• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spent the late morning and early afternoon on a lake that may or may not be stocked with Muskies in the future. Had the family with, so we tried shallow water and caught nothing but weeds. Finally tried deeper on a point, and thus commenced a short class on different fish species.

In short order, we caught perch, one small walleye, a northern, couple of small crappie, half a dozen sheephead and 8 of the largest lunker sunnies I can remember in the last 20 years of fishing, 9 inches long and bigger than my hand. We kept 4 of the sunnies and threw back the rest because it didn't seem right to take that many big ones.

Everything was caught close off the bottom in 10 FOW, with jigs and night crawlers being the best ticket.

Nice reports guys, im jealous because i couldnt get out. We sure had some great fishing weather this weekend, but i was tied up with my sister's wedding all weekend.

fishing was kind of slow today for me with only a handfull of small crappie and a couple decent sunnies. lost one very nice bass at the boat.

gotta vent a little...... ok people, if there are no open parking spots at the landing DO NOT LAUNCH YOU BOAT!!!!! Mazaska was a joke this afternoon. there were even people stopped in the road blocking traffic waiting to get into the parking lot. if you can see there are no spots go to the next lake or learn to get there earlier!!!!!

unreal isn't it, especially there. It gets full, then people start parking in the turn around area, then in the grass by the launch. You get to your truck and think, how the heck am I going to get out of here??? I haven't been there on a wkend for weeks because of this reason. Most of the other lots you pretty much know you will be able to get out of.

Was camping this weekend at Roberds; fished Friday night before that storm blew in and again Saturday morning. It was an absolute bust, not even a bite. We fished about 10-15 fow with slip bobbers and artificials using big reds. Water was 80-81 degrees surface temp and a lovely shade of green.

This was my first time on Roberds...I was NOT impressed. I know others have had success there...any suggestions? or should I not worry about going back there?

Depends what your going for? I never fish over 9 or 10 ft for walleyes out there and have had a lot of success this year pulling hornets, 1.2-1.5mph on where ever the wind-blow side is. Most of the time I'm in 6-8FOW.

Depends what your going for? I never fish over 9 or 10 ft for walleyes out there and have had a lot of success this year pulling hornets, 1.2-1.5mph on where ever the wind-blow side is. Most of the time I'm in 6-8FOW.

+1

Interesting......guess we have been fishing too deep in our boat! Still manage some eyes here and there, just not on cranks. Spinners have been best for us.

Learn somethin' new every day.

Spinners (sometimes with a slowdeath hook) over the weeds in 8ft or so of water has been ok for me also.

I totally agree Matt! It's been kind of a weird year. I just keep doing what I'm doing because its been sooo good for the past....well....all summer. smile

The other interesting thing is your speed.... Just barely wobblin' those hornets! Can't wait for Friday now!

Thanks guys for the great tips! If I ever have a revelation or breakthrough on how it's done, I will be sure to pass it along!

I couldn't find a weed in the lake yesterday... SI'd and fished for 9 hours.

What lake you talking about?

About the only place i can't find a weed in the minnesota river and the mud holes in SW MN.

The other interesting thing is your speed.... Just barely wobblin' those hornets! Can't wait for Friday now!

Thanks guys for the great tips! If I ever have a revelation or breakthrough on how it's done, I will be sure to pass it along!

1.5mph to me isn't barely moving. I NEVER speed troll. I watch guys do that all the time around here and just kinda shake my head...but if it catches you fish I cant really say much.

JosMN and Seven Sunnies were discussing_Roberds.

I havent been on Roberds for about 3 weeks, so I couldnt tell you how the weeds are right now. But I'm betting they aren't totally gone. smile

Right, there are a few strands of dead ones up around a few docks, if you fish that way. A few pretty dead dump weeds in the access bay. There is the little patch of pads in a foot of water, too.

Normally clipping along around 2.4MPH. Last year it worked, this year not so much. I'll wave at ya on Frenchie if we see ya.

Less than 2% of the time am i going over 2mph.

50% of the time i'm less than 1.5 mph.

Whatever puts fish in the boat. Some days accelerating/decelerating between 1 and 3 works.

I went out to Tetonka Saturday morning for the first time this year.

I worked my way points (connect the dot) and it was slow. The Cannon is not moving which is odd because the springs in Tetonka keep it moving most of the time.confused

I worked the bar near the beach and caught only a big sheepshead. So I moved to the north side and worked the breakline. I did catch a 16" Walleye when I turned the boat sharply in 8' of water and pumped the Jointed Grapler shad a few times to keep it moving. I had one more hit and miss in that area. There was a lot of grass floating up from the bottom and made fishing (trolling) difficult when weeds kept fouling my line.

I checked out the two sunken islands on the east side of the lake and saw nothing. So I trolled the the north east side of the lake to the outlet. When I was near the area of Hwy 13 in 10fow I did find some SM Bass with a #5 deep diver hornet. Fun stuff. They weren't big though. After it slowed I did have a few more hits on my way to the Cannon river access. I was home by 10:30 am.

I hadn't watched the wind for a while so I was fishing blind and kicking myself in the back side the whole Time I was on the water. That is frustrating when the main part of the game plain is BLANK. confused

My old fishing partner has reached a point where he can no longer fish so I will be one lining my trolling runs.

See you on the water!

Quote:
I hope nothing bad happen to your old partner, I always got a kick out of him.

I tried taking him out earlier this year and he fell out of the boat at the landing. I haven't heard from him sense. Motor skills are shot! Hopefully he will clean up his act and regain his motor skills.

To many years of hard drinking (and other stuff ) I'm sure.

I'm wising him the best!

had a good day on the lake today. not a ton of fish came home but was able to take my father and brother out for the morning. the clouds kept the temps down which was nice. we found a lot of small crappie and a few pike with a 21" walleye as a bonus. most fish (and walleye) were on white and red #4 salmo hornets in 10-13 fow backtrolling at about 1.75mph.

Anyone else notice spiney water flea in Madison and Ballantyne?

DNR should update them signs.

Got into some nice Northern Pike on Pickerel Lake in Albert Lea last Thursday. These fish are only 3 years old!

Picture096.jpg

Picture100.jpg

Those water fleas are in almost every lake in the area. Troll a deep diver and the knot is covered in that goo.

Those water fleas are in almost every lake in the area. Troll a deep diver and the knot is covered in that goo.

For Sure...Doesn't bother me, but was just curious to see if anyone else has.

Hey Andrew,

Welcome to HSO. If you are staying at Winjums or Roberds Lake Resort, they might have some current fishing reports. Haven't heard too much that way myself. But the lake should be about barren of vegetation. Air temps are dropping as I type this, and water temps will follow suit. Soon the fall pattern will start. Cover some ground and I'm sure you'll find a few fish. Not a ton of walleyes or crappies but there have been nice sized fish of both species seen out there through the years. Hope you enjoy your time up here, at least it won't be 90-something!