• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

morneau did you catch that gar on a lake?

That's not a gar that's a pure breed yellow lab.... wink

here is a question to all noble fisherman out there.How many fish of trophy size have you mounted or would you have mounted(or replica made of it)caught from a lake around here?Its kind of a dumb question but i have always been the quiet modest fisherman who either lets fish go or gives a few smaller ones away to the not so lucky fisherman,sometimes grabbing a photo a weight or a measurement then releasing back as fast as possible.Am I an [PoorWordUsage] for releasing three different largemouth bass all over six pounds in a three day period on the same lake,the biggest being 24" 7' 2ounce goliath or was my instinct to let it go to be grow bigger the right thing to do.Three weeks later i found the 2nd largest of the fish dead on shore close by the bay i was fishing in.same fish for sure.Ive never had a fish mounted but thought a near state record fish caught locally wouldnt harm the populations too much.whats your input on keeping prize fish round these parts.just looking for some feedback to help make my decision on the matter if it ever happens again.besides a livewell,is there any tips or methods to keeping a large fish alive and healthy long enough to bring to a baitshop or official fish weighing station in a cooler?does cool water help or does it shock the fish?keep the water temp the same?or add water oxygenator for bait buckets?just wondering,the last thing i like to do on a awesome day of fishing is throw back a monster largemouth that is nearly dead because i took to much interest into documenting its capture.sorry for the rambling,just an honest,life long devoted fisherman wondering when its ok or about time to keep a trophy fish to show for the millions of hours spent trying to catch em.

by the way,did get pictures of the 6' 10' and 6 7' on camera phone, [PoorWordUsage] quality because one was after dusk and we had to shine the headlights behind me while i kneeled down in front of it but the 500 dollar digital camera i usually carrie doesnt leave my tackly bag for anything but a picture,an upload or a charge.

You could ask alot of people their opinion on keeping a trophy fish,you would get alot of different answers,especially with different species.

I feel its your decision,when your ready to do it,go for it!I see nothing wrong with having a few fish on the wall if your fortunate enough to get a trophy.

Some methods of keeping fish or a big fish alive is adding ice to the livewell. cooler water is better and more stable for the fish.There are many products ont he market for livewell products that help keep fish alive and maintain or restore their slime coat and that = more weight believe it or not.I have 2 big livewells in my boat and keeping a big fish seperated from other fish is another key so they dont eat all the oxygen up quickly,I stepped my pump up from a 550 gph to a 750 and i notice a big difference in how lively my fish stay.

I mounted a bass over 6lbs last year , It was my first tourney win and big fish of the tourney. upon getting it back I have decided i will never skin mount a fish again! It shrunk more than I expected and I would just rather get a replica made from now on.Its still big on the wall but just not as big as it once was . Great story maker tho.

Some methods of keeping fish or a big fish alive is adding ice to the livewell. cooler water is better and more stable for the fish.There are many products ont he market for livewell products that help keep fish alive and maintain or restore their slime coat and that = more weight believe it or not.I have 2 big livewells in my boat and keeping a big fish seperated from other fish is another key so they dont eat all the oxygen up quickly,I stepped my pump up from a 550 gph to a 750 and i notice a big difference in how lively my fish stay.

I mounted a bass over 6lbs last year , It was my first tourney win and big fish of the tourney. upon getting it back I have decided i will never skin mount a fish again! It shrunk more than I expected and I would just rather get a replica made from now on.Its still big on the wall but just not as big as it once was . Great story maker tho.

Good advice on keeping them alive. The livewell products work great. I did read that Aaron Martens ran into trouble with too much ice shocking fish during a tourney in extreme heat this season so you may want to be careful about how much you put in at a time.

Well ya'll I wish I could post a fishing report, but I have not been out in 2 weeks! A: work B: heat. C: my sons football.

But from what I have heard through the grapevine......

In the Faribault area: perch are starting to bite hard on Salmos, along with pike. The crappies and sheepers are still attacking anything you troll through their domain!

I WILL! be going fishing tomorrow! He11 or High water! Taking my Bro in law out for some walleye n crappie action to Lake Mazaska. If your out, and see a white Trophy 195, stop and say hi! smile

Bunt2k- let me know how you do. I took tomorrow off to fish ALL day. I was thinking about heading over to Francis to give it a try, never have been on that lake. Hope to be on the water by 5:30 or 6!

I did pretty well. Went to my goto lake...Mazaska.

Tons of very large gills. Hitting small jigs w/worm.

Perch (small) and White Bass (small) on Lindy Shadlings and Salmos.

I'll be out again tomorrow am at some point.

Bunt, quick question if you know the Answer... does a person in the Service(Navy) have to have a license?? he is home and we are going fishing tomorrow. Madison? possibly for the morning. just wondering about a license? Ryan

Bunt, quick question if you know the Answer... does a person in the Service(Navy) have to have a license?? he is home and we are going fishing tomorrow. Madison? possibly for the morning. just wondering about a license? Ryan

The following are Exempt from Fishing License Requirements:

Minnesota residents in the U.S. Military who are stationed outside the state and home on leave. Military staff must carry leave or furlough papers.

went out last night looking for some night eyes had not been out in awhile and i was hoping the bit i had going a 2 weeks ago was still there but nope it was gone went casting in less then 3 foot and ripping lead in 25 foot with no takers

Bunt2k - Was that you out there Monday morning, anchored on the tip of the 11 ft bar? It was a big newer white alumacraft, but I don't think it was a trophy. It was a pretty windy morning out there. No walleyes for me, but limited out on crappies.

Not Monday. But Sunday i was with my wife n kids. Just got back in from there as well again. A few large crappies trollin salmos.

#5 Perch Shad Rap was the ONLY thing going yesterday! So I got skunked, and my fishing partner caught a mix of crappies, sunfish, and northers. Couldn't believe they wouldn't hit anything else. Trolling 1.3-1.7mph, 5-10fow.

Was out Wed. night with a friend. 2 minutes into it we landed a 16 inch walleye, then no more of them. Many crappies and gills. Salmos #4 6-10 FOW

Sunday afternoon, Slashbaits and x-raps in 25fow with leadcore produced 30" slimer and 21" eye. Lost something nice in 5 fow that morning, and a few crappies and sunfish around sunrise.

Finally made it our for a few hours today. It was just to dang nice to be at work!

I worked the outside weed line first pulling salmo's and popped a few nice gills. Had a few big strikes, but didn't keep em hooked.

My trolling batteries went dead cause I forgot to charge them, so I just pulled a crawler harness along the bottom as there was a nice breeze blowing the way I wanted to go. Nailed quite a few more jumbo gills, and had a HUGE fish boat side, that I could not quite make out, but I believe it was a very decent northern. Stained water made it hard to see, and I was reaching for my net smirk It had my Limit Creek Smoothie bent right over!

Slow seemed to be the key today to get em to bite. 6 to 12 FOW. Water was a nice 75.2 degrees.

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday was fairly productive...Stayed shallow almost all day.

10-12" crappies in the lilly pads...and a sheephead

Bass, northerns, and walleyes in the weeds on points.

All fish were caught with a black jig and a plastic fathead minnow body.

The little bit of time i spent in deep water i caught a northern and crappie. Northern came on leadcore and a origional floater minnow, the crappie came on the jig/fathead combo fished deep.

• 3 weeks later...

Went out tonight to the Cannon Lake bridge near Faribault. Didn't have much luck, and didn't appear many other people were either. I saw one guy leave with one in a bucket, and I had a nice one get off within 5 feet of shore. But other than that, out of the 15+ people there, I didn't see any tight lines.

Has anyone been on shields or mazaska lately?

Man I wish! Starting next week ill be back to my 40 hrs of work and 40hrs of fishin! smile I'll let ya know then!

I know i'm planning on taking the kayak out tomorrow. The wind will pretty much determine where I fish. I really want a second chance at the cannon/wells lake bridge, but we'll see.