• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 - Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports (URL)

Rick

Thank you so much for the update. Its important to those who travel. Will see you thanksgiving weekend! Love westwind food!

The latest report from West Wind.

"The ice making process is pretty slow this year. The wind and warm weather caused the ice we did have to break up and blow around the lake. As of yesterday there was open water on a large portion of the lake. I know there are many places with only an inch or so of ice. With that being said, I can not say the ice will be safe this weekend even for foot travel. There may be small patches of ice on the North East shore including right out in front of our access, that have enough ice to travel on, but when the wind blew this week it shifted some large sheets of ice around and there are several thin spots between them. We are not suggesting any lake travel this weekend. We will keep you posted as we will continually check the conditions."

How's the fishing been? I know its safe enough that theres plenty of people fishing.

I understand if the locals want to get their time in before it gets nuts.

How's the fishing been? I know its safe enough that theres plenty of people fishing.

I understand if the locals want to get their time in before it gets nuts.

If you know its safe you should have a report for us since you must have been out?... So how they biting?

Trust me, the resorts and business' want to open it up to the public as soon as possible $$$$$

If you know its safe you should have a report for us since you must have been out?... So how they biting?

Trust me, the resorts and business' want to open it up to the public as soon as possible $$$$$

Ice thickness up to 7", reports of atvs out in the ice. I'm not sure how to politely respond to this. Pretty rude.

Yeah, on other sites there are reports and pictures of people fishing... this site? Run by "guides" (loosely phrased) and dont know what is happening if not out in front of their place????

For the most part guides and outfitters have been busy getting things setup so they can be with there family's for the holidays and ready as possible for the weekend. Iam typing this on my phone as most reports are coming in by phone if I post pictures from it they come up sideways so I have to do it from the computer. Guys are just trying to keep everyone informed the best they can. Sitting at the computer is just not in the game plan the next couple of weeks.

There has been quite a few reports put up on social media sites and things have been shaping up well for everyone, the south shore water still has to settle some and the east shore has been getting a little more help because ice formed there sooner. Both shores guys have been doing well. Things are looking good for this weekend.

11/29 Report: 7.8 fow. 48 walleyes from 12:30 to dark between 16"-23". Best bite was between 1:30 and 3. Dead stick was hot with far head and orange circle hook. Purple smelt frostee spoon with minnow head. The water is clearer this year so I have opted for a 3 foot flouro leader on the jigging rod. The fish are podded up chasing around bait that runs 3 feet off the bottom. Most fish are not seen on the graph as they are coming through very fast and aggressive.

The bite has slowed today considerably best advice is to get away from the noise and traffic and success will be found!

Heading up in two weeks, wondering what size fliers, buckshots, darters, any other spoons we should be using. Also should we use flurocarban or wire leaders for northens on tipups. thanx

Just got back, fabulous bite yesterday for us on the east side out from bear paw and hillmans in 7 feet on the break.today was a little slower probably due to all the noise

but still very good including a nice fat 26 incher. Mid afternoon seemed to be the best times both days with a plain hook and fathead out producing everything else for us anyway.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Mid day was dandy for us also. Gold angel eye was dandy. When they hit it was bam!

Fished out of Rodgers yesterday. Got out late missed the best and struggled only catching 4 box fish and a slot. Also picked up 2 northerns and a perch. Went to Westwind and had them prepare our fish and stayed at Beacons for the night. Decided to fish over here this morning and limited out by 8am. Also have throw a ton back including a 30" pike. The water seems to be a little clearer over here or maybe it was just the fact that we able to get out right away this morning? Either way it worked out.

Fished from 11-4 out of Beacon Harbor 9 fow. We kept our 2 limits of walleye. We caught 20 or so total. The biggest was 22". Slender spoons and red hook under bobber were most productive. ATV travel was ok no slush, 10+" of ice.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

thx for the report, how far out is it to that depth up there. I'm a walker. smile

I always suspected there were walkers on Red Lake. That's why I always sleep light and keep some zombie gear on me.

Fished out of rogers in 10.5 ft of water in one of up north rentals fishhouses. We caught 12 walleye and 2 northern. Most fish came on set line with red hook and shiner minnow. We probably missed 8 fish too. Had a 24 and a 21.

Some of our guests fished Red this weekend; best bite for them was mid afternoon (One set of two limited in an hour, great bite!). Yesterday a dead stick was the best, but today jigging with a jig or Swedish pimple tipped with a minnow head worked the best. Some were fishing at the 8 foot depths, some at 12, but the fish cleaning shack was busy tonight! The ones that went out of JR's said that from the numerous vehicles going down the road at a pretty good clip with the wheel houses yesterday had caused a break so the road was rerouted and he was working on putting a bridge up. Pretty consistant report of the ice thickness being 10-14" Be sure to check with the access owners before heading out on the lakes to see what they are recommending for what weight of vehicle to take out-some are saying up to 1/2 ton others are saying full size

Fished out of JR's on Saturday. We were fishing by 8am and set up in 10ft of water. Started missing fish immediatly and continued to miss fish throught the morning hahaha. I guess I forgot how to set the hook since last year and lost a lot of fish at the bottom of the hole. Finally got the hang of it at 11am and went on a tear. all fish we kept were from 15-19.5 inches. Threw back about 10-12 13inchers also. I had the best luck catching larger fish on a Glow Red Lindy Rattling flyer with a full fathead minnow hooked through the lips. It seemed like the fish would just sit and watch the minnow moving around and if I gave it a little twitch they would come up and smack it. Had 2 other fish on that felt very nice but they came unbuttoned before we seen them. Also my buddy added a little structure to the bottom of the lake tossing down his iphone, don't worry he caught the fish he was after.

Fishing south side of lake in 8 fow. Only 2 bites in daylight yesterday, landed both 16-17inches. From sundown yesterday to sunrise today had a bite every hour on deadsticks 6" off bottom landing half.

Managed 5 keepers since noon yesterday.

In summary slow bite for my Red Lake experiance/expectations. Will be moving to 10 fow at 10am.

4 of us fished Sunday afternoon in 10' of water out of Rogers. Had one bite, one fish. Not sure what was going on but thought maybe the warm front moving in Monday am had something to do with it??? Fished a couple miles East of Rogers on Monday. Found 11.5 FOW and it was fish on. Not sure if the warmer overcast day did it, or being 1/4 mile from the closest shack. Caught fish lots on fatheads and larger fish on small shiners. In the am set line was better and from noon to 3 anything gold and rattling worked best. Good luck.

• The title was changed to 2020 - Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports (URL)