• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 - Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports (URL)

Rick

We were thinking of it. I was just curious as to if I should bring should I go.

Ahhh, the age old question...should I bring the extension. Right up there with the meaning of life. I'm in the camp of "don't bring it". The worst that could happen is, you get all the way up there and cant fish. On the other hand, if you bring it, theres a chance you could blow out your tires on the drive up from all the extra weight. Its a question for the ages.... make your decision, then never look back.

Sorry, I'm the resident smart alek.

It all depends if you are set up ontop of a big ice heave, if you have a hard house or portable, etc. Last week we were on top of an ice heave in a hard house and were able to get through all the holes with one extension but had to lift the lid on the bottom bunk to get through that hole. I would guess that they are not making much more new ice up there and one extension should be good.

I put together a short video on youtube fishing out of Kelly & Jonny P's house from Beacon Harbor Resort Feb 8-10, 2013:

Schools would move through every couple of hours, fish were caught jigging and on rattle reels. Red, gold and green seemed to produce best, but presentation wasn't that particular. Jumbo perch were also active and they were good hook cleaners if you weren't paying attention. My teenage boys learned that the hard way and missed a few when they were playing games instead of checking their lines.

Tom

Northfield, MN

Sleepless Dad,

That's a great video, looks like you and the boys had a great time. My annual trek to Red got preempted due to family priorities so I have to get my fix reading the forum. Sitting here at work, late afternoon, I almost liked the screen when I saw the fresh cooked fillets

Take care, maybe next year we can do a trip together

Had a great time fishing out of Rogers with Up North Rentals. Justin and Jane did a great job and worked very hard to make sure all had a good time. The weather blizzard got us thinking we were going to be stuck stuck, but Justin plowed his arse off, and in the end everything successful. And for the fishing, WOW, rattle reels worked the best, but also got a few jiggin. My lady and I iced over 30 eyes, 3 pike and a some perch in two nights fishing (Sunday Night & Monday Night). Big eye was 17.5", pike was 32", caught many little eyes, but ended up with our 8, 2 bonus pike, and a nice perch to bring home. Love Red!!!

6DC26572-6E52-423B-9907-637DFE40F4B1-266

65C26824-4599-4934-8714-EF43CC38C5EF-266

705603EC-2D12-4121-A5FD-1EB461827B06-266

Thats very good to hear that report, we are going through him this coming weekend and coulndt be more excited to end the walleye season with a bang!

not picking on any one but that is not the way to take care of your catch. the dnr can not measure them if there froze like that. Find a old cooler feel with lake water works great keeps them alive for days.

Only thing we forgot was a bucket or cooler to pack these in, thanks fr the reminder though cookie. Biggest eye was 17.5" and pike were 22"ers, not to close to the slot, but defin a great reminder. Had to wait hrs for these fish to thaw out for cutting. See ya soon

I absolutely love the pic of the fish sticking out of the snow! That is a prize-winning photo if I've ever seen one. laugh

We fished out of a Westwind's sleeper Friday through Sunday morning. Ended up catching around 30 walleyes with the biggest being 17". No big fish, but lots of nice eaters. We were three miles out in 11' of water. The hottest bait was a small pink Frostee jigging spoon with a minnow head. Caught some fish on plain red hooks and shiners under rattle reels as well. Had a few pike come through on Saturday afternoon and break our lines.

We lost a lot of fish too. Set the hook on them and got them to the bottom of the hole and they came unbuttoned. Probably could have had around 45 had we landed every fish.

Westwinds did a great job and the 10x20 deluxe we rented was perfect for four guys. Great trip to close out the walleye season!

• 2 months later...

We hit the main lake and we didn't even bother going near the river - we slaughtered them to the south. That was probably my best fishing trip in MN that I've ever had, number wise.

Mainly 14" - 20" with some 23's. Jig, fathead and a mr twister body. Green/yellow/orange just killed them, even without a minnow.

It was cool seeing 2,3,4 walleyes follow up all the way up to the surface the one you had on the line.

Agreed. Fishing has been good even though the weather is terrible. They did shut off today around 3 as most boats moving around trying to figure it out but oh well just being on the water was nice. I did have a hog on 3 times using a large shiner sitting on the bottom, same spot. Wish she would have cooperated but just couldn't get it to the boat!

Just got back from fishing Thursday-Sunday. with 4 kids 4-12

We navigated the armada at the river mouth each day, and fished both south and north shore, and caught fish everywhere. A yellow crappie tube jig with a fathead about 4 feet down from a bobber worked the best, we didn't go more than 5-10 minutes without a fish at any point. Crazy good fishing, keep it simple!

Got back last night from another success fishing trip on URL. Friday and Saturday were better days to be out on the lake. We mainly fished north of the river up by Beacons Harbor in 6-10ft jigging a yellow/orange jig head tipped with a fathead and caught all the walleyes that we wanted. We drifted along until we found them and then anchored. Eat fish Friday and Saturday night and managed to bring back a nice limit of fish. Next trip up will be in a couple of weeks.

A little different today as the smaller fish were on a tear but the 20+ were hard to find. Saw quite a few boats out in deeper water but didn't see the nets come out too often. The bite still seems to be in 4-5ft range and when the schools move through it is crazy good fishing. Hoping by the weekend the bigger fish will be more active!

Heading up there Saturday. A few of my buddy's went up last week and did really good. I'm just wondering which shore seems to be producing the most fish the east by the tamarack, the north shore, or the south shore? Any info would be appreciated thanks!!

When we were checked by the COs last Saturday they said as long as you were fishing near the shore break you would catch fish. It didn't matter what part of the lake. We fished from 5-7 feet and did very well. I thought the bite 2 years ago was amazing, which it was, but this year was absolutely incredible.

One thing I have learned from fishing Red over Memorial Week for the last 9 years is that if you get consistent low wind and frontal activity the fishing will be unbelievable. But if the wind wips that lake bottom up and fronts change frequently then it can be very tough. (which I think is amazing given the amount of walleye in that lake for the last 10 years).

The forcast says consistent winds out of the south/southeast for the next week. I would think the fishing will be bonkers if that holds. And you would be plain silly to sit in tamarack when you could have a whole school to yourself.

I don't get there until next friday and it is killing me.

BUt I am fishing winni satrting saturday until next friday so I don't feel too bad. laugh

Walleyemaster. Anywhere on the last break....north, east and south will produce. Just remember that in 4 to 5 ft of water it only takes one boat cruising by to shut them down. Stay away from the crowds and you will be just fine. Good luck!

A great weekend of fishing. We fished Friday and Sunday. We bobber fished/jigged the 4-7 foot area and trolled 6 to 13 feet with stickbaits. Trolling was the top producer for us putting 12 to 15 fish per hour in the boat. We caught a few of the slot walleye trolling out by the cribs but we didn't have as much luck out there.It didn't seem to matter what color or brand of stick because every lure we put out got hit. We had a bunch of doubles while trolling.

Were you running the sticks on the downriggers or long lining plugs?

We didnt use the down riggers this weekend. They were all long lined, we tried to use sticks that dove 2 feet shallower than the depth we were fishing.

• The title was changed to 2020 - Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports (URL)