• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mississippi River North Fishing Reports

Joe

Dude....fish right here. This picture is going to self destruct come morning wink A few people will see it, but it is by no means a secret spot and most that do see it will not even be from the area. If you ever do see Rick or I there though..... you have to move grin

Well, you always know you're dealing with a real river fisherman when his cooler of beer is 5x bigger than his tackle box.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

CRUD! Just saw this post. Now I don't know where to go and fish. But I am gonna track me down that big cooler!!

LOL. I think you'll be OK without it. wink

The cooler or the spot? knowing wher the spot is, I would rather have the cooler grin

Come on now, we all know they can't put something on the interweb thingie if it isn't true... My bit coins are as good, or better than gold, and here comes planet X to wipe us out grin

The Mississippi Sauk rapids near Bk and spiral stair bridge gave me 8 small mouths and two cats.I was fishing for walleye and casting out to the areas where the water breaks and it sure seemed like a good spot for walleye but not today.Tried again later for cats behind a friend's house didn't catch a thing.Over all I think I will be doing more in st cloud in the next few weeks.Probeley Sauk rapids too.I havnt had much bass lately in sartell above the dam,the water is pretty high below between the dam and the dock by DG

These plumpy rock bass been showing up a lot too between Sauk rapids and sartell.There almost as annoying as me.Hee hee

sheesh it's rockin over the Sartell dam! checked 3 of my spots down river and nothing but smallies. fun but I was lookin for an eye or 2.

Hit the Dayton'ish area on Sunday. Wow she's over the banks in some places and I really like fishing high water, but this was too high. Caught 1 smallie and buddy caught a wee pike. Temps around 57. More rain the next few days. Ugh.

Last fall this back channel island was completey dry, now it's 7-8 feet deep. Also a lot of logs were floating down at a good clip.

Eye guy. Hey!!! Thats my secret spot.Your taking all my fish!! LoL. Mr LS is going to hear about this.

Never forget that the river is mine.... And the boulders too. lol

Well I got permission in sartell to fish behind a house on the river.I ended up bringing in 9 bass .They were close to shore.Some were out 30 ft and some were in the flooded weeds only a couple ft out.Minnows were the only thing they wanted.I started about 1:30 and thTheey stopped at 3:pm I drove to a community fishing area and caught only one.The dam in sartell is calmer now that they closed one side up.

Spent a few hours on the river this afternon above the St. Cloud dam. Water level has droped quite a bit in the last few days. Action has also droped off a bit. In 4hrs we only got two cats and a hand full of other fish. Tried cutbait, liver and crawlers, the only thing we could get anything on were the crawlers.

• 2 weeks later...

This might sound weird but I was wondering how you guys use cut bait.How do you determine the size to cut?Do you use only certain parts or all of it?

For larger bait I will usualy just fillet them like you would a walleye, except leave the bones in the ribs. Use a 2in x 3-4in chunk, the bigger the better most of the time. For smaller baits, I just cut the whole fish/minnow up into 4-5 pieces.

One of these days you'll have to take me fishing with you on the river and give me more of a visual aid on cutting bait.

Your more than wecome to come with on a cat adventure, infact that goes for anybody on here.

On a large sucker (one I catch on the river) I start the same as Rick with filleting off a side including the ribs. Then I steak that fillet in about 1" width, but then cut that piece in half to have two roughly 1"x1" chunks. The lower half will be thinner with more bones and the upper half will be thicker with more meat. Some days cats will hit either piece equally well, but other days one or the other definitely outperforms. Make sure you are keeping your bait fresh and trying different types and sizes of pieces. In my experience the back end of the fillet (past the rib cage) generally does not work as well for some unexplainable reason. Keep in mind I am fishing during the day where a lot of other people fish for cats at night and that might make a difference.

Here is a pic of a 19.5 small mouth I hooked today behind a river house in sartell. full-45395-34180-imag0270.jpg

full-45395-34181-imag0271.jpg

Nice bass Jeremy!!! Action picked up after you left, and so did the wind. I spent the whole day taking fish off and getting lines out of the trees, and I wasn't even fishing smile

What a guy! I got to learn the system over there.I should have spoke up louder for a net.You could have taken a pic with the northern and I would finally have a nice avatar.lol.Eyeguy said he would even shrink the photo. You never posted your George Washington cat fish photo?

What a guy! I got to learn the system over there.I should have spoke up louder for a net.You could have taken a pic with the northern and I would finally have a nice avatar.lol.Eyeguy said he would even shrink the photo. You never posted your George Washington cat fish photo?

Just trying to do my part wink Yep, all you have to do is yell "fish on" and someone will come and help, always a net handy there. We found it to be easier to land fish with the net for some of the wheelchair bound anglers, all they have to do is get the fish to the wall now.

The GW cat is for the premium thread I update on Sun.

• 3 weeks later...

The Mississippi river water level seems to be dropping and shore fishing is a little easier than it was when we had the rainfall recently.I been finding more carp around every day.For awhile they were mostly showing off but now there biteing on crawlers. I caught five of them just in the last couple days and there not small either.The bass I been finding are usually located in more active waters than still waters.Catfish are curious to me because I catch them in some creek openings to the main river and sometimes in deeper channel area locations.This week I'm going to continue trying for cat fish and carp,Its been a lot of fun with these bottom fish. grin

• 2 weeks later...

Made it out for a while today with Bradfull-26589-35001-002.jpg

full-26589-35002-003.jpg

after looking around the area we found a spot that held a few fishfull-26589-35003-005.jpg

full-26589-35004-006.jpg This 29.5in pig ended up being the big one for the day.full-26589-35005-007.jpg Brad, we ended up only getting a couple more after you left... fresh redhorse marinated in chicken blood proved to be the hot bait today grin