• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tisch

How long you been fishing Gull?

What's the biggest white tip you've iced?

Do you better for eyes open water or hard water?

Nice report Northlongslayer, way to get them eyes. Daddyducker, I've been fishing Gull for two years. (ever since I've moved up here from Illinois...I moved up here for the fishing grin) I don't get into many trophy walleyes, I just like to have a consistant bend in the rod with deceent fish. I like ice fishing for eyes on gull better than summer fishing for them, Although the artificial walleye bite in the summer is a fun way to get them, because your always gettn bit, even if you dont catch a single eye good ole bass wink

How bout you?

ice or open water?

LOL...you mean "rock" bass. Open water probably caught more rockbass than walleye. I am a magnet for them darn things. Fished the lake for 15+ years and by far prefer ice. I hope you left the bear fan back in Illinois. smile Anyhow, I have iced some wall hangers by others opinion but I'm waiting for a real stud. Won't put one on the wall unless it makes 13lbs. At that, I might never put one on the wall but it's something to shoot for. Gull is a great lake for big fish. Shoot me an email sometime, I wouldn't mind hooking up to put some white tips on the ice.

[email protected]

Good Luck!

haha ya I forgot to put the "rock" in there. I like it right when you hook into them, for a few seconds you can trick yourself into thinking they are an eye! I'd love to fish with ya. And I have been a Vikes fan ever since I can remember cuz my parents grew here. Though my time living near chicago made me a "slight" bears fan.

Well, they might have a shot at it. Can't say that much for the vikes this year. We'll definitely have to smack some eyes.

Going out tmrw, I'll post what I catch. Good luck to all.

I agree with you slayer, but to some of your statement.

First you need to realize that its very hard to cover your tracks when Ice fishing. I usually fill my hole back in with snow.

second. the past 1 to 3 years, unemployment has been it's highest in years. So more and more people are looking to get out of house and go fishing. Thats why your seeing a number change. Plus people want to fish localy, and not make the big drive, unless they still are loaded with cash.

third, Gull will not get fished out so don't worry about gull, Northlong has less spawning habitat, but I don't think it will get fished out either.

Its the tiny lakes that I worry about. last year traxx, posted one on here, that I fish a lot, the next week several people where on that lake, looking for the spot, but they did not catch any fish, Because sometime you can be right on the fish, but if you don't know how to fish you are not going to catch a thing. So, don't worry about your weekend warrior fishing out your hole, They are just there to have some fun, you need to worry about your weekday no job, law breaking, fill the freezer with fish guy!

Most of the posters on here, are pretty good conservationist so don't worry about them.

yep I never would have fished on Gull lake for Waleyes before this web site.

you will soon figure out that you dont need to be a jerk on this forum like you do on the world of warcraft forums. I am glad your mother is letting you comeoutside and make new friends. welcome to the board but stop all the crazy please!

Shadow,

I apologize if I named the small lake you like to fish. That is something I try not to do, because I know how sensitive these lakes are to fishing pressure.

Its alright, I know we all get happy when we find a gold mine lake. I am not worried about that lake, you and I know its very hard to catch the fish in it during the winter.

Ahh..10-4 wink I'd like to see that one get a reduced panfish limit or even make it catch & release. Good luck out there this winter

This is a great site and we all have fun using it as a tool to discuss fishing and the outdoors. I've learned a lot from this forum. It is a great learning site for new aged fishing. Which includes getting up to the minute reports and hot techniques that produce quality outings. For some folks that prefer to stay in the stone age this may not be the right place for you. Things continue to change through time and how we get info is one of them. The nice thing is we no longer need to sit around the pub to hear the week old reports. I think we all benefit from the changes in the sport such as electronics, power augers, graphite rods, among 100s of other advances. Sites like this are just one of the many advances. If you don't agree with how it works it is easy not to participate.

Jason Erlandson

anyways back to the real story, round has ice, but the south access has the ice heave again, I tried to brake it down with the chizle the best I could.

seem to be hitting live bait over anything else. But no night bite (kinda funny this time of year not to have a night bite)

Isn't that the truth! Just because you get on the fish, you have to be able to catch them. Been on plenty of lakes, Gull included, that no matter what I do I can't buy a bite. Persistance usually pays off. Over time you figure it out, but that could be all winter, and sometimes when you figure it out, that doesn't work anymore. As is everything else...hunting/fishing...you have to understand the species, their habitat, and patterns. Once you do that, you can go on any lake in the same climate area and catch. Speaking of catching, here's round 2 of my winter fishing trips. 9.5-11.5"101_2779.jpg

but its the truth...posting stories and pictures is done for two reasons. To brag and stroke your ego a bit or to bring busine$$ to your bait shop, guiding business or resort. Why else would anyone do it for all to see. Look at who post so many the fishing reports here and includes pics etc..... bait shops and some guides..

first off...welcome to hso! secondly, i do have to respectfully disagree....while some are on here for personal gain....most of us simply like the outdoors and like to communicate this and enjoy relaying our experiences to others. if it can help others do the same......even better! this is a free website and there will inevitably be a blurring of some lines, but rest assured no one is getting rich! just thought i would respost a few picts i have posted......that have nothing to do with bragging or monetary gain....just good times with my son. he has grown up outside...not playing video games and watching tv.....so i quess you are right, i am bragging about that!!!!

full-27018-4135-1011091246.jpg

full-27018-4136-downsized_0425091955.jpg

full-27018-4138-0711091548.jpg

full-27018-4139-0509001910a.jpg

full-27018-4140-0925000847.jpg

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

pushbutton, that little guy is on his way! Nice to see him with the big smile. And being able to fish with Lou Holtz must have been fun, or is that Grandpa! winksmile

Awesome pics Pushbutton. That really puts it into perspective of why we love to fish. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in catching fish that we forget what it's really all about. Time away with family and friends fishing is so much more memorable and important than the fish caught. Those smiles say it all. smile

Being a guide and seeing those smiles are what keeps me going. There is not a better feeling than taking friends, family or people you have just met and teaching them how to catch fish. I've learned alot of great information from the knowledgable people on this site, alot of studying and from the opportunity to spend alot of time on the water. If I can pass that information along to others and help them, I certainly will. Guides may be some of the richest people you will meet but it's certainly not because of the money. We do it because we enjoy helping and teaching others how to catch fish and have fun.

Time is short, Fish hard and have fun!

Very well put Traxx. Pushbutton- your boy's crappie is just a little bit bigger than yours smile

Daddyducker-those look pretty tasty

Well said Traxx - You hit it right on the head.

[Note from admin: Let's get back on topic - Brainerd fishing reports. Other discussions on the sharing info topic can go in the Outdoor Discussion Forum Please.]

So, anybody got a real fishing report?!!!!!

Last night I caught five walleyes, biggest was thirteen inches. Had 9 inches of ice.

Went out Thursday night and caught 14 eyes. Size was 13 to 17 inches. Had 8.5 inches of ice. Couldn't get a fish on a bobber and minnow. All on a Perch colored jigging Rap tipped with a fathead head.

Very well put Traxx. Pushbutton- your boy's crappie is just a little bit bigger than yours smile

Daddyducker-those look pretty tasty

Tisch...they were very tasty! Best part of it all is, I can go get some more now! smile

Fished Gull on Friday and had 4" of ice. Marked a few fish and got a 16" eye and 28" pike. Both on deadstick. was force to move shallow due to a crack that opened below my house and caused water to push up. After that, no luck. Won't be back till christmas but whatta do?

Got out fishing walleyes today, Kept 8 decent ones and must have caught 25 that were 7-10 inches. Never seen that many dinkers! They were hitting 1/4 and 1/8 oz Northland Buckshot spoon in glow red and golden perch colors and doodle bug spoons.

I went out on Gull today from 3-6 and caught 3 keeper walleyes, 24 fow. One nice one, my son had fun bringing that one up. Most the fish came off jigging with minnow heads, but the bigger one was caught off a set line.

I plan to fish Crosby area this weekend, will let all know how it goes. Anyone else been fishing the area lately? Any trucks out on any lakes yet? My brother was thinking of pulling the perm out, but its kind of a hog

• 2 weeks later...

I've talked to Dan and a few of the other guys quite a bit lately. Reports all about the same. Still catching some fish but not as good as last week. Action is still OK. But the key is to move around and find them. 16-24 feet has been the best on Gull. Lots of spots haven't been fished yet. Time to explore and find the aggressive schools.

Jason Erlandson