• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

TURKEY CONTEST "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

HSO Turkey Contest - Sign-up by April 1st. - Click Here.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please...IF YOU WANT MORE LIKE IT HERE..'

Have Fun!!!

Rick

2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

Sifty

Nice looking fish.

Sifty

Bartz

Heading to Appeldoorn's on Friday. How did everyone do out in the SE corner this last weekend?

walleye-

Was up there from thur. night through sun. morning with the wheelhouse fishing the flats. Seen alot of walleyes on the camera every day. We ended up catching 13 walleyes and some jumbos. Biggest walleyes were around 17 inches and had a few that were only 8-10 inches one perch was 13" and a few around 10". As for atv travel we had no problems out on thje flats getting around pulling the fish traps. Was even able to get the wheelhouse well off the road with the truck. But closer to shore it did get deeper and don't think we could have done it. All and all not to bad but wish a few more would have bit at times we would have 3 or 4 walleyes on the cam at the same time but they would just swim by. Oh yeah and it was cooold out.

broman

Fishing was slow for us on Sunday. One small walleye, put back. And a few tulibee. Went out of Hunters on the last 4 flats. Nobody else out there. Pretty much has the place to ourselves.

Bartz

Thanks for the report Walleye. What were the walleye's hitting on?

walleye-

Bartz,

caught most of the fish with a small red/glow forage minnow tipped with a minnow head. We tried everything that we had and that was the best. A few came off of a fathead on the rattle reel.

Bartz

Thanks for the info Walleye. I appreciate any and all tips I can get before a trip up to the big pond. My buddy from Phoenix is coming up for his first trip on the ice and I'd like to see him occupied catching fish rather than him being distracted by the cold. Should be fun no matter how the fish are biting though.

buckpredator

I was also up there on thursday and couldn't believe the amount of tulibee that we caught, some very nice ones too. They should taste good once they are smoked. They are sitting in a brine right now. oh, we also caught a few jumbos and many small walleyes in that 8-10 inch range that has been so popular this year.

fishkaholic

was up there yesterday, all day. manage only 4 eyes,1 jumbo, and a bunch of tullibees. The bite is slow. work the flats and deep edge all day. wish others had more luck than us. was fishing from 22-34 fow. buckshot is the way to go with minnow.

fish with teeth

was up wed thru fri (1-28 to 1-30) out of barnicles with the wheel house. we went to barnicles flat set up and 10 min in i had my first eater (16 1/2 inch). we ended up with 7 walleye (26 1/2, 26 1/4, 21, 21, 20, 17 1/2, and 16 1/2) 2 small perch and 3 ciscos. one of the 21 inchers was on a jigging spoon. the rest were on rattle wheels with red hook and shiner or rainbow. we were jigging alot and the sniffers would show up have a sniff and leave. we marked alot of fish with the vexilar and aqua-vu. had a good time, roads were nice but bumpy. good luck and have fun

tweedlap

Saturday Report.

10 hours of tough fishing. Fished a couple of small flats. 23' to 31'. 1 24" walleye and two 7" mini eyes.

Also, tried the shoreline break in front of Barney's. Zip O.

No perch and no tullies. Beautiful day !

tweed

Ken2

Fished the south west side of the lake today. Started out in 30'around 1:00pm. Marked a lot of fish but only brought in two medium perch. We were planning on moving in to a shallower spot before sunset but the wind was so strong thet we did not think trying to move our portable was a good idea. Fished that spot until 7:00 but no additional fish. The wind must have been gusting to over 30 mph. We had all we could do to hold the house together at times.

maros91

Fished the mud out of Hunter's yesterday. Pretty much slow all day with a Tuli and a couple small walleye (10"). Seemed like when the wind picked up the fishing picked up. From 4 till 5 we caught about 10 walleyes but all of them were small except for one (14"), which went back down the hole. Seemed like a hurricane came through out there in the afternoon. Orange swedish pimples were the lure of choice for us.

BSG

Stayed in a sleeper this weekend out of Appledorns. Best shape sleeper houses I have ever seen. Inside the house, 2 - 10.5" perch and 3 small eelpout. Saturday we ventured out on the sleds to be mobile. 4 walleyes. 1 keeper 17.5 incher and the rest were from 10-12 inches. Great houses, not so good fishing.

MNHuntress

Was in a sleeper on Sat. out of Dickie's, alot of small walleyes on spoons and minnows, 24 FOW. During the day went out of Fisherman's Wharf in 30 FOW and had perch from about 2 on until I couldn't hold the portable down anymore. Clown and Red Glo buckshot spoons tipped with waxies were the trick. I talked to a lady at the bar that has had a house at the Wharf for many years and they just moved their house to 34 FOW and she had an excellent perch bite all day and she said it was the best bite she's had in years

bwally

Sat. and Sunday.

Fished a sand to silt area. Using a camera was key on this trip. green or orange buckshots worked great. Something heavy enough to stir up the silt. We would pound the bottom and 5-10 small perch would show up. Then all of a sudden they would scatter. The jumbos would come in like rockets. I had my fiance with me and she thought this was really cool. She caught a couple that were just hogs.

Kiko

BWally - how deep were you fishing? Mud or gravel? how many waxys did you gob onto the trebble hook? All perch or did u get some walters?

27' on gravel was slow for me this wkd

Kiko

Is anyone driving 4 wheel drive pickups off road around the northwest mud flats?

bwally

Yeah, a big gob. I pretty much filled it up so no hooks were showing. fished 26-30. Did catch a 10 inch walleye on a sucker minnow that wasn't much smaller. We fished a sand to silt area. Perch were throwing up all sorts of big insect larva.

JASONY

Fished the mud last weekend fri.,sat. and sun. We caught 20 walleyes with 13 being keepers. Only one that was about 10" and rest being 18"-26". Fished in 25 fow morn and eve. Didnt fish at all midday. Key I think is to get away from crowds. We had sleds but did see some guys running around on wheelers.

BigWhopper

JASONY, Thanks for the rpt. Did you catch any between 6PM-5AM?-or were you not sleeping on the ice? If you don't mind letting me live vicariously thru you till I get up to the pond - What lures/presentations were working? Possible to drive 4x4 pickup around? When you say 25' - that must mean the top EDGE of a flat?? Thanks bud.

JASONY

We stayed on a different flat without any action overnight. So we fished about 7am to about 11am, then from 330pm to 6pm. Got all but a couple on jigging spoons and minnow head. Also got some on jigging raps and head. I dont think a pickup is the best option to get off road. You can obviously get to spots by the road, but like i said before is I think the key is to get away to unpressured fish. We were basically towards the top edge. I think the it tops out at about 23-24 fow. Good Luck if you head up. Going again friday. Hope they still bite!

little chief

im lookin to head up sat. morning where is the best place to get on the lake? i dont mind payin fees but would like to get on some roads that go all over if there are any? im just lookin for a good starting point!

bearslayer

Thanks for the good report. I'm heading up tomorrow night for a long weekend. Hope to have at least a little luck. Sounds like it's supposed to be nice.

Cecil

We went out of Hunters and you can get to most flats from there. They have roads to about a dozen different ones.

little chief

was lookin for anything thing on the west side. thanks though

gregg52

ya i posted a deal bout cash's wonderin if you could get from there but havnt had no replys

Norsky

I fished the northwest mud flats last weekend and did pretty well on eyes and perch. We were out way past where the plowed roads end, on a sled. I was a little worried going out that far with 2 of us on one sled pulling my portable. The fishing was worth it, but it would have been a heck of a long walk back if something were to break down. I'm heading back up on Friday morning and will be heading out on the lake by noon or so Friday. I'd be more than willing to share the location if anyone would want to caravan out onto the lake from the landing in Garrison or out of one of the resorts if preferred. The weather is supposed to be great. Correction, I'll be working until 3 on Friday and then heading up for the weekend.

gregg52

think you could get a wheel house out there ??

Norsky

Nope. There's way too much snow, only way would be to plow a road, which in itself would be tough to do that far out. It's going to be fairly warm, fishing outside of the fish house will be very possible, keep the wheel house at the end of the plowed road from Terry's and head out farther with wheelers and sleds ??? I do have an extra suitcase style portable.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• IceHawk
      By IceHawk
      Fished a few spots on the Horseshoe  chain this afternoon pretty slow yet surface  water temps were around 35 degrees.  Water levels are up and plenty of bottom content floating in some of the channels and bays. Felt great to get back on some open water and use the long Rods again. 👍Plenty of boats out there running around. 
    • IceHawk
      By IceHawk
      Really cant wait for some of these Regulations to be put into Place on Some  lakes. Way overdue IMO. Please when these meetings are formed lets all try and make it to some and give some honest quality input. Even if you are against some of the New regulation limit changes  being talked about. We all need to come together and figure out someway to protect our Trophy Panfish. So all of us and future generations can enjoy the future! 

• Mark Jurgensen
      By Mark Jurgensen
      Need to get out for a while.  Any fishing being done on Cedar Lake in New Prague.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      Perhaps we should call this the COVID - 19 fishing report.  As you can imagine, some really cool annual traditions with Mother Nature are happening right now around Lake of the Woods.
      With the current times, other than some local anglers fishing in their own backyard where they have private access, things are pretty quiet.  Let's get through this chapter and look ahead as the walleyes are definitely waiting, willing and able!
      As many of you have read, in response to the COVID - 19 situation, the City of Baudette has closed it's two public access points on the Rainy River, Koochiching County has closed their four access points to the Rainy River and Lake of the Woods County has also temporarily closed their access points.  These closures are temporary in nature and are being reviewed often.  Kooch County will review again April 14th which is the last day of the walleye season on LOW and the Rainy River. 
      We want to express our sincere appreciation and thanks for all who come up to the Lake of the Woods area throughout the year.  Our community and small businesses are very tourism focused and dependent.  This is a tough time for many for a variety of reasons.  We look forward to getting this chapter behind us and creating wonderful memories with you again in the near future.  Be safe and thank you.
      On the south end...  Ice conditions this March have held very well.  As mentioned, low amount of traffic due to the times.  Anglers out have been catching big pike as is traditional this time of year as well as walleyes and saugers.
      On the Rainy River...   The Rainy River is starting to open with a few local anglers with private access getting on the open water.  As you can imagine, some big walleyes in the river.  The spring walleye season goes through April 14th and will not be available to most this year.  Looking forward to sturgeon season and the MN fishing opener May 9th!
      Up at the NW Angle...  A few locals still ice fishing.  Walleyes, saugers, jumbo perch and an occasional pike or eelpout in the mix.  Looking forward to open water.  

• CaptJohnWis
      By CaptJohnWis
      I heard from a buddy that there will be no fishing allowed on the river this spring. Any truth to that? I think it is a good idea otherwise there will be people coming up in droves as usual. Stay in your house and say some prayers.

I am stuck in my house down here in Texas and hope to eventually get back up North. Canada border closed so I couldn't hit my favorite spots on Rainy Lake anyway.
    • BDR
      By BDR
      Today on West Rush, in a smaller bay. I Stepped on a unseen drain hole or enlarged old fishing hole today. 1 leg went all the way thru. Luckily other leg and i stayed on top. I was traveling where I knew it was only 4-5 feet deep. All ice I drilled was 13-16 inches but soft. Hot shower and clean undies never felt so good. lol.  Be safe everyone!
    • eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      First pic is from April 1 2017 in the kayak. Second pic is April 21 2018 on 18 inches of ice. Same lake. Looks like 2020 will be like 2017. 

• mrpike1973
      By mrpike1973
    • Decanno1
      By Decanno1
      So me and a buddy of mine are thinking about stocking a gravel pit we own with suckers. Mainly white suckers but we’ll happily go with other species!! My question is this: Do sucker eggs NEED a constant flow of water to hatch? Or will they be fine in a gravel pit or any lake/pond that doesn’t have any flow coming in or out? This will make or break our plans for the pit, thanks in advance!!!
    • mrpike1973
      By mrpike1973
      I checked it on Sunday about 25 feet of ice by landing. If anyone drives by could you let me know when the landing is open. Might go here first if possible sometimes the crappies and sunfish will be in the bay there. I could use some yummy fillets. Thank You!
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• whateverisbiting
      I am not a politician or health care authority, just a lowly scientist/fisherman.   Social distancing is effective and needs to consider all routes of transmission, which includes both washing your hands / not touching your face and not breathing the air of an infected person.  Every time an infected person breathes they aerosolize the virus.  Washing your hands will not help if you are in the same room for a long time breathing the same air as someone who is infected.  In fact, viruses are fragile and do not live on surfaces very long.  The data you see that viruses are viable for days to weeks on surfaces are ideal conditions that lead to prolonged stability of the virus.  Similarly, wearing a mask is not going to help if you are touching a recently contaminated surface then touching an entry point into your body.   Something else to ponder (OK this is maybe not scientific but seems plausible)...part of how you react to this virus is likely dependent on how often you have been exposed to similar viruses, because then you would have partial immunity and symptoms would be mild.  If you are a germaphobe and are very clean, maybe you are not getting the right exposure to less virulent strains to build up cross immunity.  Of course other factors including personal health, genetics, and perhaps dose of the virus will impact your disease trajectory.   We are starting to lag in predictions for deaths in MN compared to the projected model.  From a data-driven perspective, if this holds then there is no reason to change the guidance on outdoor activities.  We seem to be doing enough already by closing down schools, restaurants, performances etc.  No need for further restrictions.   Mike
    • ozzie
      Thanks for sharing this personal story with us mrpike1973!  It takes a lot to get the nerve up to lay your emotions out there to possibly be rejected.  Here's hoping that you and your parent's can resolve the past, and move forward, with healing the wounds time has created.  Good luck and good for you to open the door to start the healing process!!
    • Mike89
      good for you mrpike1973!!!!!  and I hope the relationship gets better too!!!!
    • mrpike1973
      Morning everyone one! Prayers do work my wife was able to get ahold of unemployment today in 2014 someone attempted to use my wife's info to get benefits it was denied because it was incorrect. The person helping her said she should get her check on Friday and they took care of the issue. Here is hoping😀 We have been looking at our boat like Wile coyote waiting to eat it😜.   So I don't want to get to personal or to much info but please bear with me.  In 11th grade I was thrown out of the house I was homeless during this time somehow managed to graduate and go to post secondary school. It was very rough but made me who i am today. Well as you can imagine I have not talked much to my folks since. After reading many of the posts on here about families I got to thinking they are still alive and why not reach out to chat they can only say no. I called them this weekend and we got together. I felt like I was on my first date and the Dad was cleaning the shotgun😬 It took awhile but we started chatting some I have kept in contact with my Mom some but not like a son should. Lets just say some healing went on and yes I know you should not be visiting people but this could not wait longer. I don't know what the future holds but let's just say these posts really helped me assess what life is about.    My Mom asked me if we can go fishing this summer☺️ You know my answer
    • smurfy
      I've often thought about trying the leech catching thing...…...but not if I have to do it before its light out!!!!!!🥴   great info by the way. I've been trying really hard to fish plastics most of the time, but I do like having some meat along just in case. with the amount of bait I use.....i'll support the fellers that sell and get it!!!!!!
    • gimruis
      Believe the health experts, not the politicians.
    • gimruis
      The CDC website indicates that the primary mode of transmission is from coughing or sneezing and respiratory droplets go from one person to another within 6 feet.  It says that surface-hand-face transmission is not thought to be the main mode of spreading.   https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-covid-spreads.html
    • IceHawk
      I honestly don't know what to believe any more. There are so many different views opinions charts out there on this it will drive you crazy. Pretty much gave up watching TV because getting a little sick of everything on there is pretty much depressing. Pretty much went back to concentrating on the things that are important and things I can control my family right now. We have been setting up zoom meetings with all of my brothers sisters parent etc. Seeing there faces and hearing there all healthy is my concern. My wife daughters and me have all been going for walks with out dogs working on yard projects etc trying to stay healthy mentally and physically! We just came to realize that watching or listening to all the doom and gloom is no good for everyone. Concentrate on what we have in front of us each other and the time we have with each other.  Yes we keep up to the latest but limit our involvement. Life is short the way it is positivity an a smile will fulfill your life more than worrying and trying to figure this out!
    • Austin12345
      Nice thanks you guys
    • BobT
      And one of our greatest sources of vitamin D is sunlight so let's go fishing!😃

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.