• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Detroit Lakes-Pelican Rapids Fishing Reports - Lake Conditions

Took a couple of vacation days and had less than three hours of sunshine in those days. Previous post was Thursday. Friday we went to Bass Lake up north and caught 15 walleyes. Kept 11 ran out of bait twice. Saturday we hit Tamarac, nothing, Island, one walleye, and Many Point, three largemouth. Buddy got sick and went home this morning.

Was in the area this past weekend and had a very small window of time to fish on Saturday afternoon. We fished for 1.5 hrs and it was non-stop action. We were able to get a two-man limit of walleyes and released about 15-20 more. Ran out of minnows. It was the best fishing I've experienced in a long time. Get out there if you can! If you can handle the cold, you will be rewarded.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

out on a small lake south of lake park. had 8inches in the hole I checked of good ice. Walked out and fished 11am to 1pm with a few small northern, bluegill, and a 18inch bass. Was fun to be on the ice again! about 18ft of water.

stopped by big c on north access and chiseled a few rocks thrown out probably a day earlier and tossed back to shore and checked ice a few 100ft out...about 3-4inches.full-45226-39539-999177_1010394013394193

full-45226-39540-1424330_101039397535692

full-45226-39541-1463415_101039397829752

just got back from a local lake-----6-8 inches of ice. Guys are running 4 wheelers out and even a hardside. Ended up with this one walleye full-20662-39654-p1000223.jpg

Great to hear Dairyman. I believe I met you on the dock last spring on "a Lake" cool was nice meeting you. We are heading out today for the first time this year. The weather looks right so I am hoping for a great start to the ice season.

Bite is excellent on area lakes. Limited out on crappies last 2 evenings and those in a little shallower than myself fishing for walleyes are picking up plenty of nice eyes. Get out and get em, they certainly have their feed bags on right now. Lakes I have been on have had 7-8" of good ice.

Fishing with my daughter and as she was playing out on the ice she came running over to tell me there was a car driving out. 9" of ice and she thought it was a bad idea.

Had a good outing yesterday evening. Eyes were on fire from 3-4:30 then the crappies moved in after that. Caught a really fat 23" eye and some eaters along with bunch of crappies and kept a few of those. 23 incher went back down, on the pics that blood on the eye is from me, pretty bad cut on my finger from her gill plate trying to get her out of the hole. Caught eyes on Red Rattlin Flyer tipped with hole fat head and crappies on a red glow frosty spoon tipped with minnow head. 10" of ice, slush in many spots.

full-39626-40132-walleye12813.jpg

full-39626-40133-combofisg12813.jpg

Heading out today... It'd be nice to have a sled or 4 wheeler. Until the lakes solid enough to drive on... Guess I'll be walking.

I wish other fishermen were in the business of helping others know where to go. I've noticed MN fishermen keep everything tight lipped. As for ND, it seems like they are all very helpful on where to go.

Don't get me wrong... I get it!!! Hahaha BUT HELP A BROTHER OUT!!

Wish me luck, I'll let you know how it goes tonight

Good looking fish BBfenatic! Looks like you had an awesome afternoon! Thanks for sharing your presentations! I like when folks do that:)

Has anyone been out on Lake Fifteen? Any idea how much ice is on the lake? Thinking about hitting the ice this weekend!

Got out last night and this morning on area lakes. Last night I fished and 17 1/2 feet ended up catching around 8(9 or 10 inch) bluegills, one walleye, five Crappie's and an array of other species!!! A different story this morning.... Almost skunked.

Just talked to a friend on Star Lake 12/18/13 his report was the first hole he drilled flooded one heck of an area, I said talk he said he couldn't believe it either. Slush all over sinking in to it etc. so he pulled out of there before we got settled in and Dead lake is it this winter I guess. So to check his story a friend working in Fergus falls said I'll stop by there on the way back to fargo and check it out, he said our buddy Chris is no where to be seen on Star Lake usual spot easy to ID fishhouse, so I guess he told me the truth this time, but it stinks for x-mas break coming, we used to get plenty of pike to pickle on star, some big sunnies at times and a scud walleye here or there, what does Dead lake have to offer, maybe I just don't like the name.

Ran my wheeler out on the lake last nite for some fishing. Boy was it flooded. I was chained up in the back and even then it was touch and go coming off the lake. The only way I would try it again was if I had chains on the front tires too. Done with that lake----- time to find another. Oh yeah---the fishing was lousy

Was out on Height of Land lake today fishing 12/21/13. Had a good 14 inches of ice with slush in some spots. A buddy of mine put his house out on Lake Ida by DL they drove there truck out Im not sure on the ice thickness there. If ur driving out be careful of slush. If anyone could share current ice conditions from lakes around the DL area it would be appreciated thanks.

Was out on a lake near Naytawaush today. Lots of snow, lots of slush, and less ice than I expected (8-10"). Fishing wasn't great either. Don't know if you'd be able to get around very easily with a pickup - if you are brave enough to venture out.

Thanks for the info. I hope to get some more updates on the ice conditions. It seems like the ice is pretty much thick enough to venture out on with vehicles as long as you can avoid bad slush spots. Like I said if anyone can share any info on this subject Im sure others will appreciate it also. Be careful and safe out there.

I just left post on Big C thread - 7" of good ice below frozen slush where I was. Not even close to driveable there. I'd say touch and go wherever you are and check it out thoroughly before thinking of driving out. Blanket comments about ice conditions in general don't work this year unfortunately. Some lakes trucks all over...other places not even close. We all would hate to have someone drive out and run into ice conditions like I experienced on Big C Friday night.

That is weird how different the conditions are on different lakes. I was on Rush Lake sough of Perham yesterday. Brought the snowmobile with the intention of taking that out. When we got there were about 30 vehicles out on the ice so we just ended up driving out also. 13" of good ice and no slush that I saw.

This Thursday - Saturday (26th - 28th) I planned on taking the older two boys to Gull Lake by Brainerd ice fishing. Talked to the guy I'm renting the icehouse from and he's not sure if he'll be able to get the icehouse out. Too much snow there on top of the ice insulating it. We'll see if this cold snap changes anything.

I was out in Trader Bay on Leech Lake yesterday the bite was slow. We caught a 16" and a 22" walleye just before dark and that was about it. There was about a foot of snow on top the ice with bigger drifts and slush in spots. We drove a mile out to the ice house in a ford f150, had to shovel out 4 times but we ended up making a good path out and had no problems on the way in. There was 16" of solid ice under the snow and slush.I know Leech is getting out of the DL area but it is wierd how different the ice conditions are on different lakes. If you are gonna venture out do your homework and be careful out there.

Anyone know ice thickness on Franklin and if pickups are driving out? Have siblings from Phoenix wanting to fish childhood lake tomorrow afternoon but need to be able to haul them out. wink

Any help would be appreciated!

I just called down to Lakeland True Value off Hwy 59 in Pelican Rapids for ya. They told me that Franklin has 14" of solid ice, with some slush in spots. They said it sounds like trucks have been driving out there but just be aware of the slush. I hope this helps you out, good luck fishing and be safe out there.