• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

Rick

Rymann last Sunday we marked a lot of perch out of Lybacks lot of them took the bait too. Noticed between 3 houses, 2 of us sat where there was a lot of slush under the ice and the other house that did a lot of hole hopping to not have slush under him only caught one.

Thanks Crappie...I will have to give it a try next week sometime. Probably going to head out Monday or Wed, but forsure Sunday...Cant wait to get out there again!!!

Got out to Sloppy Joes late Tuesday night and stayed there until mid-morning on Wednesday bringing nothing through the holes. Decided to move out further and headed out to 4.5 mile and setup for the night and had the same luck. Decided to move back to Sloppies today and still have not caught anything. We tried nearly everything in the tackle box.

We are marking fish pretty consistently, but nothing seems to bite.

We r by hawkbill point. No action in 16hrs except a 42" pike, any sUggestions for different location onm macs road syustem? Currently in 16fow

GOT UP TO 9 MILE ABOUT 4PM WED. 27'. NOT A SINGLE RATTLE UNTIL 9 AM THURS. THEN I ONLY MANAGED 2 CIGARS. TRIED THE DEEP EDGE THURS AM WITH NO BITES. A FEW LOOKERS. STARTED TO RAIN PRETTY GOOD SO HEADED FOR HOME. SOUNDS LIKE THE FISH HAVE NOT REALLY COOPERATED SINCE CHRISTMAS. BETTER BITE WILL COME EVENTUALY.

Fiasco - Head out deeper, and get on a few breaks or transitions...There are fish to be had, but it will take some work!!! Seems like it is a hard bite lately, with the exception of a few people who seem to be doing pretty good. My best advice is to stay mobile, and jig like crazy! Every fish I have caught has come off the bottom about a foot and went back down. I drop the spoon back down to bottom and jig like crazy. Then lift it about a foot and just hold it. I usually would get the fish to come look, but then I would have to lift ever so slowly to get him to bite. Buckshot spoons and pimples for spoons.

Next time you see mille lacs go another 4 hrs and go to lake of the woods way easier too catch walleyes there laugh

went out to the mud yesterday and got a couple keepers 14" and 16.5" as well as a 9" from about 3:45 to 4:45. tried 4 mile earlier with one jumbo and 2 medium perch around 11am. Had some lookers/no takers during the walleye bite on the mud and missed one that caught me by surprise. 1/8th oz rainbow buckshot has been my goto spoon in three trips. some with whole minnow but head only yesterday.

happy new year.

We were at Appeldoorns on 12/28 and 12/29 in one of their houses and did alright. We brought home 24 perch that were between 10 to 13" with most in the 11" range. The only walleyes we caught were 2 that were 7" long, the walleyes seemed to be elsewhere. We were in 20' on 2 mile gravel, had 3 young ones with so we didn't go out looking for the walleyes like we normally do, just sat in the nice comfy house. The perch came through in waves with a half hour or more between schools. Used a combination of spoons and minnow heads and set lines, both worked well. If you are able to just keep mobile and you should do well.

Was out on the West Gravel Bar and fished the top edge of a break. Had a bunch of lookers but nothing was committing to deadstick, jigging rap, spoons, tipped with minnow head, waxies, or euro larva. Figured the weather changing so much had something to do with the negativity, So instead of moving locations to find more willing fish, I went to plan "Z".

Plan "Z" = tipping jigging spoon with atlas mikes salmon eggs. Fish liked it, although biting very light, and ended the afternoon with 3 - 16-17 inchers, 22", 24", 27" and had another piggy break off at the hole.

And a shout out to Paul and his crew at Appledorns for helping me out of a sticky situation due to one of my bonehead moves!!

Wes

AKA korn_fish

Korn Fish Paul is the man isnt he? Always willing to help a guy out and great with info. Matter of fact I may have to call him and see if its worth coming down for a day.

Was out on the West Gravel Bar and fished the top edge of a break. Had a bunch of lookers but nothing was committing to deadstick, jigging rap, spoons, tipped with minnow head, waxies, or euro larva. Figured the weather changing so much had something to do with the negativity, So instead of moving locations to find more willing fish, I went to plan "Z".

Plan "Z" = tipping jigging spoon with atlas mikes salmon eggs. Fish liked it, although biting very light, and ended the afternoon with 3 - 16-17 inchers, 22", 24", 27" and had another piggy break off at the hole.

And a shout out to Paul and his crew at Appledorns for helping me out of a sticky situation due to one of my bonehead moves!!

Wes

AKA korn_fish

You went fishing after that? I woulda had to go home and clean my shorts... Glad your ok, coulda been worse. Great to know there is people like Paul willing to help out when something goes wrong out there...

You went fishing after that? I woulda had to go home and clean my shorts... Glad your ok, coulda been worse. Great to know there is people like Paul willing to help out when something goes wrong out there...

We had great day on the ice . Went on westside of the lake off the public access. I have never caught that many walleyes in a day. It was great day.

Fishing over the last week has been up and down. I have had my best luck this week fishing the deep transition areas off the bigger gravel bars. Catching allot of perch and nice ones for the fry pan in that 9-12 inch range. Also getting many walleyes but generally in the low light periods. However, yesterday we had a good run on walleyes around 10am. I have been sticking to the same pattern most of the week. 1st I would get away from the crowds and fish those areas of soft bottom tranistion off the hard bottom of the gravel. This transition area seems to hold the most perch and a few daytime walleyes. 2nd thing I would do is move up on top of the structure during prime morning and evening bites. 3rd use natural bait colors. Perch colored baits were by far the best baits for me this week. I would run two lines. One on a bobber with a perch colored 1/4 moon shaped jig with a minnow and the 2nd line I was using a 1/4 oz perch colored lindy slick jig. The slick jig would bring fish in and the agrresive fish would hit and the not so aggresive fish would look and leave or look and then decide to take the easy meal on the bobber line. I would say the bite right now is about what you would expect for this time of year. Good with a couple of days of stable weather and slow when the storms and pressure changes come through

fished shermans flat sat. night til sunday afternoon. kept 4 walters and 8 perch between 4 of us. nothing on the rattle reels at night. marked quite a few fish sunday late morning and early afternoon, but couldn't get them to commit. a big THANK YOU to the dudes that borrowed me a torch when i got out to the fatherinlaws house to thaw the lock. it was much appreciated as it was very cold and windy when we arrived.

Fishing over the last week has been up and down. I have had my best luck this week fishing the deep transition areas off the bigger gravel bars. Catching allot of perch and nice ones for the fry pan in that 9-12 inch range. Also getting many walleyes but generally in the low light periods. However, yesterday we had a good run on walleyes around 10am. I have been sticking to the same pattern most of the week. 1st I would get away from the crowds and fish those areas of soft bottom tranistion off the hard bottom of the gravel. This transition area seems to hold the most perch and a few daytime walleyes. 2nd thing I would do is move up on top of the structure during prime morning and evening bites. 3rd use natural bait colors. Perch colored baits were by far the best baits for me this week. I would run two lines. One on a bobber with a perch colored 1/4 moon shaped jig with a minnow and the 2nd line I was using a 1/4 oz perch colored lindy slick jig. The slick jig would bring fish in and the agrresive fish would hit and the not so aggresive fish would look and leave or look and then decide to take the easy meal on the bobber line. I would say the bite right now is about what you would expect for this time of year. Good with a couple of days of stable weather and slow when the storms and pressure changes come through

Thanks for the update Pat. Sounds like that time of year when no frills and standard is best. Also sounded as the cold front came through and shut everything down for Saturday and Sunday. I would have to guess as the week furthers and the weather getting milder again the bite will be back on. Had a couple buddies fishing the wave the last couple weeks and putting up some good numbers in both perch and walleye categories.

fished shermans flat sat. night til sunday afternoon. kept 4 walters and 8 perch between 4 of us. nothing on the rattle reels at night. marked quite a few fish sunday late morning and early afternoon, but couldn't get them to commit. a big THANK YOU to the dudes that borrowed me a torch when i got out to the fatherinlaws house to thaw the lock. it was much appreciated as it was very cold and windy when we arrived.

Yep it seems the fish right after dark are not being had this year. You always could bet on a good bite about an hour after sunset and up to 8-9pm for walleyes. Perch always have shut down right before sunset.

I have actually been hearing the 3-5 am bite has been pretty good for larger and eaters walleyes. Most days I guess this is the brunt if not all the walleyes being caught. Obviously a rattle reel and minnow of your choice with any jig seem to be best. grin

Fished the south side off a rock reef Sunday from 11 AM to 5 PM. Before heading out, I talked to a few folks who said the fishing was super slow since the cold front moved in. Considering the grim forecast, I did OK. Ended up with 18 perch (10 keepers) and 1 eater walleye.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Was out on sunday with my old man again we got 2keeper eyes and 2 keeper perch. Lots of small walleyes and perch we were in 19-23 feet of water.

Yep it seems the fish right after dark are not being had this year. You always could bet on a good bite about an hour after sunset and up to 8-9pm for walleyes. Perch always have shut down right before sunset.

I have actually been hearing the 3-5 am bite has been pretty good for larger and eaters walleyes. Most days I guess this is the brunt if not all the walleyes being caught. Obviously a rattle reel and minnow of your choice with any jig seem to be best. grin

I had good success on eyes Friday through today, with Friday and Saturday being the hottest. I'm fishing in 27 feet on a transition edge of a gravel bar and the bite seemed to be around 9-11 AM, and then 2-3 PM. Nothing at night.

Best bait was a perch jigging shad with a fathead head on the bottom red treble. A couple on rattles, but most of my fish came off jigging.

Would you mind saying on what?

Never caught a walleye before (or tried) but Im heading up wednesday.

Rattlin Flyer with minnow head.

• The title was changed to 2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports