• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Detroit Lakes-Pelican Rapids Fishing Reports - Lake Conditions

Crappie bite is on!  Not on beds yet but finding them staging out in that 9-12' depths on every lake I normally chase crappies this time of year....finding temps 50-54 depending on whether muddy bottom or not.  Pressure has been more than normal...lots of people out enjoying the weather and the bite!

Took a buddy out..he was wanting to get some crappies for an Easter fish fry for his family. Went to a spot in Ottertail Cty....larger lake with a muddy bottom bay...they are still holding deeper...expect them to move to beds within a week.

20170413_172257.thumb.jpg.bc18c566a489465c1927352824ebafbd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I took the boat out for a test run last weekend to a quiet little lake. Water temp was 54. This weather isn't going to help with the water temps.

Went fishing for a couple hours yesterday. Water temp was 48-50. It was a nice day to be out on the water. My arms and neck are a lovely shade of red to prove it. Make sure you're smarter than me and toss a tube of sunscreen in the tackle box before you head out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

Made it out for a quick trip after work today. The weather could not have been any better. the fish didn't cooperate though. We caught a handful of small walleyes that had to go back to do some growing. They were caught from 18-25 feet. I don't know if I should've been deeper but it was nice to get out again after a few weeks off. Most walleyes were caught on worms along with a bunch of perch. The best part about the weather today was that it was so nice it really didn't matter if the fish didn't bite. It was just nice to be out in the boat and enjoying the sunset on the lake. I forgot how peaceful the lakes can be during the week. The only sunset that comes close to one in the enjoyed in the boat is one sitting in a tree stand. 

• 3 months later...

Hearing some shallow lakes are 4-6" but also seen some very sketchy videos of people having 4-5" and 10 feet away they have 1/2".  Hopefully people are being safe as they go out there.

10 day forecast doesn't show anything with low temps below 15 degrees.  It might make ice but it wont be making it necessarily fast.

Went out early Sunday on smaller lake before the Vikes game...5" of good ice and it was growling so making more before it warmed up.

Caught a bunch...pic of the dozen crappies we kept...but it was fast and furious from 7-9am

20171119_095432.thumb.jpg.353dbee1be9c48c2d7d7d3d399e96351.jpg

bb, what depth are you finding them in?  I went out on Wednesday to a lake that has decent numbers of crappies, but I couldn't find them.  Drilled a bunch of holes, but more on the break and in the basin.  Maybe should have looked more in the weeds?  Thanks.

Made it out yesterday for a little test run.  Couldn't keep the 2-3" perch off of the jigging pole.  12-16" pike were active as heck! lol  About an hour before dark I was trying a new rippin rap and had my graph just light up with fish but none would bite.  Switched to a tungsten jig and slammed 6 huge gills in 2 minutes and that was it for fish till dark.  Ended up with a 16" eye on the rippin rap right at dark.  Was a boring day on the ice except for the kids riding around on skates yelling and sliding the 5 gallon bucket banging it on the ice.  If it wasn't so loud from them I think fishing would have been better.

On 11/27/2017 at 11:31 AM, Lotharski said:

bb, what depth are you finding them in?  I went out on Wednesday to a lake that has decent numbers of crappies, but I couldn't find them.  Drilled a bunch of holes, but more on the break and in the basin.  Maybe should have looked more in the weeds?  Thanks.

One lake they are shallow in the weeds 5-6' and the other they are on the inside edge just before it drops off into the muddy basin

Good to see some are getting out. What are you seeing for ice thickness? I'm hoping this snow doesn't mess up the lakes that have some ice on them and it can thicken up some. I was hoping to get out this weekend but I know the wife won't approve of me bringing the little man out and I know there's no way I'm getting out on a lake without him. 

We had 7" of crystal clear ice measured across a 2 acre area that we drilled holes.  We had to cross a white crack/pressure ridge though that gave us a not so comfy feeling but we dropped all the gear except rope and my buddy used a spud par to check ice crossing the spot and it was plenty safe.  Then slowly one at a time crossing pulling our gear.  Ice was really booming when we showed up mid morning and as temp increased it slowly got quieter.  This was a bigger shallower lake though.  I've heard good ice conditions but just second hand from HOL.  I'm sure by the weekend a lot of lakes are going to be walkable.  

A lot of lakes opened up with this warm weather.  I tried checking a couple of lakes this past weekend but I couldn't even get on the ice because of the thin ice or lack of at the shoreline.  With this cold sustained weather I'm thinking the smaller lakes should be walkable again.  Or I'm hoping so.......

That is exactly correct.  I'm not saying every lake should be walk able but I I have a feeling after seeing the 14 day forecast according to weather.com it only has one day above freezing (36 on 12/10) and multiple days with single digit low temps we should be making good ice quickly.  I'm hoping to check a few lakes out this weekend and try to get to a few of my favorite spots if ice conditions allow and I can find a fishing partner.  I never go on the ice this time of the year without a "Buddy" and hopefully you do the same.  When we went out on Sunday we stayed decent distance apart while walking and lead person was using a spud bar with every step.  I was in the back with a long rope in case something were to happen.

• 2 weeks later...

WARNING a buddy was on  MELISSA and was aiming towards the crappie hole in the NE Corner/First break to fish out there last night.  He was checking ice and was having 10" of ice then hit 3"!  Please be careful out there.  Needless to say he turned around and went back to the access.

• Thumbs Up 3

I saw a bunch of permanent houses on little Detroit on Friday. Now I see this report. Everyone be safe and do some checking before driving out. I was told on Friday that there was 11" on little Detroit. 

http://www.inforum.com/news/accidents/4378927-3-escape-suburban-after-it-plunges-lake-christmas-eve

Went out to Lida yesterday just past the village a ways in 17'...had 18" of ice.  The big houses were piling on like crazy...steady stream most of the time.  I caught 16 crappies but only 3 that measured over the 11" minimum to keep, caught some nice gills as well. Many crappies in that 10.5" to 10.9" range which would be perfect eaters on all other lakes but that 11" minimum does keep the population up and I have caught several over 15" over the years on Lida.

• Thumbs Up 2

Witnessed a strange occurrence yesterday on a local lake...I was driving on but had to wait for a guy pulling a 30ft brand new Ice Castle off the lake...steep access...pulling it with a new Chev 2500...got 3/4 the way up and with the cold weather the access had become very icy...he could not make it all the way up....weight of ice castle actually slid the truck back down the access road off the side bank into the trees....damaged the ice castle in the rear...hole puncture...and whatever else he may have found later for damage...quite the bummer.

Ouch that sounds a bit expensive but a risk people take trying to get on and off lakes.  I know this year I've had to pull one person out of the ditch that was back in there on a logging road.  Pretty sure he broke his rear end because only one wheel was spinning.  

Was on a few lakes this weekend ice varied from 11-18"  Buddies tried McDonald and only had 8" of ice.  They got their vehicle off quickly

Lida has 24" in most areas where houses are...getting crappies/sunfish in 18" there...went to another lake yesterday 20" of ice and fished a 30' hole...nothing showed up till 5:15 then it was game on but nothing suspended...caught all the crappies on the bottom in 30' which is a first for me...they are usually suspended around 20' in this hole...been a strange bite thus far

• 2 months later...

WARNING!!!  Please keep an eye and check accesses before getting onto lakes.  We went onto a lake by Dent this weekend and the truck tires broke through near shore.  Scared the heck out of us when he was shooting rooster tails into the air to get onto good ice.

Tuilibee bite has picked up and people are out and catching a bunch of them!  Saw guys on Saturday having piles out in front of their fish houses.  Can't wait till the weekend, hope they will still be biting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sunday on Graham Lake south of Frazee a Polaris Ranger fell through on a plowed road in 30 feet of water.

Thursday a buddy saw too much water in the wheel tracks on a lake south by Melissa and used a spud bar as he walked out.  2nd strike in the wheel tracks and he broke through the ice.  Please be very careful on the lakes.  Driving on ANY "Road" may not be a wise decision.  I'll be driving out on a few lakes this weekend but it will probably be the last time for the year.  Take time and be careful.  

Last weekend when we were out Tuilibee fishing a group of guys hopped into the pickup and every single one of them put on their seat belt...we were in 76 feet of water 3/4 mile from the access and oh ya no windows were down.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, I've been in Iowa for work for the past three days and came into a bigger mess than your brother in law using your bait caster!

I was only able to fish on Saturday due to work.  Weather had most of my friends hesitant on going out but three of us went out chasing tuilibee.  I rarely ever release a lake I'm fishing due to protecting that lake from all the people who internet fish BUT I will be changing it on this post.  I fished Loon Lake by Vergas on Saturday morning.  We walked out from shore on the north side since the narrows by the culvert are sketchy most of the year.  We got onto the lake by 6:30/45 and it was perfect conditions.  NO Wind! 28 degrees.  Half inch of snow on the ground.  Felt amazing!  Fish were INSTANTLY Biting!  It was awesome!  I easily caught over 20 fish, sadly lost an EASY dozen at the top of the hole!  It was a BLAST!  We ended up keeping 41 nice sized tuilibee all before 11 am.  We butterfly the tullibee to all the brine to get into the meat more and this is where we started having issues.  Of the 41 tuilibee I cleaned and yes I cleaned every single one because I was raised to not waste a fish, I was only able to salvage 12 fish.  29 of the 41 fish had a round worm/tape worm thing in the meat.  I'm not talking those dark black specks I mean 3" worms in pockets throughout the fish.  Some would only have one pocket but some would have 6-10 pockets and the pockets would have a ton of worms in them.  If you are looking for catch and release head out there have fun but if your looking to weed through 70% of your fish like we did go ahead keep them but it's a waste.

I've fished Loon Lake and Rose Lake and both have worms in them!  Did we happen to get bad fish and you could go out and not get them sure...but do you butterfly your fish and inspect every single one?  Or do you notice the worms as you go to grab a bite of smoked fish?  I'm not running the risk of keeping a fish that has worms.  If I go back to either lake I'll be doing catch and release only.

Sorry for being the Debbie Downer but just sucks.  We were soo excited because they were 41 15-17" tuilibees and only able to keep 12 of them.

• 2 months later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Thanks for the report Chill.

• 3 weeks later...

Daughter came home for Father's Day and we snuck out for a couple hours mid afternoon....she loves to fish...can remeber the good old days she'd dig her own worms, pinch them in half and stand at the end of our dock and catch sunnies all morning.  PIc of her and a couple of the crappies she caught the weekend she was home.

1226077102_ErikaCrappies.thumb.jpg.6f9ded26d326a19cb316b1ed45bf7cca.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1