• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Detroit Lakes-Pelican Rapids Fishing Reports - Lake Conditions

Made it out for my first trip of the season today. About 15 miles east of Detroit Lakes, and the lake I was on had 8 solid inches of good clear ice. There were even a few small wheel and skid houses out on the lake.

Drove by Height of Land and there were about 8 small permanents sitting out on the east side of the lake.

Looked like someone drilled a few test holes out from the access at Boyer---made it out about 100 years and must have thought better of it and turned around.

Good luck to everyone heading out. With the snow missing us for the most part and some nice cold temps, we should be making some good ice now.

That's a good question. Not many people posting but it was a slow time of year and one of the few threads that had activity. Now that the ice is here there will be more reports coming in.

yeah---I was out on DL last nite-----8 inches of ice. There was a little bit of slush at the landing but that didn't stop anyone. There was a 4x4 out there too. He gave me a ride out to a farther spot. I had to walk all the way back though smilesmile Ended up with just one walleye,it was couple of bites and that was it for the nite. I was fishing in about 15 feet of water.I went to Sauer tonite,nothing exciting,just one crappie. But the season has started anyhow

Heading up this weekend, height of land area. Anyone got news on Toad, Island, Tamarac, thickness, bite? Any help would be appreciated.

I heard this morning that they are moving out hard sides on Toad lake

The way Tamarac got hammered last year---I don't know about that one---better have a back up one for this lake

Hard sides are out on Height-o-Land

I was on Detroit lakes on monday--8 inches of ice

"The way Tamarac got hammered last year---I don't know about that one--better have a back up one for this lake"

Dairyman, did you fish Tamarac a lot last winter? Did you see a bunch of big largemouth go home with people? The previous three summers, a high school buddy and I caught a ton of really big largemouth (all released), but this past summer, we only caught one over 5lbs.

Out on leif yesterday and had a great day catching gills as well as a few of everything else. All the gills went back down and are waiting for someone else.

Yeah--I was out there a lot---------I'm thinking for the most part it was the sunnies and crappies that got slammed. On the weekends you had to park on the road it was so crowded. I talked to people coming off the lake that were from the Brainard and St Cloud area. Big time pressure!!!!!!! My fishing was pretty much catch and release

I was living up there last year and I did about 90 percent of my fishing out there for the first half of the season. The bite was awsome, I've never seen so many giant gills come up the hole and yes alot of big bass were pulled up but I never saw one kept. I decided to give up when i talked to someone from Iowa who heard about the bite. I think the bass population is fine but the panfish took a serious blow. I had never seen a lake turn that fast.

Yea, I just looked. It said we reached the max of 5 posts. We'll have to start a new topic every 5 posts then.

I have been to silver several times really slow was to lee only small perch. Was to west olaf today only a couple snakes most places i been 6" of ice.

Made it out to Prarie today for the first time. A friends son has a spear house out so I set up about forty yards away in fourteen feet.Marked lots of fish right away but action was slow till about 9:30 then the pannies and pike were active. Lots in the 4-5 inch range with a few in the 6-7 range.

The pike were 20 inchers with some girth not hammer handles. I released three, Tater took one in the spear house for supper. Had several chase sunnies up to the hole. Also one large mouth bass 3-4 lbs.

All in all not a bad first day,6-8 inches of clear solid ice and got checked by the CO.

Went out sat/sun. I think the weather turned everything off but the little snakes. A lot of sniffers in about 18-15ft but no takers. They just were not interested in any presentation. 7-9 good solid inches of ice though.

Any report on the ice on Lida? Also, does anyone know if they bar that was on Lida last year is returning or relocating to a different lake?

Was out on Little DL over the weekend. Lots of perms showing up out there. A good 8 to 11" of excellent quality ice out there.

Took vacation day to get in three days of fishing this weekend. Too chicken to go out in the rain and icy roads on Saturday. Sunday, not much better, but did get out for an hour or so on Deadshot Bay. Only got one bluegill. Marked quite a few fish. Went out with my brother and the folks on a small lake south of Edwards. What a mess. Almost two inches of water on the ice with just enough ice on top to make it slippery as all getout. Mom and Dad each speared a northern. Mom missed one that they thought might have been ten pounds or better. I caught four or five perch and one northern. Did miss a big northern. Set the hook, and it took off like it was shot out of a cannon, felt a lot of weight then...snap.

made it back out on DL tonite-----------there was a car on the ice about 3-400 yards out.........wow. There were plenty of 4x4's out running too

We're fortunate to be on the ice. You don't have to go far South before the ice is suspect.

I'm headed to Alexandria for the weekend and am leaving the ice gear at home. I called for a report - no ATVs on the ice.

I was out last weekend with the ATV. It's great to be mobile.

Have a great weekend on the ice.

Drove my half-ton all the way across a lake to my spear house this morning. About 30 minutes north of DL. Ice was over 12 inches everywhere I checked.