• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have also had success in the past casting the weightless crawler harness much like a crankbait. It really puts fish in the boat when they want live-bait and a little slower presentation.

• 2 weeks later...

Took a trip to a local lake today to test out my new trolling rod and plainer boards.

Trolled plainers anywhere from 10-17 fow salmo hornets #5 and #6 firetiger, and a silver and black shad rap.

My buddy get the first fish a 19" eye, and the he got a 36" pike.

Then My Rap was dragging on the top so I started to reel it in and a 28" pike slammed it. I also caught a sunfish on the rap, and missed another fish.

It was better then I thought it would have been given there being almost no wind and really sunny.

South Central MN Weekly Fishing Report, 9-25-09

Live bait continues to produce here in southern MN when going after walleyes. The unseasonably warmer fall weather has slowed the decline in water temperature, so fish remain near cover. By the way, there's still lot of cover available out there! Again, snug a nice, juicy crawler up on a jig and focus on deeper weed edges in 12 - 20' of water. Trolling crank baits in this same depth range has been productive on occassion too. When trolling, don't be afraid to move your presentations up and down the water column. If you're able to stumble onto a suspended bite, you're in for a real treat because generally speaking, the fish will be schooled and active.

The pan fish are really on the move right now, which makes it a little more difficult to establish a pattern. One thing's for sure - don't sit still in one spot for too long if nothing's happening. If it's 'gills you're after, they're still using shallow water structure but their window of feeding opportunities is often times quite short. Fish these areas aggressively, picking off 1 - 5 fish at a time before moving on. Crappies continue to play "cat and mouse" with the fishermen and women of the area. Sometimes they're mixed right in with the 'gills while other times they can be found hugging the bottom in 15+' of water, going up and down the water column over main lake and secondary basins and even suspending with the walleyes. Be versatile. If what you "always do" isn't working, slowly pull yourself away from "that" and try something different even if it's a different presentation look.

In Le Sueur, it's raining outside. HINT: Look for fresh water entering the lakes this weekend. I'm headed East!

Leaves are turning color, so it won't be long now!

Again, snug a nice, juicy crawler up on a jig and focus on deeper weed edges in 12 - 20' of water.

I've been on 8 south-central lakes within the last 2 weeks combing off-shore structure & cover with my 997SI. Where have you found deeper weed edges in 20' of water?

Originally Posted By: Team Otter
Again, snug a nice, juicy crawler up on a jig and focus on deeper weed edges in 12 - 20' of water.

I've been on 8 south-central lakes within the last 2 weeks combing off-shore structure & cover with my 997SI. Where have you found deeper weed edges in 20' of water?

Give yourself a little room when talking "edges" but Jefferson, German, Madison, Tetonka, Frances, Washington and Volney all have deep weed edges holding fish right now.

You will be hardpressed to find weed edges deeper than 10-15 FOW around here, especially this late in the season. I did find some weeds on Frances and Tetonka in 10-12 FOW. (Saturday on Tetonka, Sunday and Wednesday on Frances.) I also have fished German, Shields, Mazaska, Cedar, Washington, and Rays.

Have you been on the lakes you mentioned recently (within a week or so)? What is the deepest weeds you have found recently on Madison?

My best areas for game fish have been deeper rocks (10-20 FOW) or shallower weeds (2-8 FOW). I haven't fished panfish lately, but have marked them on every lake. Many that I am seeing are tightly schooled, but not tight on cover or structure.

You will be hardpressed to find weed edges deeper than 10-15 FOW around here, especially this late in the season. I did find some weeds on Frances and Tetonka in 10-12 FOW. (Saturday on Tetonka, Sunday and Wednesday on Frances.) I also have fished German, Shields, Mazaska, Cedar, Washington, and Rays.

Have you been on the lakes you mentioned recently (within a week or so)? What is the deepest weeds you have found recently on Madison?

My best areas for game fish have been deeper rocks (10-20 FOW) or shallower weeds (2-8 FOW). I haven't fished panfish lately, but have marked them on every lake. Many that I am seeing are tightly schooled, but not tight on cover or structure.

Grass and/or stubble is weeds (or cover) too, so don't be dead-set on looking for just vegetation that is standing. The warmer water this late into the open water season is helping keep things in tact. Some edges are subtle, while other are more pronounced but in most cases, short in distance.

I haven't fished Madison at all this open water season. I've been on Frances and Tetonka though and there is some nice, deep grass/weeds on both. As for the others mentioned, information gets filtered to me from other anglers who have fished bodies of water I haven't been able to make it to.

I continue to nail fish in the 6 to 8 FOW area on Mazaska. Trolling Salmos at 2.5mph. Also in 10-18 FOW in another spot. Depends on the wind laugh

Fished tetonka today. for once the cat caught the mouse with the slabs ended up with ten lots of sorting. also picked up a nice 30incher in the process how i didn't get cut off i dont know was a fun fight on the ultra light. he was cpr'd nice healthy fish. bass bite also picked up nothing big but they seemed to be mixed in with the slabs. everything came from 7.5 feet if water. using fat heads. was not a fun trip off the lake huge rollers out there !!!!

I'll be heading out early this Saturday morning chasing some eyes. Any suggestions on what lake to hit? I would like to avoid Madison.

I'll be heading out early this Saturday morning chasing some eyes. Any suggestions on what lake to hit? I would like to avoid Madison.

I'd fish Washington or Tetonka.

Fished Mazaska for 2 hours this afternoon in the wind and rain.

Water temp was 56.2.

Trolled 1.2 to 3mph. 5-9 FOW. HJ10's and Salmo's

No fish, but had 2 nice hits.

Fished tetonka again on sunday. water temp was 58.8 had a good day besides the mist and wind. ended up with six perch at 10 inches two were 11 didnt know there were big ones in there. one eye about 10 inches, 1 big slab, 2 big largies and a bunch of little ones biggest 19 inches, 9 northern bite was crazy on the west first cast had a 24 incher casted again nothin next one got a 28.5 ten cast's or so hit a 30 dad caught the rest his went 27, 24, 23 and the other ones were just little guys 12 to 18 i would guess. got on the water at 830 got off at 6. i fish out of the 18 foot alumacraft with the yamaha 150 if anyone see's me stop by

South Central MN Weekly Fishing Report, 10-10-09

Our drastic change in weather has more or less forced the fish to respond to fall and boy, they have responded in a big way over the past week or so. Live bait continues to produce but I'd say crank baits and plastic have ruled the roost. The nice thing is that most walleyes are still hanging near cover, so find that, play the wind and it's go time. Fish are being caught throughout the day but if you want steadier, more violent action, fish the last few hours of light. The walleyes in the area have definitely ramped up their feeding patterns. Trolling crank baits remains a good option too but now that water temperatures have found their way to the low 50's, boat speed has never been so critical. Start at ~1.8 mph and work down from there. Yes, down. When slowing down, don't be afraid to go bigger with your presentations too.

The cooler weather really snuck up on the pan fish too and they haven't been as quick to adjust as the walleyes did. Continue to stay mobile and look deeper before you look shallower. Think of areas where you would target crappies first ice and fish those and adjacent areas.

Bundle up and get after 'em! The best is yet to come.

• 3 weeks later...

Perfect wind to get out again today if walleyes are your game. I'm seeing lots of people on the north side of Elysian. Get on the north shore of any of the good local walleye lakes and I'd bet you'd get some bites today!

Another perfect walleye wind (at times admittedly excessive). Lots of people fishing between Cannon and Wells today where the wind was blowing in.

The big eyes have been biting after dark.Friday night i caught and released 3 wallys between 24-26 inches.Saturday night i caught and measured a 28.5 incher.There was also another buddy that has caught over 10 of them all big ones.Minnow colored floating raps shallow water.All fish have been caught shore and wader fishing.Full moon last couple nights.

The big eyes have been biting after dark.Friday night i caught and released 3 wallys between 24-26 inches.Saturday night i caught and measured a 28.5 incher.There was also another buddy that has caught over 10 of them all big ones.Minnow colored floating raps shallow water.All fish have been caught shore and wader fishing.Full moon last couple nights.

Harvest Moon baby. Nice work Dan.

was out an elesian shore fishing the other night and agree the fish are biting. caught 3 eyes, a 19 a 28 and a 30!. The 28 and 30 went back in after pictures. Kind of put the other guy fishing there to shame(he had a 27 incher in the bucket and I could tell he felt guilty after seeing the 30 incher released). Still can't understand if you have enough small ones for a meal why you would keep the big hogs but oh well. Wind has been ripping great the last 3 days but is changing today. Will head out after work and see if they are still in there

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a lot of people read this report. I came back from some hunting late in the afternoon and the shoreline on the highway was filled.

Looks like a lot of people read this report. I came back from some hunting late in the afternoon and the shoreline on the highway was filled.

Mongo, the bite started out there in July shortly after Independence Day on spinners and night crawlers and has been "on and off" since then. Things really got going shortly after Halloween and as of late, it's been real good. You don't need to fish hip to hip either. Many spots producing.

I know not all are but I hope some of the big girls are getting released.

• 4 weeks later...

Lets start some ice reports! Fished a local lake on Sunday before the game with a buddy. Put out 4 flags and had 4 flags in 3 hrs. Kept 2 2 lb northerns, for pickling and one 7lb 29 incher! She was released. Got her in 4 ft of water. Don't be afraid to set shallow this time of year when flagging pike!

Fished 7' - 8' of water Sunday morning. Hexi-flies, gill pills, gill getters, and small fiskas tipped with wax and gulp. Caught 6 really nice vince gills that were 8" -9". Then is shut off, fast.