• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports

Northshore or west shore. 6 to 10 feet has been good. With this cold front that came in, the bite might slow down a bit.

Brian

Thanks for the response. was thinking of starting on the rocks and moving west.

Brian where do you launch your boat when you fish the north or west side. Looking for an access closer than eagles nest or birches.

Fishing Report for Area lakes in Northern Minnesota

The second weekend started off with a bang, on some area lakes, like Big Winnie, and Upper Red Lake. Big Winnie we found fish all along the north shore 7 to 10 foot range, perch our also showing up shallow in good numbers, Jig shiner, but rainbow chubs are a good second choice, which seems to be the best all around presentation, although leeches seem be a good third choice for walleyes. Took a trip up to upper Red Lake, which is the hot lake at this time, lot’s walleye in all sizes, 7 to 9 ft. around rocks seem to be the best spots, jig minnow is all you need. Leech Lake is also starting to turn on, the water temps are findly getting to the upper to mid 50's which we need, for the hot bite.

Have fun and be safe.

Area fishing guide Charlie Worrath, Full time fishing guide, Charlie Gone Fishing Guides services, member of the MN Fishing Pros

Those are probably your closest for landings.

I typically land at Mosmo, that way if it's too windy on Winnie, I can still fish Cutfoot and keep checking the conditions on the big lake.

Brian

Hey guys Its just about that time again. I leave with my boys and my dad on this Friday.

Any word on the mississippi river by the dam? how about little winni.

How about winni. I have NEVER fished winni but will be fishing out of a 1850 crestliner.

Thanks

Steve

Any info would be great. [email protected]

Thanks guys!

Would you guys know what the water temps are now in that area?

Thanks again.

I will post how i do.

God Bless

Steve

Just got home from Winnie. Left Friday morning. Weather kept us off the lake for most of Friday. Did well saturday morning 10 fish with 5 being keeprs in Cutfoot (bob's bay) 8 feet of water riging a fathead with a 7 foot snell. Saturday afternoon was just as good in the same area ended up with a our limit by 5 p.m. had to throw back quite a few overs. Went out to the big lake this morning and fished the Tamarack bay and High banks areas, caught 2 northers along high banks in 10 feet of water, no walleyes. In both areas there were many boats and saw only one or two fish caught all morning. We fished until 10:30.

Was out on the lake last fri-sun. Friday was not a very nice day but we managed to get 9 keepers had alot get off and a few throw backs, we jumped around alot trying to find a new area. Saturday was a crazy bite, we had 2 boats out and within an hour and a half we had 5 limits. Sunday me and buddy went back out and it was a very nice day but the bite was a little off. Started out at Tamarack and picked up 2 in the first half hour. Went to High Banks and picked up 5 more and by 12 things kinda shut off. Went up the north shore west of the dugouts and got 2 more keepers, then went up inside stony point and got our last 3. Had a nice fish fry for everyone and then bagged up the rest for friends and the grandparents.

Main depths were 5.5-7.5 fow expect on high banks I was fishing 9-9.5 fow. Blue/white, green and pink are what we used tipped with shiners. We were going a little faster then most. .7-1.0mph.

Heading down to ML this weekend but when I get back I hope to start doing a little hump fishing!

might see you out on mille sat and sun heafdin over my self

did ok last sunday

water should be a tick or so warmer by sat

Fishing Report for Northern Minnesota

Grand Rapids & Deer River area

Winter just doesn’t want to let go, keeping the water temps in the mid to high 50”s. For us jig fishermen that all fine and dandy as cooler water will prolong the jig & minnow bite but the water are slowly creeping upward despite the cool windy weather were having. Which will be turning on many of area lakes which haven’t been producing in the past couple weeks. Still look for most fish shallow, the walleye will still be chasing the shiner run, for a week or so, Bass still will be on deep break lines, till the water warms a little more to build there beds, crappies will be staging out in deeper water in front of there spawning area. Big Winnie still is the hot bite in the area, Leech Lake needs a few more warmer days, before it lights up. Jig tip with a shiner still preferred bait at this time, for just about all of area species.

Charlie Worrath, Full time area fishing guide, member of the www.fishingminnesota.com guides service

Coming up next Friday (6/10) do you think the walleyes will still be shallow or do you think they will be out on the humps? Usually when they move out further does the jig bite slow down? Wondering what everyone thinks?

I think it will still hold up on the jigs but they might start moving out nut you can still use jig and minnow just a little bigger jig

jason

Finally a little nice weather up here and the fish seem to love it. It has been a good bite the last few days around the area. Winnie has the shiners moving in more and more to the shallows. The lake is going well right now, with the fish in shallow from 6-0 ft of water. Where the wind is blowing into or adjacent is usually the best but when the fish are ready they seem to bite everywhere. From Ravens, stoney,rock pile to muskey bay,highbanks and the dishes its all good right now. 1/8 oz northland fireball or gumball have been working the best tipped with a shiner.

Other area lakes have been good also. Bowstring, Sand and Island lake have been the lakes we have been fishing. The fish on Bowstring have been going pretty steady lately. we have been getting them in shallow as well as deep. On the shoreline in 5-8 ft and on the main break in 12-19 ft a jiig and a shiner have been the best presentation has been the best so far.

get out there right now this bite will only last so long and things will start to change soon.

good luck fishing

Jason Boser

fishing fever guide service

fishingminnesota

218-999-5591

Northern Minnesota fishing report

The shallow water walleye bite 7 to 12 feet is still going strong on

area lakes, Big Winnie, Bowstring, Sand, & Big Island,They have all

been very good this past week. I expect it to continue through out the

next week or so. Jig and Shiner are still the preferred presentation.

Water temps are in the mid 60's which means the it's time for the pan

fish to spawn. look for crappies around pencil reeds and rocks. Tossing

spinner bait have been effective presentation. Bass action also has been

very good on area lakes.

Was out on the water the past 3 days for the MTT and it was a great bite all over the lake. Friday a buddy and I went out at 8am and started on a small hump that topped out at 11.5' and dropped to 15'. Picked up 2 keeper fish and moved on. Our next stop was on a big flat on the north end of the lake. With a good east wind we drifted along the break edge and in one pass picked up 5 keepers. Moved out onto some mid lake structure next and the 1st stop we got 1 or 2 fish each drift. Same thing on the next 2 we stopped at. By 11:30 we had our 12 and had kept nothing smaller then 14.75 but had 6 from 16.25 to just under 17.

Saturday fished the same areas but wasn't able to catch as many 16" fish. Threw alot back 14-15". Went to main lake bars and caught a few more but most were 20-25.5".

Sunday did it all over again with the same results but catching more fish over all then saturday. Probably caught around 25-30 fish with most being 14.25-15.75"

ALOT of fish over 26" were caught this weekend so that was cool to see just wish I could have got one haha. All in all it was a great weekend to be on Winnie.

We were rigging leeches and crawlers all weekend. Didnt seem to make much difference in color. Sat leeches were better and Sun is was 50-50.

Did well on Winnie the past 5 days. Sure was some windy days, so we went to a small lake nearby a couple times.

Caught 'eyes on Big Muskie, Big Bend, North Mud Hole Bar & the northern Humps. Caught on Leeches.

But, when we were fishing for Perch with worm pieces, we kept catching Walleyes too, so we threw 'em all back.

So, it's Leeches or worm halfs if you're looking for eyes. smile.

• 2 weeks later...

> Grand Rapids-Deer

> River Area Fishing Report

>

> The water temps in area lakes has finally reach the high sixties, which

> is putting this years May fly hatch in full swing. This mean to me that

> you want to switch over leech's and crawlers as your best baits for

> walleyes, look for walleyes around mud humps as they will be feeding on

> the May fly as they hatch, The key to fishing these fish is to fish

> these walleye as slow as possible, you can't fish to slow, for these

> well fed fish. Also the larger Northern pike will be found on these

> deeper mid lake structures. I like to jig these deeper pike, and you

> pick up some nice perch in the process. On Days when the wind is to

> strong to fish mid lake structure, the cabbage weed beds will always be

> holding a few fish of all species. I like to run spinners or jig these

> fish. When running spinners only use a 1/16 or 1/8 oz. bullet weights,

> you don't want the spinner to drag the bottom.

>

> Area Full Time Fishing Guide Charlie Worrath

Spent Friday afternoon to Sunday morning camping/fishing on Winnie/Cutfoot. Friday and Sturday were a little to windy to fish the big lake so we stayed on cutfoot. We caught 15 fish on cutfoot between the 2 days. We fished 2 main areas the west edge of the weed flat in Bob's bay and sealy point area. Using a rig with a leech and moving very slow. Sunday we went out on Winnie. I have NO idea where to even start but I have always done better when I get away from the crowds. We stayed on the north side of the lake on the sand hums/flats in 15-18 feet of water. We slammed 'em on Sunday morning on the first flat we went to. Couldn't go 5 min without one of catching one. We started fishing at 6:30 A.M. and by 9:30 we must have caught 30+ eyes, again using a 5 foot snell and 1/2 walking sinker moving very slow and just hitting the edges and then moving up top. We moved to a different flat for the afternoon just to see if they were all that way. We did good but not as well catching 10 eyes in about 2.5 hours. Either way, the fishing was great and we had a great time. Color did seem to make a difference. I used a pink hook and bead and that did better then a chartruse hook/bead. We did not try jigging because rigging was working so well.

ya the bite is on

the cool thing about winnie is the diversity we were on the humps yesterday catching fish in deeper water

and our nieghbors at the rv park smacked them on highbanks in 9 ft of water

i think thats says alot about how great winnie is !!!

just my thoughts

oh by the way

be sure to drain your live well and pull your plug at the landing

the wardens are laying in the weeds watching

got a warning yesterday leaving the hwy 46 landing

for not pulling the plug

he said the only water i clould leave the landing with was the aguafina in my hand !!!!!

Thanks for the awesome reports guys! I am heading up in about 45 min from the cities and staying for a week. I will keep you all updated!

gregg52 thanks for reminding folks to pull the plug, CO's are really enforcing that law this year. On top of pulling the plug be sure to trim your motors down and let them drain before leaving the landing, you would be surprised about the amount of water they hold. Also bait buckets and live wells need to be drained.

I was up at the lake fri-sun. My buddy and I didnt get out until 2pm fri and we just figured we would get out for a little bit. We fished a big flat on the north end that tops out at 19-20'. There was a good number of fish on the edges but also scattered on the top. By 4:00 we had 7 in the box and released 4 between 20-24". Saturday was a little windy so we didn't travel far and fished another big flat. Caught a lot more fish in the slot then friday. We were rigging both days, friday leeches seemed to catch more then crawlers but saturday was the opposite. Also on friday the crawlers caught all the bigger fish. Another thing I have been doing on these flats and bigger humps is pull boards and crawler harnesses. With the bug hatch there are alot of fish suspended. I was fishing 18-20' and was running my baits at 13-15'.

Grand Rapids – Deer River Area Fishing Report

The May Fly hatch of last week as come and gone, fishing walleyes has improved the last few day, Rigs tipped with crawlers, seems to work better over the leech, also ran spinners in shallower water on windy, cloudy days, it also work well, tip with a ½ crawler. Crank baits are staring to show signs of life. Running #5 shad raps. Perch are going pretty strong, look for them around 15 ft rock piles, jig minnow best presentation. Bass are also biting on the area bass lake. I like casting a jig and leech and pull down the drop.

Charlie Worrath, full time area fishing guide. wwwcharliesgonefishingguideservice.com

Spent a little time on the water over the weekend and man was it hot, the weather that is lol. Alright fishing was pretty good too. Saturday I went out around 10am by myself and started working a small hump on the nw end and there were fish there. Made a couple passes and had 2 hits but none in the boat. Decided to experiment with a bobber and it didnt take 2mins to get the first one on. Continued to move around and drop on top of them. In the next 2 hours I boated 12 fish with only 1 being a keeper. Most of them were 20-24" with a couple 18" fish. Went out that evening for a couple hours with my cousin and his wife. Picked up a few rigging and bobbering the humps and then we made one pass pulling boards on a flat for suspended fish and picked up one keeper.

Sunday was out again only for a few hours. Caught some more fish again on the flats and edges rigging. Caught a few more on the humps rigging and bobbers. We didnt care to keep any so we stayed on the bigger fish and had a blast!

Fished saturday and sunday and fishing very good but very hot! Caught limits of keeper fish both days. Started working humps on north end and found lots of perch and big fish started to move around and found lots of keepers on south end. The worm more than out did the leech this weekend, but a worm fan anyway. Don’t be afraid to move around and you will find the fish.

Well the fishing is good if you can hang in there with the heat. One day you are into eaters and the next big fish and you work for eaters. The same goes for bait choices rigging leeches works great then its rigging crawlers. Been working the edges of the humps and bars for the most part, yesterday spent some time pulling spiners thru the weeds and picked up a few. My fiance was even getting them on the humps with jigs and a leech or jigs and half a crawler, shes not a big fan of rigging but when the fish are holding tight to the bottom on hot calm days its a good option.

I've read that Winnie is a day bite lake. Is it a fairly steady bite during the day or does it peak at sunup and sundown like a typical lake? Also I don't read much about people slip bobbering on this lake. Is that affective on Winnie at all?

Thanks ~piker

I typically am an the lake pretty early and quite often the fish don't start in until 8 or 9am. I have had luck with slip bobbers on the top edge of the bars.

• The title was changed to Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports
  • The topic was unlocked