• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Burntside Fishing/Conditions Report...(updated-3/30/09)

whats the van vac road network like these days?

i just got back from lake of the woods and have not been out for a while.

going out tomorrow.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• Mike Stark

• Great Outdoors

• Wanderer

I'm going to be doing some plowing for the bash with Northlander and Surface Tension meeting me at the Van Vac Landing to see what we can do, about 4 tomorrow afternoon.

We'll try to get a parking area, and bash HQ site pushed out if the snow and ice cooperate. laugh

We'll try to get a parking area

If it's an actual parking lot, let's make sure people don't park their rigs in a concentrated area on the ice. While the ice may be fine for a few vehicles, it would be MUCH better if we plow a couple loops or other structures rather than an actual parking lot. A big ol' lot may not be sitting on enough ice to support a bunch of trucks all parked together.

Ice thickness and snow density due to snowmobile traffic will dictate what we can due.

A loop may not be practical because we don't want to cross the existing trail and have a machine hit the wind row at night.

We should be able to plow a round HQ area, then make a long landing strip towards Van Vac if the ice/slush will allow it.

The staked trail is a long way off the landing, and loops would be easy to do shoreward of the trail. But if y'all think a parking lot is best, that's cool. Me, I'll park somewhere else. smilesmile

if you guys would like anymore help let me kno. I will try and get out there.

on the other note a buddy of mine caught a 6 pounder today off of van vac and it had 23 smelt in its stomach. I would say they were feeding today.

If i was only with him when he caught it. But did see pictures of both the smelt and fish...hopefully all the fish are feeding like this tomorrow and all weekend! That would be a blast and would get anyone one hooked on lakers.

The lakers were feeding on smelt big time about 5 tonight.

Many red bars in the school, would come up to take a peak at the lures, but back down for lunch time again, and again, and again,..........

Creeps!! mad

did real good on LOTW...check out the LOTW forum i have a report there.

hopefully i can make it out this afternoon.

got to go evac a student from the field.

any more roads out there???

made it out yesterday. caught one fat 21incher. caught a smelt on a jigging rap...went over to the tip up hooked up the smelt sent it down the hole...thought i was on the bottom started to real up and off it went...pulled up a nice laker....had 4 other lookers jigging but no takers...they would come flying up from the bottom and just stop, stare, then leave..back to the bottom.

fish was in 50fow. beautiful day on the ice. warm, sunny, and quite.

Ahhh, the magic live smelt on the tip-up! gringrin

I just got back from fishing today. Caught three, with a 22 incher as the biggest. Had something a lot heavier on but it got off after 10 seconds. A gorgeous day to be out on the ice. Nearly 40 degrees, light south wind, mix of sun and clouds. Plus, the fish were very active.

Hit a mix of one old and three new spots and had a fish on at each spot.

Yeah. I feel pretty lucky after today. I just drilled a dozen holes on each of the four spots I hit to cover the structure and idled from hole to hole and fished off my snowmobile. Just the way lake trout fishing is supposed to be and usually isn't until next month.

Hit Lake Superior out of Bayfield today and iced 5 lakers. Biggest was only 22" but man was it a awesome day!

SOunds like a lot of fun you guys. Great weather (for some people's tastes wink ) Too busy to head out today, but tommorow my son and i will be fishing trout in the AM and chasing a supposed hot perch bite in the afternoon! CAn't wait!

Wish us luck. Peace

Just wondering if anybody is planning another shot up. Myself, would like to to do a little more searching up there.

There's a chance I might be able to make it up this weekend. If I do, I'll more than likely be sticking around the Van Vac area.

planin on comein up sometime in march only get one day to fish that sucks but it is what it is and im going to make the most of it. wondering if begining of march or the end would be better i see its later season this year. hows drive out there later march 4x4 truck. thanks for any info

walleye, we won't know March ice/driving conditions until March happens. Too many variables for something a month away. Just stay tuned to the forum and we'll update conditions as the season progresses.

I am booked for Feb with a trip to URL and my daughter coming home the last weekend of the month but I will be heading up in March for sure if anyone wants to get together.

Here is a shot of my daughter on Burntside from a couple of years ago.

IM003164.jpg

Fished Burntside Friday and Saturday. Caught one nice 5-6 lb. laker on Friday. Caught on a tip-up/frozen cisco. 50fow.

I saw the flag and by the time I got to the tip-up and lifted it, the spool was down to the final knot. Luckily, it held.

DSCN0057.jpg

That is why I have 250+ yards on my tip up. Wait til u get a nice one to take all your line and break u off. Have had them spool 100 yards off when I watched the flag pop from 20' away and still couldn't get there fast enough. I blew my opportunities yesterday. 25" and 30" for another guy. Good luck

I just moved to Ely in January, and have been reading all your posts. Some are helpful some are not. I started fishing the van vac landing without any luck after a few days, so I started exploring new areas. It payed off. Sunday we iced three lakers and missed one. The biggest was a 29 incher. Every fish was hunkered to the bottom in about 40 feet of water. All the fish were pretty agressive. I didn't even see them on the graph until they blasted off the bottem like a torpedo and instantly hit hard. It was a fun day for my girlfriend and I to have caught our first lakers.