• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Went to Gull lake on Saturday fished from 2 pm to 9:30pm, 3 people in the boat, boated about 50 walleyes. 7' to 16' of water most fish were 14" to 19". Sunday we headed to smaller lake East of Gull, started in 12' to 15' of water only got 2 small bass and a handfull of small northerns. Then moved into 7' to 9' of water and got 12 nice walleyes, smallest being just over 17" and the largest, my PB at 28 1/2" & 8 1/2 lbs. We were suprized to find them so shallow on a sunny day in clear water and no wind, from 1 pm to 5:30pm. All and all fishing was pretty good.

Getting Crappies off of Rice lake in 3-6 feet of water using small colored hooks and minnows.All in all the fish seem pretty active with a variety of species being brought into the boat.

Slower today on Gull then it was last Sat, which was a beautiful evening. Bit windier too today, but still managed to boat some smaller eyes and a few rock bass too! Just when you think you have a nice walleye, up comes a darn rock bass!!

Probably the cold front and unstable weather pattern kinda shut things down today. Definitely noticed a change in the mood. Last Saturday they were hitting lindy's with a noticeable thump. Today, nibblers, so you had to give them a few seconds then set the hook!

Fatheads worked well, if not better then shiners today. I'm so fed up with the mortality rate of shiners. If they are still alive, then they usually don't last long on the hook. About 1 in 5 shiners would actually still be swimming after being on the hook for more then a minute. Anyone have any suggestions for shiner mortality? I keep them in a aerated live well in a 1 gallon bait tamer. (love those by the way, much handier then a plastic minnow bucket!)

changing water temps will do it, going from warmer water in live well or bucket into cold lake water does it every time, I keep mine in a thermo bucket or cooler and toss ice cubes in every now and then to keep them chilled, seems to work for me.

Just got back from a 3 day work related conference on Gull. I had the chance to fish with Jon Larson of Larson's Guide Service. We did well putting 6 eyes, 8 northern and a bunch of the biggest rock bass I've ever seen in the boat. Water was in the low 60's and we found fish at all depths with chartreuse being the hot jig color. Jon was very knowledgeable about the lake and we were on fish the entire time and his gear and boat were top notch. Looking forward to fishing Gull with Jon again some time soon!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm heading up to Roosevelt in Outing on Saturday and have never fished it before. I would read up on the lake, but the DNR site is down. I don't even know what species is in the lake. Any tips or reports would be great!

I've been fishing Roosevelt for years, but have yet to make it up this year yet. It has all the basic species of fish in it. The pike and eyes tend to be quality over quanity. For eyes, I would fish on the bigger southern portion of the lake. You can try trolling cranks or live bait rigs around the sunken islands towards evening. For pike I would cast the shoreline breaks in about 6 to 12 feet using spoons or bucktails. If its bass or panfish your after just work any weedy area and you will do well. You can use a slip bobber and either leeches or minnows and catch both at the same time. Good luck, and post your results!

The MUSKIES are snapping - They are just crazy at any depth. The best bite in a long time. Early shallow and deeper as day goes on. Deep water during day trolling with divers in 20 to 30+ water, what a strike when they lock up. Those deep fish have power.

I doubt it Motley man or you'd be on the water and not on your computer, why you firing everyone up ? My guess is jet skiers, pontooners, that 454 chevy on shamineau that you can hear 11 miles away, water skiers, pleasure boaters, calm wind, floating milfoil, 4th of July carry over crowd, you're as sick of that as the rest of us and I don't want to see your 09' musky photo's that you'll claim are recent, increase pressure there so you can focus on Cedar by Aitkin, hidden agenda, ulterior motives, sorry to call your bluff.

that 454 chevy on shamineau that you can hear 11 miles away,

Thats funny! laugh We were out there tonight and it was way on the other end of the lake and we could hear it roaring. I said, "sounds like a monster truck out there"

Anyone who comes on a board broadcasting that muskues are basically jumping in the boat on a particular body of water they are blowing smoke. That just doesn't happen. But ok, you have everyone's attention, let's see pics.

Any word on tghe Crappie bite around the area? Especially Fish Trap? We have 100 Hoogies coming up in 1 1/2 weeks and are avid crappie fisherman/women and have heard nothing> sorry for not talking muskie <

Ok guys we went out looking at more lakes to find something that shows some promise and one that really got me thinking was Sibley and Mayo Lakes. What are your thought on these for northerns bass and crappies?

if you are after northerns and bass there are few lakes that are better than these two. My parents used to have a cabin on Sibley and you can catch all the northerns and bass you can handle. The far southern part of the lake is much shallower and pretty much weeds throughout. Not solid weeds, but there are weeds all the way across it. There are rice beds along the shorelines in this area with pockets of nice weeds. Bass and northern heaven. We got bass up to 6 pounds and pike over 15 out there over the years. There are a lot of crappies in there, but they tend to be small.

You can get to Mayo from Sibley but the channel can be tricky due to shallow water (this year should be better with high water levels) and there is a bridge you have to go under that is really low.

Mayo is a fun lake. Very little traffic and some real beasts for northerns and bass again.

White spinnerbaits was always the best as these lakes are dark. You should have no trouble finding fish and no doubt you have a chance at some real nice ones too.

Thanx Capt. The family and I were out looking at a lot of lakes yesterday trying to find some that can be descent to fish since are normal spots on the river can not be fished due to the high current and the chocolate brown color. We have tried Mission and have had limited success but now its just getting tougher. You earlier said there were a few other lakes that are descent or better than these two. Do u happen to know the name of them or the area? We were planning on going out this afternoon to Sibley with some weed weasels and some small or medium suckers and some other lures. thanx for your help!

I meant that few lakes are better for bass and pike. They are great choices for those species. You should get plenty of action. Try the area around the small island on the south end of the lake with suckers and you should contact fish. I rarely used livebait out there but you should do well. Overall lakes like gull are better but they are much larger and more traffic.

Thanx again i really appreciate all the help It looks like a fantastic lake to fish. Are there any restrictions on it for the Northerns? I havedn't looked into it yet.

You know I'm not even sure. I never keep them so I never paid attention. I don't have a book to look at and since the government shutdown the dnr site is down.

No restrictions. I live on the lake. It's a puzzle at times. I've always thought of it as a quality over quantity lake. I can go to Whitefish or Hubert and catch good numbers of bass. I never get big numbers out of Sibley, but you will get some bruisers. Every year I get a few bass over 20in. Some evenings it great. Other days I come home with my tail between my legs and have a piece of humble pie. I don't get as many small northerns anymore, they seem to be getting bigger. The perch are wormy and the crappies are just off the weedlines and not real big. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to FM and figured I'd start with an update from the Crosby/Brainerd area. Having a busy 4th definitely changed the pattern but this recent heat has really kicked on some of the lakes and species that weren't really going that well before. I've been on Serpent, Bay, Mission and several other smaller lakes in the area just in the past week and all of them have provided pretty steady action for pike, bass and the occasional walleye. The pics below are from a week ago but were a couple from a good bunch of fish the girls caught trolling pink #7 Shadlings in the extreme heat,full-38887-10652-hotpinkshadling.jpg

full-38887-10653-shadlingpike.jpg

which since has been productive as well and seems to be getting better. Best depth was 17 - 20 FOW and continues to be my target depth for most species.

• 2 weeks later...

going up to cross lake next sunday for a week , is this lake any good for walleye and panfish from wat i hear it can be quite tough to pick up eyes on whitefish chain any pointers from anyone in the area would be greatly appreciated.

Heading up to Gull on Friday. Any tips for putting a couple of fish in the boat with the kids? Probably not going to fish the prime times due to family events, but looking for some simple tips with the kids.

If you are looking simply to get fish in the boat that should be no problem. Look for Bass in 14 - 20 fow using jig & Minnow. I have been doing well with plastics as well. Walleye reports are 18-20 fow and big pike even deeper. Try creek chubs on lindy rigs. I have also been catching some nice bluegills in 14-18 fow running small leeches on a colored hook (no bobber).

Hey fellas...just heard that the Lakeview Store on Hwy 3 between Fish Trap and Alex has closed down.

I just want to thank the Depa family for their years of providing GREAT service to the area. I hate the idea of buying my bait anywhere else.

Take care!