• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Leech Lake Fishing Reports - Hackensack, Longville, Walker MN Also

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Yes the small flies hatched about two to three weeks ago, the big mayflies are starting to hatch now. We fished a different spot today on the big lake, we ended up getting about 30 walleyes. We fished a little deeper water. We would start on top of the break and work down the break and back up. we caught fish in 11 feet of water and we caught fish in 15 feet. Crawlers and leeches were the bait of choice on a spinner. We ended up getting ten keepers.

Has the may fly hatched already?

The large may flies are just starting hatch, there should be a peak pretty soon. Dont let it stop you from fishing, the eyes can still be had.

I've had spotty luck on Leech this spring - never got shut out, but never got more than a half-dozen fish in the boat. A friend wants me to take him out after work today - any general idea where we might start? We'll be launching from the west side of Steamboat Bay, but can travel a bit if need be.

thatoneguy,

try sand point at dusk if you haven't yet this year otherwise my dad has been doing well on Cedar point but there all to big (tough problem).

Good luck,

mr

I would try the goose flats,try to stay in 8 to 9 ft.of water.It's a little bit of a boat ride but it should pay off.

Brutal weekend (fri-sun a.m.) mayflies everywhere, still marking plumes. Went with a big grou - 5 boats, maybe 2 dozen eyes at the most, had sto stay near pine pt, goose flats fri sat due to wind, sun saw some tavel... fish caught on leeches, crawlers and minnows (shiners/fatheads) equally, most in 12 fow on breaks off the flats, spinners, no spinners, jigs were equal as well... tough weekend, my best came off a crank near ottertail on Sunday after throwing in the towel on drift/bktrl for the weekend. Hope others had better luck. Crappie were out in force taking the mayflies off the top of the water...

Yes it was slow fished from 8 am to 1 pm on sun. fathers day with my father and we boated 7 walleys one dogfish and two rock bass all the eyes were 19 to 22 inch. The sunday the 13th we fished from 8am to 4pm and boated 45 for three of us with us getting our 12 to take home was really fun!

Walleye fishing has been pretty good considering the weather and hatch. Have had decent fishing the last week with just one or two "not so good" days. Saturday we started out up by Duck point and could not get a fish. Tried one other spot on Ottertail and no fish. Made the run out to some rocks and it was the right move,(finally) We only kept 4 but caught atleast 20 walleyes. Sunday was the worst day of the week with no wind, high sun and 3 different kinds of bug hatches going on. It was one of those hot days and the bugs were all over the boat and a major pain in the butt. We managed a dozen walleyes with 4 keepers and the rest in the slot for a whole day of fishing.

Today was a different day. When I got to the landing there was decent east wind and cloud cover. Picked up quests and had high hopes. What a difference a day can make. I headed to some rocks and we jigged up a good 20 walleyes + by noon and dropped them off with there 8 keepers. Even with the slower then normal fishing there are big fish caught every day, and not just one. Picked up another group at noon. The wind had died and sun came out. Fishing was slower but was still able to get 10 walleyes with 4 keepers.

Fish that don't make the box are all over 20 inches with many 24,25 and a couple over 26.

I am fishing mostly rocks with jigs and minnows. I am either snapping or ripping the heck out of the jigs and thay smack it hard. Most anglers have abandon the jig and I will also when the rocks cool off, but when the wind blows the rocks are hot. The rocks are not a bad option with un favorable conditions either. The mix of size is very good with enough for the livewell and big fish for extra excitement. This bug thing should nearing and end I hope, but fish can still be caught it just takes more time and effort.

Gofishleach do you need to find a lot of rocks or sparse rocks do, how about mockys reef and I know I didn't spell that right or is that to shallow?

Gofishleach do you need to find a lot of rocks or sparse rocks do, how about mockys reef and I know I didn't spell that right or is that to shallow?

I have been fishing the larger reefs, Mokey is one of them. I have pulled fish off the tops at 7 to 10ft. Had a good day today with big fish and not so good with keeper fish but not much to complain about. The wind is nice and helps the bite but you can move off the top and still get fish on the 14 to 18ft edges if it goes flat.

Going to try Leech again Sat. What is a good presentation with the kids? Lindys, bottom bouncers, spinners, jigs? What is a good bait shop, we would be comeing from the Park Rapids area? Is there a bite during the day?

Thanks for any input.

Was in Kabekona bay last Sat and only caught two fish. They were keepers.

to make it easy for the kids, it's hard to go wrong with pulling a bottom bouncer and a spinner. it has been productive for me lately, along rock bar, or on steep break lines. spinners and a night crawler, has been the best for me.

How is the mayflie hatch doing is it starting to slow down

The hatch is starting to slow it seems. But that said on wensday when I headed out there was a huge hatch and we just hammered the walleyes, both large and box fish so I dont let the bug hatch change my fishing plans.

Well we made it out on Sat, late of course! Ended up with two keepers and one 18.5 incher. was out in Kabakona bay in the same area as last Sat. The gal at the bait shop said storms were comeing so the wife was freaked out to go anywhere else on the lake. Someday I will be there at the right time and the right place.

fished sun. from 730am to 530pm in the wind and caught three fish till we found the fish in the last two hours and boated 20 with 6 keepers my buddy wanted to get home or I would have stayed and fished they were very aggresive and could have caught a lot more had fun

Hello Warrior, can you share the presentation that you used the last two hours? a bone or two would be greatly appreciated!!!

Well Calvin we were useing the clasic live bait rig with a red hook with red bead they started the morning wanting crawlers then leachs were producing later in the day I am sure jigs would have produced good to I did talk to a couple of guys fishing by us and they were pulling plugs they caught 6 for all day sun if my partner would have helped I caught 15 to his 1 we would have smoked them!!! I hope that helps some

• 2 weeks later...

we went out today and did pretty good caught twenty two, kept five and released quite a few fish, caught some northern and some nice perch. we fished any where from 12 to 16 feet . these were the most productive depths. the biggest fish released was a 21 inch walleye. spinners and a night crawler were the only thing we used.

here is a pic

022.jpg

Thanks leechguy for the report. I am headed up this Saturday for a week-long stay on the west side of the lake (Benedict). As we make a couple of trips out to the big lake during our stay your report will give us a great starting point. I'll be sure to post a report when I get back...

Any other recent reports???

Great report, we are heading up in a couple of weeks. Staying a Sugar Point and hoping for a good time.

Thanks for your report!

Hey Guys, heading up to Leech this weekend for Moondance. Wanted to get out on the lake with the guys and see if we can't find a few fish. Would really appreciate the help. Haven't been up there since the weekend after opener and was just curious where they are biting.

Thanks

well a couple different things, during the day lindy rigs and a crawler or leech and bottom bouncer and spinners work to, with a crawler.work the weed edges and steep breaks.12 to 16 feet. went last night and boated seven fish in an hour and kept two. all on a lindy and a crawler. hope this helps , good luck.

During these hot days of summer and calmer waters do you see any difference between spinners or is a bare hook the way to go?

Hey Guys thanks for all the input I just had one other question. His cabin is in Kabekona Bay. I was just wondering if you guys had to travel to the mid lake structure or if you stayed around Walker Bay, The Narrows, Gooseberry Island. He has a Pontoon with a 45 on the back, it works great fro trolling but it takes a while to motor out the main lake.

buddha, I am also from Shakopee, my family happens to own the Donut Connection in town.

Hey David,

Been to DC a few times. I have been fishing around Stoney and Duck point and have had good luck. Lot's of areas to pick so if people move in on you just move to a quiet area and the fishing usually picks up again. Don't be afraid to try leech and crawler, never know what they want.