• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Joe

Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports

chris35

hey allthumbs, was just wondering what size the bigger fish were running in your limits. i remember 5 years ago we would be pulling in 13s and some close to 14s and the last 2 years or so if we wanted to put fish in the bucket they were 10s. still nice fish though. still hoping to get up there sometime this month.

rapman

allthumbs we are heading up on the 5th -8th of march going out of high banks for the first time did high banks road go out to center bar and whate side of bar did you fish you said 18 feet so were you on top of bar did you use jiging stuff smallthings like demans with live bait i am going to be pulling my 8 by 16 drop downe willthat make it out there

rapman

croixeyes this is rap man i am new to this sight were going up the 5th to the 8th are you going out of high banks and do you think you will fish that airea not sure where to fish 1st time for me

Buck Snort 2

Sounds like there will be people on the lake this weekend. I'll be up with a few buddies Thursday - Sunday. First time back to Winnie since 2003. I have GPS and map chip to help out. From reading posts, it looks like Rebel,around Center Bar in 18 feet and a 24-25 foot flat close to Zoomers are the places to look for fish.

Thanks for the info guys and anything else that can be shared would be greatly appreciated. I've been designated 'Da Guide' for this trip so the pressure is on.

AllThumbs

I do not have my GPS with me at work, so I am not sure what side of the bar we were on. We were east of the crack I mentioned though.

But, I do want to point out. I first setup my shanty 25 feet from the guys getting all of the fish - in 18ft of water. for 1.5 hours - I did not see a fish. I moved my shanty to within 10 feet of them. Then I started catching the fish. You had to be on the "fish track" to catch them. Other shantys 15 feet away were only getting a fish here and there.

AllThumbs

Yes. This was my 6th year fishing. I remember it the same way. This year, I do not recall seeing a fish over 13". most were 10 - 11.5".

AllThumbs

As far as the lures we used, it did not seem to matter. I happened to be using a Genz worm - glow in the dark white with the red hook. But, they were really aggressive and biting everything.

Bryce

Just now have time to report trip from Fri-Tues. Spent my first part of the trip chasing crappies in the area with good success thanks to an infamous/notorious guide. Even pailed an honestly measured 13"er. In desperate need of a shower, moved to Highbanks Monday afternoon. With a well scrubbed nether region, it was time for perchin. Set on a 22' flat and pounded perch. Only pailed 2 but should have kept alot more after looking at the cleaning pails. Could have easily had my 20 keeping 9"ers. This was out of a hard house set up with no hole hopping except from one end of the house to the other. Used a couple different perch colored jigs and deadstick with a white hook. Small/tiny crappie minnows were the key even when jigging early with only a minnow head. Best bite was 4:30 to dark. Can't wait until next year.

jigglestick

great to see you Brycie!

sorry I couldn't make it out monday. still trying to shake this bronchitis stuff. it's getting old.

went out today with the nice weather and it's got me coughing again.

sure was nice out. can't stand any more than two days indoors. I don't care if I was in the hospital, they'd better find a way to wheel me outdoors if only for a little while.

I was wondering how you did in the promised land.

to bad you couldn't find your own way to the holy land, you'd still be cleaning fish grin

rapman

bucksnort i will be up on the 5th i am going two start out by zoomers got a spot or too to try be driving a silver doge ram with a 8by16 ice castle tan color stop buy if you wish i will be driving around in truck with fish trap if nothing in big house good luck

Buck Snort 2

rapman,

Thanks for the invite.

One of the guys I'll be with got a new truck that we're taking and I won't know what it looks like unitl they show up in my driveway. I know its a 4 door and we'll be pulling a 4x8 trailer.

I have a black Frabil 2- man flip-over and I don't know what the other 2 guys have for a house.

We will be the 4 guys on the ice that really don't look like they know what they are doing.

Good Luck!

perch40

how is the snow , can we get off the mains with truck ?

jigglestick

no problem for any 4x4. most areas you can navigate in two wheel drive.

I went out off the end of the big island road and north to the zumers road. no trouble at all. I had to cross the pressure crack, but it was good to go where I crossed it.

with the warm temps, the ice is moving alot. keep an eye open for new cracks or buldges. the buldge on the zumers road was ok to cross yesterday. I see some people stopped when they saw it and turned around. just watch out for cracks that are obviously new.

DO NOT assume you can just dive over any road bank either. I noticed some new cracks in the road banks in places and some of them had dropped like 6 inches.

just use your heads...and eyes

perch40

thanks for the info ! staying at little winn this weekend . are the perch still deep . or have they moved in shallow?

brickpounder

Looks like quite a few guys are coming up this weekend. A group of three of us are coming up Sun-Tues. Third time up for us this winter. I'm excited to try my new XOG out. On sale at cabelas for$150 plus you get a free ram mount, vehicle adapter, pc adapter and free shipping so you can't go wrong. This device will pay for itself over and over unless it goes down the hole like the last one.

perch40

did anyone fish winn,and how did it go? we do winn the old fashion way get a map from dnr and a ruler measure it out......or guess where the depths of the lake are

side_laker

went out all day yesterday picked up 3 8" perch not reall good fishing. moved around trying to find them but no luck.. Hope someone got into them

Derek Vos

I fished winnie sat and sun with 3 other ppl and struggled all weekend we caught 2 perch over 11 1/2" and probably 20 other keepers. But we couldn't have asked for better weather. It was fun to get out and just fish without taking it to seriously.

Gary Crichton

I got a limit of eyes in 2 hours on Saturday, along with 10 keeper perch. 3 of us, It was slow, but the weather was great.

2 nice Northerns also, a 5 and an 8 Lber. Total take for the weekend 20 kepper perch.

G.C.

Lisa Almquist
Quote:
I got a limit of eyes in 2 hours on Saturday, along with 10 keeper perch
And this is slow? WOW!! winkgrin Good report Gary!

Gary Crichton

Well the eyes went back of course, and the bite was short lived and you had to be mobile. Never got to many out of the same hole. Like I said, we wouldn't have gone hungry.

G.C.

Buck Snort 2

A group of 4 of us were out Friday & Saturday. fished out from Ravens Point in ~24ft. We did OK the first day and better the second. If we would have gotten out an hour and a 1/2 earlier each day we could have probably doubled our take. By 1pm they were all but done eating and would just come up and look. Nothing came up our holes but perch although a guy not to far away pulled up a walleye and a northern. we caught them on everything from spoons to a plain red hook. The hot tip would be to get out there early. I don't know how early they start but they definitely stopped around 1-2 pm and starting slowing after 12:00. When we started fishing each day (9:00-9:30)it was all you could do to keep 2 lines in the water.

Good Luck,

Buck Snort

motley man

Ant reports on the bite after the storm?

thefishRmine

Went out on Sunday. First spot we tried only produced a couple small ones. Then we moved and found a little hole that was producing some keeper sized fish. It wasn't fast and furious, but plenty of action to keep everyone entertained. Well, that was before the wind came up. After that, only caught a couple more smaller ones before we decided to pack up. Would have liked to have stayed till dark, but with a long drive home, slow fishing, and fish to clean we made our decision to head.

Earlier on, they were biting on waxies then minnows were the ticket, either jigging or under a bobber. When it was really slow, most of the perch were spitting up these small little worms so threw a couple on and was able to get a few to commit. We were fishing on the north end of the lake in 26' of water and the other depths we tried only gave us small ones. Off road travel was doable, but was a lot more sloppy on the way out. Snow really softened up as the day went on. I'm sure there won't be much snow left here in a couple days, but who knows how long the shoreline will hold up.

quackhead25

Hey just wondering what the conditions are like up there, Im looking to head up to the cabin for the last time this winter. Im thinking about looking for crappies on some smaller lakes, just would like to know if it's worth bringing the sleds. Any snow/ice reports would be great, thanks!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      We're still OPEN & fishing up at the NW Angle!
      Fishing on the Minnesota side continues to be best early morning and from sundown to dusk. Work deeper edges of the break line in the morning and afternoon, moving up to the flats and points for an evening flurry. With low pressure coming for the weekend expect fishing to be excellent.
      On the Ontario side, Crappie action was really good this past weekend in 30+ feet of water. Lots of fish over 14."
      Lake conditions have drastically improved as water making slush has receded below the ice or has frozen over in most areas. Caution should be used in areas of high current or between islands. 
      Hard water fishing ends April 15th!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Areas of slush on trails in Minnesota are refreezing overnight and are still in good condition if well-traveled.  Walleye action is getting better every day, with mornings and late evening being best.  Rippin’ raps and buckshots are enticing violent strikes; 18-22 ft of water is key. Big northern pike are hitting jiggin’ spoons and tip ups with large baits.

Anglers venturing into Canada continue to find schooled Crappies and big walleye deeper into 30+ feet. A slow presentation is most effective for catching crappies. 

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota snowmobile trail conditions are in good shape. The Baudette trail is great north of Knight Island. Walleye action heats up in periods of stable weather. The best catching is happening in 21-25ft, with the most productive method being a dead-stick beside an actively jigged rattle bait such as a buckshot or rippin’ rap. Glow white/pink is out producing other colors. The late ice bite can be phenomenal on Lake of the Woods, ice permitting we will have houses out through the end of the month!

Canadian fishing is recommended via snowmobile as they are light enough not to drop into the slush as easy as other track vehicles. Crappies are still filling buckets and walleye are actively feeding on reef break lines and points. Walleye season is open through April 14th. 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Fishing is really starting to pick up, which usually means Spring is on the way! 

Fishing on the Minnesota side has been best at first and last light, which can make for long days on the ice this time of year.  The Sauger bite has really picked up with a lot good sized eaters coming out of 21-25 ft. The most effective colors for both Walleye and Sauger have been Chartreuse, White, any Glow/lighted/UV (specifically red) and hammered gold. When fishing at depths less than 20 feet, keep an active presentation. Northerns tend to be most active in the early afternoon which is a good time to take a break from jigging and put out a tip-up.

Fishing on the Canadian side has been good since the last snow storm and continues to produce Crappie and Walleye. A light setup for crappies with plastics or larvae has been productive.  

Slush is still frozen in well-traveled areas but it plentiful off trail.  

Fishing will continue to improve as the weather does, there is still a lot of time to fit in a last minute ice fishing trip!!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota Walleye can be found in 19-23ft early and late in the day.  Rattle baits will call these actively feeding fish to the hole.  Midday action is best adjacent to the break line at 25-29ft.  These fish are preferring a more subtle presentation such as a minnow and plain hook or a spoon with a whole minnow on a dead-stick.  It remains important to constantly re-charge glow baits to keep them productive in the deeper water. 

In Canada, walleye and crappie fishing is good in typical spots. Travel can become difficult in slushy areas, solo travel is not advised. Try to run on previous tracks laid as areas of slush will have frozen over night where machines have packed the trail.  We are no longer running day houses on the Canadian side, however now is your chance to bring snowmobiles, hire a local guide and limit out on the hot March bite! 

We are still offering 50% off mid-week lodging through March! (Sun-Wed nights)

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye are being caught at a variety of depths with 24-27’ being the most consistent. Glow red with gold has been a hot combo this week. Rattle baits continue to draw active fish to our houses. Sauger activity has been very strong, providing Anglers the opportunity for full limits before new regulations take effect on March 1st. New limit regulations give a combination of six walleye/sauger with no more than 4 walleye. The slot of 19.5”-28 must be immediately release with one walleye over 28’ to be allowed in possession.

Canadian crappies are still filling buckets and freezers, they can be found near the bottom in 32-35ft. Super light tackle and willingness to keep trying different jig combinations is producing the most fish.  Many tulibee are being seen this week, which make for a tasty treat out of the smoker.  Walleye fishing continues to be very good in traditional areas, depth at 23-28ft. 

Snow depth in our areas is between 2 and 2.5 ft. Trails are in great condition after last weeks snow and wind conditions. 

Until next week, 
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, we are finding Perch, Walleye and Sauger, with 23-25 ft in the gravel being the most succesful. A lot of fish pulled from these areas were found to be preying on crawfish and spitting them up upon surfacing.  Pink and white has been the top producing color combo once again. It is equally important to keep charging your glow lures. During periods of extreme cold the Dead-stick was most effective. Very nice Saugers are still being caught out of 28-29 ft.  The best action has been early and late in the day. 

Canada has been providing mixed bags, seeing Perch, Crappie, Walleye and big Northerns.  A couple of limits of big crappies again this week, 30-33ft being the most successful depth. Big walleye and northern found in Little Traverse on rock reefs. 

We received 8+ inches of snow within the past few days, trails have large drifts that are hard to see, take caution in low light conditions until trail can be groomed.

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Fishing remains consistently strong on the Minnesota side this week. Many species are quick to bite leaving anglers with a very mixed bag at the end of the day. We saw multiple 40+ inch Northern, many Perch, even a Lake Trout among an already strong Walleye bite. 22-24 ft on gravel bottom surrounded by mud has been our best spots. Be sure to charge up any Glow tackle in use, with the increasing snow cover, glow or lighted lures have been hot. Pink/white and gold are also very effective on sunny days.
      The Canadian bite just keeps getting better! Crappies can be found in 30 foot holes while 22-26 ft flats on break lines have been hot for a Sauger/Walleye mix.
      Remember to stick to well-traveled trails as most have not been staked/marked as of yet.
      Until next week!
      Sunset Lodge

• jtnjenn
      By jtnjenn
      What are ice depths in the metro right now?
    • Hatto018
      By Hatto018
      So the weeks betwixt point and click and smoke pole deer hunting always have my ire up to get that last Musky Missile into my hands.  Gotta scrub that slime into my glove until next year.  Going to give the Mississippi below Falls a try here in a few hours.   Might find it frozen, might find a spot to get in.   I'll bring my boat because I'm an optimist,  but I'll bet the kayak is where i end up.   
      Wish me luck, otherwise I have a scheme on my mind for my favorite frozen central mn musky lake. 

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• yoppdk
      These are definitely for laying back, not sitting up. I can honestly sit in these for hours ... but thanks for looking!  
    • Mike89
      love the chairs but for me I like a chair that sits up more!!  other wise I might have gotten 2!!!  nice work!!!!👍
    • Dusty
      Ash river ice went out yesterday, the lake is about 10 days after, so ice out should be before May 1st.
    • yoppdk
      If you are interested in a new Adirondack Chair, or set of chairs, and would like some built just for you now is a great time. These generally take less than a week to build, depending on quantity and the finish you choose.   These are hand-built using premium cedar lumber that will last for many years. You can choose to have it stained or leave unfinished. If unfinished it will have virtually no maintenance and will weather to a pleasing gray color. These are Xtra-Large heavy duty chairs using mostly 2 x 4, 2 x 6 and 2 x 8 lumber for frame pieces and 1 x 2 and 1 x 4 slats. They feature a double contour for maximum comfort - you can literally sit in these for hours and feel great. Perfect for the cabin, lakeshore, around the fire-pit or on your home deck.   Single chair - Unstained: $225 Siingle chair - Stained - $250 Two chairs - Unstained: $425 Two chairs - Stained: $450   Higher quantities are negotiable. PM me with questions or requests.   These are hand built and available for pick up in Grand Rapids, MN.
    • tbetts1000
      Nets are in
    • sweede
      Here is a link to the latest on The Wright County AIS program.  http://www.co.wright.mn.us/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=1057 It is dead for now. They may try to spin this in the future, so watch for other clever ways they will try to privatize the lakes.  See the full board discussion in the video replay, the boat inspection topic starts at 1:49:50 
    • sweede
      Here is a link to the latest on The Wright County AIS program.  http://www.co.wright.mn.us/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=1057 It is dead for now. They may try to spin this in the future, so watch for other clever ways they will try to privatize the lakes.  See the full board discussion in the video replay, the boat inspection topic starts at 1:49:50 
    • sweede
    • Fish Head
      I think we'll be safe for open water on the opener.  I'm hoping for open water the weekend before.  That will be a close call. Forecast looks good. 
    • Rick
      Men 20-60 years old least likely to wear life jacket, most likely to drown With waterways across the state clearing of ice, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources reminds anxious boaters that wearing a life jacket is a critical safety necessity during the spring “cold water” season.  While boaters should always wear a life jacket no matter the water temperature or season, public safety officials stress wearing a life jacket – not just having it on the boat – is the one action that significantly increases the chances of surviving a fall into cold water. “The shock of falling into cold water triggers your gasp reflex, which more than likely means inhaling water,” said Lisa Dugan, DNR boating safety representative. “Wearing a life jacket gives you a fighting chance to get your head above water, stay calm instead of panicking, and call for help before hypothermia sets in.” Though air temperatures continue to rise, water temperatures statewide are still dangerously cold – cold enough to cause the gasp reflex and incapacitate even strong swimmers in less than one minute. In Minnesota, more than 30 percent of boating fatalities occur on cold water, and accident records show the victims are disproportionately male. “Over the past decade, we’ve seen a steady and troubling trend that indicates men between the ages of 20 and 60 are the most likely to drown while boating, and are the least likely to be wearing a life jacket,” Dugan said. “Cold-water drowning victims in Minnesota are also much more likely to be anglers than any other type of recreational boater. Add this up, and it’s clear that if male anglers were to put their safety first and put on their life jackets, a significant percentage of boating deaths could easily be prevented.” More information is available at mndnr.gov/boatingsafety. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.