• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Official Vikings Offseason Thread!

FISHINGURU

Originally Posted By: PierBridge
I'm not buying the 8 in box theory. There wasn't nearly as much 8 in the Box last season as in the previous couple. Our line really struggled last year with run blocking.

We need to find a veteran O'linemen just for depth sake.

I agree!

There's nothing wrong with running with 8 in the box. Look at what AP did his first few years in the league. If you have the horses up front who can handle it...it is devastating to any defense. I agree too Pier, we just plain struggled last year with our blocking. Last year, the Vikings o-line consistantly lost their "push" at contact...which, to them, should be embarrassing.

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FISHINGURU

• Scott K

• zepman

• Jim Panfish Uran

I'm not buying the 8 in box theory. There wasn't nearly as much 8 in the Box last season as in the previous couple. Our line really struggled last year with run blocking.

8 in the box isnt a theory. Of course it wasnt as much as the previous couple years where 100% of the time you had 8 or even 9 in the box. Point being the vikings see more 8 in the box than anyone with AP in the backfield and the majority of the stops in the backfield were DBs coming off the edge. You know where the proof in the pudding is? Brett Favre has the best year of his career because there are 1 on 1's all over the field constantly. Sydney Rice running downfield 1 on 1 against Sensenbaugh and later in the game against Mike Jenkins of the cowboys? It was no coincidence and we saw it all year. I'm not saying the line can't be upgraded, but im telling you if the vikings were as worried as the people on this forum are they would have done something about it by now.

Zep, how many yards did AP have last year? And against primarily 8 man fronts? 1383 yards, 4.4 an attempt, 18 TDs. Just out of curiosity if someone told you these would be AP's stats next year would you take them?

Again, not saying the line couldnt have played better, or couldnt be upgraded, but i think if the organization was worried about this "glaring weakness" on a superbowl ready team they would have addressed it already.

FG,

you also said T-Jack would be gone last year and Sage would be the starter. And here the Vikes are paying him almost $1.2 million to stay this year and a year later to boot. Sage is the third stringer too....hmmmmm FG-real accurate you are smile

As for the accuracy of any of your posts, I and many others wanted Allen, Favre and Harvin. Of course in your state of mind you believe you were the only one. They have a name for guys like you grin

If you were in charge GUYS LIKE YOU would be CALLING YOU NAMES and demanding your removal cool

No, I said if it's a battle between Junkson and Sage being QB Sage will win the battle and be our starter, Its funny you think the Vikes like your boy Junkson but they went and got Sage, then on top of that they go and get Favre. You think 1.2 million for a QB is good money? After moving so far up in the draft to take Junkson in the 2nd round and not being able to even fetch a 3rd round pick for him after he has a couple years worth of experience you might as well sign the guy for pocket change.

If guys like me ran the team we'd have a ring. If guys like you and the Junkson clan ran the team we would of had the 1st pick of the draft the last 4-5 years.

Zep, how many yards did AP have last year? And against primarily 8 man fronts? 1383 yards, 4.4 an attempt, 18 TDs. Just out of curiosity if someone told you these would be AP's stats next year would you take them?

Again, not saying the line couldnt have played better, or couldnt be upgraded, but i think if the organization was worried about this "glaring weakness" on a superbowl ready team they would have addressed it already.

Adrian Peterson went almost 10 games in a row last year without breaking 100 yards. He averaged less than 90 a game...ask him if he was satisfied with how his year was? How many yards did Chester have the year before AP came to the Vikes?

For a "normal" running back, yes, I'd be pleased with those #'s. To me, 1383 for Adrian Peterson is just plain underperforming...and it's wasn't all on him.

Originally Posted By: PierBridge

8 in the box isnt a theory. Of course it wasnt as much as the previous couple years where 100% of the time you had 8 or even 9 in the box. Point being the vikings see more 8 in the box than anyone with AP in the backfield and the majority of the stops in the backfield were DBs coming off the edge. You know where the proof in the pudding is? Brett Favre has the best year of his career because there are 1 on 1's all over the field constantly. Sydney Rice running downfield 1 on 1 against Sensenbaugh and later in the game against Mike Jenkins of the cowboys? It was no coincidence and we saw it all year. I'm not saying the line can't be upgraded, but im telling you if the vikings were as worried as the people on this forum are they would have done something about it by now.

Without Favre at the helm, I truely believe we would have been in trouble last year. Those 8 and 9 man fronts are doable if you have a QB with a head on his shoulders. If someone could do a miraculous surgery and put Favre's head on Tjacks's body you'd have an awesome QB. Jackson has all the physical talents you could ask for in a QB and more, but with out experience he's just another run of the mill guy.

Zep you arent going to see 1800 yards out of AP with Favre at QB and his ability to attack the 1 on 1's hes getting. This team was the 5th leading offense in the NFL last year, there arent many extra yards to go around. 2 years ago this team had no choice to line up and run a 8 and 9 man fronts. Favre gave us what we were begging for, a QB who could make teams pay for loading the box. 5th leading offense in the league from where this team was 2 years ago and we are finding a reason to complain? I for one would rather see the vikings pass the ball against 8 man fronts and be successful rather than beating their heads on the wall and getting little running the ball against it. You dont make a living running against 8 man fronts. You might pop a few but you arent going to live by it. See 2 years ago when they had no choice but to pound the ball because they had no QB. I'll take 1400 yards and what we got last year out of the offense as a whole vs what we saw previously.

I have no problems with AP at all...and definately none with Favre and how he moved the ball. I do have problems with our offensive line getting their arses kicked week in and week out.

Way too many 2nd/3rd and long with Favre having to drop back and take a hit. IMO, we had to rely way too much on Favre and his arm last year. He can only absorb so much at his age.

Enter Toby Gerhart!!

I'd like to see us going back to pounding the rock a little more this season, once we got comfortable with Favre and how well he was at making decisions this year I feel we got away from the run a little bit and depended on Favre to much.

Like our last play of the game last season, I'd us rather hand the ball off and see what we can get for yards and then bring Longwell in to try and win the game, if not we start from scratch in OT but atleast had a real shot to end the game. Pretty sure that would of been the plan before the stupidiest penalty in Vikings history, to many men in the huddle after a time out in a Championship game lol.

I think they realized that and along with Favre's age and injury, thats why we got another wrecking machine RB in the draft. I'd rather have us be a power running team with great defense. I don't have a problem with us passing if our running game is turds all game and teams are blowin it up, but I think lately with Favre we kind of abandon it a little bit....we need to turn our division black and blue!!

Quote:

According to the Football Outsiders, Percy Harvin led all NFL receivers with 25 broken tackles last season.

Wes Welker finished a distant second among wideouts with 16. Chris Johnson (61) led the league, with Ray Rice (57), Adrian Peterson (56), Maurice Jones-Drew (52), and Steven Jackson (50) rounding out the top five. Promisingly, then-rookie Knowshon Moreno finished in the top ten with 33 broken tackles.

Thats a nice one for Percy, he's a pretty tough kid for his size, people thought he was fragile but he was pretty mean out there I thought.

MAN, I hope we can work out a deal for Haynesworth!! That guy is a stud and would dominate on this defense. The Wall is gonna be suspended for 4 games and its the end of Fat Pats career, to top it all off Albert wants to come to the Vikes, check it out....I'm in I hope it gets done!!

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2010/5/8/1464237/albert-haynesworth-reportedly

I saw that Haynesworth article over the weekend...if we did sign him, which I hope we do, it would be the end of the road for Phat Pat.

I saw that Haynesworth article over the weekend...if we did sign him, which I hope we do, it would be the end of the road for Phat Pat.

I just dont think the Vikes will want that huge contract that would come along with him. The Redskins would have to eat some of it to make him more appealing to teams.

Quote:
I just dont think the Vikes will want that huge contract that would come along with him. The Redskins would have to eat some of it to make him more appealing to teams.

I think they already did...

Haynesworth's Guaranteed Money:

(REDSKINS ALREADY PAID 1-3)

- Signing Bonus: $5M

- 2009 guaranteed P5 salary: $6M

- Option Bonus: $21M

What we would owe without re-negotiation:

- 2010 guaranteed P5 salary: $3.6M

- 2011 guaranteed P5 salary: $5.4M

TOTALING: $41M guaranteed

Basically, the Vikes could pick him up for 9 million for two years without any restructuring, or we could try to strike a better deal. We will pay Gerhart $300,000 versus the $3 million we paid to C. Taylor last year (would likelier have been more this year) and that frees some room up. Next year, Fat Pat is gone and we save over $4 million there... It could add up...

http://www.sportscity.com/NFL/Minnesota-Vikings-Salaries

His contract isn't even big anymore, the Skins paid most of the guaranteed money the first year of the contract, most of the money in the "100 Million" he'll never see.

Another sweet thing that could be brewing is OJ Atogwe the safety from the Rams, they have 3 weeks to decide what they are gonna do with the guy, either they pay him fat or let him walk.

I'd love to have either one of these guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:
The NFL will not be allowed to suspend Pat and Kevin Williams until the case is heard by the Minnesota Court of Appeals, a Minnesota judge ruled Friday.

This should keep Saints DE Will Smith in the clear also, for now. It remains unclear when the appeal will be heard and as Profootballtalk.com points out, there was an eight-month lag between Brian Cushing's sample collection and suspension. This story is sure to drag on throughout the summer.

So, how much in tax payer money has this cost us?

Quote:
Vikings DTs Kevin and Pat Williams are not expected to face suspension during the 2010 season after a Minnesota judge extended them a temporary injunction Friday.

The injunction prevents the Williamses from being banned four games, "until their appeal is resolved." In order for the appeal to be resolved, the case would have to pass through both the Minnesota Court of Appeals and Minnesota Supreme Court -- a process sure to last into 2011. Saints DE Will Smith, who ranked fifth in the NFL in sacks last year, is also in the clear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quote:

Vikings re-signed restricted free agent DE Ray Edwards to a one-year, $2.521 million contract.

Edwards doesn't appear to be serious about holding out, as he hinted he might be last month. Still just 25 years old, the left defensive end broke out for 51 tackles and 8.5 sacks last season. The Vikings, however, consider Edwards just slightly better than a replaceable talent. With Jared Allen and the Williams Wall commanding constant double teams, Edwards got much of his 2009 production in single-blocked and even unblocked situations.

• 7 months later...

So I hear the Eagles would be willing to trade Kolb for a 2nd rounder, that might be something to think about. I wish we still had our 3rd, maybe we can trade out of our 1st round spot and add some picks, get a QB and still get some good dude on the O-line.

Vikings hire an OC yet???? What you Queens’s fans think of Mike Heimerdinger? Likes to run and throw deep (vertical). Vikings are kind of set up for that if they can retain Rice, and get the o-line fixed. Wouldn’t be that complex of an offence like the west coast. Web and T junk have good arms. If a lock out looms Young could walk right in.

It will be interesting to see what Musgrave can do to the offense, it surely can't get any worse then it was last season, it was pretty disgusting.

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta have playmakers on offense...Harvin and Rice...not just Peterson, or any qb will have a tough time. It ALL STARTS UP FRONT, so an upgrade in OL is critical for any success. The coaches may be able to improve the mountians we already have....or they will focus on some WARRIERS up front in the draft/free-agents. It will be interesting for sure.