• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thank you. That is what I figured but wasn't sure. I love reading this forum and have learned so much from all of you Fm'ers. I read this site several times a day and try and soak in all the tips and tricks you people share and have gained a ton of confidence out on the water. I rarely get time to go so when I do I like to catch something. However even if I don't catch anything it is still better to be on the water than any where else. But since I have started reading this site I have rarely gone to any lake and got "skunked" even if its sunnies and crappies. I LOVE fishin and introducing other people to the sport. Thanks again and good luck fishin

It is awesome, isn't it? So happy to be a part of this "family".

nice report TO but as for fishing the deeper water 20+ feet or more deep i think 120-150' back is a bit much with a wally diver. i know the more line you let out the deeper they dive but if you have mono line that has a little stretch to it how you ever going to hook anything that far back? chances of bringing one to the boat are maybe 3 out of 5 if that. or are we talking about using fireline or power pro line in this case?

10/4 Fireline.

wow for some fishing people you guys spend alot on the computer you should be out fish....

The power of technology goes a long ways. I know several FM users whom I would consider "regulars" that utilize the full potential of their lap-tops and/or PDA's while in the outdoors. What I mean is just because someone is posting on-line doesn't mean they're sitting at a desk.

Originally Posted By: RATTLE BOB
wow for some fishing people you guys spend alot on the computer you should be out fish....

The power of technology goes a long ways. I know several FM users whom I would consider "regulars" that utilize the full potential of their lap-tops and/or PDA's while in the outdoors. What I mean is just because someone is posting on-line doesn't mean they're sitting at a desk.

A reason my wife won't allow me to bring my Blackberry to lake Tetonka anymore. whistle

A reason my wife won't allow me to bring my Blackberry to lake Tetonka anymore. whistle

If you guys knew how hard I was laughing right now......

lifeisfishing, go to the MN DNR website and grab a map off of the Lakefinder for a lake your interested in and post it, we'll throw lots of ideas at you.

not sure how to do that? but if ya tell me how i will give it a shot. (have the wife help me!) like elysian.. it is blue is that right?

INSIST ON SALMO!!!!!!!!!!!! ok wooooooohoooooo wooooopeeeeee ok i boated a keeper eye tonight. it was 19 inches. the better news is the 13 in crappie makes it look small! red tail shiner and gold metallic orange. thanks again to all who have been learnin me. my 2 yr old has a blast crankin these in! just a side note.. found that i needed higher speeds today with calmer weather. is that a commen pattern? or heat related

Well the Red Snapper bite is really on now! oh wait this is the south central not Florida saltwater sorry guy I had to tease you! went out for 2 days and all I can saw is best lights out fishing I have experienced.

Thats awesome Tapper! You will have to post some pics.

Got out on Mazaska tonight. We tolled for a few hours working a weedline, depth was 4.5-15ft, mainly focused on 6-10 range. Only thing we boated was a couple of slue sharks....

Pasted a guy out there who was trolling, he was nice enough to hold up and show us a decent walleye out of his live well.

I am still pretty new to this shallow water walleye fishing.. When fishing in 6ft of water do you want your bait to be about 2-3ft above the bottom? Also my trolling speed was 2.6 on the gps.

Thats awesome Tapper! You will have to post some pics.

Got out on Mazaska tonight. We tolled for a few hours working a weedline, depth was 4.5-15ft, mainly focused on 6-10 range. Only thing we boated was a couple of slue sharks....

Pasted a guy out there who was trolling, he was nice enough to hold up and show us a decent walleye out of his live well.

I am still pretty new to this shallow water walleye fishing.. When fishing in 6ft of water do you want your bait to be about 2-3ft above the bottom? Also my trolling speed was 2.6 on the gps.

Don't be afraid to get your trolling speed close to 3.5 mph and nudge your lures a little closer to the bottom. I'd like to start by ticking bottom and work up from there.

hey last night i went out fishing on a lake near saint peter i caught my limit of crappies but you guys on hear are never talking about the lake.

Quote:
Don't be afraid to get your trolling speed close to 3.5 mph and nudge your lures a little closer to the bottom. I'd like to start by ticking bottom and work up from there.

Yep, Team "Buck" Otter. grin

go out to a lake in saint peter is not lake washington the other 1 use twister tails out there i went friday and caught my limit i had to throw 5 back.

had awesome luck sat/sun in Fairmont. excellent crappies, two walleyes, a 19' bucketmouth, couple perch. used to be the guy hiding from the wind... now i am fishing the windy points. read what some of these guys are writing and apply some or all to your fishing stlye. it has really helped me. 6-10 foot and 2.5-3.0 mph. good fishing all!

i go all over up north south dakota looking for perch i cant find any can some 1 give me a clue to were to go wink

was out yesterday 4 tell 10:30 fishing buddy boated 1 eye 19 but really really slow outher then that marked lots of fish in the 20 foot rang or so ...really really nice night to be on the lake trolling around at night

South Central MN Weekly Fishing Report, 8-22-09

"One here, one there", "Slow" or "Tough going" have been common phrases kicked around at the boat landing as it relates to recent outings for walleye. Now is a time of the year when you should be trying presentations you've never tried in locations you've never fished. You should also be thinking about the upcoming fall bite and where you'll have your portable set for those first few early ice trips. One presentation that can be very effective this time of year is trolling spinners and night crawlers, minus any weight, behind planer boards over shallow weed stubble. If the fish aren't responding to that, draggin' jigs and night crawlers or blade baits just off the edge of the weed stubble can be effective too. If you want to target deep water, of course, suspended fishing is always an option but don't be afraid to try trolling minnow or stick-style crank baits behind a 3-way rig.

Some times it sounds like a broken record but the pan fish in the area remain fairly active. If it's 'gills you're after, they're still using shallow water structure more often than not and can be regularly caught with rocks or gravel nearby. Crappies continue to play "cat and mouse" with the fishermen and women of the area. Sometimes they're mixed right in with the 'gills while other times they can be found hugging the bottom in 15+' of water, going up and down the water column over main lake and secondary basins and even suspending with the walleyes. Be versatile. If what you "always do" isn't working, slowly pull yourself away from "that" and try something different. Right now, there are loads of crappies and 'gills hanging just under the water's surface on lakes with deep (20+') water. Go over the main and secondary basins quickly with #4 Salmo Hornets or your favorite small profile crank bait or beetle spin until you make contact. If you like what's happening, stick with it or slow down and fish 'em with jiggin' Rapalas. Another off-the-wall presentation for mid-summer panfish is to focus on the skinny water and "fish the shade" with larger gear, similar to that as what's described above for walleye fishing. Docks, boat lifts and timber provide the kind of shade that is desired. Often times, this can be a great option when the sun is setting and/or rising.

With the water temps dropping so rapidly due to our odd summer, would you think the fish might be moving into their fall patterns?

With the water temps dropping so rapidly due to our odd summer, would you think the fish might be moving into their fall patterns?

I wouldn't get too excited yet because the water temperatures still got over 80.0 F on most lakes, so it'll take some time. However, it's not out of line to think there will be some darn good 'eye action just a couple games into the high school football season.

Had a nice morning of fishing. Trolled a #4 hot perch salmo hornet at ~3mph in 7'-10' of water. Caught 3 crappie, 3 bass, 4 nothern and 1 sheepie. First sheepie on a crank bait. Caught a bullhead on a hornet last week.

Thanks for all the tips. You guys do a good job of helping us amateurs.

6011_127662147690_545932690_2969325.jpg

well i decided to take a 5 day vacation up to the bigfork area in northern minnesota before school starts back up. Just got back to the area around 5pm tonight. the weather did not cooperate well and yesterday was the only nice day we had. Caught this 17 3/4 inch eye in 9 feet of water trolling a gold jig with a black mister twister over a weed bed. it was the only fish i caught the whole time. i guess its better to catch something at least...

there are still fish out over deep water was out on a big deep lake the other day was trolling cranks over 36 foot hole 7 foot down and get some eyes

Hey Muddog,

I was thinking about taking my nephew to a lake you like to fish for carp, that starts with a "V", for a little perch action tomorrow. Can you please give me an idea where to find the perch, depth?

Thank you.

Garrett

South Central MN Weekly Fishing Report, 9-4-09

You won't hear this from me very often but live bait should definitely be on the end of your line right now, particularly night crawlers. Snug a nice, juicy crawler up on a jig and focus on deeper weed edges in 12 - 20' of water. Another presentation that I eluded to on 8-22-09 was trolling spinners and night crawlers, minus any weight, behind planer boards over shallow weed stubble. Give this some attention too. If the fish aren't responding to either, go right back to what we all know has worked this whole summer; trolling crank baits. When trolling, if "the standard" isn't producing, don't be afraid to try lures that are jointed or have wider wobbles. For those of you wanting to strictly target deep water, of course, suspended fishing is always an option but don't be afraid to try trolling minnow or stick-style crank baits behind a 3-way rig.

Pan fish? Yup, broken record. If it's 'gills you're after, they're still using shallow water structure more often than not and can be regularly caught with rocks or gravel nearby. Crappies continue to play "cat and mouse" with the fishermen and women of the area. Sometimes they're mixed right in with the 'gills while other times they can be found hugging the bottom in 15+' of water, going up and down the water column over main lake and secondary basins and even suspending with the walleyes. Be versatile. If what you "always do" isn't working, slowly pull yourself away from "that" and try something different even if it's a different presentation look.

Happy Labor Day and here's to hoping you have time to enjoy the outdoors this weekend. I know I will and it starts tonight with taking in a high school football game. Love it!