• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Joe

Fishing Reports for the Bemidji are a below? Lake Conditions and Access as well?

Enjoy posting how the fishing is going for you and include Pics if you'd like.

Lots of great info below and newer fishing reports are on the pages that follow.

full-2-27496-bemidji.jpg

Sassyshad

Well ive been out on Bemidji the last couple of night but haven't had much luck. Tonight was the best so far. I got out a little late but i caught 6 jumbo perch and 2 small walleyes (12 & 15 inches). It seemed that the fish just shut off at dark. I found that my best luck was in 35-40 ft of water. I caught everything off a plain hook and a fathead. I didn't catch much but its a start in the cold weather. Things should begin to pick up this weekend with the warmer temps. Good luck to everyone!!!

Sassyshad

Im just wondering if anyone is having any luck with Craps in the area, without traveling to far?

Matt Breuer

I'll break up the back and forth chatter and utilize this thread for what it's for, a fishing report... wink

Panfish in the Bemidji area remain active. The crappies are still holding in the deep basins in most lakes. The numbers have slowed down, but the quality of the fish has improved. The bluegill's are still holding in shallow in most lakes with weeds, while on lakes where the o2 is or has died off in shallow the fish are holding suspended off the breaks. Start shallow and work your way out, that's my advice for planning your assault...

Walleye fishing is slow but steady. Some days on Lake Bemidji are great, while other days you can only pick up 1-2 fish. We've had our rentals in 22-40' of water, and the action has been roughly the same in all depths in-between, with different times of day being better. Plan is still putting out fish, but it's slowed down dramatically from the start of the ice season.

All species are biting when found, and the people who're able to stay mobile are being rewarded!

Good luck out there!

dsc04340pn0.jpg

slayer-of-fish

been out on bemidj and plan alot. Most nights its 2-3 but about 1/2 time now its 0-1. nice size though. r rarely venture beyond 20 feet unless im totally skunked. I was out on cutfoot tonight and caught 3 nice eyes in 6 feet of water.. bigger minnows work best for me.

slayer-of-fish

I was on bemidji last nite from 600pm until 1000pm. fishing tipups in 10-14 feet of water on the west side of the lake. I had 8 flags go up in that time period and pulled up 3 nice walleyes. all of them were 23 inch females. I was out this morning in the same spot from 530 to 800 and i managed 4 flags and two fish, another 23 inch female and a 18 inch male. I have no idea why everyone insists on fishing the 30-40 foot depths but keep on fishing them and stay away from my shallows!

kwohl

slayer, thanks for the report. I don't know why everyone is so deep either. I was in 30 feet last night and only caught a few little perch. I'll have to stay shallower next time.

Slough Shark

Fished Bemidji yesterday from 1 till 6 in 32 feet. Lots of perch no eyes. I'd like to try moving in shallower but the snow has drifted in around the house and I don't have a plow. Last Wednesday it was warm enough to stand outside without a shelter so I tried 12-22 feet with no luck. Drilled a lot of wholes but didn't see anything on the vex. Maybe just a bad night. Slayer have you been catching them shallow for awhile or just recently?

Matt Breuer

Clients in our rental caught right around 26 walleyes over the weekend. A lot of toss-backs. They pretty well stayed put in the rental shack and had off and on action the entire weekend, with lulls in-between. They did venture out in portables Sat. afternoon to a suggested area where they were rewarded with some great numbers of perch, as well as 1-2 bonus 'eyes I think...

Majority of the fish came in 24-26 feet of water depending on the side of the house, portable action was in 34-36'.

Fishing has definitely improved out there!

slayer-of-fish

ive been catching them shallow since i started to icefish. And for the most part their all nice fish. My thinking is this..when walleyes feed, they move shallow. when they move shallow to feed, my best luck is just big live minnows with maybe a spinner rig but mostly just a plain red treble. they move up to the shallows, 6-15 feet to feed and with a big minnow hanging down there it seems to me to be dynamite. During the day is when i may go to 20-30 feet and do some jigging. but once that sun gets low, the tipups are out anywhere from 10-16 feet usually. occasionaly i move from 20 to twenty four if fishing is just real slow. but when the fish are in feeding, their in feeding ya know?

mcbobby

A buddy and I are coming up to the area next weekend. Not sure what lakes we will be fishing yet, but will probably eventually hit Bemidji or Plant for the eyes night bite. How are travel conditions on these and other area lakes? Also, how is Bemidji for perch fising? When I have come up in the past, I have fished other lakes in the area for perch but have never tried Bemidji.

ac777

Bemidji's prety good as far as perch go, but haven't ran into many jumbos. Travel on bemidji is ok also. depends on where you go.

Fish Slayer

Plant has been pretty good if you stay on the roads. I havent venture to far off yet this year so dont know how much slush you will run into or if you will be able to drive very well with the snow depths.

mcbobby

Thanks for the info guys. Do you think it is worth while for me to bring my 4 wheeler up...or is the snow too deep/slush too bad off the main roads anyway?

Matt Breuer

With the amount of snow we lost over the weekend followed by this deep freeze you should be able to get around fine. Monday I was able to get all over the place without much trouble. A quad should be great.

ac777, there are some brute perch in Bemidji. Everyday someone catches some 11-12" fish on Bemidji...

ac777

With the amount of snow we lost over the weekend followed by this deep freeze you should be able to get around fine. Monday I was able to get all over the place without much trouble. A quad should be great.

ac777, there are some brute perch in Bemidji. Everyday someone catches some 11-12" fish on Bemidji...

Yeah i will agree with you on that, I've caught a few nice ones, and I saw a pic of one that was 14, I was just saying that most were average sized.

Trelipe_King

On Bemidji with the recent warm up and then cold snap the snow on the lake has firmed up nice and we have been getting around with trucks off the roads basically with out much trouble, haven't ran into any slush either. As long as you have 4WD you should be fine. So I would leave the wheeler at home, a truck will be fine.

FishHawk11

How about getting around with a 16' sleeper on Bemidji, we're hoping to get out to Grassy Island, anybody made it out there. Ill be up in 2 weeks, any info on travel would be great.

Slough Shark

On Bemidji with the recent warm up and then cold snap the snow on the lake has firmed up nice and we have been getting around with trucks off the roads basically with out much trouble, haven't ran into any slush either. As long as you have 4WD you should be fine. So I would leave the wheeler at home, a truck will be fine.

I would take this statement with a grain of salt as I just got off the lake after being stuck for about half an hour. Yes I have 4 wheel drive and I did get out but it took a lot of work. I'd stick to the roads.

Trelipe_King

slough shark yeah your probably right we could have just been in an area where the snow wasn't as a lot of other areas on the lake, sticking to the roads is definately the safest bet, but getting off the roads in some places is possible.

TMF89

Could anyone elaborate on that? I've never been stuck in the snow before, and I'd rather not start. What parts of the lakes are safe?

Matt Breuer

Never been stuck in the snow? Are you here for college from Cali? wink

The Southern half of the lake has more snow than the Northern half, however, the Northern half has far less ice. Places are drifted, while others barely have any snow at all. If you pay attention, you should be able to get around, especially with a quad. If you don't know the lake very well, and the thought of possibly getting buried scares you, don't leave the plowed roads...

mcbobby

Thanks for all the info guys. Leaving this afternoon and am pumped. I am bringing the wheeler. Will post how we did when I get back.

Pikemaster101

I could not agree any more with you. I also have been driving anywhere and have not even almost got stuck once yet. The snow has a nice crust on it and you can cut off any road where the bank is low enough.

ducksnbucks

Matt,

When you say much less ice on the north end, how much less? Enough for me to bring a 16' sleeper out there this weekend? Thanks for the info.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• jtnjenn
      By jtnjenn
      What are ice depths in the metro right now?
    • Hatto018
      By Hatto018
      So the weeks betwixt point and click and smoke pole deer hunting always have my ire up to get that last Musky Missile into my hands.  Gotta scrub that slime into my glove until next year.  Going to give the Mississippi below Falls a try here in a few hours.   Might find it frozen, might find a spot to get in.   I'll bring my boat because I'm an optimist,  but I'll bet the kayak is where i end up.   
      Wish me luck, otherwise I have a scheme on my mind for my favorite frozen central mn musky lake. 

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are holding in the low 50's but expect them to continue to drop this week with temperatures in the high 30's and even snow in the forecast.

Both Minnesota and Canadian walleye fishing are on fire with only a jig and shiner or minnow needed. Look for Walleye in areas of current, pinch points between islands or rocky bays. Fish are currently shiner dependent in 17-25 feet.

Crappies are being found away from the rocks suspended over mud bottoms in 24-28 feet.

Perch can be found on deeper reefs topping out at 28 feet. 

Muskie trolling is off to a great start and will only continue to get better as the water temperature reaches into the high 40's. 

We will be closing down for ice in October 22nd - we hope to see you before then for some late fall fantastic fishing!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Lake of the Woods water temps are steadily falling into the mid to low 50’s. This past week cold fronts and strong winds have fish schooling up and feeding heavily.

In Minnesota, look to rocky bays and adjacent reefs in 15-22ft. of water.  A jig and minnow is all that is needed to catch a limit in a short period of time. Bottle necks between islands in the NW Angle are also worth fishing in the evenings.

In Canada, the fishing has been excellent.  Crappie, walleye and perch are all schooling up and taking a jig and minnow.  With the water temperatures dropping, expect to see the muskie bite increase while trolling. 

We will be closing October 22nd for ice in! Contact us for availability for your fall fishing trip!

We hope to see you soon,
      Sunset Lodge

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the main basin... Very strong walleye fishing continues with the jig bite picking up.  Charters finding limits of eater walleyes with big fish mixed in.  Crankbaits, spinners / crawlers and jigs with frozen shiners in main basin successful. 15-31 feet of water producing good numbers of walleyes across south shore with very good numbers in front of gap. Shiners showing up at mouth of Rainy River as well as up the Rainy River. 
      On the Rainy River... With shiners entering the river, eater walleyes showing up as well.  Anglers reporting success both jigging and pulling crankbaits.  Walleye activity will be increasing as shiner run continues.  

Up at the NW Angle... Strong numbers of walleyes being caught on mud flats and around Garden Island. 15 - 25' is a good start.  Spinners, crankbaits and jigging all producing.  Some nice jumbo perch mixed with walleyes.  Muskie activity picking up as water is cooling.  Next full moon, Sep 24.  Crappie anglers are producing big black slabs.  

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Minnesota walleye action remains strong with spinners in mud bottomed areas near reefs using both minnows and crawlers. Fish can also be found in shallower water (15ft. or less) around Garden Island. Crankbaits seem to be the most effective at enticing larger fish. 
      Canadian walleye fishing has been fabulous this past week. The jig and minnow bite is on! Multiple boats ran out of bait and had just as much success switching to plastics. Bottom bouncing with crawlers remains effective in soft bottom areas as well.  Crappies continue to school up on deep water points. Hot windows of muskie bites have become shorter but still with good success.  Plenty of fish in the 4ft plus range and even a couple over 50!
      Water temps remain stable between 64-67 degrees. 
      See you soon!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      9.4.18 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, walleye fishing remains best with deep trolling minnow baits in 22-27 feet of water.  These same areas will provide action with a spinner and a minnow, however crawlers are still producing fish.  In the coming weeks, jig and minnow fishing will be the go to with fish stacking themselves on points and current areas. 

Canadian walleye action remains strong on bottom bouncer and spinner rigs with either a crawler or minnow.  Walleye are starting to school tighter making jig and minnow fishing very effective. Fall fishing is starting to heat up and we are seeing crappies schooled up on deep points.

Surface water temps are currently in the low 70’s throughout the day. 

We hope to see you soon!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye fishing has been great using bottom bouncers and a night crawler. Anglers are being selective to fill limits with 16-18” fish as well as a few over 28 released. Most success has been in the mud, off of structure in 21-23 feet and 26-30 feet. The largest fish seem to come from South of Garden Island on crank-baits.

Canadian walleye are also most effectively targeted with bottom bouncers and spinners. Depth has not been as important as being at the bottom of a break line in the flat. Gold with chartreuse has been best as of late.  Musky activity has slowed from the prior weeks but expect it to ramp up with the full moon approaching. Perch have been schooled up on and around reefs topping out around 30 feet.

Water temps remain consistently in the low to mid 70’s. 

Remember - fall is the time for trophy fish up at the NW Angle!

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, spinners and crawler harnesses are still the preferred method of walleye fishing, with the hot colors being pink/gold, orange/gold and orange/chartreuse. Walleye are being caught off of structure scattered in the mud between 20 and 30 feet. Down riggers and deep running crank baits have also been productive.

Canadian walleye are being caught in channels off of islands and along reefs in 18 to 25 feet of water. Both bottom bouncers with a crawler harness and a jig with minnow or shiner have both been successful in Canadian waters.

Musky fishing success has increased in the past week. Fish are being caught on crank baits and blade baits. With water temps in the low 70’s muskies are favoring rocks near weeds. 

Our very own, Travis Palmquist, released a 54.5" musky yesterday!

Fall is a great time for trophy fishing!

We hope to see you soon,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, walleye are still scattered through out the main lake basin. Night crawlers on a spinner remains most effective.  Make drifts/passes parallel but off of structure including islands and reef break lines in 24-30 feet.  Hot colors have been gold/pink, gold/orange or hammered gold.  Deep running crank baits are another good option, often producing bigger fish and large northern pike. 

On the Canadian side of the lake, fish can be schooled on humps and reefs.  Once located, fish these areas with a jig and minnow or shiner.  Pulling spinners in 25-30 feet of water is most productive in covering ground to locate feeding and roaming walleye.  Muskie action continues to improve through out the week.  Multiple big fish were caught on Sunday with many others boated as well as, a lot of lookers.  As activity levels rise, blade baits have been triggering positive reactions. Water temperatures remain consistent in the low 70's. 

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• ZachD
      10 inches between the islands on west rush when I was there last sunday   Lake shakopee  in onamia had around 10 over a week ago I imagine it has a foot by now

That is about all I know
    • Paradice
      Poor people shouldn't be going to RESORTS.   That's what makes them poor people.  They should be fishing the free waters near their home.  If it sucks, they should do something about it, whether that is lobby the government to have someone else pay to fix it, or earn some extra cash and go somewhere that has fish.     I grew up broke, and didn't like it.  So as soon as I could drive, I worked my tail to the bone and changed my situation.  I didn't go on my first "resort" quality fishing trip until I was 25. 
    • Savage Brewer
      The forums used to be cool 5-10 years ago and people shared some, but yeah the last few years they have almost died when it comes to regional and lake information.  Even sharing information at the bait shop or tackle store has pretty much become taboo, its too bad sometimes as that was a good way to meet new people back in the day.    This 40 degree weather and sunny this weekend will probably wreck any chance of good ice soon.  Not happy about that to be honest.
    • slammer
      Thanks for sharing.  NIce maps to look at and compare with others.
    • papadarv
      I have one still works only missing battery. Using Batt on other electronics. I live near Forest Lake. PM me if your interested.   Added to post I think your from East Tawas Mich. May be a bit of a challenge getting it to you if interested...
    • Borch
      Stay tuned...
    • PRO-V
      Say what you will but since ice fishing took off over 20 years ago several resort operators I know on Lotw have made out like bandits. Their business has almost quadrupled using the same cabins and adding some fish houses. I'm fully aware of what it takes to run these places.
    • JerkinLips
      I have 5 Wild Game trail cameras and have had very good luck with them.  For the lower price they are a decent option.  I also have a Moultrie, Hunten, Wildview, Primos, and Bushnell.  My first 3 cameras ran on C-size batteries which were very expensive, so I replaced them with AA-battery cameras.
    • Wanderer
      Copied from the other side but still, congrats. 😊   10 years is a notable anniversary.  Congrats!    I was checking to see how many I recognized.  A fair amount.  Then I saw you did catch me. 
    • mrpike1973
      Just wondering if this may happen this year again?