• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Joe

Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports

chris35

hey allthumbs, was just wondering what size the bigger fish were running in your limits. i remember 5 years ago we would be pulling in 13s and some close to 14s and the last 2 years or so if we wanted to put fish in the bucket they were 10s. still nice fish though. still hoping to get up there sometime this month.

rapman

allthumbs we are heading up on the 5th -8th of march going out of high banks for the first time did high banks road go out to center bar and whate side of bar did you fish you said 18 feet so were you on top of bar did you use jiging stuff smallthings like demans with live bait i am going to be pulling my 8 by 16 drop downe willthat make it out there

rapman

croixeyes this is rap man i am new to this sight were going up the 5th to the 8th are you going out of high banks and do you think you will fish that airea not sure where to fish 1st time for me

Buck Snort 2

Sounds like there will be people on the lake this weekend. I'll be up with a few buddies Thursday - Sunday. First time back to Winnie since 2003. I have GPS and map chip to help out. From reading posts, it looks like Rebel,around Center Bar in 18 feet and a 24-25 foot flat close to Zoomers are the places to look for fish.

Thanks for the info guys and anything else that can be shared would be greatly appreciated. I've been designated 'Da Guide' for this trip so the pressure is on.

AllThumbs

I do not have my GPS with me at work, so I am not sure what side of the bar we were on. We were east of the crack I mentioned though.

But, I do want to point out. I first setup my shanty 25 feet from the guys getting all of the fish - in 18ft of water. for 1.5 hours - I did not see a fish. I moved my shanty to within 10 feet of them. Then I started catching the fish. You had to be on the "fish track" to catch them. Other shantys 15 feet away were only getting a fish here and there.

AllThumbs

Yes. This was my 6th year fishing. I remember it the same way. This year, I do not recall seeing a fish over 13". most were 10 - 11.5".

AllThumbs

As far as the lures we used, it did not seem to matter. I happened to be using a Genz worm - glow in the dark white with the red hook. But, they were really aggressive and biting everything.

Bryce

Just now have time to report trip from Fri-Tues. Spent my first part of the trip chasing crappies in the area with good success thanks to an infamous/notorious guide. Even pailed an honestly measured 13"er. In desperate need of a shower, moved to Highbanks Monday afternoon. With a well scrubbed nether region, it was time for perchin. Set on a 22' flat and pounded perch. Only pailed 2 but should have kept alot more after looking at the cleaning pails. Could have easily had my 20 keeping 9"ers. This was out of a hard house set up with no hole hopping except from one end of the house to the other. Used a couple different perch colored jigs and deadstick with a white hook. Small/tiny crappie minnows were the key even when jigging early with only a minnow head. Best bite was 4:30 to dark. Can't wait until next year.

jigglestick

great to see you Brycie!

sorry I couldn't make it out monday. still trying to shake this bronchitis stuff. it's getting old.

went out today with the nice weather and it's got me coughing again.

sure was nice out. can't stand any more than two days indoors. I don't care if I was in the hospital, they'd better find a way to wheel me outdoors if only for a little while.

I was wondering how you did in the promised land.

to bad you couldn't find your own way to the holy land, you'd still be cleaning fish grin

rapman

bucksnort i will be up on the 5th i am going two start out by zoomers got a spot or too to try be driving a silver doge ram with a 8by16 ice castle tan color stop buy if you wish i will be driving around in truck with fish trap if nothing in big house good luck

Buck Snort 2

rapman,

Thanks for the invite.

One of the guys I'll be with got a new truck that we're taking and I won't know what it looks like unitl they show up in my driveway. I know its a 4 door and we'll be pulling a 4x8 trailer.

I have a black Frabil 2- man flip-over and I don't know what the other 2 guys have for a house.

We will be the 4 guys on the ice that really don't look like they know what they are doing.

Good Luck!

perch40

how is the snow , can we get off the mains with truck ?

jigglestick

no problem for any 4x4. most areas you can navigate in two wheel drive.

I went out off the end of the big island road and north to the zumers road. no trouble at all. I had to cross the pressure crack, but it was good to go where I crossed it.

with the warm temps, the ice is moving alot. keep an eye open for new cracks or buldges. the buldge on the zumers road was ok to cross yesterday. I see some people stopped when they saw it and turned around. just watch out for cracks that are obviously new.

DO NOT assume you can just dive over any road bank either. I noticed some new cracks in the road banks in places and some of them had dropped like 6 inches.

just use your heads...and eyes

perch40

thanks for the info ! staying at little winn this weekend . are the perch still deep . or have they moved in shallow?

brickpounder

Looks like quite a few guys are coming up this weekend. A group of three of us are coming up Sun-Tues. Third time up for us this winter. I'm excited to try my new XOG out. On sale at cabelas for$150 plus you get a free ram mount, vehicle adapter, pc adapter and free shipping so you can't go wrong. This device will pay for itself over and over unless it goes down the hole like the last one.

perch40

did anyone fish winn,and how did it go? we do winn the old fashion way get a map from dnr and a ruler measure it out......or guess where the depths of the lake are

side_laker

went out all day yesterday picked up 3 8" perch not reall good fishing. moved around trying to find them but no luck.. Hope someone got into them

Derek Vos

I fished winnie sat and sun with 3 other ppl and struggled all weekend we caught 2 perch over 11 1/2" and probably 20 other keepers. But we couldn't have asked for better weather. It was fun to get out and just fish without taking it to seriously.

Gary Crichton

I got a limit of eyes in 2 hours on Saturday, along with 10 keeper perch. 3 of us, It was slow, but the weather was great.

2 nice Northerns also, a 5 and an 8 Lber. Total take for the weekend 20 kepper perch.

G.C.

Lisa Almquist
Quote:
I got a limit of eyes in 2 hours on Saturday, along with 10 keeper perch
And this is slow? WOW!! winkgrin Good report Gary!

Gary Crichton

Well the eyes went back of course, and the bite was short lived and you had to be mobile. Never got to many out of the same hole. Like I said, we wouldn't have gone hungry.

G.C.

Buck Snort 2

A group of 4 of us were out Friday & Saturday. fished out from Ravens Point in ~24ft. We did OK the first day and better the second. If we would have gotten out an hour and a 1/2 earlier each day we could have probably doubled our take. By 1pm they were all but done eating and would just come up and look. Nothing came up our holes but perch although a guy not to far away pulled up a walleye and a northern. we caught them on everything from spoons to a plain red hook. The hot tip would be to get out there early. I don't know how early they start but they definitely stopped around 1-2 pm and starting slowing after 12:00. When we started fishing each day (9:00-9:30)it was all you could do to keep 2 lines in the water.

Good Luck,

Buck Snort

motley man

Ant reports on the bite after the storm?

thefishRmine

Went out on Sunday. First spot we tried only produced a couple small ones. Then we moved and found a little hole that was producing some keeper sized fish. It wasn't fast and furious, but plenty of action to keep everyone entertained. Well, that was before the wind came up. After that, only caught a couple more smaller ones before we decided to pack up. Would have liked to have stayed till dark, but with a long drive home, slow fishing, and fish to clean we made our decision to head.

Earlier on, they were biting on waxies then minnows were the ticket, either jigging or under a bobber. When it was really slow, most of the perch were spitting up these small little worms so threw a couple on and was able to get a few to commit. We were fishing on the north end of the lake in 26' of water and the other depths we tried only gave us small ones. Off road travel was doable, but was a lot more sloppy on the way out. Snow really softened up as the day went on. I'm sure there won't be much snow left here in a couple days, but who knows how long the shoreline will hold up.

quackhead25

Hey just wondering what the conditions are like up there, Im looking to head up to the cabin for the last time this winter. Im thinking about looking for crappies on some smaller lakes, just would like to know if it's worth bringing the sleds. Any snow/ice reports would be great, thanks!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye are being caught at a variety of depths with 24-27’ being the most consistent. Glow red with gold has been a hot combo this week. Rattle baits continue to draw active fish to our houses. Sauger activity has been very strong, providing Anglers the opportunity for full limits before new regulations take effect on March 1st. New limit regulations give a combination of six walleye/sauger with no more than 4 walleye. The slot of 19.5”-28 must be immediately release with one walleye over 28’ to be allowed in possession.

Canadian crappies are still filling buckets and freezers, they can be found near the bottom in 32-35ft. Super light tackle and willingness to keep trying different jig combinations is producing the most fish.  Many tulibee are being seen this week, which make for a tasty treat out of the smoker.  Walleye fishing continues to be very good in traditional areas, depth at 23-28ft. 

Snow depth in our areas is between 2 and 2.5 ft. Trails are in great condition after last weeks snow and wind conditions. 

Until next week, 
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, we are finding Perch, Walleye and Sauger, with 23-25 ft in the gravel being the most succesful. A lot of fish pulled from these areas were found to be preying on crawfish and spitting them up upon surfacing.  Pink and white has been the top producing color combo once again. It is equally important to keep charging your glow lures. During periods of extreme cold the Dead-stick was most effective. Very nice Saugers are still being caught out of 28-29 ft.  The best action has been early and late in the day. 

Canada has been providing mixed bags, seeing Perch, Crappie, Walleye and big Northerns.  A couple of limits of big crappies again this week, 30-33ft being the most successful depth. Big walleye and northern found in Little Traverse on rock reefs. 

We received 8+ inches of snow within the past few days, trails have large drifts that are hard to see, take caution in low light conditions until trail can be groomed.

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Fishing remains consistently strong on the Minnesota side this week. Many species are quick to bite leaving anglers with a very mixed bag at the end of the day. We saw multiple 40+ inch Northern, many Perch, even a Lake Trout among an already strong Walleye bite. 22-24 ft on gravel bottom surrounded by mud has been our best spots. Be sure to charge up any Glow tackle in use, with the increasing snow cover, glow or lighted lures have been hot. Pink/white and gold are also very effective on sunny days.
      The Canadian bite just keeps getting better! Crappies can be found in 30 foot holes while 22-26 ft flats on break lines have been hot for a Sauger/Walleye mix.
      Remember to stick to well-traveled trails as most have not been staked/marked as of yet.
      Until next week!
      Sunset Lodge

• jtnjenn
      By jtnjenn
      What are ice depths in the metro right now?
    • Hatto018
      By Hatto018
      So the weeks betwixt point and click and smoke pole deer hunting always have my ire up to get that last Musky Missile into my hands.  Gotta scrub that slime into my glove until next year.  Going to give the Mississippi below Falls a try here in a few hours.   Might find it frozen, might find a spot to get in.   I'll bring my boat because I'm an optimist,  but I'll bet the kayak is where i end up.   
      Wish me luck, otherwise I have a scheme on my mind for my favorite frozen central mn musky lake. 

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are holding in the low 50's but expect them to continue to drop this week with temperatures in the high 30's and even snow in the forecast.

Both Minnesota and Canadian walleye fishing are on fire with only a jig and shiner or minnow needed. Look for Walleye in areas of current, pinch points between islands or rocky bays. Fish are currently shiner dependent in 17-25 feet.

Crappies are being found away from the rocks suspended over mud bottoms in 24-28 feet.

Perch can be found on deeper reefs topping out at 28 feet. 

Muskie trolling is off to a great start and will only continue to get better as the water temperature reaches into the high 40's. 

We will be closing down for ice in October 22nd - we hope to see you before then for some late fall fantastic fishing!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Lake of the Woods water temps are steadily falling into the mid to low 50’s. This past week cold fronts and strong winds have fish schooling up and feeding heavily.

In Minnesota, look to rocky bays and adjacent reefs in 15-22ft. of water.  A jig and minnow is all that is needed to catch a limit in a short period of time. Bottle necks between islands in the NW Angle are also worth fishing in the evenings.

In Canada, the fishing has been excellent.  Crappie, walleye and perch are all schooling up and taking a jig and minnow.  With the water temperatures dropping, expect to see the muskie bite increase while trolling. 

We will be closing October 22nd for ice in! Contact us for availability for your fall fishing trip!

We hope to see you soon,
      Sunset Lodge

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the main basin... Very strong walleye fishing continues with the jig bite picking up.  Charters finding limits of eater walleyes with big fish mixed in.  Crankbaits, spinners / crawlers and jigs with frozen shiners in main basin successful. 15-31 feet of water producing good numbers of walleyes across south shore with very good numbers in front of gap. Shiners showing up at mouth of Rainy River as well as up the Rainy River. 
      On the Rainy River... With shiners entering the river, eater walleyes showing up as well.  Anglers reporting success both jigging and pulling crankbaits.  Walleye activity will be increasing as shiner run continues.  

Up at the NW Angle... Strong numbers of walleyes being caught on mud flats and around Garden Island. 15 - 25' is a good start.  Spinners, crankbaits and jigging all producing.  Some nice jumbo perch mixed with walleyes.  Muskie activity picking up as water is cooling.  Next full moon, Sep 24.  Crappie anglers are producing big black slabs.  

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Minnesota walleye action remains strong with spinners in mud bottomed areas near reefs using both minnows and crawlers. Fish can also be found in shallower water (15ft. or less) around Garden Island. Crankbaits seem to be the most effective at enticing larger fish. 
      Canadian walleye fishing has been fabulous this past week. The jig and minnow bite is on! Multiple boats ran out of bait and had just as much success switching to plastics. Bottom bouncing with crawlers remains effective in soft bottom areas as well.  Crappies continue to school up on deep water points. Hot windows of muskie bites have become shorter but still with good success.  Plenty of fish in the 4ft plus range and even a couple over 50!
      Water temps remain stable between 64-67 degrees. 
      See you soon!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      9.4.18 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, walleye fishing remains best with deep trolling minnow baits in 22-27 feet of water.  These same areas will provide action with a spinner and a minnow, however crawlers are still producing fish.  In the coming weeks, jig and minnow fishing will be the go to with fish stacking themselves on points and current areas. 

Canadian walleye action remains strong on bottom bouncer and spinner rigs with either a crawler or minnow.  Walleye are starting to school tighter making jig and minnow fishing very effective. Fall fishing is starting to heat up and we are seeing crappies schooled up on deep points.

Surface water temps are currently in the low 70’s throughout the day. 

We hope to see you soon!

Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Nick Billig
      We are looking to add a sales person to our Vadnais Heights, MN office. If you are unfamiliar with our company, we publish regional fishing and outdoor maps/information for the Midwest and East Coast. We’re well established and currently doing business at most your mom and pop shops as well as almost all the major outdoor outlets and big box stores.   We’re in the process of expanding into new markets and are in need of some sales support. This is a great opportunity for someone with no prior sales experience that wants to get their foot in the door and work for a growing company in the Outdoor field. Must be a self starter with excellent communication and interpersonal skills – AND must enjoy talking hunting and fishing of course….   Pay: Base Salary + Commission   If interested, please email me at [email protected] or send me a private message on this site.   Thanks and tight lines! -Nick
    • mrpike1973
      This is really getting rough out there. I will drive through anything but today I can say i was pretty nervous on the roads
    • Rick G
      The way it's coming down right now.... don't look good for area lakes in foreseeable future😉 we get another 8inches and it will be snowmobile only  for a while
    • BobT
      Try to keep in mind that the person you're talking to on the other end has nothing to go on but your description. It is not always that easy to explain things so another person who is only hearing the verbal or written explanation can fully comprehend what is being described. For example neither I or a colleague have been able to understand what this screw is you're talking about and we are both familiar with inline reels. Sometimes a  photo can speak volumes.   What I'm saying is maybe you're not being clear enough for them to understand the actual problem. Another tid-bit that may be helpful. Try to keep your composure and contain your frustration. It's most likely a failure to communicate that is causing the problem.
    • MN BassFisher
      A group of us recently made it up to Flag Island Resort for 3 days of multispecies ice fishing on Lake of the Woods. The accommodations and folks who worked at the Resort were top notch! Bending over backwards to put you on fish and make your trip one to remember.   The Fishing - Day 1 it was decided to stay, somewhat, close to the Resort in the MN side of LOTW to target Walleye, Sauger and Perch due to 24+ hours of snow. We got into pretty good numbers of fish and some quality fished showed up as well! Below is a video of that action from Day 1.  
    • eyeguy 54
      inches if all the forcasts hit. but probably south of us. 
    • SkunkedAgain
      Yup, I walk from the Landing so about 4.5/5 mile trek. It's not too bad when there are snowmobile tracks.   I appreciate the offer CigarGuy. I may take you up on it some day. As I cruise through my 40s, I'm enjoying the walk and what it does to help keep me in a semi-recognizable shape! My other family members don't enjoyed the shorter walk much better.
    • smurfy
    • CigarGuy
      I left up there this morning. I haven't seen the snow so packed down from snowmobiles all the way back towards your place. Should be able to have a fairly easy walk.....however, supposed to get some snow tomorrow and chances over the next few days. Do you walk out from the landing?  If I was in there when u come, I'd give you a lift/tow on my sled.
    • monstermoose78
      Congrats on the draw