• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

Rick

What depth are you catching the jumbos in? I was out yesterday and sat afternoon and never could find them. I tried 18fow on rocks, 30-33fow off the mud flats, and even 21-25 up on the flats...I did find a lot of little perch on the flat, but no jumbos...

Where abouts is a good or almost guaranteed spot for tullies on the pond, may head up with my wife and daughter next week and don't want to get skunk'd plus 3.5 hr drive? Thanks.

Fishman, You should be able to find them on just about any flat This was my second time up and so far we havn't had to search too hard. If it is really slow going or you arn't marking any just move and drill some holes. Really helps to have a GPS with contour lines. Also we were right up to the auger head when we were drilling, An extension would have helped on the back for drilling but we couldn't get the Head off the drill bit.

Also don't be afraid to jig really aggressivly. I was bringing the pimple up and down almost 2 to 4 feet at a time and that seemed to get their attention and draw them in. Once you find them you can set up a house and catch them all day.

countour lines on the GPS help even if it is a minor change....buddy and I went out on he SE end of the lake and did really well on the perch in deep water off the main structures....we were all by ourselves somewhat with the closest people over 200 yds away....the fish that were biting were very aggeressive and puking up alot of shrimp....best bait was a white pimple with euros but anytime you dropped a new bait down the hole they came in interested....fun fishing with keeping 22 and the biggest was a plump 13"

I disagree with the statement of being able to find tullies just about anywhere. I have fished a ton of places where you would think they would be and they werent there. The other day I fished off of the se point of curleys and couldnt find a fish.

For those of you who are/have been able to get on big schools of them; are you fishing off the points of the flats? If so, how far off the drop off? what has been the best lure?

Its funny that alot of people scoff at tullies. Had a guy today tell me he hates catching them and that they stink...It is true that they smell pretty fishy, but they taste great smoked. I have been trying to get some for the smoker but have not had good luck. Any insights would be very much appreciated!

I agree Kyle, we were out last week and were skunked... we should tag team and get at these elusive tullies(at least for us two...lol)

Let me know how you do if you get out again.

I had good luck last weekend on a small red and gold swedish pimple with a single hook. We found them in 32-34 feet of water.

Fishman,

I will be out there today all day fishing hard! If I find them, Ill tell you exactly where to go. Sometimes a guy just needs to pointed in the right direction, and being there are millions of tullies in that lake I have no problem sharing the info with a guy or two. When are you planning on going back out there?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

best spots for me have been inside turns 8 mile has been good for me all winter.

Fishman,

I will be out there today all day fishing hard! If I find them, Ill tell you exactly where to go. Sometimes a guy just needs to pointed in the right direction, and being there are millions of tullies in that lake I have no problem sharing the info with a guy or two. When are you planning on going back out there?

Kyle,

Being that I work weekends, I probably won't get out until Monday morning. Plus ii have a 3 hr. drive from the south. Good Luck!

How's the ice so far, seeing that the temps. have warmed up a bit this week?

Still driveable?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

no worries about not enough ice yet.

I was at 7 mile flat day. No need to worry about the ice is drivable or not. is every thick and solid. Too thick, I couldn't drill through, end up using some one else left over wholes. should bring an extension with me.

Got 5 tullies, bit was slow, had to jig hard to get tullies to bit.

Thanks to the guys who gave us some of their gas the my augerout on 7 mile. I had forgotten mine in the garage and didn't want to drive back to town. Much appreciated!

went out of lybaks today from about 1030 until sunset. Pretty slow for us, two guys kept 15 perch (5 actual jumbos, the rest around 8-9"). Threw back a handful of dinks and a few tulibee, but overall a slower day than we were hoping for. We were fishing in 32 FOW, probably should have been in more like 20 ft. The fish we did catch came mostly on spikes and euro larva on a very, very still presentation. Had lots more lookers than takers. Also quite a few of the fish we caught were spitting up those little shrimps.

Some other guys we talked with back on shore did really well. One guy reported catching over 80 perch all by himself. Another set of three guys all kept their limits. They were all shallower.

Also really want to thank the husband and wife who run Lybaks, very nice people, helped us with some pre-mixed gas for our auger. Not such a bad day all things considered.

I was on 7 mile saturday and got 15 9-11 incher perch and 8 tulibee. Tulibees bite was best in the morning. perch was good til the sun came out.

Here's a few from last week that I didn't get a chance to post. 7 fish were over a pound with the biggest at 1.6lbs. We fished a soft bottom area with a great bug hatch. 28ft of water. full-28680-6848-102_0015.jpg

full-28680-6849-102_0012.jpg

Just called Terry's to find out about the ice conditions. He said the drive out to 7 mile "should be okay" in my two wheel drive pickup but just got the feeling that maybe he wasn't real sure. We want go up tomorrow for one more time. What does everyone else think? Anyone been out to 7 mile today? From Tery's? From another spot? Looks like I could get to 7 mile out of Lybecks too? Maybe I'll call them. Thanks for any help.

Appeldoorns had a road plowed to 7 mile. The just stopped plowing the roads this week. That would be a good place to go out of.

Just called Terry's to find out about the ice conditions. He said the drive out to 7 mile "should be okay" in my two wheel drive pickup but just got the feeling that maybe he wasn't real sure. We want go up tomorrow for one more time. What does everyone else think? Anyone been out to 7 mile today? From Tery's? From another spot? Looks like I could get to 7 mile out of Lybecks too? Maybe I'll call them. Thanks for any help.

Me and some friends were out there yesterday and the ice should be fine. Ice is still about 3 1/2ft thick and we limited on tullies. Now next week I should be concerned somewhat especially the access'

Anyone been out recently know if the lake is still ok the drive on, especially the access. would like to get out this saturday for the last time.

3.5 feet of ice doesn't thaw over night. Even in July. Especially on a lake that big. Good Ice still and all resorts are allowing vehicle traffic. Some cracks in main lake with pooling water. Just be careful.

Things can change in a hurry this time of year.

Just read Rocky Reef closed their access to vehicles- wheelers and sleds only.

Check with the resorts as they can all differ.

Good luck and stay safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Was out on the pond all day with Mille Lacs Lake Guide Brad Hawthorne for a little pre-sports show fun. We found a huge pile of perch in aboot 35 feet of water right where the sand transitions into mud. There were many doubles and a load of bonus tullibees that moved in right as the sun was going down. Sure was a beautiful day to be out on the water. There was plenty of ice out there yet, we even needed the extension in a couple of places. Hot bait for me was the 1/8th oz Frostee jigging spoon loaded with waxies, while Brad got most of his fish on the 1/8th oz Rattlin Flyer in firetiger. Here are a couple pics from the day:

Photo0227.jpg

Photo0229A.jpg

Made 1 last go today. Launched at the father hennepin access. Fished along the edge of the deep hole in isle bay. Caught about 35 tiny perch and 2 tullibee that were about 6 inches long...at least there appears to be a good year class in the near future smile Marked some suspended fish about 20 ft down in the deep hole (assuming they were tullibee), but they wouldn't touch anything. I should've fished closer to the group of people in the shallows of isle bay...1 guy told me they were catching lot's of sunnies. Oh well, I'll chalk this one up to lack of experience. At least next year I'll know where to go now.

I also had a rough time yesterday, though the weather made it pretty bearable. Didn't get out until 5:00 or so (went out on the northwest side) and caught two nice perch and one pig walleye, which was a lot of fun on my noodle rod w/ 4 lb test.

I think I'm done for the year....can't wait 'til opener! smile

Hi everyone,im a new fish on mille, ya know had the tulibee been this good last year? you guys think it goin to be the same for next year?

Yes, and Yes. If there is not a big die off from warm water temps. If you like tullies pray fro a cool summer.

• The title was changed to 2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports