• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

Rick

Definitely negative fish friday and saturday. We fished the Garrison area Friday and got one 25" on a tipup the rest that came in were just window shopping. Saturday we took the wheeler out and searched the flats fished plenty of areas, marked fish but all were lookers. Around 3pm we were cold and decided we would just set up camp warm up and hope for the best. Well the first 5 minutes produced two fish a 21" and a 22". The fish were really finicky and we found an 1/8 forage minnow with waxies and little movement was the ticket. Ended up catching a few more eyes up to 25" and loosing a few more, also had one pike.

Anyone getting any perch out of the garrison area. My dad recently moved to this end of the lake and we have not had any luck. We used to have a cabin on big point and had better luck on that side of the lake.

About the perch: Very very few and far between for me, and I'm fishing around the Garrison area. I think I've got three total all year. They've all been keepers, though. I don't know where the little ones are...I've been on the flats, no perch. On the rocks, no perch. On the mud/rock transition, no perch. Some guys have talked about getting a few, but I don't know where they're finding them.

About the negative mood of the fish: I agree. Fished all day today and caught one fish. They definitely weren't aggressive this weekend, at least where I was fishing. I did have a few flurries, including one late last night, but all in all it felt like I was fishing in late February.

Was a little south of Appledorns this weekend and there was around 15 inches. Ultimately do not know where this happened, but if it if it was between doe and the point, it is where a crack often forms, and not where Appledorn's roads run. There is not much snow out there and off road travel was common place. Being cautious, personally stuck to staked roads, but for the most part pretty consistent ice all over the lake and if driving slooowww, you should be ok.

As for the bite, also pretty slooowwww. Fished a bay weed line and a 20 ft break on the SE side, and hooked up with Carmike tonight on some 10 ft structure on the NW side with all kicking out about the same results.....one or two here and there, primetime by far the best, and pretty spooky fish with set lines providing the best results. Will be hitting deep transition or the base of flats on the north end the next few weeks, as more comfortable driving, and suspect my "luck" will change.....we'll see.

Hunters Point just posted on their facebook page that they had another large crack and had to close down their roads. frown I really wanted to head up this week with the warm weather, but I'm fairly clueless when it comes to finding hard water eyes out of other resorts roads.

Is there anything more recent than a year ago?

Obviously that was a miss print. wink It was an update from 2013. smile

Would hardly even know the report was from last year....this year reads about the same...complete with vikings game wink

hows fishin near isle/twin bay area? ice? takin 1st trip to the house (out of mac's twin bay) in a week, had shoulder surgery, gonna do sum "theraputic recovery" in the shack for week or so lol

Considering a truck went through last weekend, I'd've been a bit worried about it before the warm weather. smile That being said, a bit of warm weather (as far as I know) isn't going to make any real difference on ice thickness.

This issue has been hacked out on here before, but I'll give my best answer, as far as I understand it (it very well might be wrong, as I've never dunked a car and don't know anyone who has): The loss of the car is covered, but the cost of getting it out of the lake isn't.

Just curious I've heard different things but not from anybody with first hand knowledge. How do they get out on bottom of lake if out far? Well anyway hope fish are biting....

Carmike/jay: check my response to this very question on the home page Ice Fishing. Cost of retrieval is covered along with damage to vehicle if you have comp on your policy.

I think as everyone stated earlier, damage is covered, but not the removal from the lake fee. More importantly, though, is if you are dumb enough to do it twice, I think going through the ice and having your vehicle repaired/ replaced is only allowed once in your life. The second time you are SOL. moral of the story, don't be too ambitious to drive on early season ice and do 80 across the lake.

Carmike/jay: check my response to this very question on the home page Ice Fishing. Cost of retrieval is covered along with damage to vehicle if you have comp on your policy.

Ah, thanks, bturk!

I think as everyone stated earlier, damage is covered, but not the removal from the lake fee. More importantly, though, is if you are dumb enough to do it twice, I think going through the ice and having your vehicle repaired/ replaced is only allowed once in your life. The second time you are SOL. moral of the story, don't be too ambitious to drive on early season ice and do 80 across the lake.

I've never been thru this, but I don't think this is correct. When an accident occurs, recovery is part of the claim. Why would it be any different if it goes thru the ice? Citations would not be covered. Same as if you get a ticket when involved in an accident.

Bottom line is that a vehicle thru the ice is an accident. I don't know anyone who would do it on purpose.

Amfam said they would cover it all minus the citations. But, only one time....

AMFAM said that, or your policy? If AMFAM says one thing and your policy says another, you may have a problem.

Does anyone have any reports from Mille Lacs this weekend? They would be greatly appreciated.

Tight Lines

Was out at shaws reef/2mile area saturday night through sunday morning. It was cold and windy. Ice was popping all night long! Not a single bite saturday night. Marked a few fish everynow and then, but still no takers. Only caught an 18.5" eye Sunday morning while jigging a demon head with a minnow. I'm just waiting for conditions to get better so I can head out to the mudflats.

not 1 rattle wheel all night saturday ,lot of lookers at jigging but no strikes. moved out to 30 fow sunday morning and son caught a 26"er on small hook and full crappie minnow under bobber . his biggest fish ever so not a complete loss of a trip

Cost of retrieval can vary by company. Call your own agent regarding your policy. Some 'companies may exclude all or parts of coverage unless you have a separate endorsement. My company paid the whole bill; one of our adjusters told me years ago when I first asked the question regarding puttin a vehicle in the drink, her responses " yes we do cover stupidity"................

• The title was changed to 2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports