• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Joe

2020 Crane Lake Kabetogama-Namakan Fishing Reports

Dan Erikson

We're at Voyagaire Lodge on the 14th and on a 54ft houseboat starting on the 15th for a week. We'll be cruising thru Sand Point by 10 am on Friday with 3 fishing boats in tow. If the ice is gone we plan to head up to the west Namakan area and move the HB closer to Crane every couple days. Hope to make Browns or Grassy Bay one of our stops near the end of the week.

Enjoyed your posts last spring!!

Dan

Dan Erikson

Found this news article from May 15th last year!

Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 8:59 am | Updated: 4:36 pm, Thu May 15, 2014.

Journal Staff Report Laurel Beager

A bird’s eye view of area lakes shows about 75 percent of Rainy Lake to be still covered in ice.

Voyageurs National Park Chief Ranger Chuck Remus reports that park pilot Steve Mazur flew over the lakes Wednesday and reported Rainy Lake is open to Alder Bay; is impassable from Alder Bay to Brule Narrows with 75-percent ice coverage; Brule Narrows is free of ice; is impassable from Brule Narrows to Kettle Falls with 75-percent ice coverage.

“A few more warm days and some rain and things may open up pretty quick, Mazur said in a report to Remus.

Remus urged area boaters to use caution on Rainy Lake.

“There is still a lot of ice floating around, and there’s always the danger of the wind blowing and the ice shift and people getting caught somewhere,” he said. “I wouldn’t recommend boating on Rainy yet.”

Ice out occurred on Kabetogama Lake Tuesday, said Remus. In addition, Mazur’s flight showed Crane Lake and Sand Point Lake to be free of ice.

Namakan Lake, reported Mazur, is open, but ice sheets were found on the southeast shore, but open through Namakan Narrow

h8go4s

May 14,2014 at Sheen Point campsite. The lake was open until I got to the bay where the campsite is located. Just blown-in ice chunks that I idled through.

full-27059-53035-img_0060a.jpg

imhatz

Hi Dan

We will launch out of Handbergs on Friday Morning May 15 we are staying at campsite S23 in Grassey right bt Staege entrance. My father inlaw and his gang started that site in the 1950's and the DNR took it over in the 1990's and made it a designated site. I watch Handbergs web cam every day and I am sure there ice will be gone in 10 days. We will be looking for you....if you are planning to fish Pike, get some head on frozen smelt they will eat the like candy.

keep in touch.

mark

Dan Erikson

Mark,

It was great following your posts from last spring! Nice Pike photo as well. We've houseboated on Lake of the Woods and Rainy Lake above Fort Frances in the past and can't wait to get a look at VNP! Sounds like the folks at Voyagaire are expecting an earlier ice out this year as well.

Hunted around for past ice out info and found a state site the showed the average ice out for North Eastern MN being the last week in April. It did say Rainy to average out at May 3rd. Ron's photo from above showing the ice jam at his camp site last season is an eye opener. Thanks for sharing that Ron!

Got a place in the Arkdale, WI area and will be bringing our boat up Tuesday evening to enjoy some fishing and turkey hunting. We do most of our fishing at Petenwell and Castle Rock the 2nd and 4th largest bodies of water in our state. Guessing you might stay busy on Green Bay?? We're big into Planer Boarding but with the MN 1 line rule we're going to have to teach ourselves some new tricks. Hoping to find a few eater eye's in the shallows but with early ice out they may all be back out to the deeper areas. Not into Bass fishing so Eye's, Pike and pan fish will be our targets.

Looks like your favorite spot is labeled Monroe Point??? I've spent a bunch of time looking at Google Earth. The VNP Sat Photos are dated 5/22/13. That's just a week after our trip's up and it does give a few hints as to where some spring fishing spots may be. Monroe Point has a couple tarps spread out and a boat beached as well. Well be trying to raise the roof at Voyagaire Lodge Thursday evening and boarding the HB early Friday. You guys staying over night in the area or driving all night and jumping in Crane Lake Friday morning?

Dan

imhatz

Hi Dan,

We drive all night and hit Handbergs in the morning and head out. We camp on the site S23...we have stayed on Brown Bay View last 4 years. This is my forst spring trip in years and I alsways stayed spring at S23. Close to all the spots for Pike and a quick run to Swansons bay.Like I said got to the handberg website and they have a web cam facing the dock. so you can see ice out...Pine point lodge has one also (but has been not working). Last year was a strange wet spring and high water....ice will go in 10 days pretty sure..I can only remember once in last 25 yrs having issue to deal with and we went for opener. We will be fisihing pike, crappies in the evening and from campsite and with dead bait for pike. Be cruising shallows looking for pike...evening be on sand bars for eyes.

stay in touch....We will have two boats on our site....one from pine point and one from handbergs. I have been logging my spots on my graph already for new areas. I have the elite 7 with the chip so I can hook up my battery in house and view all the topo maps.....no messing around cruising on the lake and wasting time.

I retire in 2 years and my retirement party will be on the houseboat for a summer trip.

Mark

mark

Dan Erikson

I have my Humminbird 788 rigged for ice fishing and have been cruising the map and marking from my recliner as well. Cant wait to be able to label them or delete them after we try them. We're hoping for some shore lunches and that will determine what we'll target. You guy's try for any Jumbo perch? Have been combing utube videos and see Kab has some dandies! Anything down in the southern waters?

Dan

Dan Erikson

Looks like standing water around Handberg's main pier! wink

imhatz

Dan,

we hang out all down in Sand point...not been to Kab. I filet northerns every day for shore lunch ...no problem. We catch lunch first then mess around for eyes and crappies. It was in the 70's at Handberg today. some rain and sun ...my guess ice gone end of the week. That would put water temps in 40's for may 14.

we will see...

Mark

big_fish_guy

this ice is honeycombing fast. walked out today and it's still pretty solid though. my guess is about 2 weeks.

imhatz

Ice out and first boat in at Handbergs Marine on Crane lake April 17, 2015

Dan Erikson

Found a Sat view that shows Crane Lake, Sand Point and the east end of Namakan all melted. It also shows Kabetogama all the way to central Namakan is melted as well. Check out the Ice Out thread for the link.

Find the border marker and follow it down to Rainy Lake and the rest of the Voyageurs chain.

Dan Erikson

Well, now that the ice will be long gone by the opener does everyone think the walleye will be back out to deep water? We'll be out on the second weekend and my best geuss says find the reefs if you want eye's for shore lunch! Be nice to get some rain between now and then too. Looks a bit shallow still. going to have to make a depth adjustment on the finder for safety sake!

cranelake

Namakan still has a good chunk of ice from blind pig channel to west of gull island as of yesterday. Anyone coming up for opener use extreme caution both at the ramps due to low low water and there are also rocks witnessed from the plane that we havent saw in the 30 + years of being up here

CL

imhatz

Dan...what is the link to view..... Talk again soon. I want to check the end of Browns Bay...I usually get ice from the spring.. mark

Dan Erikson

http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/inde...resolution=250m

Be careful, if you open this up and it's a cloudy day all you'll see is white! LOL!! There's an area at the top of the link to select which day you want to look at. If it's cloudy today, check yesterdays pic.

We're looking at 2 weeks!!! Been planning this trip for 1 1/2 years!!

Heading to Petenwell this weekend to give the boat another workout! Don't want any surprises when we hit VNP.

Building a minnow saver out of an old cooler for the 3-4hr haul to Junction Bay the first day. Do you guys take minnows and how many dozen would you typically start with? We have daily delivery if needed so a refill won't be to big of a deal.

Anybody else with a suggestion?? Pike and eye's will be the targets.

imhatz

Dan, we get minnows up there and haul them in a 5 gallon bucket with a mr bubbles aerator. Then they go in minnow keeper in the lake. I heard water temp on crane is 50 degrees.We target Pike and looks like crappies this year too...if that water temp is right the smallies will be staging or on the beds.

Dan Erikson

Mark,

We had some fun Sat on Petenwell but ended up with 10 eye's between 13 and 14.5 inches. Didn't make the 15-20" keeper slot though.

What kind of minnows do you normally find up in the area bait shops? I'm guessing we'll be getting some large minnows for pike and some medium's for eye's. Any suggestions on places to hook up with licenses on the way?

imhatz

Hi Dan,

countdown is on...only a few days to go. We always get minnows there ..basic mud minnows. I bring frozen smelt dead bait for pike from campsite full-38895-53224-dsc00604.jpg

. As for license ..you can buy them on-line through Mn DNR...saves time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dan Erikson

Mark,

Just about go time!!  We leave Wed after work for our camper at Arkdale WI. Thursday morning we'll be stopping at Superior for Breakfast and on to Voyagaire by 2-3pm.  Looks like Friday-Saturday will be nice with 70% chance rain and possible thunder on Sunday. Cloudy but less chance of rain after that.  Time will tell!  We're on the water Fri to Fri.  Planning on moving the HB into Grassy or Browns by mid week so we'll honk the horn on our way by if you guy's are still out.  My fishing boat is a 19.5 ft Spectrum in Dark Blue.  Any luck with Cell service up there?  If not I'll try posting our results after we get back to civilization!!

Thanks for sharing info Mark!  Have a safe trip!

Dan

• Thumbs Up 1

imhatz

Dan,

we head up on Thursday night be on the water Friday through Tuesday. We eat at perkins in Superior..We will have two boats at Grassy site site s23. As for weather it is what it is..it changes daily. Cell service the only luck I have heard is AT&T. We have verizon, US cellular...lose that around Orr, Enjoy Dan and good Luck...if you honk we will be watching. Some nice house boat sites in grassy an browns. Take care and luck to you and your crew. That will be us at s23

DSC00700.JPG

DSC00651.JPG

Edited by imhatz
  • Thumbs Up 1

TheAngler

Mark,

Just about go time!!  We leave Wed after work for our camper at Arkdale WI. Thursday morning we'll be stopping at Superior for Breakfast and on to Voyagaire by 2-3pm.  Looks like Friday-Saturday will be nice with 70% chance rain and possible thunder on Sunday. Cloudy but less chance of rain after that.  Time will tell!  We're on the water Fri to Fri.  Planning on moving the HB into Grassy or Browns by mid week so we'll honk the horn on our way by if you guy's are still out.  My fishing boat is a 19.5 ft Spectrum in Dark Blue.  Any luck with Cell service up there?  If not I'll try posting our results after we get back to civilization!!

Thanks for sharing info Mark!  Have a safe trip!

Dan

​Hey Dan, Buddy and I headed up Thursday-Sunday camping at McManus Island West (N18).  We'll be in a Red Lund Fisherman 1750.  In the past I have had good luck with ATT service but not sure about this area.  Interesting deal that they set up a permit reservation system this year.  Nice in that you are guaranteed a site, but I will kind of miss freedom of moving around sites unrestricted.  What do you think?

Good luck with the fishing.  we are going to try and get after some big northerns, and of course walleye.  My friend is an avid fly fisherman and is going to try using some streamers.  Dress warm and tight lines.

Steve

• Thumbs Up 1

imhatz

good luck steve

• Thumbs Up 1

Dan Erikson

6 More hrs of work and then our adventure begins!!  We'll be right in your area on Friday Steve!  We'll keep a weather eye out for you!  Hoping to bump into Mark as well.  Weather is looking very bareable so this should be an awesome trip.  We're doing the houseboat deal so the res system won't effect us so much.  We can pull up on any sandy beach and park if need be.  The res system looks good on paper but enforcement if some choose to not play be the rules looks a little scetchy?  Time will tell.

Good fishing!

See you out there!!!

Dan

• Thumbs Up 1

imhatz

Hey dan,

hope your trip was good....we had 4 seasons in 5 days ! Think we saw you motor by in the houseboat through grassy towing a few boats behind. Must have been you...no one else except one boat all week. Fishing was fine...nothing big but ate fish every day. Water temps were low 50's to mid 50's nothing higher even in shallow bays. Water was low and we could not even get back to Staege. How did you do ?

Mark

• Thumbs Up 2

Dan Erikson

Mark,

That was us!  We cruised up to the top of the bay and parked at the Leach Bay HB site. Can't tell you what a thrill it was to finally get on these bodies of water!  We were up on Namakan the evening the storm hit parked in an awesome little cove on the west side of Blind Pig Island.  Lost 6' of beach front over night!!  Shocked it came up that far in such a short time.  We did OK on Northerns in just about any shallow bay no matter what lake we were on.  Had meals whenever we wanted. The Walleye remained pretty tough to get consistantly. Biggest eye was 22.5 and biggest northern was 21.  Northerns averaged 18-20 on crank baits.

The first day we cruised up to Namakan and stayed at Deep Slough HB site.  Posted a couple youtube clips from their. Jumped in the boats and headed to Junction Bay.  Water seemed to low to move the HB up across from the waterfall so we just stayed a few hrs and fished.  Think we saw Steve and his red boat!  Gave him a honk but my horns kinda whimpy. Spent 2 days here and moved on Sunday to Blind Pig. We were hoping to move to Depthfinder View HB site but as luck would have it another HB slid in the evening before we were gonna move. We were trolling around the nearby islands and found the undesignated site on Blind Pig.  Awesome site this time of year but with a nearby marsh I bet its empty most of the summer. To many blood suckers in the air I'll bet.  We had no bug problems.  We did however have a snow day!!  Had 3 brave fishermen try to tackle the weather for an hour and a half LOL!!!    They joined the rest of us for beverages and a routy afternoon of liars dice. This day the HB was worth every penny!!!  I'll post more later.  More you tube clips to come as well.   PS I snuck back to Staege Bay with the trolling motor.

Should have a clip of that posted soon too.

Dan

• Thumbs Up 2

Northlander

Anyone going to be on Kab June 7-14th? We will be up there staying at Voyageur Park Lodge. Black lund explorer with twin yamahas.

Genofish

My son and I will be up there June 8-12, staying at site K16 Lost Bay.  White Lund 

gonfishn

Coming up 6/6-6/13.  Can't wait!  How's the fishing?

mbartelt86

A group of 5 of us buddies will be up there 6/7-6/14.  Putting in at CLRS and staying at S13, right by the Namakan Narrows. Black Alumacraft and red Lund. First time at VNP for all of us!  I went through the reports over the years for June timeframe trying to get an idea of what depth to start at but came to the realization the walleyes could be anywhere.  Any reports on recent success and what depth you found them would be great.  I've never fished walleyes as deep as some people are saying they've found them, but I'm ready to try it! 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A very successful week for Lake of the Woods anglers.  Great walleye fishing continues with best success in 17-28 feet of water, with walleyes also being caught shallower.  A number of areas along the south shore from Pine Island, Morris Point, Zippel Bay, Long Point and Rocky Point are producing.  Knight / Bridges Island area also still holds good numbers and size of fish.  Anchored up and vertical jigging, drifting crawler harnesses and pulling crankbaits all working.  Gold / pink  / orange / glow all working well.  A nice mix of eaters, slot fish to be released between 19.5" and 28" and a good number of trophies over 28".  As last week, big pike and jumbo in the mix.  
      On the Rainy River...   Most walleyes are being targeted and caught in the lake.  There is always a population of resident walleyes that live in the river.  Best depth is 12-24'.  Jigs and minnows working the best however trolling a crankbait and covering water is also effective.  Smallmouth bass near rocky structure.   Good pike hanging in and adjacent to bays.  The sturgeon season is closed until July 1st when the season re-opens.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake and stay in MN waters.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Fishing continues to be excellent.  Walleyes being caught on 5-7' flats with snelled spinners and crankbaits as well as jigging rocky points in 10 - 20 feet of water.  Walleyes being caught in many different areas on the Minnesota side.  Pike in bays and creek mouths.  Water temps 55-57 degrees. 

• chopper72
      By chopper72
      I am going up to camp in the middle of June.  Anybody have any suggestions about baits and depths etc. for Walleyes and Bass?
    • Squirt
      By Squirt
      Going to lake vermillion for the first time. June 13. Staying near Arrow Head Point, Isle of Pines. Only have a small boat with 15 HP so looking for some tips for where to go for big pike that is reasonably close given my boat. I do not mind a drive, but I know how conditions can get on big water.  I also plan to go to Trout Lake (reason for bringing the small boat) If anyone has tips on Trout Lake for Pike.  Thanks and #tightlines!
    • Philco
      By Philco
      I just moved to Minnesota, I live in Maplewood and looking for somewhere near by to fish for catfish from the shore. Any suggestions?
    • Dave Bonjour
      By Dave Bonjour
      im, new to this sight,and my wife and i will be going to Lake Osakis for a few days in mid June to target walleye and crappie,any tips and hints will be helpful,,Thanks
    • DonkeyHodey
      By DonkeyHodey
      Don’t ya love when the weather forecasters are wrong?  S’pose to rain all weekend, but we were blessed with overcast/partly sunny weather.

Over the weekend, we fished around on 3 little lakes (all <200 acres) in Bemidji area (Clearwater county).  One lake was already up to 66 degrees in the middle! 
      Most vegetation is still low except a few lily pads were just hitting the surface at the shallows; bulrushes are still dried/brown.  With the warmer weather this week, I’ll bet the lakes will start filling out with vegetation in a matter of days and probably be growing fast.

Sunny/crappie bite was nice on Sat; dead on Sunday—had to work to find them though.  (Morning bites were poor--Afternoons much better.  Evening is always good…)
      (males were staging; females weren’t around yet)  Their location varied between hugging emergent bulrushes to being suspended at ~8 feet in ~15 feet of water.  (the suspended ones weren’t biting, though)  We were using slip bobbers with 1/32 flu flus and nightcrawlers.
      Found some nice perch hugging the bottom in 7-10 FOW jigging with 1/16 pink/white beetle-bou jigs.

Once sonny boy starting catching northerns casting a shad rap, then princess wanted to catch a nort too; so our fishing trip shifted from casting bobbers to trolling with spoons and the norts were very cooperative—getting 1-2 strikes every time down a simple shoreline of ~100 yds.  Norties were fat and healthy!
      Princess caught her PB northern!

Hoping to be back fishing around in Stearns and Morrison county (central MN) this weekend and got another getaway planned for next week.  Happy Fishing!
    • Mr. 5 pounder
      By Mr. 5 pounder
      I've been going up to the areas mentioned for 20 plus years now and ended up buying a cabin in the Bovey area. Looking to hear and share some fishing reports about the surrounding lakes. Never keep much besides some pesty northerns and panfish (which are plentiful) for the occasional lunch. So, I highly respect the area, but if you know the area at all, you will never be able to fish all its lakes in a lifetime... so some well informed fishing reports is always welcome. Again, I emphasize "smaller lakes," because the bigger ones (Jessie, Round, Wabana, etc) all have fishing reports available. Post if you're interested and lets get a good conversation going. 
    • Bonez
      By Bonez
      I tried to search and found a few old posts regarding Superior National Forest (quoted at the end of my post). I usually go grouse hunting in the Superior National Forest every fall, but I've never been up there fishing. I'm planning to head up there in ~1 month with a couple of my friends and their families and we will be bringing canoes. We're hoping to catch some walleye ideally. When I've been up in the fall hunting we usually try to camp by one the many lakes (Wilson, Whitefish, Silver Island, Bone...). The posts at the end are over a decade old already. I'm sure that some of it hasn't changed, but I was wondering if anyone has any good tips for fishing in the SNF? I perused DNR LakeFinder for the lakes in the area we usually go to that have walleyes: Timber, Finger, Sister, Dam Five, Elbow, Frear, Ninemile, T Lake, Windy, Harriet, Wilson, Toohey, Four Mile, Whitefish, Silver Island. Anyone have any general or specific tips for this area? We'd be in canoes, so don't need a lake that has a launch, and maybe that adds benefit getting to a lake that potentially has less pressure.

------------------------------------------------------------

"There are a number of areas you could get to easily with just about any vehicle. Lake Eighteen, Wilson, Silver Island, August... There are a couple that come to mind down some tougher roads, Seven Beavers and Harris. If you wanted to have a wilderness type experience without the permits and regs you could boat across Ojibway and take the roller portage into Triangle if you have a smaller boat. Birch Lake has a lot of the rustic campsites."

"Dumbbell is another option (I forgot to mention) and if you're interested in going after muskies would be a good option. Pretty cool campsite on a point."

"Wilson has some really nice walleyes, but because it's so clear, the best bite is after dark. Windy has a lot of eaters, plus plenty of northerns and the occasional whitefish. There are several sites scattered around the perimeter. An updated MacKenzie map should show the locations of most campsites on any lake you're looking to fish."

"Elbow, Timber, Frear - I would hit them for sure, close together and good walleye lakes. For bait I would use jig and minnows if your bringing minnows, and leeches on a snell, crawlers on the harness. I know lindy rigs and leeches work also, so bring them. Bone Lake - Great splake lake. Lots of good size fish. I love to fish splake, and I would bring in just these spoons. Kamloopers, in rainbow trout and perch colors, and Kastmasters in silver blue, and perch. These are what I only use for splake. They are the best period. Bring a few as there are good sized fish in there. Put them on a swivel and troll the shorelines and points for them, deadly approach. As for Cross River and Coffee Lake your typical walleye rigs will work as I mentioned above. I would bring some pike lures and try for some pike as well. Cross River has good size pike in there. I would also check with some bait shops or local people who have fished these lakes this year, just in case of a freeze out. We had alot of ice up this way. Lotta beaver ponds I trap froze to the bottom, and Cross Lake is shallow, and so is Coffee, but with the creeks and rivers running into them you should be OK. But I would check with the Beaver House or Bucks Hardware. Hate to hike in and the lake froze out."

• Vlewis128
      By Vlewis128
      Hi all. I am currently at Rush Lake near Perham at Four Seaons Resort. We’ve been here three days and have caught basically nothing. Can anyone give me some advice on walleyes here? Where to go and good baits for this lake? I’ll take any advice on any type of fish you might experience with on this lake. Never been here before.....
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Anglers had an excellent week of good fishing and fish frys.  A strong walleye bite continues with best success in 17-28 feet of water.  It is good to remember, not all walleyes do the same thing.  Some schools are deep, some shallow.  Some may be feeding on minnows, others critters in the mud.  Good reports in various areas along the south shore of the lake as well as Knight / Bridges Island area.  Anchored up and vertical jigging a jig and minnow or frozen emerald shiner has been very successful.  Gold / pink  / orange or a combo hard to beat.  Drifting with spinners and trolling crankbaits also catching fish.  A nice mix of eaters, slots and trophies.  Some big pike and jumbo perch in the mix.  
      On the Rainy River...   Anglers caught some good walleyes in the river this week.  Best depth 12-24'.  Jigs and minnows working the best.  The edge of the river channel in Four Mile Bay also giving up some walleyes.  Smallmouth bass in good numbers.  Typical spots, rocky areas, current breaks, bridge and rip rap areas.  Somie big pike still hanging out in bays.  The sturgeon season is closed until July 1st when the season re-opens.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake and stay in MN waters.  Some resorts are offering transport service across the lake in MN waters to the Angle prior to the border opening.  Some guests are setting up with transport to follow charters in their own boats.  Various south shore resorts are offering parking for guests of NW Angle resorts.
      Fishing is great.  Anglers fishing the Angle are catching good numbers of walleyes.  Jigging rocky points in 10 - 22 feet of water producing nice walleyes.  Some good fish also being caught on crankbaits in 8-12' of water.  Big pike in bays and creek mouths.  Smallmouth bass in bays and shallow rocks.  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      well...........i'll be up for round #2 wed morning!!!!!!!! look out fish. last time was mainly work. did get a bit of fishing in but i was limited.
    • Roseypike19
      Hi Squirt,    The previous tips are all good regarding pike on Vermilion.  Find some shallow reeds/weeds and you will find some nice sized pike (Average = 20-30" with a bigger fish at times).    What is your definition of a "big" pike? The shallow program is fun and that's how I do most of my pike fishing, but overall that is not how you will find the biggest pike on Vermilion.  I'm talking East Vermilion as that's the basin I fish.  By now many of the biggest pike are suspended and feeding on ciscoes in deep water.  They will make occasional forays into the shallows to follow food (think windy days), but they spend much of their time suspended over the depths.     Several really good areas very near you have this potential: 1. The narrows between Moccasin Point and Pine Island.  You can't miss this area on a map.  There is BIG pike potential here.  2. The deep water break on the east side of Isle of Pines.  I have literally seen giant pike chasing ciscoes out of the water here (also a fantastic muskie spot).     Those two areas are a literal stones throw from your place.     How do you fish the deep water?  IDK!  Like I said, I'm a shallow pike program guy.  The few times I've done the deep suspended thing we found the bait and big hooks on sonar and then jigged 1 oz hair jigs and/or 1 oz lead heads with a white fluke.  It worked, but it was technical and tough.  If I ever do it again (maybe later this summer), I'll troll big plugs at the depth just above the fish.     Last week we had a lot of fun catching many nice pike in the shallow weeds, but our two biggest fish (including a 40"er), came on a very windy, cloudy day while fishing shallow rocky points adjacent to deep water.   Coincidence?  I think not.  So definitely take advantage of those windy, cloudy days if you expect to find a giant.  In my experience, those conditions provide your best shot a true trophy pike from shallow water.  (Of course there are some exceptions and any cast on Vermilion could land a big pike!)   Otherwise, ply the suspended depths and report back what you find.    Good luck.    
    • Roseypike19
      Hope I'm not too late on this report.  We were up last week (23rd-30th), and overall we had fantastic smallie fishing.  We had to adjust a bit as they were definitely more in spawn mode than most Memorial day weeks, but that just meant moving from points and secondary points towards the spawning bays and banks.  I really enjoy pre-spawn smallie fishing because they are often schooled up on the points leading into spawning areas, they are fat as heck, and they are very active - and while we had some action in this regard - we had more overall action on the banks and in the bays and saw a lot of spawned out females compared to previous years.  So I'd say about a 1/3 of our fish were pre-spawn, a 1/3 were spawn (males on beds), and a 1/3 were post spawn.  T'was all fun.     The whole month of June = awesome shallow smallie fishing, so whoever is up, good luck!  
    • Raven77
      I have one that I would sell you.  I'm on Richie Bay.
    • gimruis
      This is how my boat is.  The bow eye fits snuck right up the roller with the latch below.
    • ozzie
      Wish I had some information for you rayguy but from what I have been hearing the shallow bite in a few popular bays is non-existent this year.  Tough panfish bite...but the sunfish should start biting in the next few days as the water temp on the main lake (Cross) was 60-62 this weekend.  Good Luck and keep us posted!! 
    • bfisherman11
      That looks good. Keep posting! Enjoying the pictures of my favorite lake.   Bill
    • 97procraft
      Spent all last week on the lake.  We fished on the east end all week.  We found the water temps on the east side, Armstrong Bay, was in the low 70's and on the west side, Daisy bay, was in the low 60's.  Kind of a wide range.  We found walleye shallow, even caught quite a few of the dock, 5'-9'  We found pike in the weeds, perch outside the weeds in the bays.  Pike would hit a swimbait or fluke worked through the weeds.  We caught the perch on a small 1/8 oz spinnerbait.  The smallmouth were making beds in the warmer water and staging in the cooler water.  The fish on beds are easy to catch, the staging fish would hit a medium size red squarebill crankbait.  It did help if there were rock present, volleyball size or bigger.  Pike and smallmouth fishing should only get better in the weeks to come.  We did see a dozen or more musky cruising the shallows.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A very successful week for Lake of the Woods anglers.  Great walleye fishing continues with best success in 17-28 feet of water, with walleyes also being caught shallower.  A number of areas along the south shore from Pine Island, Morris Point, Zippel Bay, Long Point and Rocky Point are producing.  Knight / Bridges Island area also still holds good numbers and size of fish.  Anchored up and vertical jigging, drifting crawler harnesses and pulling crankbaits all working.  Gold / pink  / orange / glow all working well.  A nice mix of eaters, slot fish to be released between 19.5" and 28" and a good number of trophies over 28".  As last week, big pike and jumbo in the mix.   On the Rainy River...   Most walleyes are being targeted and caught in the lake.  There is always a population of resident walleyes that live in the river.  Best depth is 12-24'.  Jigs and minnows working the best however trolling a crankbait and covering water is also effective.  Smallmouth bass near rocky structure.   Good pike hanging in and adjacent to bays.  The sturgeon season is closed until July 1st when the season re-opens. Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake and stay in MN waters.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.   Fishing continues to be excellent.  Walleyes being caught on 5-7' flats with snelled spinners and crankbaits as well as jigging rocky points in 10 - 20 feet of water.  Walleyes being caught in many different areas on the Minnesota side.  Pike in bays and creek mouths.  Water temps 55-57 degrees. 
    • 97procraft
      I was just there last week.  Pike were a little slow, but they should be getting better.  Find the weeds.  Throw unweighted swimbaits or flukes close to the bank and work them out through the weeds.  Stop working them at the edge of the weeds and let them sink.  If you don't get hit in the weeds, there is a good chance they will hit it on the fall at the edge. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.