• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Official Vikings Offseason Thread!

FISHINGURU

Quote:

Vikings signed CB Lito Sheppard to a one-year, $2 million contract.

Sheppard, 29, finished last season with 31 tackles, one interception, and eight pass breakups. While he fills a need should be an upgrade in dime sets over Karl Paymah, Sheppard is highly injury prone and inconsistent in coverage. The Vikings will be in trouble if he's forced to make spot starts.

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FISHINGURU

• Scott K

• zepman

• Jim Panfish Uran

I'm not high on Sheppard, but he'll give us a little depth. It's hard to believe he's worth 2 mil.

I think the Tevow rumors are a smokescreen. However if the Vikings take Tebow, I hope they let him sit and learn for no less than 2 years before he plays. A lot of QBs are ruined by being forced to play before they're ready.

If we take Tebow, it better not be until the 3rd round, he just isnt good enough, and is way over hyped! Even he knows he wont be drafted in the 1st round, that is why he isnt even bothering going to the draft tonight.

Sheppard is a solid signing...he's a two time pro-bowler but hasn't played up to that level recently. A change of scenery sometimes will bring the best out of a player again. Either way, we needed another veteran c-back for depth.

I wouldn't be suprised to see the Vikes go linebacker in the 1st tonight. I think we'll get a good indication how the Vikes feel about Sullivan/Herrera and Brinkley within the first three rounds. No idea what they'll do. I hope they trade down and pick up an extra 2nd and maybe a 4th or 5th.

I would of us rather picked Tebow then Cook, I think the Vikes wanted Tebow thats why when Denver jumped up to take him we decided to trade our pick.

I also wanted us to get Decker and Denver snaked him too...darn Mcdaniels.

We should sign Faneca if he's willing to play RG. He's still got some game left 33 yrs old isn't the oldest for O-line.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

We already have enough QBs on our roster when Favre is added to the equation. The Vikes had no intention of adding a QB-Tebow. I think getting a CB-Cook was the smartest move. We need a CB NOW.

The Vikes were not going to add Tebow---why have another QB project like T-Jack was laugh

We still have time to get a QB. Who knows, T-Jack or Sage could surprise some of the negative nellies around here in a pinch anyway.

We need a CB now? Then why would we draft one with our first pick to be the 5th or 6th corner on our depth chart? We need O-line more then we need a CB. I doubt he'll beat out our other 5 CB's on the team coming out as a Rookie.

If Denver wouldn't of moved up to draft Tebow he would be a viking right now. He would of came in and beat out Junkson and Sage as soon as he tied his shoes. One year under Favre and work on his mechanics a bit and we would of had a winner, same with Clausen or Mccoy.

LOL,

you're joking right? wink

Let's see, Winfield and Griffen are both coming off injury. Griffen may not be healed enough to be ready for a fulltime role yet. Winfield is old for a CB, slowing down and could be moved to safety when Cook is seasoned enough. Lito Shepard is starting caliber but hardly elite. The other CBs are situational roll players.

With so many question marks with our starters the CB position was the smartest move.

Wilson & McCourty were gone and that is why the Vikes dropped down pure and simple. They could have cared less about adding a 4th QB this year. Especially with next years QB class being so deep. I thank God you are not in charge of the Vikes draft or personnel decisions.

The CB crop was deep this year and there was a run on them in the first two rounds. The DE crop was deep as well (Griffen was a very good pick). The QB crop had ONE legit QB. The rest are projects. That's why they dropped so far in the draft. McDaniels reached for Tebow. He won't be ready for a while if ever. Besides what are you thinking(glad the Vikes aren't)..."take on another project but use a 1st round pick this time rather than the 2nd they used on their last project QB."

It's a no brainer to get a starting quality CB which we needed rather than a 4th QB who is nothing more than a project. We already have the best back-up QBs in the league.

I don't care much for Chili's game calling but I do like how they draft. They're definitely smarter football minds than you are FG - That's why T-Jack is still on the team laugh

I will agree with pretty much everything you said there Rick, but the problem is, we may have the best backups in the NFL, but neither of them are starter material. We need to get a QB of the future groomed and ready to take over this team, if, and when Favre decides to actually retire. Otherwise we are back to what we had 2 years ago.

If they believe T-Jack can't handle it I'm sure they will target a QB next year when the QB draft class is much deeper.

Poor Ricky, no it's not a joke.

Like I said, if we need a CB right NOW so bad to help us win why would we chose Cook? Cook has barely even played at the college level, he was moving appliances at Sears lol. Pull up his stats for me if you can. There's more info on all our other drafted guys then their is for our 1st pick in the draft.

Cook is tall with mediocre speed, gets owned by fast recievers, he does much better goin against taller slower guys that he can jam on the line and play zone which may be the reason he turns out decent for our team because all of the zone we play, but he's not a #1 shutdown corner ready to come in and dominate and get us over the hump at corner. We could of got him later in the draft, we'll see where on the depth chart he is when season starts even with Griffens injury. He'll have to prove he's better then Lito,Asher, and Benny without barely playing college football not to mention Winfield and Griffen if he's healthy. I like his height, tall corners is where its at for covering tall guys, but I don't think he's ready to step on the field and shut down Calvin Johnson, ect.

Thank god I'm not in charge LMMFAO, since I wanted us to trade for Jared Allen when no one else on the site did, Wanted Favre here and wanted us to draft Percy Harvin when most people said he's just a trouble making pothead lol. If I was in charge we'd already have a SB Ring. We would of had one last year when I called a run play and let Longwell do his job for the win.

The difference with your boy Junkson is he was projected to be a 4th-5th round pick and we traded way up to take him in the 2nd, and he's still [PoorWordUsage] to this day what 4-5 yrs later. Thats awesome we have a bunch of back up QB's!! Now which one is a leader and a winner? I figured Tebow would of been drafted end of 1st to mid 2nd. Mcdaniels moving up for Tebow is way better then how we moved up for Junkson, he did spend way to much, but he knew someone was about to take him.

Your boy Junkson can't even fetch us a 3rd round pick, thats pathetic for considering we moved up to take him in the 2nd and he has quite a bit of game time experience, you'd think all those teams that needed a QB would step up and give a measly 3rd for a guy ready to break out lol. Thats why he is still on the team don't get it twisted.

If they believe T-Jack can't handle it I'm sure they will target a QB next year when the QB draft class is much deeper.

'

They (coaches and players) already know TJack can't handle it...enter emergency call to Favre halfway thru camp last year. Can't believe after all that's happened in the last year that some still think TJack is the future here at QB. The writing was on the wall with the 3rd round tender.

Next years crop of QB's could all turn out worse than this years. Remember what everyone was saying about Snead last year at this time. He came out early and went undrafted to Tampa. There will be one or two LEGIT QB's in next years draft like most years...the chances of the Vikes getting one of them is slim to none.

FG,

you also said T-Jack would be gone last year and Sage would be the starter. And here the Vikes are paying him almost $1.2 million to stay this year and a year later to boot. Sage is the third stringer too....hmmmmm FG-real accurate you are smile

since I wanted us to trade for Jared Allen when no one else on the site did, Wanted Favre here and wanted us to draft Percy Harvin when most people said he's just a trouble making pothead. If I was in charge we'd already have a SB Ring.

As for the accuracy of any of your posts, I and many others wanted Allen, Favre and Harvin. Of course in your state of mind you believe you were the only one. They have a name for guys like you grin

If you were in charge GUYS LIKE YOU would be CALLING YOU NAMES and demanding your removal cool

I am glad the Vikes got a CB but since at this time the Vikes do not have a QB, we maybe should have looked for one.

yes we have Farve IF he returns. The other QB's maybe would give the Vikes a 500 season. I cannot believe that the QB's we now have are starting material.

yes we have Farve IF he returns. The other QB's maybe would give the Vikes a 500 season. I cannot believe that the QB's we now have are starting material.

99.9% sure Favre is back, but even if he doesn't come back, our team is still loaded. I say we would win 10 games even with TJack or Sage.

We signed a rookie QB who was the top rated HS player at his position in the nation before he went to LSU.

He has a cannon for an arm, is hyper accurate on long bombs and short passes but inconsistent on the 10-15 yard passes.....do you know who he is?

I was hoping we were going to sign Alan Faneca to shore up the O'Line after the Jets cut him but he's going to Arizona!

I say 11-5 with Favre, and 9-7 with T-Jack/Sage.

Sounds about right. Even with their crazy schedule next year, I'm going to say 12-4 with the old Green&Gold QB.

I was hoping we would sign Faneca too. He's getting long in the tooth, but he could handle the right guard spot for a year or two until the rooke learns to recognize a stunt and a blitz.

We lead the NFL in runs for a loss last year. There is a good reason for that. It's not the plays called, it's not the running back, it's Sullivan and Herrara.

It's not the plays called, it's not the running back, it's Sullivan and Herrara.

+1, and don't forget "3 holds a game" McKinnie. I didn't need another reason to not like the most over-hyped, under-talented OT in NFL history, but after the debacle at the Pro Bowl, I say cut your ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS loss and move on. Is there an "I hate McKinnie" thread going on anywhere, or should I start one?

smile

I will say that Sullivan was quoted by Grand-Favre-er as being "the smartest center I have ever worked with" in terms of calling blocking schemes at the line of scrimmage; but just because you know WHO to block, and HOW to block them, it doesn't mean you CAN block them!

I was hoping we would sign Faneca too. He's getting long in the tooth, but he could handle the right guard spot for a year or two until the rooke learns to recognize a stunt and a blitz.

We lead the NFL in runs for a loss last year. There is a good reason for that. It's not the plays called, it's not the running back, it's Sullivan and Herrara.

I was listening to SIRIUS the other day and 2 vikings callers called in just dragging Sullivan through the mud. Each of these callers on different shows and both callers were told that Sullivan isnt the problem. It was stated that even with Favres success teams will still sell the farm to stop AP. Judging by the teams lack of interest in "upgrading" either position in FA or the draft i think the vikings are just fine with what they have.

A big part of leading the NFL in negative rushes goes right along with what i heard on SIRIUS....DB's on AP's ankles before he can even get a handoff. So does upgrading the OG and C position really do much when teams constantly commit to 8 men in the box and sending DB's off the edge. They still would rather take their chances with the passing game.

Vikings play calling is just too plain obvious...If I know what's comming, I'd sure as hell hope the defense that's been planning to stop me for a week knows it's comming too.

I'm not buying the 8 in box theory. There wasn't nearly as much 8 in the Box last season as in the previous couple. Our line really struggled last year with run blocking.

We need to find a veteran O'linemen just for depth sake.

I'm not buying the 8 in box theory. There wasn't nearly as much 8 in the Box last season as in the previous couple. Our line really struggled last year with run blocking.

We need to find a veteran O'linemen just for depth sake.

I agree!