• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Detroit Lakes-Pelican Rapids Fishing Reports - Lake Conditions

Hey all, this Saturday I am tasked with taking 3 in-experienced fishermen out to wet a line... Can anyone tell me a good pan fishing lake, that is easily accessible with a pick up, and close to Fargo? I'd like to make this a memorable day so I can turn them in to the future of fishermen! Anything helps...

Hey all, this Saturday I am tasked with taking 3 in-experienced fishermen out to wet a line... Can anyone tell me a good pan fishing lake, that is easily accessible with a pick up, and close to Fargo? I'd like to make this a memorable day so I can turn them in to the future of fishermen! Anything helps...

The 2 lakes I'd recommend for easy panfish both have fishing derby's this weekend....Lida and Little Detroit. Height of Land just E of DL might be a good option right out in the middle hole has a good gill bite but might be tough to drive on(not sure) and other than that any other "good bite" lakes I fish are walk on.....no vehicles or are a trek though the woods and out onto the lake.

With that being said Lida is big enough and the Derby is mainly on the North end....just go past the Derby holes about 200 yd S to that 15' depth where there are about 20 house in a group....that is a great sunny spot....plus your newbies might enjoy seeing all the commotion with the Derby going on......and enough people fishing out there that there's good roads all over so travel will not be an issue.

The lakes I have been fishing have still have that basin crappie bite going on, I've been fishing in the evenings after work, and have been doing well for the first hour on those aggressive fish, and then they start to slow down. Downsizing after that initial flurry of hot action has been critical. Also, have a rod dedicated to a Lindy Darter, the smallest one they make. I pick up a few crappies using that everytime I go out, once you think the bite is done drop it down and give it a few rips, you will be surprised as to what will show up and smack that lure. They won't take a jig and a minnow, but that Darter will make them turn on.

24 feet has seemed to be the best depth for me on 3 different lakes.

Can we buy tickets for the derby on the ice,and what time does it start? I was there last year but i think CRS is setting in. Thanks!

Coming up to DL this weekend fishing can anyone tell me how the travel conditions are on the lakes around there for example Lida,Detroit, Leaf etc. Will I beable to get around with an ATV and plow or will I need a snowmobile? Or can you just get around with a pickup?

Mr. Crappie we recieved about 30" of snow the last few weeks, 18" plus this past weekend. Lots of snow and stong winds result in deep hard drifts. There are quite a few houses out yet so these guys will have to have plows to get them off. So there could be plowed roads to follow but if not then bring your snowmobile and portables as off road travel will be difficult at best...

Glad I pulled my house on Sat. I hated doing already, but I thought I could always put it back out if travel conditions are decent.

It's ugly out here right now. I am just getting in from trying to get a house moved that wanted to head to LOW in the morning. They are going to LOW, without the house! I spent most of the day plowing, shoveling and trying to move some of the 16.5" that landed in my yard! While it was a horrible use of a "vacation day", it needed to be done. Got a call from a buddy who tried to get to his house, using a plow truck and a back up truck...they were stuck by 9:00: I went out and helped dig, shovel, dig, pull, push and dig. By the time we got to the house, the road we came in on was drifted and the house got stuck in the tracks. We dropped the house, and came in....the real beauty is, it appears that slush will be forming very quickly. We had slush of 1/2 in as we went out, and about 1.5" as we came in. The little ponds are done. The shallow ponds will winter kill, this is perfect "rearing pond" weather, if the goal is a true "rearing pond." Unless you have a sled, or a plowed road, the DL area is going to be tough for a while.

Or use your legs that God gave you and get out and fish!!

I plan on getting out and doing some walking around this weekend! Heck I can't sit back and watch those lakes with nobody fishing them!!

I'm heading tomorrow to attempt to retrieve my brothers wheelhouse off cormorant. Is it still terrible. Am I going to be able to get out there with my 4 wheel drive Tahoe. I believe it is out front of that bar swannys or whatever it's called.

Please let me know.

Was out yesterday to a small lake.After helpin a couple get there pickup and sixwheeler unstuck at the access. I got a few sunnies and four crappies and i think made a believer of the two about chains for your tires after i drove right out of snow to my doors.They wanted to pay me but i told them it's all apart of fishing people helpin people.

Went out to small lake last night I have never fished before but it had a road plowed to where a house was so I thought I'd give it a try. Fished in 26' for a couple hours just before dark, found a bunch of small crappies which is good for the future, then some bigger ones came in suspended only 10-15' down, kept a few and one bigger gill. Pics below:

full-39626-30491-sauercrappies2_24_13.jp

Five more from yesterday evening, they seem to be still holding in Mid-Winter holes but should start moving soon once the melt starts. My favorite time of year to hunt down monster slabs is late-late ice!

full-39626-30638-crappiessauer2_27_13.jp

Nice fish and good report. I also have been catching em in the deeper water. But recently the fish have been right on bottom. where they were once suspended 8-10' off bottom they are now tight to bottom. Been that way for a few weeks. weird. It makes them a lil tought to locate when you are drilling and looking vs dropping a jig

i've had the crappies holing to bottom also brought camera found out why bugs are comming from the mud. only find them in 25+

Decent slab caught yesterday by my buddy Jake, we caught a ton of gills too!!

f1f31b70-470d-429a-a40e-498334df4707_zps

Was out on a local DL lake last night and caught my limit of crappies. Like bbfenatic stated above the fish were still out deep. Was fishing in 27-30' and the fish were anywhere from 5-15' off the bottom.

was out yesterday after fighting my way across the lake got two crappies and some real nice perch

Went a little ways up North and fished with fellow staffer Jim Uran yesterday...we clobbered the gills all day then in evening got into some big crappies...Jim got one 14.5" just an overall tank...too bad we did not have a scale with us...that thing was a beast.

Here is the pic of the beast, the camera was a little foggy.... One of the heftiest crappies I have ever caught. Not only was it long it was tall and wide.

full-11084-30955-img_5598.jpg

Oh and here is a big bruiser gill that bbfenatic caught. We caught quite a few big gills but this one was the biggest.

full-11084-30965-2013_03_0917.03.14.jpg

did you have to walk out to the spot or were you able to ride out??

Really nice fish!!!!!!!!