• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rick

2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

Sifty

Nice looking fish.

Sifty

Bartz

Heading to Appeldoorn's on Friday. How did everyone do out in the SE corner this last weekend?

walleye-

Was up there from thur. night through sun. morning with the wheelhouse fishing the flats. Seen alot of walleyes on the camera every day. We ended up catching 13 walleyes and some jumbos. Biggest walleyes were around 17 inches and had a few that were only 8-10 inches one perch was 13" and a few around 10". As for atv travel we had no problems out on thje flats getting around pulling the fish traps. Was even able to get the wheelhouse well off the road with the truck. But closer to shore it did get deeper and don't think we could have done it. All and all not to bad but wish a few more would have bit at times we would have 3 or 4 walleyes on the cam at the same time but they would just swim by. Oh yeah and it was cooold out.

broman

Fishing was slow for us on Sunday. One small walleye, put back. And a few tulibee. Went out of Hunters on the last 4 flats. Nobody else out there. Pretty much has the place to ourselves.

Bartz

Thanks for the report Walleye. What were the walleye's hitting on?

walleye-

Bartz,

caught most of the fish with a small red/glow forage minnow tipped with a minnow head. We tried everything that we had and that was the best. A few came off of a fathead on the rattle reel.

Bartz

Thanks for the info Walleye. I appreciate any and all tips I can get before a trip up to the big pond. My buddy from Phoenix is coming up for his first trip on the ice and I'd like to see him occupied catching fish rather than him being distracted by the cold. Should be fun no matter how the fish are biting though.

buckpredator

I was also up there on thursday and couldn't believe the amount of tulibee that we caught, some very nice ones too. They should taste good once they are smoked. They are sitting in a brine right now. oh, we also caught a few jumbos and many small walleyes in that 8-10 inch range that has been so popular this year.

fishkaholic

was up there yesterday, all day. manage only 4 eyes,1 jumbo, and a bunch of tullibees. The bite is slow. work the flats and deep edge all day. wish others had more luck than us. was fishing from 22-34 fow. buckshot is the way to go with minnow.

fish with teeth

was up wed thru fri (1-28 to 1-30) out of barnicles with the wheel house. we went to barnicles flat set up and 10 min in i had my first eater (16 1/2 inch). we ended up with 7 walleye (26 1/2, 26 1/4, 21, 21, 20, 17 1/2, and 16 1/2) 2 small perch and 3 ciscos. one of the 21 inchers was on a jigging spoon. the rest were on rattle wheels with red hook and shiner or rainbow. we were jigging alot and the sniffers would show up have a sniff and leave. we marked alot of fish with the vexilar and aqua-vu. had a good time, roads were nice but bumpy. good luck and have fun

tweedlap

Saturday Report.

10 hours of tough fishing. Fished a couple of small flats. 23' to 31'. 1 24" walleye and two 7" mini eyes.

Also, tried the shoreline break in front of Barney's. Zip O.

No perch and no tullies. Beautiful day !

tweed

Ken2

Fished the south west side of the lake today. Started out in 30'around 1:00pm. Marked a lot of fish but only brought in two medium perch. We were planning on moving in to a shallower spot before sunset but the wind was so strong thet we did not think trying to move our portable was a good idea. Fished that spot until 7:00 but no additional fish. The wind must have been gusting to over 30 mph. We had all we could do to hold the house together at times.

maros91

Fished the mud out of Hunter's yesterday. Pretty much slow all day with a Tuli and a couple small walleye (10"). Seemed like when the wind picked up the fishing picked up. From 4 till 5 we caught about 10 walleyes but all of them were small except for one (14"), which went back down the hole. Seemed like a hurricane came through out there in the afternoon. Orange swedish pimples were the lure of choice for us.

BSG

Stayed in a sleeper this weekend out of Appledorns. Best shape sleeper houses I have ever seen. Inside the house, 2 - 10.5" perch and 3 small eelpout. Saturday we ventured out on the sleds to be mobile. 4 walleyes. 1 keeper 17.5 incher and the rest were from 10-12 inches. Great houses, not so good fishing.

MNHuntress

Was in a sleeper on Sat. out of Dickie's, alot of small walleyes on spoons and minnows, 24 FOW. During the day went out of Fisherman's Wharf in 30 FOW and had perch from about 2 on until I couldn't hold the portable down anymore. Clown and Red Glo buckshot spoons tipped with waxies were the trick. I talked to a lady at the bar that has had a house at the Wharf for many years and they just moved their house to 34 FOW and she had an excellent perch bite all day and she said it was the best bite she's had in years

bwally

Sat. and Sunday.

Fished a sand to silt area. Using a camera was key on this trip. green or orange buckshots worked great. Something heavy enough to stir up the silt. We would pound the bottom and 5-10 small perch would show up. Then all of a sudden they would scatter. The jumbos would come in like rockets. I had my fiance with me and she thought this was really cool. She caught a couple that were just hogs.

Kiko

BWally - how deep were you fishing? Mud or gravel? how many waxys did you gob onto the trebble hook? All perch or did u get some walters?

27' on gravel was slow for me this wkd

Kiko

Is anyone driving 4 wheel drive pickups off road around the northwest mud flats?

bwally

Yeah, a big gob. I pretty much filled it up so no hooks were showing. fished 26-30. Did catch a 10 inch walleye on a sucker minnow that wasn't much smaller. We fished a sand to silt area. Perch were throwing up all sorts of big insect larva.

JASONY

Fished the mud last weekend fri.,sat. and sun. We caught 20 walleyes with 13 being keepers. Only one that was about 10" and rest being 18"-26". Fished in 25 fow morn and eve. Didnt fish at all midday. Key I think is to get away from crowds. We had sleds but did see some guys running around on wheelers.

BigWhopper

JASONY, Thanks for the rpt. Did you catch any between 6PM-5AM?-or were you not sleeping on the ice? If you don't mind letting me live vicariously thru you till I get up to the pond - What lures/presentations were working? Possible to drive 4x4 pickup around? When you say 25' - that must mean the top EDGE of a flat?? Thanks bud.

JASONY

We stayed on a different flat without any action overnight. So we fished about 7am to about 11am, then from 330pm to 6pm. Got all but a couple on jigging spoons and minnow head. Also got some on jigging raps and head. I dont think a pickup is the best option to get off road. You can obviously get to spots by the road, but like i said before is I think the key is to get away to unpressured fish. We were basically towards the top edge. I think the it tops out at about 23-24 fow. Good Luck if you head up. Going again friday. Hope they still bite!

little chief

im lookin to head up sat. morning where is the best place to get on the lake? i dont mind payin fees but would like to get on some roads that go all over if there are any? im just lookin for a good starting point!

bearslayer

Thanks for the good report. I'm heading up tomorrow night for a long weekend. Hope to have at least a little luck. Sounds like it's supposed to be nice.

Cecil

We went out of Hunters and you can get to most flats from there. They have roads to about a dozen different ones.

little chief

was lookin for anything thing on the west side. thanks though

gregg52

ya i posted a deal bout cash's wonderin if you could get from there but havnt had no replys

Norsky

I fished the northwest mud flats last weekend and did pretty well on eyes and perch. We were out way past where the plowed roads end, on a sled. I was a little worried going out that far with 2 of us on one sled pulling my portable. The fishing was worth it, but it would have been a heck of a long walk back if something were to break down. I'm heading back up on Friday morning and will be heading out on the lake by noon or so Friday. I'd be more than willing to share the location if anyone would want to caravan out onto the lake from the landing in Garrison or out of one of the resorts if preferred. The weather is supposed to be great. Correction, I'll be working until 3 on Friday and then heading up for the weekend.

gregg52

think you could get a wheel house out there ??

Norsky

Nope. There's way too much snow, only way would be to plow a road, which in itself would be tough to do that far out. It's going to be fairly warm, fishing outside of the fish house will be very possible, keep the wheel house at the end of the plowed road from Terry's and head out farther with wheelers and sleds ??? I do have an extra suitcase style portable.