• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Official Vikings Offseason Thread!

FISHINGURU

For the #12 pick the VIKES pick.......the best player available for safety, olb ,or de.....an impact guy like Polamalu, Mathews, Joey Browner, etc. Then in round 2 get WR Hankerson if possible(look at his videos, wow), even though we have enough numbers there, he makes spectacular catches. Time to make some of the young guys, that have been around the team a couple years earn their roster spot. We have OL, DL, CB, FB players on that list. That's why I think we have to strengthen Safety, DE, OLB mostly in later rounds, while still look for the "diamonds in the rough" anywhere. It is hard to imagine the difficulty in drafting guys for your team, with all other teams looking for the same things.

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FISHINGURU

• Scott K

• zepman

• Jim Panfish Uran

I'd still take Quinn if he were there at 12.

I like Robison alot...glad he'll be around.

All I want in this off season is Asomugha!! Same guy I've wanted us to get the past couple seasons. We'd finally have a true shutdown #1 corner on this team, I'm thinkin Leslie would like that.

Asomugha in free agency. Offensive line first round. QB second round. WR third round and we are on our way to a competitive team.

Asomugha in free agency. Offensive line first round. QB second round. WR third round (providing we trade down and obtain a 3rd round pick)and we are on our way to a competitive team.

Sign Asomugha in FA. Trade down in the first to get some picks back. Get Palmer in a trade, draft O-line end of 1st, Dalton in the 2nd. Use remaining picks to fill holes and add depth.

How bout Cheddar Bob Burress? Where do you think he'll land?

I'd give him a shot for cheap, no pun intended!

I have a "hunch" that the Vikes won't make many moves in FA this year. Maybe resign Ramsey for a QB mentor type, and work the tail off these young QBs. Webb, Bomar, 1 drafted, and 1 or more as undrafted FA QBs. That may not be the most popular move, but it would help eliminate the "boom or bust" cycle of so many first round QBs.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking more and more we will target a pass-catching TE. If Frazier wants to feature Peterson, we need another TE for the power game. Put Kliensasser in as FB, draft our version of Refrigerator Perry for goal lines. Much more effective with 2 TEs who can catch the ball.

Yeah a bomb TE would be nice, Shanks is good but he ain't no Gates. I'd agree 2 TE's would be stellar, kind of like what they are doing in NE.

Kleiny is probably better then Tahi at FB also, Kleiny can also catch and take it up the field. Maybe we should sign Fat Pat for cheap and move him to goaline FB lol, he's a big boy that can move.

Take a look at video highlights of Blaine Sumner from the Colorado School of Mines. Does he look good....or is it just because of his competition?

I wondered about the guys we drafted last year. We still have them all, except LB Triplett, and TE Schuler. Schuler made the team, but was then let go to sign BASKET(ouch). He is now on the Dolphins team, and we need a TE. Triplett was released, but is now on the Colts team, and we need an OLB. Triplett couldn't have filled that position for us, so 6 out of 7 draftees isn't too bad I guess. New England has so many draft picks they can't use them all, without releasing some good players. I would keep my eye on their waivers.

Schuler's release will be a mistake much like the Rosenfels/Renauld trade was. IMO, Schuler may end up being the best pro out of the entire Viking's class last year. We'll have to wait and see but right now there isn't a whole lot of competition...it was a bad class IMO.

Chilly's such an [PoorWordUsage].

The Vikes get 1 6th and 1 7th round compensatory draft pick. Doesn't seem "team changing", but I think it can help the depth. A draft pick is better than an undrafted free agent, because you have control of them. A UDFA can pick and choose which team he goes to. Lets find a Randle clone, or Romo clone (McElroy?)

Add Devlin to possible late round QBs. One thing that just hit me today.....How would your draft picks change if you knew we would be playing in an OUTDOOR stadium in the cold most of the time? Less speed? draft from colder colleges only? draft WR for more blocking, less for homerun ability?

I still remember ,in past years, the Vikes playing the RAMS here outside in the playoffs. Rams had more talent...were a better team(in warm environment)...except when they had to play in the cold and snow. We may have to draft tougher guys to have an advantage.

Rams????? or Cowboys? Vikings haven't played outside since early 80'so my guess would be Cowboys.

Players adapt to the conditions.

Look at the teams that have won the super bowl for the last decade.

Rams,Balt,N.E,Bucs,NE,NE,Pit,Ind,NYG,Pit,NO,GB.

So of the last twelve ,4 have been warm weather teams, 3 played in domes and one played outside.

The losers of the last twelve have 5 teams that play out side in the cold and 7 that play in domes or outside in warm weather.

I would take a cold weather outdoor club over a warm weather or indoor club anytime v.s the other.

GOOD LUCK.

I definitely remember the Rams.....Bud Grant, No sideline heaters (on the Vikes side),Met stadium..... :)(I know my age is showing). The thing is the COLD gets in players heads..............

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:
The Vikings are expected to move away from the West Coast offense under new offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave, according to Tom Pelissero of ESPN 1500 Twin Cities.

Adam Caplan of Fox Sports expressed a similar sentiment in a Thursday chat. Musgrave noted at his introductory press conference that he would keep elements of the WCO intact, but he's expected to mimic Mike Mularkey's Atlanta offense, incorporating more of a deep passing game to complement a strong ground attack. Kevin Kolb won't be a good fit in Minnesota because he's more of a system QB in need of the West Coast scheme.

Here's a question for you guys to PONDER.....Spielman said something about "thinking outside the box" in trying to get the guys we want. What does that mean to you? Any ideas?

I looked at the two teams drafting right before us, and their mocks have a LOT of the same guys on it that our mocks do......that can't be good.

I'm more of an "in the box" thinker....any "out of the box" thinkers out there with ideas????????

This was just ridiculous enough to be true...

I heard Sid on on Sunday morning talking about the Vikings draft needs and where he thought they would draft...He thinks we will target a QB in the 2nd round, and the guy that they ar really high on right now is Adam Webber. Then Sid rambled on like he does and after a few questions from callers and his co-host, he said that if Webber is there in the 5th that the Vikings would preobably grab him there....then went onto say that Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round and he had less college experience and look how that turned out....blah blah blah...

So, Sid NEEDS to retire. First off saying that Webber would be a good fit here, and then comparing him to Tom Brady?

Did anyone else hear this?

I think Webber would be a good fit! He would fit in with all of the other looser Qb's we have grin