• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Detroit Lakes-Pelican Rapids Fishing Reports - Lake Conditions

What are you guys finding for water temps? I am heading up to Pelican on friday and was just making sure it is safe to fish. My dad saw 2 7+lbs walleyes floating on an area lake. HE actually saw the fish caught and released. Everything was done right. ONly caught in 22' or so too.

Thanks Leechbait, I will put that one on my lakes to hit in the near future. I am going to give Munson a shot tomorrow. I fish for Bass 95% of the time and been having a great time trying out a bunch of new lakes close to Fargo. Thanks again for the info.

Definitely a good bass lake. If you ever make it to Snider give me an email there are a few other lakes that are awesome for bass... With no houses on the shoreline at all.

Wow what a roller coaster weather pattern. Hard to make any plans with weather this crazy. So I don't make plans grin I went out last night on a hunch, I didn't leave my house until 8:00 and made the 10 minute trip to the lake after the rain and hammered the fish. Me and my brother caught and mostly released 30+ crappies and a half a dozen walleyes. All of this in an hour and a half, and all anchored in the same spot grin

Weeds weeds weeds, it was a defined weed edge next to deep water. Anchored out from it about 30 feet and casted in along the edge with either a slip bobber, or a jig n minnow combo!

Talked my high school buddy into trying new water. We went to Long Lost Lake. Must have been fun. We planned on fishing there for a few hours and moving on to Jugler, but spent the whole day on Long Lost. Lots of largemouth and some smallmouth, mostly on buzzbaits. A few northerns, one in the 7-8 lb range and some bluegills. So much stuff to fish on one lake. Had a big fish hit a bluegill, fought it for a few minutes and it spit me before we got a look at it. Didn't mind the 10mph request on the lake for a lake that size if the locals would abide by it also.

I went to Munson the other day and got into the largemouth, but they were all pretty small. Around 10"-12", one was 15". It would be a great place to take kids as there are LOTS of gills in the lake, and it is very clear for this time of year. I made it to Sallie also and got 1 bass and 1 northern.

Went out yesterday morning. I was a bad guy and skipped church. My son and I fished from 9:00 am until 11:30am. Fishing panfish under the calm water/ bright skies is always a blast. Trolling small plastics along the shoreline weedlines produced limits of good eater crappies and a few decent sunnies. Yum!

I had a buddy from back home come over and we hit Pearl and Boyer for Bass. Pretty slow, caught a few but had a great time.

Took the twirps out yesterday afternoon. It was a little bit chilly with the east wind and occasional sprinkle but we had a very fun time with the pan fish. After 2 hours of fishing they had a livewell full of crappies/sunnies. I just drove the boat and took the fish off the line. They did all the rest! Simply tossing/trolling small plastics along the outside weedlines. About as easy as it gets. I found it a bit odd that on Thursday the lake was buzzing with boats and that yesterday we were the only boat on the lake....

Back after last weeks vacation by Vergas. Had excellent walleye fishing around the full moon. Trolled rapalas in 6 to 13 fow from 10:30 until 2 am. The 6 inches of rain didn't even shut them off. Best walleye fishing we've had during the last week of July....

Took two old guys out last night that have not fished for a very long time. Had a great time cathing panfish, bass, norskies. Caught lots of fish in the shallows strickly on plastics. Find the weed edge and the fish are there..

Tried Lida tonight. The walleyes were in the same spot I left them in a week ago, but couldn't get them to bite. I was fishing suspended fish about 20 feet down in 35 feet of water. With the wind howling, there was so much junk in the water that you couldn't go very far without fowling up. Later, I threw a gulp and jig and hooked one around 10lbs in 14 feet of water. Great fight, took around ten minutes to get a look at her. Kind of hard to get fired up over a sheephead though. Now that I found a job, I hope to get back fishing as much as I had before I lost the previous job. Sounds stupid, but hard to get out when you have little money for gas or bait.

That doesn't sound stupid at all, it takes money to fish. Doesn't take much money, but it takes money.

I went out last night for the first time in a while, and decided to go to a lake that I wouldn't get blown around on. We trolled Lindy Shadlings around in anywhere from 10-18 feet and caught 3 walters and 4 snakes in an hour and a half, even caught 2 big 12-13" crappies on them. Everything ust SMACKED those Shadlings. The biggest walter was 19" and he hit the bait HARD, turned and ran for 5 seconds like a pike. I had the gal and the 2 year old with so I didn't stay until dark because the bugs are bad out in the brush right now.

I think I'll go out and chase some crappies tonight for the pan.

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled cranks on another little lake in the area late last night and ended up with a few keeper eyes. I pulled a #7 shadling in about 14 to 18 feet of water along the edge of some deep cabbage beds. I found some nice bass and northerns mixed in as well.

This is a good time to dust of the cranks fellas. Find a nice gradual drop along the weeds and pull them back and forth.

Chose Rose today thinking it might be a good lake with the wind. WRONG! No walleyes, but caught some largemouth bass. Towed my second broken down boat to shore of the year. Funny how many people drive by these guys and don't offer to help.

The bite has been real good the last few weeks on White Earth. The best tactic has been rigging W/leaches 15'-21'. Sad to say I am now out of leaches of any size. Anyone know were to buy large or jumbo's? I tried a few shops in the area all out of anything but small, I was using 3 to a hook on Sunday! The panfish are to thick to currently use crawlers.

• 3 weeks later...

Fished South Lida on Sunday. Very tough in that wind to control the boat. Only got one walleye and one smallmouth bass. Both were in 18 feet of water and both on leeches. The way the walleyes are biting for me lately, I'm getting to be a pretty good largemouth bass fisherman. They have been going good and with good size.

Both were in 18 feet of water and both on leeches. .

Leeches? You must have a secret stash....I always try to save some for the late summer, but always use them up early.

High school classmate picked them up at the bait dealer in Lake Park a week and a hlf ago. They weren't huge, but really not bad for this time of year. I have about a dozen and a half left.

• 3 weeks later...

Went out last night and got 6 eyes up to 22" trollin in the shallows. Graph didn't have water temps so not sure on that. Should only get better from here on.

I had 68 degrees today and got a bunch of perch, a smallmouth, a few northerns and, finally,two walleyes. The walleyes came on nightcrawlers and spinners on a bottom bouncer. The rest of the fish came on small suckers and lindy rigs.

Fished Lida today. Got two nice walleyes before the wind picked up then spent most of the rest of the day getting only three more. Crawlers, spinners, and bottom bouncers worked best in the wind. Lindy and crawlers before the big blow.

Had a great sunday afternoon today. Decided to skip to vikes game and go out to Cotton lake and just explore a lake i have never been to. The wind was a little stiff so just went to the island and explore. Its a pretty cool place but you can tell kids must go out there to party. Beer cans and bottles in a couple huge piles. Next time I am out there will have to bring some garbage bags. Shame they had to make such a mess out there. Was a pretty fun trip even though i didnt fish barely at all.

Fished Lida yesterday. Got the first walleye within 5 minutes. Nice 16" fish. The second one came ten minutes later, 15". An hour later and the third, 23.5". And that was all she wrote. Only one more bite the whole day. Missed that one. Quit about 5:30, so might have missed out on the evening bite, but hte back couldn't take any more. Met a fisherman from Fargo by the way of Northwood, ND. Good luck if you get back out today.

Fished Big C Saturday morning from 7:30-11:00am. The bite started slow for me but eventually turned on once I figured out the depth and area. (Boy those graphing gadgets are sure slick. wink ) Once found, the fishing was pretty consistent with a 17-18" walleye every 20 minutes or so. All fish were fat, fat, fat. Water temps were anywhere from 56-60 deg depending on where I was fishing.

Saw quite a few boats out fishing going after the shallower fish. I didn't see a single fish caught and am wondering if anyone got into any.

I took a day off of work tomorrow so will try to duplicate Saturday's bite and keep a few fish for the fry pan. Shore Lunch is ready and waiting! grin

• 4 weeks later...

Fished a local lake this week with good results, found the crappies roaming a basin area in 32 FOW, Three of us in the boat plucked off 17 crappies in a couple of hours along with some bonus eyes. The crappies were between 10-12" and we kept all of them due to pulling them out of the deep water, but I won't complain.

1/8-1/16 oz jigs w/minnows seemed to do better than a jig and plastic combo.

You didn't invite me??? Way to make a guy jealous. Missing the fall crappie fishing, especially since fishing is off limits for me down here for a few weeks. I have a wicked case of tennis elboe and got a cortisone shot yesterday at the Dr.

Looking forward to the January ice fishing trip; I'll be coming that Monday to fish for crappies a few days, you'll have to take an extra day off.