• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A buddy and me hit the ice today on two of the faribo lakes. We fished in a range of depths from 30-13 fow. We caught quite a few bluegills but my question is, Where are the crappies. We are thinking about heading up there tommorrow to but we need some direction. We were thinking about mazaska(cause that lake usually produces) and or French(I have never really fished and would really appreciate some guidence on this lake. Can you guys help me out please!! It will be greatly appreciated.

Both lake would be an excellent option. I have been seeing a lot of people out on Shields near the grassy island. (more than on Mazaska.)

Well, buddy and I had a great time out on shields today. We decided to go out on our own away from everyone else and we hit the perch pretty good in 10 fow. They went for waxies, minnows and minnow heads so we had luck with just about everything we through at them. On a lighter note again I would like to thank you bundt2k again for coming out to the lake and giving me a jump start when my battery died on the truck. A little embarrassing but it just goes to show you how it is great to have people you can contact for help being whatever it is, whether it is where to fish or come and give a jump. So, again I thank you and I am pretty sure I will be hitting that lake again and hopefully soon.

Anyone heard how the fishing was/is on cedar. I have seen the lake up there but not much word on people fishing it and finding anything Any word.

I was out on Duck yesterday and ended up nailing the panfish. A lot of sorting, but I did end up with plenty of keeper sized fish. Unfortunately, I was feeling very lazy, and didn't keep any. Wax worms were the ticket. Most fish caught were in 12 FOW and sitting about 4' off the bottom. They got very aggressive around 2 p.m.

What a nice day yesterday...No Wind, Maybe even a little sun tan...

Hole hopped all afternoon between about 30 holes in 8-15 fow. My two buddies didn't catch a single fish, I brought home a meal for myself and roommate of 6 nice 10"-12" crappies. Very good in some Panko!! Small diamond jig and wax worms was the only thing to work for me... Gotta keep moving till you come across the fish, and the big ones were suspended about 4' below the ice.

Best action came near sunset.

crappies where prety tight lipped for myself saturday and sunday managed a limit but it was pretty tough you'd swear they would knock the paint of your jig they way they marked up on it but wouldnt bite . I missed or marked or lost about 20 for every one I caught couldn't find the magic jig ,spoon bait that was a for sure deal. but sunday was just nice to be on the ice with out wind or cold for once

Anyone going to be taking advantage of the warm weather this week and hit the pan fish in the Faribo area or what? Probably one of the last weeks we are going to have left

TeeWok, I've debated fishing Tetonka tomorrow for some panfish. I will likely only fish one or two more times this winter.

Yeah you are probably right. I am thinking I might try Mazaksa or French and maybe shields on Friday and if I can talk to the old lady in going out on Saturday for the day that is a possibility too. Looks like it is going to get wet and fast with temps reach the mid 50s on Thursday and Friday.

I have never fished Tetonka but I have heard it produces some good fish. It just gets to be a little bit of a drive for me coming from Dodge Center.

Any update on ice conditions and slush? I'd assume it's pretty wet out there, but would like to hear it from someone else. I wouldn't mind getting onto a lake this afternoon for a few hours.

Lots of water on top of the ice but still very solid ice. Drove truck out on Shields yesterday

I was out on Madison yesterday evening. Solid ice with just a little water and slush on top. Probably 25-30 trucks out there. Most of them were back up in East Bay, but i was over by the narrows. A lot of smaller crappies with a few nicer ones mixed in. Just crappie minnows with smaller jigs seem to be working. The DNR access is starting to get pretty rough though

I was out on Madison yesterday evening. Solid ice with just a little water and slush on top. Probably 25-30 trucks out there. Most of them were back up in East Bay, but i was over by the narrows. A lot of smaller crappies with a few nicer ones mixed in. Just crappie minnows with smaller jigs seem to be working. The DNR access is starting to get pretty rough though

Drill a lot of holes in 9'-11' and keep moving until you find them, the big ones should be 4' under the ice and ready to fly up the hole! Wax worms on anything from a small diamond jig to a moxie minnow and they big ones will bite first. They have been moving through fast, so it's constant hole hopping.

Good luck.

Ya i was out in 18' of water, on the west side of the narrows away from everyone else. The nice ones seemed to come through every 10-15 minutes, with the little 7-9" sticking around constantly.. had to pull it away from them to get the bigger fish to bite. All the nicer crappies were suspended 6-10' off the bottom. Madison has treated me very well the last month! Truth, how late did you stay out there?? I left about 9, but the past few weeks those fish have been biting till late into the night.

So, whats the word in the Faribault area. I am heading out tommorrow early as I can and plan on hitting up a couple of lakes maybe. Any help one which ones i should hit and what depth are the fish at these days.

I haven't fished Madison hardly at all this winter. Maybe i'll go out there and look for some dinner. What access would be easiest to walk out to spots from?

So, whats the word in the Faribault area. I am heading out tommorrow early as I can and plan on hitting up a couple of lakes maybe. Any help one which ones i should hit and what depth are the fish at these days.

0 on Kelly/Dudley the past 2 days; 2 portable's on Zaska today (bull rush bay), and 2 trucks about 200 yards south of the DNR access on Shields...as for fish? dunno. I work the next 8 days straight. frown

Ya i was out in 18' of water, on the west side of the narrows away from everyone else. The nice ones seemed to come through every 10-15 minutes, with the little 7-9" sticking around constantly.. had to pull it away from them to get the bigger fish to bite. All the nicer crappies were suspended 6-10' off the bottom. Madison has treated me very well the last month! Truth, how late did you stay out there?? I left about 9, but the past few weeks those fish have been biting till late into the night.

Sunday/Monday i was out of there by sun down. Late Feb, March is about the only two months that I fish Madison. Once or twice in the summer, but don't enjoy all the ppl out there. It's great late ice though huh!

had a rough morning this morning. got out earlier than i ever had but low and behold how much stuff i forgot. Needless to say the trip didn't last long. Wondering if anyone is going to hit the Faribault lakes tomorrow (Saturday) for probably the final day of ice fishing. I ran to a lake in Rochester this afternoon and you couldn't even get on the ice. Water on the shoreline was a good 10 feet across.

Went out this AM to Mazaska and worked out from Bulrush bay.

Started punching holes in 11' and worked out to 18'.

Caught quite a few Sunnies, but only a few possible keepers. All were released back to grow up.

Seem to like the horizontal presentations just a tad more than vertical today.

Nothing was too hot and heavy for action, had to move alot and really pay attention to the Vex.

Ice was pretty thick yet, I would say around 15+, but definately getting weaker and really white.

Water is extremely dirty in the bay, glow jigs a must.

Have a great weekend all.

Any updates on ice conditions on the local lakes? Still get on without a boat? Washington, Madison, Duck Lakes...

I haven't been out since Wednesday. I drove my truck across Madison, and there was plenty of ice then. Hopefully i can get out tomorrow and see if i can walk out somewhere. I'm sure the DNR access at Madison is a mess, since it was already pretty rough on Wednesday.

Anyone still making it on the ice around Mankato? This cold snap should have froze a lot of the standing water on top of the ice right?