• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fished a small very southern mn lake today.

Drivable ice, 16" solid.

Fishing was a bit slow, had quite a few lookers and followers, with only small craps in sunnies to be spoken for. We went a but shallower and moved quite a few large marks off the bottom of the lake. My buddy swung and missed a huge bite...hungry walleye? hmmmm laugh

Crappie minnows took more hits then the waxies, however, the waxies got alot of looks...

Not much changed after you left bundt. We did get 2 nice gills through the ice but most were just lookers. We moved back to deeper water and got the fish. All that was shallow was tiny perch.

Went to the channel in ALbert Lea and got 1 keeper perchand about 100 little dinks.

Thank's for that report Whisker! If you guys wanna head back I'm thinking of possibley getting over that way maybe next Friday, Not Albert Lea but the first spot you tried. Let me know...

Fished a local lake off of 21 today...

Morneau132 and I (mostly him) put the hurt on the slabosaurs crappies this morning. His biggest was a 14"er. Most in the 9.5 to 13" range. Waxies were key! They wouldn't touch a minnow.

In 2.5 hours of fishing, we are both feeding our families tonight! smile Tossed a ton of fish back down the hole as well.

Been getting a few power hour walleyes and crappies lately. They bite much better on the warmer days with snow and shut off with these cold fronts.

As Bundt2k said we caught some nice crappies early today. Jigging presentation was key in putting fish on the ice. Fish were on the bottom and would have to be raised about a foot and then they would hit the bait aggressively. Top producing presentation was a Frostee Jigging Spoon tipped with waxies. Here's one of the bigger ones from this morning...

DSC00702.jpg

Thank's for that report Whisker! If you guys wanna head back I'm thinking of possibley getting over that way maybe next Friday, Not Albert Lea but the first spot you tried. Let me know...

I'd be game Rich. But I think we might have better luck on the lake a mile NW down the road. Could try both though! laugh

just got back from the lake . caught several small cigar walleyes. all released. I am kind of new to fishing the area just moved here over the summer. seems to be good fishing on some of the more quiet small lakes. hoping to get out this weekend

Fished Mazaska tonight and caught a few, but alot of lookers, kept enough for a meal.

Looked like this morning was better, nice job you 2.

Cripes..sorry breu18061...I meant to hit reply! ARG!

From Breu;

just got back from the lake . caught several small cigar walleyes. all released. I am kind of new to fishing the area just moved here over the summer. seems to be good fishing on some of the more quiet small lakes. hoping to get out this weekend

Went out tonight on a tip from a local fishing expert. Turns out he was right and we got into some pretty good crappie action. Hit about 40 fish between 2 guys in just under 3 hours. Fish were chasing pretty aggressively and chasing up pretty fast. Fun night with very consistent action. Downsizing was the key to success tonight after dark, plastics were the ticket! Good fishing!

Great morning on the lake for crappie.

I fished 33fow and when I dropped my transducer down for my Ice55, I could not clear the clutter on the screen so I thought the transducer went haywire. Got out my LX5 and had the same issue. Only thing that was haywire was me as the fished were stacked on the bottom 10-14fow and some suspended higher in the water column.

So, down goes my jig and minnow head and wham, 11 inch crappie. That's contiuned for approx 1.5 hours and I also0 picked up 7 nice gills.

I also used a deadstick with a small green & yellow jig with a minnow and that also was getting it's fair share of fish.

Both euro-larva and minnow heads worked on the jig. Seems they really wanted the colors of green & orange or yellow. I tried a few other lures and colors to no avail.

One only had to jig once when the fish were on the screen and one or more would come screaming up and smack the jig. The fish could cover 3ft before I could get my eyes back on my rod tip.

Crappie went from 9.5 to a little over 12. Biggest was about 12.75. Gills were about 8-8.75. Nothing huge but many fish for a few hours.

As the snow and wind increased the bite went south.

This morning was just one of those morning's one hopes for.

Great morning on the lake for crappie.

I fished 33fow and when I dropped my transducer down for my Ice55, I could not clear the clutter on the screen so I thought the transducer went haywire.

I had the same thing happen today when i was fishing 32 f.o.w. only mine were not crappies. frown From about 27'-20' it was solid clutter. They were actually chasing my bait up. I actually ended up catching two shiners!

IMG00152-20110107-1502-1-1.jpg

IMG00151-20110107-1433-1.jpg

Fish were definitely more finicky today vs. yesterday. Fish were smaller today but I did get a very nice 13" slab!

IMG00142-20110106-1104-1.jpg

IMG00149-20110107-1249-1.jpg

Finally getting out on the ice tomorrow for the first time all winter! I'm thinking either German or Washington. I've heard good reports from both lakes. It's gonna be a cold one though!!

Nice work, did you try for any eyes where you were catching the shiners??? Might be payday!

Have been fishing in the mankato area the last 3 mornings... have managed 70+ crappies, 5 northerns, and a perch. Seams like the color of the jig is making all the difference in the world!!! I have found that the smallest crappie minnow i can use is the best

I took the girlfriend out last night to the honey hole with my local fishing guide again. Despite having to borrow our guide minnows and let my lady out fish him and his other partner we had a pretty good time. Crappies were hitting great on the deadstick after dark and were not afraid of the larger fathead minnows that we were trying to fool walter into biting on... Ended up with at least 40 fish between the lady and I and we kept just a few nice ones for her parents to enjoy in the pan. Great fishing and a good time was had by all. Hope our guide had better luck after we left him alone to have all the fish to himself. 32' of water, glow hooks and small plastics were working excellent tonight.

bundt2k thanks, fishing has been decent still trying to study every lake in the area. i am putting my permanant on zaska today its a white 8x16 with diamond plating. i drive a ford f150 with a topper feel free to come by and say hello or wet a line. anyone for that matter feel free to stop by

Hit up french midday today. fishing was slower then the other night. minnows produced more in 32 f.o.w. than the plastics today. hopefully tomorrow brings more slabs to the surface.

Just got back from a long day on German. Marked plenty of fish during the afternoon on the Humminbird but no takers. Did manage to snag a couple crappies around 5:30 pm and then it was dead. I was in the smaller group at 12 fow, tried a number of jigs/colors, didn't matter...

bundt2k thanks, fishing has been decent still trying to study every lake in the area. i am putting my permanant on zaska today its a white 8x16 with diamond plating. i drive a ford f150 with a topper feel free to come by and say hello or wet a line. anyone for that matter feel free to stop by

Awesome! I will definitely stop out! smile

Was out on German saturday between 3-8pm. Caught 7 crappies in the 10-12" range in about 26'fow. Everything was golden until some jerk decided to pull up his perm 10 feet from my portable and turn on his generator. The bite immediately went down hill. Oh well, what do you do i guess

Tough bite tonight for me. I hit up a lake that my buddy had been fishing since mid afternoon. He said the action was much steadier during the daylight but after dark it slowed down drastically. Fished 31' of water and fish were up off the bottom but very tight lipped. Had to work very hard for the 10 or so fish I caught in just under two hours. I think they were more interested in tail slapping the baits tonight instead of hitting them, judging by the number of bites we missed. Was a tough night out there but I decided to cut it short and hopefully get out another night this week after the snow moves through. Downsizing worked decent tonight with plastics tipped with spikes.