• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stick in Mud

• rodmaker

• pushbutton

• TravP

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bite was good again this morning. Including another keeper. Set lines and jigging about 50/50 on fish. If the fish was there it was eating. 🎣🎣🎣 Tight Lines everyone!

I was on perfect rocky structure last Weds. in 19-27'. Had it all to myself. Only 1 Ice Castle within 200 yards. Fishing was decent. Caught 8 respectable walleyes, all on Slab Raps. All while hole-hop

Broke the 40 mark! 

Posted Images

Was up there from thur. night through sun. morning with the wheelhouse fishing the flats. Seen alot of walleyes on the camera every day. We ended up catching 13 walleyes and some jumbos. Biggest walleyes were around 17 inches and had a few that were only 8-10 inches one perch was 13" and a few around 10". As for atv travel we had no problems out on thje flats getting around pulling the fish traps. Was even able to get the wheelhouse well off the road with the truck. But closer to shore it did get deeper and don't think we could have done it. All and all not to bad but wish a few more would have bit at times we would have 3 or 4 walleyes on the cam at the same time but they would just swim by. Oh yeah and it was cooold out.

Fishing was slow for us on Sunday. One small walleye, put back. And a few tulibee. Went out of Hunters on the last 4 flats. Nobody else out there. Pretty much has the place to ourselves.

Bartz,

caught most of the fish with a small red/glow forage minnow tipped with a minnow head. We tried everything that we had and that was the best. A few came off of a fathead on the rattle reel.

Thanks for the info Walleye. I appreciate any and all tips I can get before a trip up to the big pond. My buddy from Phoenix is coming up for his first trip on the ice and I'd like to see him occupied catching fish rather than him being distracted by the cold. Should be fun no matter how the fish are biting though.

buckpredator

I was also up there on thursday and couldn't believe the amount of tulibee that we caught, some very nice ones too. They should taste good once they are smoked. They are sitting in a brine right now. oh, we also caught a few jumbos and many small walleyes in that 8-10 inch range that has been so popular this year.

fishkaholic

was up there yesterday, all day. manage only 4 eyes,1 jumbo, and a bunch of tullibees. The bite is slow. work the flats and deep edge all day. wish others had more luck than us. was fishing from 22-34 fow. buckshot is the way to go with minnow.

fish with teeth

was up wed thru fri (1-28 to 1-30) out of barnicles with the wheel house. we went to barnicles flat set up and 10 min in i had my first eater (16 1/2 inch). we ended up with 7 walleye (26 1/2, 26 1/4, 21, 21, 20, 17 1/2, and 16 1/2) 2 small perch and 3 ciscos. one of the 21 inchers was on a jigging spoon. the rest were on rattle wheels with red hook and shiner or rainbow. we were jigging alot and the sniffers would show up have a sniff and leave. we marked alot of fish with the vexilar and aqua-vu. had a good time, roads were nice but bumpy. good luck and have fun

Saturday Report.

10 hours of tough fishing. Fished a couple of small flats. 23' to 31'. 1 24" walleye and two 7" mini eyes.

Also, tried the shoreline break in front of Barney's. Zip O.

No perch and no tullies. Beautiful day !

tweed

Fished the south west side of the lake today. Started out in 30'around 1:00pm. Marked a lot of fish but only brought in two medium perch. We were planning on moving in to a shallower spot before sunset but the wind was so strong thet we did not think trying to move our portable was a good idea. Fished that spot until 7:00 but no additional fish. The wind must have been gusting to over 30 mph. We had all we could do to hold the house together at times.

Fished the mud out of Hunter's yesterday. Pretty much slow all day with a Tuli and a couple small walleye (10"). Seemed like when the wind picked up the fishing picked up. From 4 till 5 we caught about 10 walleyes but all of them were small except for one (14"), which went back down the hole. Seemed like a hurricane came through out there in the afternoon. Orange swedish pimples were the lure of choice for us.

Stayed in a sleeper this weekend out of Appledorns. Best shape sleeper houses I have ever seen. Inside the house, 2 - 10.5" perch and 3 small eelpout. Saturday we ventured out on the sleds to be mobile. 4 walleyes. 1 keeper 17.5 incher and the rest were from 10-12 inches. Great houses, not so good fishing.

Was in a sleeper on Sat. out of Dickie's, alot of small walleyes on spoons and minnows, 24 FOW. During the day went out of Fisherman's Wharf in 30 FOW and had perch from about 2 on until I couldn't hold the portable down anymore. Clown and Red Glo buckshot spoons tipped with waxies were the trick. I talked to a lady at the bar that has had a house at the Wharf for many years and they just moved their house to 34 FOW and she had an excellent perch bite all day and she said it was the best bite she's had in years

Sat. and Sunday.

Fished a sand to silt area. Using a camera was key on this trip. green or orange buckshots worked great. Something heavy enough to stir up the silt. We would pound the bottom and 5-10 small perch would show up. Then all of a sudden they would scatter. The jumbos would come in like rockets. I had my fiance with me and she thought this was really cool. She caught a couple that were just hogs.

BWally - how deep were you fishing? Mud or gravel? how many waxys did you gob onto the trebble hook? All perch or did u get some walters?

27' on gravel was slow for me this wkd

Yeah, a big gob. I pretty much filled it up so no hooks were showing. fished 26-30. Did catch a 10 inch walleye on a sucker minnow that wasn't much smaller. We fished a sand to silt area. Perch were throwing up all sorts of big insect larva.

Fished the mud last weekend fri.,sat. and sun. We caught 20 walleyes with 13 being keepers. Only one that was about 10" and rest being 18"-26". Fished in 25 fow morn and eve. Didnt fish at all midday. Key I think is to get away from crowds. We had sleds but did see some guys running around on wheelers.

JASONY, Thanks for the rpt. Did you catch any between 6PM-5AM?-or were you not sleeping on the ice? If you don't mind letting me live vicariously thru you till I get up to the pond - What lures/presentations were working? Possible to drive 4x4 pickup around? When you say 25' - that must mean the top EDGE of a flat?? Thanks bud.

We stayed on a different flat without any action overnight. So we fished about 7am to about 11am, then from 330pm to 6pm. Got all but a couple on jigging spoons and minnow head. Also got some on jigging raps and head. I dont think a pickup is the best option to get off road. You can obviously get to spots by the road, but like i said before is I think the key is to get away to unpressured fish. We were basically towards the top edge. I think the it tops out at about 23-24 fow. Good Luck if you head up. Going again friday. Hope they still bite!

little chief

im lookin to head up sat. morning where is the best place to get on the lake? i dont mind payin fees but would like to get on some roads that go all over if there are any? im just lookin for a good starting point!

Thanks for the good report. I'm heading up tomorrow night for a long weekend. Hope to have at least a little luck. Sounds like it's supposed to be nice.

We went out of Hunters and you can get to most flats from there. They have roads to about a dozen different ones.

I fished the northwest mud flats last weekend and did pretty well on eyes and perch. We were out way past where the plowed roads end, on a sled. I was a little worried going out that far with 2 of us on one sled pulling my portable. The fishing was worth it, but it would have been a heck of a long walk back if something were to break down. I'm heading back up on Friday morning and will be heading out on the lake by noon or so Friday. I'd be more than willing to share the location if anyone would want to caravan out onto the lake from the landing in Garrison or out of one of the resorts if preferred. The weather is supposed to be great. Correction, I'll be working until 3 on Friday and then heading up for the weekend.

Nope. There's way too much snow, only way would be to plow a road, which in itself would be tough to do that far out. It's going to be fairly warm, fishing outside of the fish house will be very possible, keep the wheel house at the end of the plowed road from Terry's and head out farther with wheelers and sleds ??? I do have an extra suitcase style portable.

• Rick changed the title to 2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Dress warm and catch walleyes!  Some even bring their Mr. Heater in the boat.  High temps this week in the low 40's.  The water temps are in the 30's and the walleyes are staged in many early ice areas.  Good reports on the lake with a mix of small fish, eaters and some big fish.  Consider areas on the lake such as the Lighthouse Gap, Morris Point Gap, Zippel Bay and Long Point.  Good reports in all of those areas.  Walleyes in 7 - 26' of water.  Most anglers anchored up and jigging with an emerald shiner.  Pink, gold, glow and green jigs working well.  Pike are active in bays and along shorelines.  Trolling crankbaits for some anglers is still effective, but jigging by far the chosen technique this time of year.
      On the Rainy River...   Anglers seeing good numbers of walleyes on electronics as well as a lot of bait.  With so many shiners in the river, catching walleyes has been tougher than normal.  The river is still low, current slow.  Best depths anywhere from 7-24'.  Most anglers are jigging with live or frozen shiners.  Pink, glow and gold combo effective.  Trolling crankbaits over flats where fish are spread still pulling some fish.  Walleyes in Four Mile Bay 10-15'.  Sturgeon anglers focusing on deeper holes with current.  A sturgeon rig with crawlers and shiners.
      Up at the NW Angle...  
      Nice walleyes being caught up at the Angle for anglers braving some colder than normal temps.  Jig and a minnow on points and areas with current all good places to start in 13'-26'.  Gold, pink, and glow colors great choices.  Some big pike being caught by walleye anglers as well as those trolling shorelines.  Pike and muskies in bays and off of rock points.  

• JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      What’s the status of small lakes in the arrowhead? I’m going to Grand Marais this weekend, and the forecast looks pretty miserable 😩 I have a feeling I’m going to be busting through ice to launch my boat. But is it at all possible that some of these little designated trout lakes could be locked up completely? 
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      DNR has a proposal to remove the dam on the Grindstone River, in Hinckley. The reservoir, which serves absolutely no purpose, is about 27 acres, and is nothing but mud and silt. I’m in favor of any and all dam removals! They’re taking comments via e-mail until November 12. If you want to write the DNR, subject e-mail “Grindstone EIS” to [email protected]
    • Hawkem9
      By Hawkem9
      Hey guys, 

Looking for some opinions from those of you who fish the lake consistently.  We take a fall trip every year and have been on the cass chain the last 5 years.  Planning on heading to Vermillion this year.  We have two dates in mind being either the 18-25 of Sept or the 9-16th of October.  Love to be somewhere in the middle but it wont work this year.  We will fish Smallies/wallys the majority of the time and planning to stay on the east side.  Would any of you suggest one of those times over the other?  I am seeing the current weather up that way and its making me a bit nervous about the later dates, but if the fishing is better by mid october will certainly risk some colder weather.  Thanks for any input!
    • evinrudespeed
      By evinrudespeed
      So the weather really tanked!! I was hoping to fish until November before winterizing the boat.

Anyone been out...either reservoirs or up Hwy 53? Any idea of when landings start pulling docks...probably on DNR site huh?
    • evinrudespeed
      By evinrudespeed
      Heading out to Leech in the cold temps...hoping to stay at least dry. Any reports or bait suggestions? I’ll keep you posted.
    • Snogan
      By Snogan
      Just wondering if anyone else that fishes the Root (especially below Lanesboro) has ever patterned or had any luck targeting sauger/eyes. This is my first year trying for them after hearing whispers for years and I've been surprised with my results. So far I've caught 5 sauger and 4 eyes out of the Root this year, a 17 inch Sauger and a 22 inch eye being my biggest so far. I know the river is a lot better known for trout but if anybody else has had any luck targeting other species I'd love to share reports or tactics. 
    • papadarv
      By papadarv
      Finally got out fishing this season, long weekend on Ottertail, Vacationland resort. Lots of wind Fri & Sun, Sat fairly calm. Marked lots of fish but slow bite with a few walleye & perch. Crallers, raps, suckers, shad. Day 16 - 19 FOW deep side of weeds and 6 - 9 FOW shallow side of weeds after dark. 61 to 62 deg water temp. Lots of bait balls at 17 - 19 and suspended at 20 - 25 ft in 40 - 150 FOW. Much needed fantastic weekend.
      Pics, multi helix 9 SI - DI - Sonar, cabin lake view, Son, Grandson. Hard to believe the monster perch hit a 3" Sucker.

• RedSunset
      By RedSunset
      Is anyone out there getting tired of all these fishing tournaments?  Lake Vermilion just came off an August with way too much Bass tournament pressure.  Several folks are really concerned about what all that pressure is doing to our fish populations.  The week of August, first week of Sept. there was a 3 day B.A.S.S. event.  There was pre fishing all week then the 3 day event.  It looked like a swarm of locusts out here on the Lake.  People who live on the lake and people who came up for vacation to fish bass could hardly find a place to fish.  B.A.S.S does not practice true catch and release or Catch Record Release.  There practice is to catch hold in live well,  parade across a stage, hold the fish in a tank, releasing them somewhere in the lake.  The mortality must be quite high.  Besides the DNR is not monitoring how the fish are handled or where they are released.  Both are regulated in the Tournament guidelines for Lake Vermilion. Also those fish are displaced from their normal habitat.  Many residents on Lake Vermilion are complaining.  There are just too many fishing tournaments. Too much pre fishing.  Too often.  Time for the DNR and MN legislators to take a new look at the statutes governing them.
    • jim curlee
      By jim curlee
      28 here this morning.
      Ice fishin will be here before you know it. LOL
      Might even get here before deer huntin. lol
      Jim
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Wanderer
      I noticed the same.  Happens here and there and I usually report it.   That said, I read through some of the old posts and was interested in the Red Wing comments.  Quality, then a departure followed thankfully by a return in quality.   I used to rotate 2 pairs Irish Setters when I worked in a machine shop.  Wear one till it needed to be re-soled, then switch to the other pair.  Great boots that kept my bones healthy on cement floors.   I just recently bought a new pair after being absent from work boot type work for 15 years and it’s seems like the quality is still there.  Very comfy and built well.
    • gimruis
      Lowering the bag limit or instituting a restrictive harvest size will only so far too.  We both know that there isn't enough enforcement out there already.  What its going to have to take is a complete culture shift from mostly harvest to mostly catch and release.  It has caught on in the world of bass and muskie fishing for years now and their populations have responded with an abundance of thriving populations and trophy caliber fish.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources announced today it is extending its wolf management public input period until Nov. 20. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • h8go4s
      billrider has a total of 3 posts, all with a link to his website. No credibility.
    • mulefarm
    • Dash 1
      As much as I would like to blame the catfish or other species of hurting the panfish population, the number one factor I believe is over harvest from fishing. There are people that fish 4 or more days a week and give fish away to others that don’t fish.  Somehow they just can’t bring themselves to catch and release which I do not understand.  I love fishing and I love the taste of fish but no way my I cleaning fish every time I go out. Hopefully we can continue to educate people on the benefits of catch and release instead of keeping so many. It sucks to go down to 10 or 5 for a limit, but if it helps us down the road I will live with it.  The lake my in-laws have a cabin on has been 5 sunfish for many years now and  it has helped. It just takes a while.
    • PRO-V
      I have trouble taking recommendations from someone that is obviously just trying to use this forum to sell stuff. Just like the pro's - the best product is the one that sponsors them. 🙄
    • gimruis
      I don't fish that series of lakes but I have also heard that the introduction of the catfish years ago has played a significant role in reducing the population of panfish, especially bluegills.  I know bass anglers that fish out there regularly using artificial moving lures that still catch catfish.  That tells me they are aggressive and hungry.   I believe muskies were also introduced but muskies have not been proven to have a measurable impact on panfish populations, except for maybe perch.  There's simply not enough of them and stomach content studies have shown they prefer a diet of suckers, ciscoes (when present), small pike, and perch.  Would they eat a bluegill given the chance?  Of course.  But they do not seek them out as primary prey.   Another likely factor is angler over harvest.  Panfish populations get hammered almost year round now.
    • smurfy
      looks like there will be a change in sunfish limits effective march 1. article in todays st cloud times said there looking to reduce the sunfish limit on 9 area lakes. those lakes happen to make up the horseshoe chain system. looks like the new limit will go from 20 to 10.   now this is just my opinion but i didnt hear any issues with the panfish population  until a few years after they introduced the catfish to that system.   either way i'm ok with the change! 
    • Austin12345
      love all the pictures 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.