• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Leech Lake Fishing Reports - Hackensack, Longville, Walker MN Also

I went out. Messy messy messy, but doable. Went out of Shores. Caught mucho perch, but the fun part was sight fishing for wallys. I was fishing in 17' and kept seeing larger fish on the locator at 10' ft. So I brought one rig up to that depth. Saw a blip on the locater so I looked down the hole. There was an Eye staring at my fathead. I twitched it twice and wham... a wally on the ice. This happened 3 times! I cannot even begin to explain why they were suspended. I saw at least three others that turned around and left. Still shaking my head.

NO pout during the Eelpout Fest, but lots of walleyes. We caught fish all weekend in Walker Bay. Lots of fun too!

• 4 months later...

Not sure why this hasn't been updated in forever, but I was on Leech this last weekend. I didn't hammer them, but I was pretty happy with the fishing. For the 12-15 hours I spent chasing walleyes, plenty of that was running time. I caught 19 walleyes. I was only able to keep 4 all around 15" long, but had 7 slot fish to go along with 8 dinks probably 7-11"s. My biggest was a 26"er, which came in 8' of water at high noon. There was a decent chop at the time.

Caught the good fish on Duck point & then on that first underwater point NE of Ottertail Point, what's that called? It comes out near Ivan's Bay according to my map, it looks to be before the bog as far as I can understand. The point they were a little deeper & were still willing to bite when the lake was flat & it was hot. Seemed to be mostly all big fish though.

Fishing on Woman chain was relatively slow for us this weekend. A few eyes, small northerns, and some decent bass. All the eyes were caught on deep breaks

I am bringing my family up for a few days this weekend. We are staying by Longville and would like to see if the kids can catch a few fish. I used to come up years ago for 'eyes. With the kids, I am looking for any help to catch sunnies, perch or crappies, as well as the occasional walleye. I'm not asking for exact locations, just a hint of where I can keep the kids busy. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!!!

If you can get on Girl Lake I might be able to help you. Years ago when I lived in Longville, we would go out in front of Longville campground, to your right as you leave the boat ramp in Longville, and sit at the edge of the weedline/lillypads and catch crappies until we were tired. Usually in the evening but they are catchable during the day. Granted, like I say it was several years ago, but I can't believe they aren't there anymore. Hope this helps a little. Good Luck.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any updates boys leaving in the morning for five fun filled days! Hows the bite been for eyes on leech? Time of day or night? Methods?

Just spent a week on Leech with ours and another family and had a great time, the weather was fantastic, not so muc for fishing but for family fun. Spent a couple hours each evening fishing and walleyes were okay, fished them 3 evenings and found some each evening, some rigging crawlers on mid lake drops. Our best bite came when the wind picked up on Tues eve on the rocks running husky's from 5-8', caught 6-7 in about an hour, all in the slot though, but still a blast. Even got a 48" ski at moonrise. Best color by far was glass perch husky size 8. Biggest eyes were 27 and 25 with most around 20 and a handful of keepers.

Spent three evenings chasing ski's to no avail, a couple follows and that was it. I think the sudden drop in temps might of had them off a tad as the water temp was down to 70... only fished the rocks with our limited time didn't run too far to find cabbage, maybe should have..?

Gonna be up in the leech lake area this weekend, but on a smaller chain of lakes. I'm wondering what the water temps are like and if the lakes are turning yet.

I'll be targeting muskie and i hope they haven't scattered due to turn over.

Definitely no turn over yet, you were right. The water temp was 70. Sunday we got skunked, 1 small rock bass and nothing else for the whole day! Monday was great, tons of northern, a few bass.

Only rumors of muskie though. One boat had a follow, another boat had a muskie break their bass lure in two. I'll head up again for 1 last try in a couple weeks.

I'll be up on Leech Lake for one day on Sat. 9/17. It's my first time fishing there, and was wondering if anyone has any certain spots I could try for walleyes and I might try for muskies too. If you have any tips on certain times, colors and lures that work better let me know.

Thanks in advance

Ryan

I wasn't on Leech this weekend much, but the two other area lakes were on the bite (for all species) was deep. 24-34 FOW. Find the steepest break you can, and fish it with either a jig and minnow/leech or a spinner rig w/minnow or leech. A friend did OK for walleyes on Leech Sunday using that same pattern.

I'll be up on Leech Lake for one day on Sat. 9/17. It's my first time fishing there, and was wondering if anyone has any certain spots I could try for walleyes and I might try for muskies too. If you have any tips on certain times, colors and lures that work better let me know.

Thanks in advance

Ryan

Here's a good link for some muskie advice (locations/set ups) that the guys over in the muskie forum have been kind enough to share with me.

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...imer_on_#UNREAD

• 2 months later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The main lake has some ice on it now! I Went yesterday out of pine point. We were fishing in 10FOW with about 7-8 inches of ice. I couldn't get to where I really wanted to go so it was slower than i hopped.

We caught 5 walleyes between 15-17, 2 pike and, 10 jumbos. Walker bay froze over tuesday night so a few more days and i will be hitting it up!

• 4 weeks later...

New Year> Calls for New Reports< Has there been a fish caught since the last report on Dec. 8th? @ 2012 Reports

Was up there Sunday and Monday and it was pretty slow. Managed 10 Jumbos and 1-24" walleye.

Was up the 1st-3rd. Fishing was slow, but when they moved through for short periods of time, we hit em good. Ended with 15 eyes, a few perch, and 3 northerns. Here is pics of 2 of them, 26.5" and 27.5". All fish were after dark until midnight.

full-15796-15886-27eyeleech.jpg

full-15796-15887-26eyeleech.jpg

Just wondering how the fishing has been going up here. I am taking a trip up to leech lake the first weekend in February with my cousins. We are thinkng about going out of walker and maybe just staying in walker bay. I have never fished on leech lake before. I am not asking for exact spots just general area. You can send an email if you would like.

Thanks,

Scott

Just returned from Leech. Fished Sunday afternoon in Walker Bay. Rattle n' flyer and set lines with fatheads from portable in 31 fow. Caught 12 walleyes. Had limit of keepers in 3 hours. 17 degrees and snowing. 20+ inches of ice.