• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

Rick

quote]

Wait a minute!!!! All the musky fishermen insist muskies don't eat walleye..... U must have been seeing things wink

Was up there for first time this weekend. Never seen anything like it before in my life (the bug hatch). Boat will need some serious cleaning.

On a good note, we caught mostly non-keeper eyes and kept up the "wow factor" in our boat just enough for the ladies to not get bored. Came home with 2 (16" and 17.5") keepers.. Everything else was either too big or too small. A lil over 10 fish were boated total for the weekend and 3 were boxed. Probably spent a total of only 3 hrs the 1st morning on the water, about 4 that evening and 1 the next morning. Chased eyes in 20 to 24 ft of water outside of the crowds over what seemed like sand in some areas and rocks in others on the SE end.

The rest was northern fishing to keep everyone entertained. Not bad for first time at Mille Lacs. I didn't even have a depth map. Wife caught a mammoth perch that must've weighed 1.5 lbs. It made great shore lunch. Saw muskies in shallow water that could've taken out a limb which I've also never seen before. Overall, a great first time experience aside from the midge apocalypse.

Yea a preditorial fish like that almost always justs naws on other fish for the taste... They always give a gentle release! Good call!!!

Stopped by the mud from 12-3 yesterday. I boated 6 by myself, 1 26" and the rest in the 20's except for 1 which was 16" and got the sword put to him. A few of the fish were up on top, the last 4 came 50yds off in 35 fow.

Fishing by myself I shortened up my snell to 7', which may have slowed the bite a bit..

Stopped by the mud from 12-3 yesterday. I boated 6 by myself, 1 26" and the rest in the 20's except for 1 which was 16" and got the sword put to him. A few of the fish were up on top, the last 4 came 50yds off in 35 fow.

Fishing by myself I shortened up my snell to 7', which may have slowed the bite a bit..

Drezler, did you notice a really light bite yesterday?

We were fishing deep gravel, boated 4 fish about the same times of the day as you, but they were biting so light. We would give them line longer than I had ever before and still barely have it in their mouth. All we would pull back is a half inch of the leech. We must have only hooked 1 fish for every 10 bites. I got a nice 25" and lost an equal sized fish at the boat.

Fished the south yesterday afternoon, a nice breeze made for sweatshirt fishing which is fine w\me. Riggin leeches still put more than a crawler. 25'-30' depth and slow worked for me. Fished from 1-10 and cut 3 limits for 3 guys last night. did not do the corking last night, and to my suprise we caught the last 3 box fish w\rig and leech at sunset\9:45. Released a few over but not as many this trip. Biggest was 23" with 3-4 19"-22".city

anyone having any luck night fishing boobers? thinking of heading back up on friday after work??

last night we where on the rocks 12' leech and a light jig, it had been a week since I corked the rocks but 2 guys 6 slot fish and a nice jumbo! We threw 3 biggys back 22",23",25"! again that was Monday night! good luck.city

not looking for spots, just wondering what area you were in.

i was out on big point a week ago and did well in 24 fow with slip bobber

Fished Mille Lacs today after missing a weekend. We fished a gravel/sand transition in the 17-20ft range with most fish coming off the shallower areas. Chartreuse hooks with jumbos worked great. Water temp was 61-62 degrees. Big fish of the day was only a 25"er. They eaters weren't jumping in the boat, but we did scrap out our 8 box fish. It was a great way to celebrate fathers day with my dad, that's for sure!

100_0085.jpg

Had a a great day on Friday. Went out of Isle and headed for the deep gravel. 27 FOW seemed the be the magic number. Dragging leeches on 6 foot snells. Between the two of us, we must have caught over 30 fish. Most were between 20" and 27". We fished from 8:00AM to 5:00PM and it took all of that to fill our two limits but we got it done. It doesnt get much better than that. (except if they finally get that slot changed!)

i dont think the slot is to bad over there

personally walleyes much over that 18 inches start tasting like the lake any way

as you said you got your eating fish and caught fish all day what more can a guy ask for... not much fun to go out and get a limit in 45 mins and go home is it ?

I fished a few hours today, caught 8 fish all in the slot. Nice fish, no keepers tho. It was frantic for like 45 minutes where I caught 6 fish and lost 2 others. Then it was dead. Didn't help that a convoy of boats saw my prowess and set up camp all around me. I started all alone with no boats within a quarter mile. Left with a bunch that could hear me think

Fished friday and saturday out on the mud. Lots of fish but only a few for the box. Biggest was 27" with a lot of 22 to 26 inchers. wanted to try the gravel but my windshield fell apart while bouncing across the lake. All good now but ruined my friday night fishing.

I guess a guy gets a little spoiled this time of year when the fishing is great. I still think those 20 inchers would like mighty nice on my fillet table laugh

Going to hit the big pond this weekend, has anyone been out to 8 mile mud flat yet this year and had any luck?

Going to hit the big pond this weekend, has anyone been out to 8 mile mud flat yet this year and had any luck?
I have been there, caught fish, but keepers are hard to come by. Nice fish though, biggest of the year so far for me came from there a nice 27".

Thanks Capt.

Were you hitting them on the top flat?

Mostly right on the break. It gets tough following the break when there are more boats out there. Then I pushed off the drop and was getting fish in 32 feet. It was my first time trying a 3 way rig. I always used bottom bouncers or lindy no snag sinkers before. That was a much better way to do it with the 3 way.

Nice vid! I think I saw u guys last night. Were u on garrison?

Not with a Hunters Lanch in the back round

Nice vid! I think I saw u guys last night. Were u on garrison?

Thanks CaptainMusky! Not on Garrison, we were off the east side and that is a Hunter's launch that decided to park by us. The smell of the burgers and brats on their grill was driving us nuts.

Thanks CaptainMusky! Not on Garrison, we were off the east side and that is a Hunter's launch that decided to park by us. The smell of the burgers and brats on their grill was driving us nuts.

oh that would have made a person hungry for sure!

My wife and myself ran up to Mille Lacs yesterday for a catch and release trip. We started on 4 mile and picked up 7 there. I got a call from a buddy about a good bite in another area. (Thanks Chris!) We ended up hammering them in the 27-30ft range. All fish were caught pulling blades/crawlers at around that 1.3mph range. Water temps were still just 63. Size was great today too. The 3 biggest went 26", 27", and 28". Another great day to be on the water and the weather was perfect!

100_0086.jpg

100_0092.jpg

100_0097.jpg

• The title was changed to 2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports