• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

just moved to Montgomery area was wondering if anyone has some info on the bite out by shields/Mazaska? Thanks.

mazaska has slowed quite a bit but fish can still be caught. concetrate your efforts in 20-30 fow water for panfish sheilds is fair lot of sortin darker colrs blacks, blues red ect.

Need a little help here. I was on Mazaska today and I was using jigs with waxies. I threw everything i had at the fish. They would follow the bate up and nothing. I tried every size i had and every color and shape. Just couldn't get a bite. I was in about 24 fow and was just baffled.

any insite would be appreciated. thanks guys

Need a little help here. I was on Mazaska today and I was using jigs with waxies. I threw everything i had at the fish. They would follow the bate up and nothing. I tried every size i had and every color and shape. Just couldn't get a bite. I was in about 24 fow and was just baffled.

Did you try minnow heads at all? I have noticed at times my buddy will out fish me 5-1 if he puts on minnow heads....specifically on Mazaska. Spikes also seem to do better out there as well over regular waxies.

Well he out fishes my 5-1 regardless... :p

I never really used minnow heads up until this year. Boy have i been missing out! I've caught the vast majority of my fish on jigs tipped with minnow heads. At times it seems to be the only thing they will bite on. It must be the potent scent the severed head gives off or something. Definitely by bait of choice this winter!

Thanks you guys for all the info. I will for sure give the minnow heads the next time I am there. If any of you guys are out there and you see a black avalanche and a kill zone ice shelter stop on over and give me a shout. Thanks again guys.

All I have done this year is get a scoop of crappie minnows and use the heads... Crappies go nuts over them. I have also had a few nice northerns bite on them... I am also guessing it is the scent that they put off. I havent used wax worms since the first time I went out.

I had a similar bite yesterday except i put on a bigger jig and a fathead with the body ripped off and Jigged it in 15" Strokes to get them to bite...Sometimes they're so agressive that your smaller presentations aren't interesting enough for them...I wasn't fishing mazaska but was within 30 miles of you. Could have just been a tough bite also...but try all baiting options before giving up.

Yeah it is hard to explain. I have always been told that when you can't get them to bite that you go to the next size smaller bait. After that didn't work I did actually go to the bigger size jig again. What was weird thought is that on the marcum they followed every single bait I put down. I really do have to believe that it was the bait I was using. They didn't want the waxies, they wanted the minnow head or spike. And as for the jigging I tried everything there too. I tried doing nothing, jigging a little and I even tried jigging pretty extreme. But I guess it doesn't matter thanks to you guys I have some more ideas to try the next time I go out.

And you know what they say "that's why they call it fishin not catchin"

If you always start off with big jigs or spoons and jig them agressively...then yes its probably always true that you need to downsize if they're not biting....But often enough i start with a medium or smaller lure, and sometimes have to Upsize.

Yesterday the fish would look at all my lures, but would only bite when i jigged them super agressively - Probably a strong "prestorm" bite.

Anyone get out to the area lakes today? Just wondering how the new snow has affected travel. I'll likely have to walk it, as I don't think the wind tomorrow iwll help with car travel on the area lakes.

Hit a local lake yesterday. 4wd required for the less traveled lakes. Had to hit the landing with some speed to get through the 2' of snow drifted in...but made it on and off the lake w/o a problem.

Was on Ladison Make today. 4x4 is pretty much a must as the "DNR" access is rough and deep. Best bet to find a lake with a plowed road if your using a car. Perhaps the warm weather this weekend will knock down the snow pack. Good Luck.

Well I got out on Tetonka today and fished 15-25'. I popped quite a few holes as it seemed the only way to catch fish was to chase the crappies around. Caught a fair number at sunset, but before that it was slow. I would fish one hole for 5 minutes, than off to the next one. Finally I just said screw it because that wind is cold!

Hey new to this site. not sure if this is the right forum. Looking for input on ice fishing contest on feb.12. Any in southern Minnesota. I'm thinking about going to Alexandria but don't know if it would be worth. been fishing around albert lea and no luck this year. Might try madison on sat. if I stay around here. thanks for any help.

Went to German on Saturday night. Caught 4 crappies over 10" and 6 more between 8-9" They were very finicky and didnt start biting much until about 6:30pm on minnow heads

Dailywalleye, try the "Tournament/League/Charitable Event" forum located near the very bottom of the list, that's where a lot of the ice fishing tourney info can be found.

Crappie bite has slowed down a lot as of late with the quality of fish almost not worth talking about...Thankfully the walleyes have started to hit pretty good within the last 3 outings. Picking up a few every night around the 4-5pm. hours. Fatheads or small shiners are working best on small presentations of glow hooks and plain red hooks. Getting a few to hit the rattle spoons also but need to work them constantly. Most are hitting the baits like a freight train.... P2062102.JPGP2052093.JPG

a few fish from sunday night

Nate...you show off. :P You gonna be in your shack tomorrow? I have all day off.

Just telling it how it is Matt. Gotta have the proof along with it right??....

I'm heading to the lake within the hour today but not sure about tomorrow. Depends on how the homeowners feel about the weather tomorrow as if my project will be a go or not. If not I will be out there to watch the sun go down again. You know where I'm at so just stop by.

Fished a local lake and the Crappies were AAgressive yesterday afternoon until sunset taking big presentations. Large fat heads on a deadstick would go down like a walleye nailed it, and a (moxy Minnow-perch) spoon filled with wax worms also coaxed some big ones into eating.

9" to 13" crappies - all released.

18fow next to a 30' basin

full-26433-5734-img_3347.jpg

Nice work Truth! Those are some dandy fish, especially with the lack of quality I've been able to find in crappies in the past few weeks.

I got out again last night for the sunset bite and picked up 3 more eyes, all hit the deadstick with small shiners on a #6 glow hook. Not as aggressive as the days before but still biting.

Got out this morning and was on the lake by 6:45. I had two fish on before I even got my second line down. Got 4 walleyes this morning with one 13" crappie mixed in in the bunch randomly. No other crappies to speak of but I did miss at least 4 fish today. I will be hitting the lake this afternoon again to see if they will still be around.

Found a great bite on Saturday by chance(maybe).

Went out extremely early and the fog was heavy so while driving across the lake and watching the H2O,I noticed a different inside turn coming up to a saddle and I got out and noticed nobody had been on this spot and no houses were really that close. smile

I got out drilled a few holes and fish were on the Vex.

Set-up shop at then at sunrise all heck broke out, caught Crappies up to 13" and a bonus 5lb Northern.

What a day.

Sometimes I just need to lay more trust in my Electronics (H2O) then just relying on my "ol spots".