• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey folks. This is really the first year I've tried to catch walleye, except that I don't have access to a boat of any sort. The main place I've tried has been off the shore around the bridge on Co rd 12 over Cannon Lake in Faribault. However, it was around the end of september when I was there last. (45 mile drive one way for me, so I don't get over that way too often, beings I have 6 young children at home.) I was going to ask if the bite was still on, but it sound like it is. Do walleye typically feed close to shore during the daylight in the fall? Or do you still go during low-light times?

Am I asking too much of the walleye to come close to shore so I can catch them?

As far as panfish go, during this time of year, are they still biting, or do you generally wait for ice to go after them?

My experience with fishing is basically a worm and a hook catching bluegills, hence the questions...

Thanks

malkin, welcome to HSO!

Your shore spot is an EXCELLENT choice for walleye shore fishing, people with boats hit that spot from shore! About a few weeks ago to almost ice up, those big girls will be on breaks during the day, and up shallow at night with the feed bag on!

I personally would still fish it for eyes. On Cannon lake, the night bite seems to excel.

As for panfish, I would wait for ice now, as they have moved to the deep holes of many lakes. My last time out on my boat, they all were stacked in 25+ FOW.

Breaks = changes in depth... Doesn't always have to be a sharp change like changing from 10 feet - 25 feet. Sometimes it can be as subtle as changing from 10 feet to 13 feet for example

• 2 weeks later...

On my way home tonight, stopped at the boat launch on Kelly Lake, noticed 2 guys out pike fishin; asked them ice thickness, they stated 4".

Buddy of mine fished Hunt lake yesterday, found 4 to 6 inches where he was.

******Most of Shields, Mazaska, Fox, and Dudley were ALL 75% open a day ago! Use common sense fellas please! I'd like to read your fishing reports this winter, not your obituary's!

I noticed the same thing... 2 days ago Shields was approx. 40% open as well as Mazaska. Dudley was about 75% open. Today all three were frozen shut, but there was someone fishing on Shields and Dudley not 50 yards from where it was open 2 days ago... Not worth it! Be safe and tight lines

Got out today and found 4-6 inches on the lake we were fishing. The 5 of us ended up with 7 notherns ranging from 1.5 to 6lbs. They are currently being pickled!

Made my annual check up on Cody Lake today. 6" of ice and I'm eating a salami sandwich instead of fish cry

Felt good to get out on the ice again today. Fished tip ups on Kelly-Dudley for a couple hours this morning. Found 6" of clear ice. 2 flags within the first 15 minutes and then nothing. One on a shiner and one on a sucker. Felt good even if they're just little guys! laugh

IMG00048-20101206-0923.jpg

I hooked into some NICE crappies in 16' on a small lake SW of Shields Lake. Ice was consistently 5" out to deepest hole of lake. My first hole of the season filled the fryin pan nicely!

My new NUVI 500 w/ Lakemaster chip worked flawlessly.

There have been guys fishing Kaderlik's bay on General Shields, the deep hole on Mazaska just in front of the public landing, and some portables on Cedar Lake in Rice County in front of LaCannes Camp Ground. I have heard of ice anywhere from 1 - 8 inches on most lakes.

Be careful guys/gals...naming a small lake and/or even being vague about it on this site can destroy it.

Zelmsdawg

C'mon man. naming a small lake and/or even being vague about it on this site can destroy it. I wouldn't blame 'this site' for lake names. I wouldn't generalize 1 site for a lake that you are salty about...Word of mouth spreads like wildfires!

All that i am at liberty to say is it's normally a quiet lake. Sorry but all the lakes around me are way over fished and see too many little ones being kept so with that said...do a little research of the lakes near and you'll know when you find it. Good Luck Breu18061!

If i have time to make it out there i'll send ya a msg. wink

Sneakydevil

just got back from the lake. finally got on the structure i have been wanting to fish. had 3 inches. got 4 eyes (released a 27 incher). also picked up some nice crappies. i understand sneaky devil no hard feelings its definetly not hunts though that lake is bunk

C'mon man. naming a small lake and/or even being vague about it on this site can destroy it. I wouldn't blame 'this site' for lake names. I wouldn't generalize 1 site for a lake that you are salty about...Word of mouth spreads like wildfires!

I agree word of mouth will spread the news also, perhaps more but I've witnessed several times in the last couple years where someone mentions a lake with a hot bite and soon after the number of portables double. Coincidence, perhaps. Am I over-reacting? Quite possible. I do think more people 'ghost' this site than most realize though. I just prefer to play it safe

Zelmsdawg

i am planning on heading down to mazaska tomorrow and have not been down since before the storms. have people still been fishing there? i know there will be slush and water coming up the hole. i just planning on walking straight out from the landing again but am wondering if that is possible......

Where exactly is Mazaska? I have seen in mentioned numerous times but I honestly have never heard of it....

Where exactly is Mazaska? I have seen in mentioned numerous times but I honestly have never heard of it....

It is on the north side of Hwy 21 between Shieldsville and Faribault

any reports for the Mankato area? looking to take my brother out tomorrow and he hasn't been fishing in a while so I'm lookig to get him on some good fishing....how's madison/washington?