• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Official Vikings Offseason Thread!

FISHINGURU

Whose this LB we signed? Bears seem like they're putting together a team not on the scale of the Eagles, by signing some name FA's.

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FISHINGURU

• Scott K

• zepman

• Jim Panfish Uran

Xavier Adibi from the Texans, he should add some pretty decent depth. We are pretty scarce at LB depth right now, that should help.

• 5 months later...

On to another off-season, plenty to figure out in the draft, not sure how much salary cap space is available offhand, but I see plenty of holes in the roster! There are some decent names at all of the positions, they can't get all of them but I think they should go after some of them.

Safety

Chris Hope, TEN, UFA

LaRon Landry, WAS, UFA

Brandon Meriweather, CHI, UFA

Wide Receiver

Big crop of UFA receivers this year, but many of them will probably stay with their home teams

Wes Welker, Dwayne Bowe, Marques Colston, Vincent Jackson, DeSean Jackson, Brandon Lloyd, Mario Manningham, Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith (PHI), Stevie Johnson, Early Doucet, Braylon Edwards

Guard

Logan Mankins, NE, UFA

Ben Grubbs, BAL, UFA

Carl Nicks, NO, UFA

Brian Waters, NE, UFA

Jake Scott, TEN, UFA

Tackle

Joe Thomas, CLE, UFA

Jared Gaither, SD, UFA

Jeff Backus, DET, UFA

Defensive Tackle

Albert Haynesworth, TB, UFA

Antonio Garay, SD, UFA

Aubrayo Franklin, NO, UFA

Tommie Harris, SD, UFA

Cornerback

Cortland Finnegan, TEN, UFA

Tracy Porter, NO, UFA

Terrel Thomas, NYG, UFA

Marcus Trufant, SEA, UFA

Linebacker

London Fletcher, WAS, UFA

Curtis Lofton, ATL, UFA

Geno Hayes, TB, UFA

Running back

Even though Peterson expects to play next year, they need a decent backup RB. They can't target the marquee names, they need a sneaky good pick up. I don't have any suggestions, we'll have to see what the market dictates before I start looking for names.

Why do we need a running back at all ? Giants and Patriots were they 31st and 32nd in rushing or was it worse ? Only 4 backs averaged 15 carries or more this season and I don't think any of them played playoff football. These defenses are way to athletic to let a ground attack beat them. They're already projecting a RB that would normally be a high 1st round pick to the 3rd round. The Mike Ditka days of you run the football come playoff time and stop the run are done as the winning formula. Somewhere along the way you need to be able to simply outscore the other team when you need to and have to.

Couple thoughts - serious knee injuries to Gerhart and Peterson make them iffy for 2012, would be nice to get a backup - that was my train of thought.

The NFL is a copy cat league. Passing is popular now and changes to rules in the game favor offenses and passing. However, mark my words, whether it be one year or five, teams will try to put a blueprint together like the 2000 Ravens, with a great secondary and pass rush and a solid running game. You saw the Giants do it with a run game that perked up just in time for the playoffs. I'm not downplaying the importance of a quarterback, that's the most important position still in this league, always has been. But play calls and schemes are about exploiting advantages and trends. Base offenses and defenses and particular play calls go in and out of style. Even if you don't play Madden, you know how popular Cover 2, Zone Blitz, Wildcat, Slant n Go, etc. have been at one time or another over the past decade. With the rule changes, I wouldn't go as far as to call the hot passing of 2011 a fad, but if passing becomes overvalued, someone will find value in doing things differently. Why chase the rest of the league, you'll be chasing for years? That's the problem with this organization being a rudderless ship for so many years.

We should trade our pick to someone with a late 1st pick and get all them additional picks for the trade. Then take that late 1st round pick and use it as 1st round tender for Mike Wallace.

Mike Wallace would be a nice pickup but he is a deep threat guy and needs time to get downfield which the O-line is presently not giving Ponder enough of. If you could get a couple of lineman with the picks from the third spot it makes sense. I really don't think that third spot is going to get you enough as the second spot and RG3 is what the Redskins or Browns are going to be going after. I do agree though that Mike Wallace would look good in purple.

...........and Mike Wallace would play here primarily for the money realizing we're not a playoff team. Actually, maybe that ground game is what we need playing next year at TCF and outdoors I think after that. The NFL has turned into the CFL or arena league ball, it's what the fans want to see high flyin bombs, not ground and pound. Let's go empty backfield lol. I just hate when they say Tom Brady has that play action pass down etc. it's like of course he's gonna pass, give it to woodhead or green ellis 30 times a game, aint happening. The only reason he play actions is because he's in the shotgun so much they want him under center a little bit and he's still gonna throw it. Why'd the Giants win late, their D-Line is all about sacks and brought pressure frequently disrupting the 50 pass attempts so many teams get near that number, if you can't alter the pass they'll kill ya the elite.

• 10 months later...

That time of year again. Should be interesting to see who gets dropped like a bad habit this year and who will replace them. Time to get rid of the guys making to much money for their performances and go with young cheaper guys so we can spend where we need it.

I'm sure Ponder is our starter, I'm ok with that it will be nice to get him a little more protection and some targets down field that can actually seperate from coverage. I'd like to see us get a nice back up though that could challenge for the starting spot. I wouldn't mind exploring a trade for a guy like Cousins from the Skins or Mallett from the Pats.

We pretty much could use everything in the secondary still, linebacker core is really weak also.

On offense WR is a glaring need, and could still use a little o-line help.

Hopefully we can land a couple key FA's and have another nice draft.

• 1 month later...

A year later and there is still Mike Wallace talk, I'd take em but not for the type of money he'll probably receive. I'd rather lock up Percy, the Vikings will be pretty dumb to let Percy go unless we get something real nice for him.

I'd pay Percy and build some WR's through the draft. Spend the money on some LB's or continue to work on that O-line.

I wouldn't mind to see James Harrison in purple, he's a little older and coming off an injury but he started to play real good again coming down the stretch. Steelers might be releasing him if he don't take a pay cut.

Alot of decent guys are starting to get cut as teams start preparing for FA and clearing cap space.

I wouldn't mind to see James Harrison in purple, he's a little older and coming off an injury but he started to play real good again coming down the stretch. Steelers might be releasing him if he don't take a pay cut.

Alot of decent guys are starting to get cut as teams start preparing for FA and clearing cap space.

You clearly have no conception of how to build a franchise.

Pay Percy what he deserves and make him happy and then take best deep threat available with pick 23.

yeah, because we could use a "deep threat" with all the time CP has to throw the ball. and the 40yds he can throw doesn't really constitute a deep threat.

We need a #1 WR, Percy is great and all but this team is missing a big body down field threat that requires the attention of a CB and safety. Harvin is not that, he's a slot guy. Slot guys are not hard to find. If we could keep him great but he has become a disease that this coaching staff is done with. We don't need him as long as the right deal is made. We need a #1 and #2, Wright can be our slot and share return with Sherels or a draft pick. This team needs to make some major moves to address the needs. AP won't hold up for long with 8 in the box because this teams passing attack is so weak.

yeah, because we could use a "deep threat" with all the time CP has to throw the ball. and the 40yds he can throw doesn't really constitute a deep threat.

8 in the box 85% of the time focusing on the run wouldn't allow many offenses in the league the time to get off a deep ball. However if we had a deep threat teams wouldn't stack up front, they'd have to respect the pass. It was no secret we had terrible WRs, it wasn't all Ponders fault, nobody had hands and the routes and separation was pathetic. We need a #1 more than we need Percy.

If we need a number one WR then we need to go get Wallace. Just by drafting WR at #23 this year does not mean they'll be a #1...there is nobody in this draft even close to some of the #1 WR's that have come out recently.

Sign Percy and draft DT/LB/CB/S in the first round and get the receivers in rounds 2-4.

If Patterson is around at #23 then we'd be fools not to take him. WR is our top priority by far. 2nd-4th round WRs have reeeallly work out here haven't they....

Sign a bonafide #1 whatever it takes, dump Harvin and pick up a WR at 23. Dumping Ponder isn't an option so give him some targets and soften that D for AP.

Almost all the WR's in this years draft have 2nd-5th round grades on them...teams with a need at WR will reach for the few that'll go in the 1st. Almost all are considered solid #2 or #3 WR's on any given team. Patterson will be long gone by 23.

Why reach for WR at 23 when there will be much better talent at our other positions of need when it's our time to pick.

After Patterson, there's very little difference between the next 10-12 receivers in this draft. And...Pattersons 1st round grade is based soley on POTENTIAL...not production.

Patterson looked pretty appealing to me, I'd even consider moving up for him. We are desperately needing a passing attack. Mike Wallace on one side Patterson on the other, double TE with AP. That would be very nice.

The only other Wr I can see them taking at 23 would be Hopkins...maybe Tavon Austin but only if Harvin is gone.

No interest in Austin, let Wright play slot-Harvin is done here. Realize that hes only good for 10 games anyways, hes too fragile and has attitude issues, he's a quitter. The only way I'd be happy if they went with a later pick is if they landed the other Vol WR Hunter. We still need a #1, too bad we couldn't have picked up Bowe.

My bet is that Spielman will go hard after D. Alexander from the Chargers come Tuesday...If he can keep his knee healthy, he's just what we need (6'5" outside receiver who will stretch the field) AND won't cost half of what Wallace and Jennings will.

His knee is a big question though...

That would fit the norm around here. Get a maybe guy, pay him a bunch of money, not here after 2 years of poor production. Kind of sounds like a Bernard Berrian deal in the making.... Stop playing around Speilman and fork out a little more dough for a proven #1.

You clearly have no conception of how to build a franchise.

Says the guy that would release Jared Allen, LMMFAO.

Harrison is better then what we have, nothing wrong with upgrading by adding solid veterans if the price is right. You build from the draft but you can't get all your pieces at one time.

Since you are completely incapable of objective thought and comparing numbers I will do it for you.

Games Tackles Sacks For-fum INT Pass-defensed Salary

Jared Allen 16 45 12 1 0 3 About $15mil

Brian Rob 14 37 8.5 3 0 7 About $1 mil

Everson Grif 16 26 8 2 1 2 Under $1 mil

Ya know, if I take those numbers and divide them out against salary one of them is way out of whack, and guess who it is. But i forget. He had that terrible imaginary injury and faced all those imaginary double teams last year. I bet Griffen didnt take 1/3 the snaps of Allen.

Fishinfool I am going to start calling you uncle Rico. You remind me of uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite. I bet if you could go back you could get 22 sacks just like Jared Allen in a meaningless 3-13 season. Be better than struggling through a meaningful season with a fake injury and a bloated salary while you did nothing. But dont worry, simple-minded Vikings fans like you would rather drool over some overpaid redneck donkey than actually win a championship.

And James Harrison??

What, we should get him so that after his next headshot he can be suspended for a year leaving us high and dry. And thats only if he can make it through a season. There is a reason Pitt will get rid of him. I think all 6 of them are in their trophey case. They know when its time to part with these vets.

And no, you cant build a team completly through the draft, look at San Fran. I mean they are on set for the next 6-8 years, but the draft had nothing to do with that. Or did it?? Oh, thats right, their entire team is a product of recent drafts.

Get a clue Uncle Rico.