• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports

yep, the south end had a hell of a time last opener.

the whole north end was wide open and I think, weather permitting I'll try my hand out on the big water.

I'm kinda in between here. my big boat should have a four stroke kicker to help keep it in place, and my 16 footer is no fun when the waves are over 3 feet.

if it's decent out, I'll take the lund. hopefully the chop is slapping the shoreline from tamarac point, south.

that's a nice easy shelf to fish and the fishys really like being there.

maybe get lucky enough to snag about a miles worth of gill net at the same time?

Jigglestick IMO if that matters, the bigger the better. If you could weld an ice breaker on the bow and lead the way out, that would be great. laughlaughlaugh

I wish you all the luck on opener, and may ALL your snags come true.........

G.C.

Jigglestick IMO if that matters, the bigger the better. If you could weld an ice breaker on the bow and lead the way out, that would be great. laughlaughlaugh

I wish you all the luck on opener, and may ALL your snags come true.........

G.C.

Gary, or shall we call you Gary the mushroom, your a real fungi (fun-guy) get it laugh

I could just strap the V plow on there eh? grin

That will work sir, Anything to break up the ice. Rick might be able to use last years pre opening pics again this year. smilesmile

G.C.

The sun and the warm temps today should help some. I am planning on hitting a small lake for opener. Better chance of not needing an ice breaker.

That's right, someone had pictures of all the ice still out there last year. That would be too funny!

Highbanks web site still has those pics.

Lambjm, if I remember right, you had a few issues this winter on your "small lake". Hopefully no issues for opener.

G.C.

Hello Lambjm, Gary, and Jigglestick, has anyone heard what all of this wind is doing to our ice cube? If is not apparent, I am very excited to get my new rig out on the water. I am sorry, but I am having a heck of time staying at work for the next few weeks.

Thanks, Brent

Pro V good day to ya. I have heard that the ice is away from the shoreline, but not much black ice showing yet. A few cracks I also heard, so it is shifting around a little bit. One would think the wind would be doing some damage to the ice. If not the warmer temps later this week should help quite a bit, if it gets that far north. 18 days and counting.

G.C.

That is good to hear. Do you have a place in Deer River? Are you planning on going up for opener? Maybe a little HSO meeting for a burger/beverage? BTW I love that avatar!

No place in Deer River. We have a place right on the lake. So GDP or Highbanks would be the 2 places I frequent on opener.

G.C.

2090 Warrior. I have always had tillers, and I figured why switch now. This is of course the biggest tiller that I have had.

GEDC0033.jpg

GEDC0034.jpg

GEDC0035.jpg

GEDC0036.jpg

To say that I am a little excited would be putting it mildly!

My wife and I took a drive this morning up around the Winnie/Cutfoot area. We stopped at the dam and found 5 locks open and water going through full blast.

p1010126.jpg

On the lake side of the dam it looked pretty shallow with floating ice all the way out to Plughat Point where some ice was piled up high.

p1010127f.jpg

Next stop was the Bowens road, overlooking the flats and McAvity Bay. Both were ice free as far as I could see. It did look like some ice on the main lake down towards Highbanks and west and south of there.

p1010128.jpg

We then checked out the DNR walleye egg harvest going on at Little Cutfoot. I would guess they would be done in the next couple of days. Lots of nice fish in the nets and the workers were busy!

Bowstring also looked like it was wide open.

Brian

BMC

Ours paths must have passed yesterday i was up at the strippin from bout 9to noon went to gdp had bacon and eggs went back til bout 2 or so the went to open the RV at bowens

i wasnt sure if there was way down past highbanks ot not

bringing the boat up fri going to hang around most of the week i think check ut some crappies and beer at gdp lol

Thanks for the pics!!!

Makes me feel like I am there! I will be talking my son who is now 1o up there for his first time. I will have my dad and my son with my brothers what a great trip!!

This will be our 11th year in a row. we always bring our kayaks and fish the Mississippi river. Can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Where are all the reports? Would love to hear from all of you who were fortunate enough to make it to Winnie. I will be going up this week for 4 days. Any info. would be greatly appreciated!

Fishing was pretty good for the most part. We did very well earlier in the morning, before 9 then it started to slow down some. Not sure if it was the boats fishing on top of us or what. Started out fishing almost by ourselves away from the groups of boats, but within a few fish being caught we were surrounded by other boats. Fishing most of the west side of the lake and were able to find fish in most places we tried. The weather wasn't as bad as first thought it was going to be, but sunday was a beautiful day, just not for fishing. Still managed to pick up a couple limits though even without any wind at all. All and all a good weekend. Drove away on Sunday afternoon with our limits and a full stomach from our first walleye fish fry of the new season.

Thanks for the reponse. Jigs and Shines? Were they in the normal 7-10 ft. range. Were there plenty of shiners or were they hard to get?

Fishing was excelent. We limited out both days with 3 of us in the boat. Fish were a little deeper than normal for this time of the year. We caught our eater fish in 13-16 Fow. most of our bigger fish came in 13 or less. Good luck.

I noticed that too. I did not make winni this weekend, but hit Red(awesome) then Bemidji yesterday. My fish came from 10-13 on Bemidji.

Yeah I agree with the eaters being out a bit deeper. We did have some good luck even shallower. We caught a lot of fish in 6 fow and even a nice 26" in 5.5 fow. We used jigs and shiners the whole weekend. We got ours in Grand Rapids on the way up and they had plenty of them. I called up to Fred's in Deer River where we usually get our bait and she wasn't sure if they would have them when I came through around 4. So it seems like most places had shiners, but I heard most of them are from Mille Lacs.

Finally getting a chance to report from last weekend...we fished mostly the north shore from Raven's point all the way over to Cut Foot on Saturday. We ended up with 21 walleyes, 7 keepers. Nothing was real consistent, but we had 3-4 fish in each spot we stopped. On Sunday we were in front of High Banks and had about 15 walleyes in 13-17 ftw. It was a blast. Largest was 25". Another great opener on a great lake. Great hosts at Bowen's Lodge.

My friend and I launched out of the east side on Saturday. I think we were the only morons on the lake. Not to bad once we got out to 20 ft of water, if I would have taken some dramamine. My partner got sick and I was right behind him. We fished for about 2 hours (5-7) pm and caught 3 walleyes. 26.5, 14, 16.5. Would liked to have stayed out longer, but our stomachs could not handle it.

• The title was changed to Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports
  • The topic was unlocked