• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Good luck and keep us posted. Hope all is well! I will send you reports all weekend! grinwink

• 2 weeks later...

Baby was born, Nora was 8 lbs. 13 oz. My wife is superwoman, I swear...

Had clients out today and found fish in 7' of water all the way down to 26' of water. Jigs and shiners moving along with the beautiful clip we had today.

congrats on the newborn, hope she brings much joy to the family and turns out in one heck of a outdoorsgirl!

Fished with the family today and what a day we had. We boated lots of eyes and perch and a big northern. 9 ft of water with leeches! laugh

Are you willing to say where you caught the trout? Or is that top secret info?

I took my son out on Bad Medicine for the first time monday morning. Lots of fish jumping, no fish biting.

Bad Medicine is a good lake! I was on Newman Lake, near Bemidji. No secret that Benjamin and Newman are good places to start around here. You could try Long over toward Bagley as well, it's loaded with trout too.

Was out on Bemidji with clients on Tuesday. Took woodman's advice and started working leeches in the 9-foot range, but couldn't buy a bite. We were moving along, whereas he was sitting still. Made a huge difference. We switched to shiners and jigs and popped limits by noon fishing 5-9' of water. Nothing huge, all smaller eaters. Also landed 3 nice pike that the old boys were quite proud of.

johnjaysmiles.jpg

Thanks for the info. There is also a carry in lake in the PB forest that I want to try. I have alomst zero experience fishing trout in inland lakes but my 13 yo kid is really hot about it right now so...I'm trying to learn.

Here's a mixed bag report, lol. Caught some nice eyes trolling cranks Sunday night on Bemidji, slower catching than I was hoping for but we did ok, had one of my buddies and his wife here from Colorado, she caught her first ever walleyes! Original Floating Raps longlined shallow.

Monday we hit a local "funtime" lake and caught 31 bass and northerns in a short afternoon trip, no problem getting those to bite, can't imagine how many we missed or had come off before being "countable" lol. All on white Terminator spinnerbaits.

Wednesday ended up with a mixed bag of crappies and walleyes, we got some very nice crappies and perfect eater walleyes, again not huge numbers but it was mostly a funtime trip with my buddy Matt and his boy Tanner. Really shallow on a hump, Phelps Half-faced Standup Jigs and Salmo Chubby Darters if you can believe that!

All in all, not a bad couple of days, fish are biting in the Bemidji area!!

Nice one from Sunday night.

IMG_0183.jpg

Not a huge bass but a big smile for a Colorado Boy.

IMG_0186.jpg

Tanner with the first fish of the night, a beauty!

IMG_0188.jpg

This kid is awesome!!

IMG_0191.jpg

Nice work, BJ! I heard Matt had a mishap with a rod, eh? Can't wait to hear the story on that one!

As for the Chubby Darter's, yes, I can believe it!

Nice reports - thanks! Will be on Lake Bemidji for a week with the family soon. Might run to Leech for a day trip but will post how we do.

Thats cool to see some Colorado boys up here having fun!! I am originally from Colorado as well, until one lone trip to the Detroit Lakes area in 2005!! I was moved up here a year to the day later in 06! Wouldn't go back for the world!! Except to Elk hunt smile

Mayfly hatch was on last night on Lake Bemidji. Casting in the shallows with a jig and shiner was more productive than trolling for us.

Thrax strikes on Opening Day! Capped off the list of freshwater fish I regularly target today out of the new boat with this 51.5in muskie, and did it all in a week!! Smoked a topwater bait real shallow and was game on! Had another one literally touching a bait all the way in, full cast, tickling its chin, mouth going open close open close open close but it just wouldn't kick the tail and swallow, it was the same size or larger!! Nice way to start it off thats for sure!

Special thanks to Aaron Templin who was heading in for the night whom I flagged down just as I was setting the tripod to take my own pics - his are much better!! Thx Aaron!

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

Fish are still in 9-15 ft of water! Fished mid day with the wife and caught eye's in 9 ft with bobbers and leeches, then switched to lindy and spinner and caught them in 11-15 ft with leeches and crawlers. Fished the evening with Joey my 7 yr old and he out fished DAD! grin Fished 9 ft with bobbers and leeches. Great night of fishing and his statement to Mommy was "This was the best night of fishing!" laugh We got crowded when we started catching and had a few Muskie lures hit the water 10 ft from the boat. Can people PLEASE respect other people out there and keep the legal distance away. Had a boat mid day go within touching distance from the front of the boat, I thought they were going to have the Wife show them how to fish in their boat! DNR was watching at the access, but didn't come out and say BOO! mad

"legal distance"? I'm pretty sure there is no legal distance you must keep away, just a courteous one

either way no one should be casting 10 feet from some ones boat. This gives musky fisherman a bad name:(

There is a respect aspect to distance in my thoughts. One trolling in between two boats that are anchored 20 yards away from each other and chatting and talking and then a boat with big lures trolls in between you and throws the lures next to the boats. Happened on Sat am and pm. One guy trolled arms length away that my wife could touch the boat with her fishing rod. We left adn went to another spot. Both times yesterday we were fishing a spot, people were within 20 yards throwing big lures and didn't seem to care!

my son and i were fishing from the shore in flagstaff az on friday. he was on a higher cliff apprx 15 ft above the water. he threw a spoon got a heck of throw on it, along comes this mental guru, i use this term lightly, drunker than cooter brown, zips right over his line. did not think much of it until the guy yells that he has something big darn near pulls my son in the lake. he was trolling a spoon at about 5 mph, all i see is a flash in the air where the two spoons locked up. my son lets the drag go on his baitcaster and the guy takes nearly the whole spool of line before he can get turned around. My son apologized for being in his way and the guy mouthed off to him that he should not be fishing that far out from shore.

I yelled at him to come talk to me if he had anything to say about where my son was fishing, the guy must not have seen me as he quickly said it was his fault for not paying attention. so other than a sever sunburn, altitude headache, and no fish we had a pretty good time.

Not to overly defend muskie guys, but I had walleye boats pull right up on me several times - both last night and this morning. They were trolling cranks and moving faster than me, came up on me from behind, I'm fishing the deep side of the boat, every cast, no switching side or anything and they passed right next to me on the deep side. So I didn't just have to wait for them, but had to give lots of extra time for their lines to pass safely by. Just pointing out that courtesy on the lake extends to everyone and there are bad apples in every bunch, not just the muskie guys.

Now the recreational boaters - thats another story. 3 times on the North End yesterday I had water skiers come within no more than 2 feet of my topwater lure - same boat but different skier every time. IMO that was a lot worse than the fisherman on fisherman encroachment I've seen and is also downright dangerous. Running a boat on full plane with younger children that close to other boats chucking huge lures with up to 9 razor sharp hooks and braided superline?? That stuff cuts like a knife and nobody wants some freak casting/line wrap accident. Whole giant lake, not windy or wavy - take it out a little deeper!!

Unlike many of the posts in the "report" section this is actually a report wink

Hope that's ok!

Lake Bemidji has been good for walleyes and nice perch this week. Fish are very active and the mayfly hatch seems to be over. Water temps are 62 degrees as of today. If you're visiting the area and you'd like a few more specifics shoot me a pm and I'll fill you in.

Good luck!

Thanks for the report BP. I'm heading up to Lake Bemidji tomorrow with the family. I don't think we can PM on this site anymore?

But... I'll post a report when we get back

Fished this afternoon from 3:30-6 pm managed 6 nice eyes. Method, 9 ft of h20 with a bobber and leech! Caught lots of perch also, the action was excellent and what a great day. grin

i as well am a little sick of the musky fishermans rudeness.... drifting last week i had three guys come past me in one boat as there casts splash feet from my boat.....another time i was trolling after dark and i came upon a guy sitting with no lights on by the dnr bar....my only warning was the clatter of his lure as it splashed by my boat.....

there is no doubt they are aiming where they are casting, i guess i dont get it.

I hate the musky vs walleye guy thing but...it goes both ways

I fish this area frequently and the last time out when I was casting a deep weed edge I had a walleye guy troll right between me and the weed edge...he was within range but self restraint won out.

The bemidji area pressure will only increase here for awhile so we best just try to make the best of it.

And on the light things...[PoorWordUsage] are people thinking be out there without lights on...

Another great night on the lake with the family. Same spot, with bobbers and leeches. 9 ft of water next to some cabbage! grin No pics tonight, but put some back for somebody else to catch or us again! wink

Fished Plantan for the first time this weekend while at a family reunion. Got about 14 eyes on Saturday in about 4 hours of fishing, 4 were keepers inthe 14-16" range. 9 were caught in evening on jigs and shiners in 9-11 fow on a sharp break and they were on a rampage for about 30 minutes. Got out early today and all our shiners were dead, the fuse on the well auto timer blew so we started by trolling cranks and got 2, pitched some jigs and fatheads or leeches and they weren't interested. Switched over to spinners/crawlers and got about 4 more before we headed in. Went back out in the afternoon after some ski's and eyes, saw 5 nice ski's but none were follows. The eyes weren't interested although I saw at least 20 of them along the cabbage line in 6-8 fow but couldn't get them to go. It think if I had shiners they would have bit. Water temp at 64, 5 degrees less than here in the DL area when I was out Friday. I enjoyed the lake and it seems to have a good eye population, I was hoping for some panfish action but came to find out they are pretty non-existant even though it seems it would be a great lake for panfish with all the forage it has in it. I look forward to making it back there.