• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports

Hi everyone,

going to try out Winnie for the first time this weekend. How much snow did you get up there from this last storm? How is it going to affect off road travel pulling a large wheel house?

I'd say about 5". Most of it was that wet, heavy snow. We also got alot of rain. I'm thinking the lakes are gonna be slushy and you're gonna want to stick to a plowed resort road. Cross country travel on the lake might be tough!

Brian

Do you guys know how thick the ice is at lake Winnibigoshish? Do i need a auger extension? coming up this weekend and just want to be prepare. I have a strikemaster lazermag 8"

Wondering how the fishing is and where I should set up to catch some eyes and some jumbos, preferably eyes. I am a guide on Lake of the Woods, but visiting my fiance who goes to school in Bemidji. Fished Lake Bemidji past two days and about 100 perch, only a handful were keepers...no eyes. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

being your a guide i'm sure you have a chip

find one of those humps on the north end maybe one nobody has

been on or look at the hump on the chip if it has quick breaks

i've had good luck up there this time of yr but mostly after dark with the walleyes...you'll find northerns on those humps to

and of course perch.. hard to find thos nicer ones though just keep

movin on those humps there are lots of them go on at the birches

and head north towards what they call the perch bar

as get out there you'll see all the humps as far far as presentation i'm sure you have plenty i use blue and white alot

Thanks for all the info! I heard to go on the lake at Denny's Resort and head for the River bar and Long bar. So just keep moving around until you find the eyes? Thanks again!

that could be i dont fish that end alot

i'm just more familiar with that north end

HEY BMC

have you heard anything bout what they going to do with the regs on winnie

this slot was 10 yr program its up now

any news ??

Mid-lake humps in 20-25' of water, during early morning and lat afternoon/evening. Depending on how travel conditions are, try to find a hump that doesn't look like it's seen alot of activity. During the day time walleye slump, try from on top of a hump to the base of the humps, in the muck, for perch and an occassional bonus 'eye. Or hit Bena Bar and tip up fish for gators, smelt is my preferred bait.

Brian

Gregg,

Nothing yet.........I don't think too much will change. I would like to see a minimum on the slot for keeper 'eyes. 14-17 inch for keepers and one over 26". Even if they set the minimum at 13" would be OK.

Brian

ya i'd go with 13 i like those they eat good

i guess i wouldnt mind see keeping one over 17 maybe for a couple yrs(5) see how it goes i kinda think its gettin over run with those 18-23..24

ya i just looked at the dnr site thought bout that after i asked you

i see they have a news release page i spose they will put something there

if they do open it up for discussions

they put in at bowens when they are working out there i talked to him there kinda interesting and fun and i think he told me they would

My opinion is leave the slot where it is. We caught plenty of smaller ones we thew back and kept enough for a meal too. I think the current slot is working great.

Plus the perch fishing was good too!

Leave it where its at. If you have 3 people in the boat and everyone keeps a 22" that is not a good thing. That would be taking a big step backward.

I'm Sitting out on perch bar right now...(I think) in 20' nothin. But small perch so far. Gonna have to move in the morning.

well i'm not sure if believe this myself but its a thought

you are right there are lots of small fish

if theres an over abundance of bigger fish 18-26 do those smaller fish struggle in the food chain and then you have stunted population (this can also answer the question why its hard to find jumbos as perch are 70-80% of a walleyes diet)

the forage in the lake isnt aware of the slot

so does it produce more bait fish and forage

if you create a bigger appetite you need to create more food

its tuff when man stats to foooooooool with mother nature

balance!!!!!!!!!

The wife and I got back on Tuesday after a 4 day fish on Winnie. Great temperatures all 4 days but it was a BIT WINDY!! in the portable on Monday.

We were able to fill up on both Walleyes and Perch and this is the second year that we were able to keep Walleyes in the 15 to 16 inch range to fill our limit. Collectively we caught over 75 Walleyes in 3 days in 23 fow and most all were caught after 3:00 pm. The Perch came out of 32 to 36 fow and we kept none under 8 inches unless they were floaters and we had many, many fish in the 10 inch range. We caught only 2 fish over 12 inches the entire trip as we were unable to locate the school of jumbos. Most of the Perch were caught between 8:00 am and 11:00 am, and all the fish seemed to disappear during midday hours which gave us plenty of time for lunch and a little R & R.

Both species were caught on Forage Minnows or Pimples with either a full Crappie minnow or minnow head. It really didn’t seem to make much difference. Strangely both the Walleyes and Perch seemed reluctant to hit a plain minnow on a hook this year which was very unusual as it was always our go to rig.

Thanks to all the folks it the area for making us welcome and we look forward to heading up in March to chase the jumbos.

there is alot of snow on the ice i had a hard time getting out do my house with a 1500 HD with new tires if i was to got out and look for fish i would use a sled to move around! just my 2 cents

Blame all of the snow and travel conditions on my brother. He was hoping for snow so he can play with his Tacoma on the lake. Last year on lake of the woods I thought we were going to get stuck about 15 different times going thru 4ft drifts but nope he won that bet, that truck had no problems with that TRD package. Maybe its going to be his gas pedal that’s going to get stuck this year! If you see a couple guys stuck in silver Tacoma all I can tell you is Im not going to be the one shoveling and pushing. Good luck all will be on the lake from sat-tues.

Went to Winny yesterday for first time ever. Went out at Denny's and went about 6 miles and set up on a hump where it went from 36 up 24 FOW pretty quick, which is where we set up. Threw back a 21 and 19 in eye. Kept 4 walleyes between 14-16, threw 5 12-13in eyes back. Also caught many perch and kept three jumbos, 10-12in. So overall a pretty good day and didn't start fishing till 1pm. Caught 19in at 6pm then we packed it up.

Walleye, I may be going up next weekend in that same area, how is it for travel off roads. I will use the wheelhouse for a base and want to venture out with the truck.

The road was ok, for $10 not sure if it was worth that but I like to help out local small businesses. Made it back to Warroad safe and sound and had a client catch a 25in 8lber this morning at one of my houses so it's nice to be back where I'm familiar!! Thanks for all the tips when I was visiting down here.

well i'm not sure if believe this myself but its a thought

you are right there are lots of small fish

if theres an over abundance of bigger fish 18-26 do those smaller fish struggle in the food chain and then you have stunted population (this can also answer the question why its hard to find jumbos as perch are 70-80% of a walleyes diet)

the forage in the lake isnt aware of the slot

so does it produce more bait fish and forage

if you create a bigger appetite you need to create more food

its tuff when man stats to foooooooool with mother nature

balance!!!!!!!!!

Man is messing with mother nature and its balance the second man starts taking any fish from the lake. Slot limits give the lake some balance, they don't take balance away. Take man off the lake and its full of all these 18-26" fish that your speaking of, the lake isnt "vacant" of them like it was 12 years ago. This lake is not hurting because of the slot. The slot has helped the lake immensely. If anything is a problem its the lake being overrun with voracious 18" northerns.

Looking for any Coordinances on Winnie. I am going up for the first time with my 8 yr old daughter and want her to enjoy and catch a walleye. I know it's not normal to ask for coordinance or to give them, but I will exchance them for some hot spots in brainerd, gull lake if interested..... I just pulled in 2 walleyes over21 inches and 3 between 13-16 last Thursday from this spot. I will try to load a pic. My email [email protected].

Thanks in advance!!!

• The title was changed to Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports
  • The topic was unlocked