• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

plenty of ice in the area....the last two weekends in the cross lake area I have been on 2 different lakes and both I had alot of good ice....i wouldn't hesitate driving on the lakes for the next couple days unless they get some major heat or rain

yep, plenty of ice in the area, there are are a few soft pockets to watch out for, but nothing to worry bout dumping a truck thru as of yet. the shorelines are starting to show some signs of "spring" wear and tear but have not found one yet that the 4x4 couldnt go thru. this week looks as if we will be re-freezing every night, with not-so-warm temps during the day. i'd be willing to bet we have maybe a couple more weeks b-4 the "walk" takes place.

If the forcast holds any muster there will be a fresh foot of snow on the lakes by wed. night. By looking at the temps we will be driving for awhile yet. The shore ice seems to be fine at the moment. I don't see complete ice out on the bigger lakes till the April 20's somewhere. I would think Gull/Pelican at April 26th right now. The ice out is like trying to predict the NCAA tournament. Who knows. frown

• 5 weeks later...

Many small lakes Are open but fished 2 lakes. Nothing but one bass not any bites searched from 2 - 20 ft couldn't buy a bite. Any tips temps are 41 to 42. I was hoping for.a.crappie or perch but nothing. Looking to catch anything out of the new boat any ideas

It is still a little tough going on our limited open water. I tried a couple of days ago and got blanked too. I have heard a couple of reports where guys have found a few crappies. Sounded like an early morning bite. Pretty short window. I think we could see a big change come Sunday-Monday. A little sunshine will do wonders. Plus the rain we got last night really ate up a lot of ice in area.

Jason Erlandson

Got few slabs last night and this morning all the fish were on the breaks 10-12ft of water all plastics. A real slow retrieve below a bobber.

Wind and heat did some damage today. Quite a few small lakes open and bigger lakes making progress. I'd say Gull was 25% open this morning. Crappies should be banging by this weekend. Looks like a decent forecast.

Jason Erlandson

are any launches open on gull?
The only one I know of is near Zorbaz or Bar Harbor. I was out on the water yesterday in Upper Gull and Margaret.

Got the boat in the water on Gull Friday evening. It was a small window of opportunity when the front was coming through but it was great for about a half hour or so. All nice sized Crappies up to 12". Wasn't sure I was going to get anything to bite before this.

full-34526-8227-gulllake2011001.jpg

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I took my brother inlaw out yesterday he caught his biggest crappies ever a 1 pound 6 oz and 1 pound 2 oz. Was going so nuts it was fun to watch him. Flu Flue jigs with a crappie minnow about 2 feet down in 3 feet of water. We caught some eaters that were around 11 inches we kept 6 eaters each. His 2 big ones he wanted to get mounted so they are at the taxidermists now.

Hey Monster, be sure to post a picture of your brother in-laws finished product.

Will do osok

Crappies are biting Same old spots (had a dude get all over me tonight for getting within 50 yds of him in a known crappie spot so he says your a little close?? Didnt respond just eased down a bit and had a good laugh as two five year olds gave him a lesson! Helps that their dads are both guides full-2263-8375-janeytorricrappies010.jpg

full-2263-8376-janeytorricrappies001.jpg

Cool! Looks like the girls had a blast. I see the sticker is wearing away on your seat, I might have one laying around if you need a new one grin

that is a know spot for sure and I have seen 10+ boats within a few feet of each other every spring in there. Gotta love the people that own the lake, oh and congrats on the nice fish

• 2 weeks later...

Good opener. Once clouds cleared a much slower bite. Fish are around usual areas 10-15 fow. Without cloud/wind cover I think the boat scares the fish. Regardless still a good bite early or late on less than ideal days. As a bonus all my fish have 18 or better.

that sounds like a pretty good day! Anyway, I'm goin up to fish pelican on a timeshare to Breezy Point resort. It's around the weekend of the 4th. Do you bass fish the lake very often? Any tips that could help me catch some bass while i'm up there? thanks!

Great bite tonight only able to keep two the rest were all over 20" 5-7 FOW Stand up Fireball with a shiner full-2263-8778-001.jpg

full-2263-8779-004.jpg

full-2263-8780-014.jpg

full-2263-8781-006.jpg

Very nice evening on the water. Were you casting the jigs or long line trolling them?

I was pitching 1/8 oz standup fireballs to 5-7 fow with rocks and gravel whenI marked the fish with side imaging I was able to put a waypoint on the spot andpitc to them it was a fun wa to catch them! no wondering if you had a bite the about pulled the rod out of you hands!

• 2 weeks later...

Good fishing today on Gull. Lots of wind. Brutal out there. Took some searching for a couple of hours. Found a batch of fish on a windblown weedline 12-14 feet of water. Nice batch of waleyes 17-22 inches, and a bunch of northerns mixed in. The bites were no doubters a good thump every time. Lindy rigs and redtail chubs produced the best for me. Kept a few of the smaller ones, going to have a nice fish fry tonight. The quality of the fish this year is amazing.

Jason Erlandson

Anyone having any luck on North long?

I was up fishing with a high school friend and we did well. Lots of big crappies up to 14 and half inches. 3 to 5 feet of water in the bullrushs tube jigs and minnow.

Did pretty well on Sat for Eye's caught 9 on a Northland baitfish floating spinner and leeches in 32'. Had to throw back one 24" and two 22". On Sunday the wind calmed in the morning and changed directions and didn't get one hit! frown

was out on Northlong in the Merrifield bay on friday and only found 1 crappie searching along the north shore.....went to Edward and found the crappies in the emerging bullrushes anywhere from 3 to 8 feet deep....Saturday started out on Edward and with the change in wind the crappies just weren't all that active in the morning as I found a couple but it was a different bite so I picked up and headed to a little lake 45 minutes north and found the crappies in 2-4 feet of water still in the lilly pads.....sunday I went out on the dock in our bay on the wfc and worked the crappies over pretty good catching about 20 or so....overall a good weekend and now is the time to be catching those crappies but remember to practice selective harvest!!!