• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports

Anyone check out the PA over by Sugar lake? Is there a ridge that prevents trucks or cars from getting on? Thanks

So what do people consider "Jumbo" Perch. LOL I dont keep anything under 10in. I have to laugh at the people that "Got their Limit" and you look at the pic & they are all 6" long.

I agree. You had to sort through them but most perch kept were right about 10" - some bigger some smaller. "You eat what you like and I'll eat what I like" Yukon Cornelius

i've heard of guys getting crappies by 3rd, just realized they've started seeing a bunch of bass lately too. havent heard of gills yet on the big lake!

crappies on the big lake or cutfoot??/

They are getting crappie in cut foot but there are also areas to get them on the big lake grin

Friday we set up the portable spear house and from 9:30-12 we saw 8 with the biggest being 8lbs. Also had one flag but never got it. That afternoon we got back in the house at 2 and saw one right away then the flags started popping. We had 7 flags and caught 6. Ended up seeing 5 more in the house with one being close to 10lbs, but it grabbed the sucker and let go before I could get it back in the hole.

Saturday went back out and in the first hour we had 4 in the hole and 6 flags. We had 2 big pike on that I would say were all of 15lbs as they broke 20lb tip up line frown. That evening only seen a couple in the house but the tips ups were going like crazy! Biggest we landed was 7-8lbs.

Sunday was crazy with the wind and after sitting in the cabin all day against my better judgement we went out to the humps after some eyes. We barely made it out there with the head wind on the wheeler and pulling a trailer. Needed some chains!! We only lasted an hour but landed 3 keepers. Had a lot of lookers. Looks to be nice weather this weekend, plan to tip up in the morning and go after eyes in the afternoon.

is it safe for truck traffic yet? i heard rumors of areas with 6" of ice

My buddy went out of highbanks on friday with his 14' ice castle and atv. That evening they let him drive his truck out to his house. They have been running their plow truck out there now.

I haven't heard of areas with 6" but if I had to guess where it would be on the west side of the lake.

15-16" of ice confirmed this morning with numerous measurements out 3 1/2 miles NW of High Banks! perch have been active and consistant through out the day; with walleyes and pike coming through in 10-14 FOW dropping off the first break line. Look for structure to find active walleyes. Guide service and day house rentals available! Wheel houses welcome with discounted weekend lake access passes. Restaurant and cocktails at the lodge! Fatheads available for bait! Now renting Vexilar FL8, FL18 and the new Vexilar FL22/camera Combo packs! High Banks is where it is at! Call today 800-365-2560 www.highbanks.com

full-1903-15933-icedepth011.jpg

Thanks for the updates Kim. We have a sleeper reserved starting the 15th of this month. Can't wait to get up and see you guys again. Let rick know the boys from central WI. will be bringing some Point beer up with us for him! You guys treated us great when we stopped last year just to check out your place.

How's the walleye bite shaping up to be? After hearing only marginal reports on red thinking this might be a better option for taking the sleeper house.

Goose and I only caught one walleye tonight. a big fat 24 incher, but we marked a boat load of lookers. I thought things would be popping again tonight but was disapointed. then I got to thw landing and talked to a friend who got 10 between he and his wife. I won't mention that she caught most of them. so, things are looking good! I can hardly wait to fish tomorrow!

I spent the day out there Saturday. Two of us were set up before light. Caught the first eye within two jigs. Figured game on. Not so much. Landed four more then it was lookers until 3:30. We finished the day with 15 eyes 3 perch and 8 pout. 8 of the eyes were keepers one was too big and the rest were 12" or under. Not a bad day.

Thanks for not shaming me anymore than she already has Dave!! LOL

Our bite was between 5:20 and 6:00. I was using a rattling flyer spoon w/ a minnow head and my wife was bobber fishing a glow demon jig w/ a frozen Lake of the Woods shiner minnow.

I'd bring 'em in and she'd catch 'em. It's all about team work right? LOL

We had 1 19", 3 keepers in the 14-16.75" range, 6 10-12". Looks like a good year class coming up w/ all those small fish.

Only caught a half dozen or so perch that were small.

We set up on top of the hump in 22' of water. We marked fish in all of the holes (dozen), alot of bait and small perch I'm assuming.

I didn't see any other sign of people fishing this spot, so I'm sure that helped.

We tried to access at the Birches Public Access, but a huge crack opened right at the bottom of the ramp. Absolutely NO WAY to drive a 4x4 or even an ATV threw that mess. A guy did go out w/ his snowmobile, but I wonder if he got back in w/o any hassles?

We went to Highbanks and accessed the lake from there.

Brian

heres a question for you BMC

if you were using something else rather than what you were using

do you think you would of caught those fish????

My point being you were on them on the right time obisiously when you get a bite that quick in hat short of time

whata think????

just a thought

i do think being out away from traffic is a big factor and specially if theres sign of any one else being there

Good question Greg.

She outfished me 7 to 3 and I caught the 19"er.

I really believe in "calling" them in, especially after dark. Anything with a rattle will do the job. When Mr. Walleye comes in, he has 2 different presentations to inspect.

If the fish are aggressive, the rattle spoon/minnow head will outfish the bobber/minnow combo. If the fish are in the so/so or negative mood, they'll typically hit the bobber/minnow combo.

I was suprised at how well the frozen shiners from Lake of the Woods worked on my wife's bobber set up. Just goes to show the minnow on the bobber rod doesn't always have to be alive to get bit.

Brian

Our access is once again open! With help from our great customers who stayed in the loft, we were able to build a ramp and permit vehicle traffic with wheelhouses over a formed crack just in front of our landing; thanks again for the help! Ice conditions have held consistent on the main lake with 16” of ice 3 ½ miles NW out of Highbanks Resort. We are still seeing good numbers of perch caught on the first break line in 15-17 FOW, with slot walleyes and some nice keeping fish and the occasional trophy pike. Quite a few groups have also iced and released 26” plus walleyes. Please call for current ice reports (800) 365-2560.

WE NEVER MOVED OFF THE TOP OF THE HUMP, WE WERE IN 22 FT. WE HAD ACTION ALL DAY BUT IT WAS SLOW. THE LAST POUT MADE AN ABSOLUTE MESS OF ALL FOUR LINE FOR 20 MINUTES DURING THE PEAK TIME

ya that is why its called fishing I guess..lol

I wouldnt have much confidence in frozen bait for walleyes at all

I got some smelt at freds the last time i was up there and tried it for northens but couldnt get a bite on it...now i dont know if i used it right or not but we did get some northens on live sucker just hanging on a plain hook

so its always interesting to hear things like that

are these LOW frozen shiners kinda something new???

Hey Jiggle Stick, Coming up saturday mid day through mid day monday. For a small fee would you point us in the right direction when we get up there?? Going out of highbanks and would like to fish an area without alot of traffic but with "Known safe ice" We have a wheel house and would like to catch some perch and eyes.

I think you helped me out with a broken spring on my wheel house 2 years ago.

How are the Eyes and perch hitting out there? FOW? Lures used? We ll be at highbanks on the first weekend of feb and we plan to catch fish, how bout pike to?

How are the Eyes and perch hitting out there? FOW? Lures used? We ll be at highbanks on the first weekend of feb and we plan to catch fish, how bout pike to?

I think everybdoy PLANS on catching fish

But problem is.. nobody tells the fish the PLAN....lol

We just got back from our first trip up there. Perch were not hard to find! Decent size were though. We tried what we thought were good walleye spots bit all we got were perch and a few tullies. Keep in mind I only drilled 8 holes all weekend and had plenty of action to keep the wife entertained. Drop a jig to the bottom before you call a hole dead. We fished 12' the first day, lots of action, smaller fish. Fished 20' the second day, lots of action, better size. Second day was well away from crowds which may have been the reason for the bigger fish.

Thanks for the report gixxer, Can I ask you a couple questions? Were on the lake were you, south,east ect.? What resort did you access the lake from?

I am heading up in the morning and am trying to get as much info I can before hand. At this point I will be going with Highbanks but not for sure. That is why I ask were you were at. Thanks and glad you caught fish. smile

• The title was changed to Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports
  • The topic was unlocked