• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

Rick

We went up this morning and hit three flats and a number of points and inside turns as well as the tops of some. Two small walleyes, numerous tiny perch and a number of small tullies. To say the least, we were depressed. I could not believe how many houses were not on the lake. It looked like the dead sea (no pun intended). Maybe we should heve been on the gravel??

Nope, not our stuff. But it does make me feel better that we aren't the only idiots to have this happen to us wink haha

Just got back and we had a pretty slow day today. Caught an 11" and a nice 16.5" walleye around 11 AM this morning (weird, right?) and a ton of little perch all day. Caught 3 jumbo perch around 4 PM on a tipup, then went flag & bite free through the classic dusk bite. We were around Otto's Reef.

Im going to be on the mud for the next 2 days I will post a good report when I get back...hoping the bite is better than what I am reading

The Perch bite out on the sand flat remains very consistent with some doing a little bit better than others. Guys that are drilling holes and moving until they contact fish have been having the best success. Sometimes 50 feet has been the difference between getting a couple and limiting out. Look for depths between 25-28.

Walleye bite has been very inconsistent with a few being caught here and there. Best Walleye bite has been on Gravel in 29-31 fow. A few bigger ones have been taken shallower on rocks in 16-19 fow.

Fished out of Brandt's Saturday noon to Sunday noon. Ended with 16 perch and a 6 inch walleye. Most fish came off of very small jigs and wax worms. Pulled 3 off rattle reels and minnows. Had 3 tip ups with shiners out all day with nothing. As far as I could tell we were on a huge rock pile in 24-28 ft. Out of the 16 perch 7 were Jumbos. The largest was 13 inches.

You had to make the fish come off the bottom to bite. We would drop to 6 inches off the bottom and raise them 1-3 ft until they would hammer the jig. You didn't have to jig much but rather just slowly raise your line at a consistent speed. Also our best fishing action was at 9:45am on Sunday morning. Nothing at sundown or sunrise.

Good luck out there.

-Bill

Fished Shermans over the weekend and moved until we found fish. Best walleye action was in 24 FOW between 9-11 AM on fatheads.

Went out of KJ's this past weekend. We had a blast just a bunch of guys drinking some beers and playing some cards. Right when we got there tip up flag with a running fish. Started pulling her in she was a big fish!! Got her to the ice and she cut the line! That is all we had. After that we didnt mark or see anything on the vex or Camera. Oh well we still had fun!

Going up to Gull this weekend for the Extravaganza! Should be another fun weekend?

Staying at Breezy. Going to fish pelican through Wednesday. Anyone have any tips? I have never fished it before and I'm not asking for a hot spot or GPS Coords. Just seeing if anyone has been having luck running the weed lines or drop offs.

Thanks!

heading out to shermans today and tomarrow night....ill post what I find usually summer is very good to me out there and winter as well. 1st trip there this winter however....

Went out to the gravel out of Appledoorns this past Saturday & fished from 12PM til dark. Moved 3 times and fished in all different depths. Very slow. Managed some small perch & one 13" eye. Moved too shallow at dusk (only 18 fow) and never graphed a fish during sunset time. Will be back out there again with the wheelhouse in a couple weeks. Report if I can find anything..

just got back from shermans lastnight and this morning, fishing was horrible! 8 holes 1 bite at 6am this morning. stay at home

Going up saturday morning. Any tips? Ive summer fished it plenty will be the second time Ice fishing. Any tips would be great help.

I think catchphoto hit it right on the button.... "stay at home" LOL there are good days to be had in the winter but they are few and far between and usually require a lot of moving around.....

Fished the east side of 8 mile on sunday managed (3) eyes (30) perch and lots of tulibee, lots of sorting and lots of hole drilling.

Greetings, I'm a newbee to this site and a newbee to ice fishing in general. I'm bringing my two sons over this Friday afternoon and Saturday and hoping for some tips on location and lure suggestions and based on what I'm reading for both perch and walleyes, any help is appreciated!

Four of us fished the south end of 8 mile from 2-7 pm on monday. I iced only 1 13" eye.

Tons of small perch out to 36 fow and during the witching hour I had at least 12-14 nice fish show up and snub the buckshot.

then they snubbed the jiggin rap and then finally the chubby.

lots of fish there they just where moving slow and were not hungry, just curious.

I'd like to go back on the right day it would be a slaughter on the water.

good luck

Hey Fishgutz!

Had no idea you were a fellow Fm'er. My wife and I were on the south tip of 8mile from 5pm Sunday until you and your buddies pushed us (suburban and wheelhouse) so we could get a grip on the slick ice.

We saw tons of small eyes up on the top edge, all day and night. No perch up there, iced 12 - 15 eye's less than 10" and one 16.5. that fish came at 1:30pm, cruzed in and snapped at the buckshot.

Tried about 100 yards south (35 ft, well away from the edge)and got only tulibee, right at the west bottom of the drop,(34 ft) 50 yds from the house (26ft) and only got 6" perch there.

Only saw 2 or 3 other keepers on the cam but they didn't even sniff.

Are the tulibee going pretty good right now? How and where do you target them. I caught one on Lake of the woods on a spoon.

So were are the Walleyes? Ive been fishing out of appeldoorns for 3 weekends straight and cant find them. I set up on breaks and move depths multiple times during the day. I have been having good luck finding some nice perch but no walleyes. Do Perch and Walleyes chill in the same spots? or if im into perch does that mean I need to look elsewhere for the Walleyes

Go deep- off of the flats and bars to 31' in the mud. They seem to be chasing the mayfly larvae. This week end on the calendar is so-so, with best bite at 6am and 6pm . Next week is best solar and lunar time is Saturday with highest peak for the month. 7-8 am and 5-6 pm. You still need to search and hunt, that means you have to drill holes. Catch most of my fish last weekend on minnow head and wax worms. Free swimming minnows didn't perform.

Most years you can have the best of both worlds with the perch and the walleyes together. For whatever reason I can't seem to mix them this year. Bite's been tough for everything during the last week on the mud flats.(For me at least). Hopefully the perch and the walleyes start "chilling" together a little more often. Good luck!

Hey, Gadget, glad we could help a fellow FM'er

lots of quality fish showed up in the witching hour but I could only get one to go.

Did you stay on the pond or move?

I put a clinic on, on Tuesday. 30 fow just off of a point on the flats. There are lots of fish in the deep water.

Question. This is the first time I have ice fished Mille Lacs and went out of Twin Pine road about 5pm. Realized I forgot a bunch of stuff and left the lake about 7. My question is, is there always a lady at the top floor of twin pines that lifts her shirt up every time a fisherman leaves the lake? If so the 10 dollars was well worth it.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Question. This is the first time I have ice fished Mille Lacs and went out of Twin Pine road about 5pm. Realized I forgot a bunch of stuff and left the lake about 7. My question is, is there always a lady at the top floor of twin pines that lifts her shirt up every time a fisherman leaves the lake? If so the 10 dollars was well worth it.

Probably a Liq, up guest! So, how many times did you drive on and off the lake for the show! laugh

• The title was changed to 2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports