• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Official Vikings Offseason Thread!

FISHINGURU

i'd welcome sage..at this point anything is better then what we got..

I take it you missed the game where he single handedly lost the game to the Colts due to his God-aweful play! He's a bumb!

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FISHINGURU

• Scott K

• zepman

• Jim Panfish Uran

naw i seen that game..they weren't even in the game without him to begin with...he tried to hard and made a mistake or two...if he would of held on to the ball they would of won because of him.

lets get real for a minute...for what we will get him for is worth a shot...sorry to break it to everyone we just aren't gonna be able to get a stellar qb this year...there's none available.

sage is smarter then t-awesome and more mobile then gus...he's probably more reliable then both.

the facts are its gonna be easier for any qb we can get to play for our team then the team they came from....our running game is one of the best in the league and after we patch up our oline that is one of the better olines in the game....alot of single coverage which most teams don't get to see...andre johnson from the texans is doubled or tripled every play.

i wouldn't totally rule out the vikes trading for a guy like sage and still signing another veteran qb like garcia.

i'd like to see us add tj or marv to go along with a new qb...i know you guys will say marv is washed up but he could be a very solid possesion reciever still...marv still has his hands just not quite the deep threat he used to be...similar to what chris carter used to be for us.

its gonna be fun thurs/fri morning at midnight to see if ol zigy is picking up some of these players on the jet to fly into town.

here's an article from a texas reporter

At one point last season, Sage Rosenfels asked Gary Kubiak to stop cursing him out every time he made a mistake.

Rosenfels tried to make his coach understand that cursing him wasn’t going to make him play better. Nor was it going to make him play harder. It was only going to make him mad.

Kubiak agreed. And stopped. Instead of losing his temper, he worked harder at explaining things to his backup quarterback.

That Kubiak would attempt to change tells you he held Rosenfels in high regard. It also tells you they must have had some interesting discussions in their three years together.

Theirs was a tense relationship at times. When they met after last season, Kubiak told him: “You and I have got a lot to talk about.”

Kubiak made it clear he wanted Rosenfels on his team. Less clear is whether Rosenfels wanted to be back.

After the 2007 season, he had asked Kubiak to trade him or allow him to compete for the starting job with the Texans.

“It wasn’t the best thing for our football team,” Kubiak said later. “I was upfront with Sage about that.”

So he didn’t trade Rosenfels because he simply was too valuable as a backup. He also didn’t allow him to compete with Matt Schaub because he didn’t want any uncertainty at quarterback.

How’s that for a tough career chat? No, Sage, you’re not leaving. No, Sage, you’re not playing.

Rosenfels reported to training camp less than thrilled with his plight, but it’s a tribute to his professionalism that he never uttered a discouraging word even though I offered him numerous opportunities.

I might have pushed him in that direction a time or two. Rosenfels said it wouldn’t be the best thing for the football team.

Putting team first

I pointed out it would be good for the newspaper industry, and don’t we all deserve a career break?

Instead of complaining, he practiced hard, played hard and kept his mouth shut. He also got paid $1.35 million, which is a good way to soothe ruffled feathers.

I’m guessing Kubiak doesn’t want to trade Rosenfels this time, either, because Matt Schaub has started and finished just 17 of his 32 games.

It’s unreasonable to think Schaub suddenly will become an iron man.

But Kubiak seems likely to trade Rosenfels this time, probably to the Minnesota Vikings.

It might not be the best thing for the Texans this time, either, but it’s the right thing to do.

The Vikings will allow Rosenfels to compete with Tarvaris Jackson for the starting job, and it’s time for him to get a real shot.

He’ll celebrate his 31st birthday next week and is about to begin his ninth NFL season. He has started just 12 games in eight years.

His window might not be closing, but it’s not going to remain open forever.

Here’s hoping the Vikings know how lucky they might be about to get.

They’re getting a really smart guy, a really competitive guy and a guy who has shown he’s good enough to win games.

He has never done it consistently, but then again, he has never had the opportunity the Vikings can give him.

The Vikings have all the other major pieces in place. Rosenfels won’t be asked to just manage the game because that’s a fallacy.

He’ll have more talent around him than he has had at any time in his career. If he’s going to make it, this is his chance.

Once the Texans signed Schaub to a $48 million contract, Rosenfels was slotted as the backup, and that was that.

He could have made things interesting when he got the Texans within five minutes of an upset of the Colts. When he was unable to finish that one off, Kubiak got Schaub back in the saddle as quickly as possible.

Let’s be clear about this. Rosenfels isn’t getting a raw deal. Schaub probably is better. He’s younger, stronger, and when he has been good, he has been really, really good. If he can stay healthy, he and Kubiak have a chance to do special things together.

Texans can gamble

The Texans will have interesting options. They’ll shop for a veteran, but they might also draft a young quarterback.

In a perfect world, they would get one capable of running some wildcat formations as a rookie.

In a really perfect world, they would get a guy just like Sage Rosenfels.

A guy that gets it in every sense of the word.

Quote:
Vikings DTs Pat and Kevin Williams will be in court on June 15 to state their case against the NFL's four-game suspensions for violating the substance abuse policy.

The Williams Wall has one more pretrial date (May 14) to file any motions before the actual trial. The Williamses tested positive for a "masking agent" for steroids last year, but say the ingredient was not listed on the bottle. Their argument is good and we'd guess they'll be fine for Week 1.

Fishingguru, that is a pretty good article. I think this will be a good move for the Vikes. I also think He could be good for our young QB's (Jackson and Booty). He can teach them alot. I hope it all works out. This could be an interesting season for the Vikes.

thanks jigging matt,

here's another article telling what we might do about our o-line concerns...Jason Brown. Also talks about maybe a guy like Mccalister at corner....i'm down with either of these moves.

By numerous accounts, the Vikings flew below the proverbial radar in Indianapolis, following an ethos of coach Brad Childress and vice presidents Rob Brzezinski and Rick Spielman.

The Vikings weren't on the tip of the tongues of agents and NFL coaches, personnel executives and scouts in Indianapolis, where the NFL combine concluded Tuesday, and little buzz surrounded the purple.

But the most high-profile player the Vikings could make a run at is guard-center Jason Brown of the Baltimore Ravens.

Two NFL sources said that was the scuttlebutt about the Vikings making the rounds in Indianapolis.

Brown, a young star in the making, with plenty of experience and upside, fits the mold established by Childress and company.

Brown

Quarterback Joe Flacco #5 of the Baltimore Ravens takes a snap from center Jason Brown #60 against the Miami Dolphins in an NFL Wildcard Playoff Game at Dolphins Stadium on January 4, 2009 in Miami, Florida. (Getty Images: Al Messerschmidt)is just 25 years old; he is versatile, with 45 NFL starts at guard and center; and he is of high character, active in the Ravens' community efforts.

The Vikings may have shifted their focus to Brown after right tackle Jordan Gross signed a lucrative six-year contract to remain with the Carolina Panthers last Thursday.

But the Vikings could have plenty of competition for Brown. Given the aforementioned reasons, especially his versatility, Brown could have many options later this week. He also would be expensive.

It is believed he wants a better deal than Jeff Faine, a center who signed a six-year, $37.5 million contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last offseason that included $15 million in guarantees, and he covets a deal that

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pays him more like a guard. Last season, former Pittsburgh Steeler Alan Faneca signed a five-year, $40 million contract with the New York Jets that included $21 million in guarantees.

If the Vikings don't land Brown, one intriguing possibility could be Jeff Saturday, formerly of the Indianapolis Colts. Saturday, 33, is older than Vikings veteran Matt Birk, but he could provide leadership and more time for John Sullivan (a sixth-round pick last year out of Notre Dame) to develop.

NFL rules prohibit team officials from speaking with the agents of free-agent players before free agency opens at 11 p.m. Thursday. But team officials and agents often have preliminary discussions at the NFL Combine and then unofficially plan visits a day or two before free agency.

The Vikings are about $30 million under the $123 million salary cap, and they must spend at least $13 million to fulfill the league-mandated salary cap minimum.

Of their unrestricted free agents, the Vikings are expected to make the biggest push to re-sign tight end Jim Kleinsasser. Safety Darren Sharper and center Matt Birk have Pro Bowl credentials, but neither is believed to be a priority for the Vikings. Kleinsasser, meanwhile, could draw interest from a handful of teams, given his reputation as one of the league's top pass-blocking tight ends.

While his preference is to remain with the Vikings, Kleinsasser is open to playing elsewhere. The Jacksonville Jaguars, where former Vikings head coach Mike Tice is an assistant, is believed to be interested.

Birk is expected to draw interest because at least a third of the teams in the league could be in the market for a center. Sharper also shouldn't have a problem getting a job, perhaps landing in New Orleans or Chicago.

While the Vikings agreed to terms with Charles Gordon on a one-year contract Tuesday, cornerback could be a point of emphasis in free agency or the draft. Gordon is still recovering from a broken leg suffered in November, and former third-round pick Marcus McCauley has been a disappointment. In addition, contracts for starters Antoine Winfield and Cedric Griffin expire after the 2009 season.

Given the expensive contracts given to cornerbacks — Nnamdi Asomugha signed a three-year contract that guaranteed him $28.5 million in the first two years — the Vikings could do some bargain shopping in the second phase of free agency.

One intriguing player is Chris McAlister, a three-time Pro Bowl selection released by the Ravens earlier in the offseason. He is known for his physical play but has been dogged with injuries the past two seasons.

And if the price is right, the Vikings could be in the market for a defensive and/or offensive tackle.

With Pat Williams and Kevin Williams facing possible four-game suspensions, as well as Pat Williams turning 37 during the season, the Vikings could use some depth at one of their positions of strength. As for offensive tackle, the Vikings would like to upgrade, most likely through the draft.

Stacy Andrews (Cincinnati Bengals), Khalif Barnes (Jaguars), Marvel Smith (Pittsburgh Steelers), Jon Stinchcomb (New Orleans Saints), Mark Tauscher (Green Bay Packers) and Tra Thomas (Philadelphia Eagles) are among the top free agents available at offensive tackle.

Vikings sign Gordon: The Vikings agreed to terms with cornerback Charles Gordon on a one-year contract that could be worth up to $1.03 million.

Gordon was the Vikings' third cornerback until he severely injured his ankle Nov. 9, 2008, in a 28-27 victory over Green Bay at the Metrodome.

Gordon told the Pioneer Press after the season that he would "definitely" be ready by training camp.

"We're on schedule," he said, "but we aren't rushing anything."

Gordon suffered the injury returning a punt. Gordon officially started two of the nine games in which he played last season, although he saw significant time because he was the nickel cornerback. He played in all 16 games in 2008, with three starts.

It is believed his base salary is about $530,000, with a chance to earn up to another $500,000 in playing-time incentives. That total is close to the lowest restricted free agent tender, which is worth $1.01 million.

The contract benefits both sides, protecting the Vikings in the event Gordon doesn't make a full recovery and allowing Gordon to avoid locking himself into a subpar, long-term deal because of his health.

WE definitely need work on the line, if they can't get Birk to come back we should go after a guy like Brown. People forget how important the o-line is. Sage hasn't proven anything except that he is an average if that, QB. Hopefully with Adrian suckin in the safety's and crowding the box he has the cajones to make a few passes that Jackson just wouldn't throw. It seems as if he was just so scared to make a mistake that he wouldn't even throw some of the "riskier" passes. And let's face it, his down field accuracy was horrible. I don't see us paying high dollar for TJ, we'll probably end up with the same recieving core and hopefully they can improve. I also see that our ex FB richardson will be a free agent, let's face it Tapeh was a waste, and Tahi isn't much. Kleinsasser is a heck of a blocker, let's sign him back I'm sure it won't take much. This is a good time of year for football fans, let's hope the Vikings have another good off season.

McAlister brings nothing to the table for us. He is older, slower and more injury prone therefore would likely give us nothing of value.

Stinchcomb would be a nice upgrade for Cook.

Brown will be very expensive. Probably the hottest name out there as far as offensive linemen go.

i wouldn't mind if we signed birk and still went after brown...he's a guard/center hybrid that excels at either position.

i hear ya on sage but he hasn't had much opportunity to prove what he can do...he got a raw deal in miami and in texas when they spent big bucks on shaub...good thing is shaub gets hurt alot so he has some good experience....this will be his best oppourtunity of his career by far...not many qb's get to play with a running game like ours and a mean D that backs you up.

its a safe move for the vikes...he could end up being the answer but if not he's a heck of a back up...the draft pick and price is cheap....he could be that guy that just never got a fair chance and comes to a team like ours and gets the job done.

the things i like about him is he's tall at 6'4, has accuracy, a nice deep ball arm, and he'll take chances...he's not to young but he's not to old...turning 31 in march....he'll thread the needle and try to make some plays...good at rolling out...he'll fit our style pretty nicely...i'm sure thats why the vikes have wanted him for the past couple years.

the bad is he tries to hard to make some big plays sometimes and throws pics or fumbles...and he hasn't been "the guy" ever.

anyway here's some highlight footage of him...good and bad

http://www.truveo.com/WK-5-Sage-Rosenfels-highlights/id/1460220372

http://www.truveo.com/WK-9-Sage-Rosenfels-highlights/id/2622622471

http://www.truveo.com/Week-15-Sage-Rosenfels-highlights/id/3980362573

http://www.truveo.com/Pre-WK-1-Sage-Rosenfels-highlights/id/1563379257

lavernues coles is a free agent now...he wouldn't be a bad upgrade to our WR core...if money is a concern i'm sure he'd come cheaper the TJ.

Dang I usually keep on top of this free agency stuff but I havent put in the time to do so...must be in ice house to much lately! After listening to PA the last few weeks though I think its critical the vikes sign Kleinsasser as he is unqiue and brings great blocking skills to go with decent to good hands for the QB to dump the ball off too. Birk will end up elsewhere cuz some scrub team like the Rams will offer him a deal he can't refuse and the vikes won't be willing to match...plus his old offensive line coach Steven Loney was recently hired to coach in St. Louis, and hes still in the midwest close to the Cities. Sharper would be nice to resign but for what price and why did we draft the kid out of Arkansas State then last year.

Also I wont be heart broken if Birk or Shaper sign else where they both didnt produce well this year and are getting up in age.... you can tell Birk is not the animal he use to be and alot slower (doesn't pull anymore since his surgerys) and sharper had what one pick all year?

The Brown guy out of Baltimore sounds great but at what cost? We already sunk millions into jared allen, mckinnie, hutch, kevin & pat williams and berrian. If you stick money into brown you could have the highest paid offensive line in 2 years down the road and I think AP will demand high dollar by then? I agree the vikes are so close and need to win now more than ever with stadium issues and players are getting older to on the roster. Id be comfortable with signing Jeff Saturday to play center, and go after Stinchcomb, Tra Thomas or Tauscher to play RT cuz Cook stinks, and I'm not a big fan of McKinnie either but the vikes have him locked up for years and arent about to cut him. If the vikes can sign those players and then go after a corner and WR they will be in good shape. Draft wise they should look at DT as for depth and youth or go after best player overall at our drafting position (see who falls). I'm not a fan of drafting a defensive back high up in the draft unless they are the next Ed Reed.

I think the Vikes are a TJ Haush, and a few small pieces from a SB. If the Vikes had a powerfull passing game to go with their running, not to mention their defence. They would be tough to beat! But I go into almost every season with high hopes.

i'm gettin kinda nervous now lol...all these free agents have like 3-5 teams by their names in some articles with the interested teams....only one the vikes is by is saturdays...brown wasn't on the list though.

sage is pretty much a done deal it sounds like..they will probably announce it tonight at midnight...since we went chinsy on qb we better make a big splash into free agency with other needed positions.

they say the teams chasing TJ the most are 49ers, dolphins, eagles, titans, ravens and seahawks.

LETS GO VIKES MAKE SOME MOVES...FLY IN SOME GUYS ON THE JET AND WINE N DINE THEM.

Quote:
VIKES’ INTEREST IN BROWN COULD MEAN BIRK WON’T BE BACK

Posted by Mike Florio on February 26, 2009, 12:40 p.m.

Less than 12 hours before the free-agent market opens, veteran Vikings center Matt Birk still isn’t signed.

And with Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reporting that the Vikings are interested in Ravens center Jason Brown, this could mean that Birk won’t be back.

Jenson writes that, despite recent efforts to work out a new deal with Birk, the 11-year veteran from Harvard isn’t considered a priority.

As reported by Albert Breer of SportingNews.com at the PFT “break glass in case of hamster-related emergency” site, the Ravens have recently informed Brown that he’s not in their plans for 2009.

i'd rather have brown then birk personally but it would be nice to have them both.

this weather isn't lookin to good for the free agents we plan on flying into town tonight lol.

Brown is way better than Birk at this point in their careers. Every team with o-line issues is interested in Brown. He's gonna get a big payday and probably not from the Vikes. We'll sign one of the second tier lineman. Stinchcomb or Tauscher(sp).

Saturday wants to play for the Steelers and TJHoush will play on one of the coasts(Giants,Seahawks,49ers,Eagles).

If Rosenfels does sign here, and it sure looks like he's going to, he will be the starting Q-back this Fall.. All the talk about a "fair" competition is just that...talk. I like the move and now I hope we get him 1-2 more weapons to use. Let the games begin.

TJhoush just said he'd like to play for the Vikings! He likes the idea of playing with AP.

I'm not gonna hold my breath though.

What about Coles?? Tj would be nice if he wasn't so darn expensive, he's interested in purple though.

Washington isn't worth what he'll command on the market. He's Berrian with bad hands.

I didn't mean that Washington is who I wanted us to get. I meant that if we get a WR, I think that's who we'll end up with.

Little rumor going around that TJ will be in town tomorrow. I don't have a link yet. Let ya know if anything can be confirmed.

Wadinator- Gotcha. You could very well be right. Though I hope not.

I'm hoping we sign a right tackle in free agency and then draft a wr(Britt,Nicks) and cornerback(Butler,Smith). Could also use a guy who can take over punt and kick returns(7th round specialist).

LETS GO VIKES..i haven't seen anything about him coming to town...but i do know his agent was talking to us back and forth with seattle.

he was on his way to seattle earlier today but said he'd love to play with peterson last night on nfl live in a phone interview...he said something like he'd get open 98.6% of the time with single coverage because of AP...he told his agent to call us and say he's very interested in playing here.

HERE WE GO VIKINGS HERE WE GO!!!!! i bet if he does make it to town he won't be leaving without being signed...if i was chilly i'd want him bad this is chilly's last year unless we do big things..the addition of TJ would make sage's job look way easier and make it look like a smart move.

I'm still trying to confirm the rumor. So far I've heard him say he'd like to play here. I haven't heard if we're interested in bringing him in.

Ahhhhhh!! Rumors!!