• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Official Vikings Offseason Thread!

FISHINGURU

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FISHINGURU

• Scott K

• zepman

• Jim Panfish Uran

Quote:
Darius Reynaud said his move to running back is permanent.

He even has a new running back number, 27. Reynaud gives the Vikings some options as a third-down back, but he won't be a true backup to Adrian Peterson. That role still belongs to Albert Young and possibly a running back the Vikings draft.

Quote:
Quarterback Tarvaris Jackson plans to sign his one-year, $1.176 million tender with the Minnesota Vikings, according to NFL sources. That will leave defensive end Ray Edwards as the Vikings’ only restricted free agent who has not signed his tender

what kind a smoke screen can you put up when you are picking #30 in the first round?

You don't pay much attention to the nfl draft do you? LOL! It has nothing to do with where you pick. It's about moving and shaking. If someone wants a guy and they pick after you, you pretend you are interested in said guy in the hopes the other team will make you a trade offer. you get extra picks plus you get the guy you were really interested in.

Vikings should be in a very good spot to trade down this year and grab some extra picks to play with if they want...especially if Tebow and McCoy are still on the board when pick #30 rolls around.

Quote:
Vikings re-signed restricted free agent QB Tarvaris Jackson to a one-year, $1.176 million contract.

Though the 27-year-old Jackson is physically gifted and hasn't put up awful career numbers (58.7% completions, 21:18 TDs/INTs), he lacks any kind of poise and has never been effective for long stretches. The Vikings also showed that they don't value him highly with the lowest possible restricted free agent tender. With Brett Favre seeming unlikely to retire, Jackson will again have to hold off Sage Rosenfels to earn primary backup duties.

I know most people will disagree with me, but I would love to get center/guard Mike Pouncey if by some chance he is available.

I recorded every game last year and I've watched each of them 2-3 times. The #1 reason we had difficulties running the ball last year and lead the league in plays for a loss was center John Sullivan. The #2 reason was right guard Anthony Herrara. They are saying Pouncey can play either guard or center, and he's the best center to come out of college in the last 10 years.

I know we have other needs too. In this case, best player available will also fill a need.

i havent seen a mock where he wasnt predicted to go later than mid first round. A lot of mocks have him going to the Steelers at 18. My feeling is the vikings are happy with Sullivan and will not go in that direction.

Pouncey would be a great pick for the Vikes. I don't know how good of a blocker Sullivan is but his shotgun snaps are consistantly the worst I've ever seen. It completely takes Farve, or anyone for that matter, out of rythm when they have to reach down and forward to grab the snap. That ball should hit him in the #'s every time so he can keep his eyes and vision downfield.

Pouncy in the 1st and Cook (CB-Virginia) in 2nd would be awesome.

Sullivan is still young, and learning his position. I think he will turn out to be a good center. We have bigger needs to fill in the 1st, other then center.

Pouncy projects as a starting guard too. Remember, we lost the back-up to most of our starting O-line this off-season to free-agency.

If Pouncey is on the board it's a no brainer. He will instantly take over at EITHER guard or center and be a HUGE upgrade. He won't be there at #30. No chance at all.

McCourty or Kareem Jackson will be the pick. Second rounder will be the guard from Illinois(As.....thats as far as I'll go with the spelling). Third rounder will be a linebacker(Edds) with good cover skills. Skelton(qb) in the fourth. Two picks in the fifth(ours and compensory) will be a safety(Rolle) and a defensive tackle(George Selvie or Arthur Jones). Sixth rounder will be another Oline prospect. 7th rounder will be somebody you've never heard of. That's my draft and I'm sticking to it.

I agree koonie. I think you can throw the name Taylor Mays in with the other 2 DB's you mentioned.

If McCourty dropped to 30, that would be a good pick too. If they go corner in the 1st round, we have to start thinking about Winfield moving to Safety. He's a great player, but he's definately lost a step.

If they didn't have to give up too much to trade up a few spots for Pouncey, that would be great. That kid will solidify an O-line for a decade. As mentioned, depth too is an issue with O-line. We might need a new left tackle soon too. McKinney is a knucklehead!

I would like to see Asher Allen given an opportunity to step up and play more this year at corner. He didn't play much last year, but made plays when he was in there. He likes to hit.

Our safetys still suck, probably need a middle linebacker and QB is still a question mark for the future if not this year.

Quote:

The Vikings are reportedly "giving serious consideration" to signing free agent CB Lito Sheppard.

Sheppard has made one free agent visit, but he left Detroit last week without signing. The Vikes could use insurance with both starters coming off of surgery this offseason, but they'll likely wait to pull the trigger on Sheppard until after the draft.

Um, No Thank You!! He has never lived up to the hype!

Fish Head im reading alot of stuff saying McCourty does not have the value at 30 so in all likelihood if you see McCourty there its not because he slipped, its because teams arent putting the value in him with how deep the CB position is in this draft. All the thinking is that in the 2nd round the vikings could come up with a CB that is the same talent wise as McCourty. There is alot more steam about Kareem Jackson now or the vikings looking away from CB with that 1st pick.

The safety play got much better as the season went on. As with Sullivan, im not real sure the vikings arent content letting Tyrell Johnson grow into that position.

The safety play got somewhat better, but I think there were still way too many moments where the safety play was down right bad. I'm dissapointed in Tyrell. He's still young, but his tackling was not NFL caliber. I think its time to put Winfield at strong safety.

EJ will be 30 this year and this is his second season in a row with major surgery. This injury was much worse than the toe injury the year before. I'd be surprised if EJ gets back to the level he was playing at a couple years ago, so we need to start thinking about middle linebacker too.

I like Jimmy Kennedy, so I'm not as worried as some other people about the void when Pat Williams retires.

We need O-line help! Sullivan is undersized. He and Herrera both can be overpowered and they both miss assignments. McKinney is a head case and was kicked off the pro-bowl team because he never went to practice.

Most of the bad tackling by far was early in the season. He played well in those playoff games. I remember a few times where he literally submarined plays in the backfield.

I really think the vikes are in a nice position. They are in a position to add some nice depth. There are positions that could be improved upon but nothing as glaring as most teams have. I don't see them trading up out of the 30th pick. Heck i think its more likely someone trades up to the vikings pick. I could see the vikes moving down a few picks, getting a 3rd or 4th rounder, and still getting good value.

Did anyone watch any of ESPN's special last night? They had 3 guys pick 5 games in which you don't want to miss. The vikings were mentioned against Dallas, GB, and NE and it came to Adam Shefter and i thought here we go, someone has to mention the first game of the season against the saints. Nope, he wants to see the bears vs dolphins. Am I crazy or is there about 200 other games this season that NFL fans would want to see? Rematch of the NFC championship game or Cutler vs Marshall?

I see Fox sports lists the top 10 cant miss of 2010, and Mn vs NO is there, and the Vikes with 2 others for the year as well.

James, we'll have to agree to disagree on Tyrell. He did make some nice plays in the playoffs, but he missed many tackles in the last quarter of the regular season too. However he is still young...

The Vikings haven't traded down much since Spielman has run the show. In Rounds 2-5, Spielman has traded up four times and down once since 2007. They've traded up much more than down... but I'm not at all apposed to trading down if you can get value.

Draft dog's mock shows Vikings taking Pouncey, but he'll probably be gone. I'm going to keep hope alive.

Bears/Dolphins???? Knuckleheads...

If Pouncey is there its a no brainer. Thats the first i've seen him anywhere near where the vikings are picking.

The vikings since Spielman has taken over the show have always had some pretty serious needs. I dont think the needs this year are as immediate. I guess it depends on who is staring them in the face at 30 but like i said with how deep the DBs are in this class and that being one of the areas you would like to shore up, i could see them moving out of the 1st round and still getting a good DB along with notching another pick.

Listening to Paul Allen this morning he said his sources are saying the vikings are not interested at all in Tebow. But he mentioned someone (and i can't remember his name) who is usually nuts on about who the vikings take and has good sources that is saying the vikings are hot on Tebow. It will be interesting.

Did anyone watch any of ESPN's special last night? They had 3 guys pick 5 games in which you don't want to miss. The vikings were mentioned against Dallas, GB, and NE and it came to Adam Shefter and i thought here we go, someone has to mention the first game of the season against the saints. Nope, he wants to see the bears vs dolphins. Am I crazy or is there about 200 other games this season that NFL fans would want to see? Rematch of the NFC championship game or Cutler vs Marshall?

I think almost every "must see" game Shefter mentioned was ridiculous and a reach at best. I saw that too and when it was over I thought, "Umm, did he just say that? Really?"

Kiper, this morning on "Mike and Mike", said he feels there's an 80% chance Tebow goes in the first round and the Vikes are as good of a chance as anyone.

I smell a smokescreen here but it would be kind of fun to see what the kid could do in a year or two.

Tebow learning from the old gunsligner for the next couple years???? That could be good for viking fans. I would like to see it too.

Listening to Paul Allen this morning he said his sources are saying the vikings are not interested at all in Tebow. But he mentioned someone (and i can't remember his name) who is usually nuts on about who the vikings take and has good sources that is saying the vikings are hot on Tebow. It will be interesting.

That would be former Viking long snapper Mike Morris (The Superstar from the KFAN Power Trip Morning Show)

Quote:

The Vikings are hosting free agent CB Lito Sheppard on Wednesday.

Sheppard recently visited the Lions, but left without a deal. It's odd that he's being considered by teams that run such different schemes in the back end. The Vikings heavily employ Tampa-2 coverages, while Detroit plays press.

Vikes signed Lito Sheppard today. Now I doubt we'll hit the cornerback bell in the first round.

I really hope we don't pick Tebow. I pray this is a smokescreen to get someone to trade up to our spot so they can take Tebow. Another pick in the second and third or something like that would be great. Pleeaassee trade down if Tebow is on the board.

No way Pouncey falls to us.

Right now I haven't the slightest idea what direction we'll go.