• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Nope its not on Madison lake. Its on my favorite lake, and I feel that some of the fish are moving into the spawning grounds and they are mostly big fish.

Sunfish on Madison Lake - For those of you that dont know already the ice is melting fast and we are in a major heat wave for this time of year. For all u fisherman out there who called the season quits or about to now is probably going to be your last chance getting out. the sunfish are biting like crazy straight off the DNR access across the lake. look in 4-8 feet of water. if there are no people out there i will be suprised. go where the crowd is. they are taking tear drops tipped with waxies. be sure to cover your hooks. some fish are picky. i dont think color matters. however, crappies are there also. they are taking red tear drop jigs tipped with a minnow head is what ive noticed. size varies but the average fish is from 6-8 inches. i caught over 150 in the matter of 4 hours but only brought home my limit. u have to sort through them to find the bigger ones. bring the kids along for a good days worth of fishing. and be sure to bring enough bait so u dont run out. u cant keep the hook down the hole. no ice house auger or anything is needed unless u want to bring one. just bring a little tackle box pole and something to sit on. GOOD LUCK!!!

Buckmaster bridge on Madison Lake has open water on the east side of the bridge. Saw one person fishing there. Interesting, people are ice fishing in East Bay and fishing open water on the other end of the lake. Won't be long now before it'll be time to put the prop back on the boat.

When are you seeing the bite quit on madison? I'm looking at going out there this afternoon, and if the ice is good enough, walk off after dark.

the ice was still at 10" when i went out yesterday but telling everyone where to go on the lake is why the fish size is down in that spot yea theres lots of lil guys but get away from the people and you'll find bigger fish

i have not fished them sunfish and gills after dark but during the day its been a hot bite all day long. i agree with cold blood tho about the fish. they get bigger the farther away u move away from the crowd. anyways crappies will bite usually for a good 30-45 min right at dark i noticed. but i couldn't really tell u what its like after dark. i heard of people staying till 11pm and it was still a hot bite so im questioning if these fish are biting 24/7?

how much water is open? is there enough water to cast in without getting your line tangled up underneath the ice or caught on it or something to that effect?

well from kato take highway 14 to highway 60 then u will see a brown sign that goes to bray park. follow that for a mile or so and u will cross the buckmasters bridge and its right there. sorry i dont no the road name otherwise i could give it to u. its really simple to get to.

I drove by it yesterday and saw the open water anyone know what the depth is out there?

East bay by the open water, up to 4 ft casting distance, tapering upward to 1-2 under the bridge,tapering off faster on the west side to 4 in the channel. West bay 5-6ft. Rocks off the point are very shallow.

Tetonka should lose almost all the ice today with the shift in the wind. Have at it guys, 8 months til freeze up cool

Please provide open water and public access conditions here. Thanks.

I drove around the Mankato to Waterville area. Watch the public ramps... the ice did a number on several of them. The north Washington access is probably the worst.

South Central MN Weekly Fishing Report, 3-25-09

For all intent and purpose, sadly, another hardwater season in South Central MN has come to close. Until very recently, we were fortunate to have quality ice beginning shortly after Thanksgiving. It was quite a ride! Some highlights from this past ice fishing season for this area include:

1. Ice fishing river systems for sauger and walleye.

2. Experimenting with new products like the Lindy Rattlin' Flyer Spoon.

3. Getting first time ice fishermen and women on a good bite.

4. Taking my four year old daughter out when she wanted to go; Barbies and all.

5. Further breaking down a lake that is already known well. Never stop learning...

Now it's time to break out the long rods and get the boat ready. Spring is in the air more and more every day. First, it'll be panfish and then the walleyes, bass and northern will be in big trouble (Bass and Northern - for a select group).

There was a guy out on Madison today, made me smile!!

Thats awesome! I would be out but have no time!

I know bakers and mud bay is open got my dock in tonight

Anyone Know's if Washington is open yet??

cedar lake new prague wide open!

I think the southeast access is open, but the northside access still had ice as of 5:00pm Wednesday. But 75% of the lake is open for sure

circle, fox, cannon, and wells all looked wide open today, can't speak for the access on any of them though, looks like it could be a good weekend