• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Official Vikings Offseason Thread!

FISHINGURU

i personally don't think we run enough...there's abundant amount of times during games where i'm like why didn't we just run the ball? i thought we tried switching it up to much sometimes just because people wanted us to when we really could of just smashed the ball down thier throat.

its a pass happy league and we aren't built to be pass happy...i like the way we are built with a mean running attack and one of the best defenses in the league if not the best.

the real numbers are we ran 519 times and passed 452 times.....surprisingly we passed for 150 first downs and rushed for only 119 first downs.

i can't stand when we get down to the goaline and do some stupid plays...i say when we get down there hand the ball off 4 times in a row and make them eat it....no one is gonna stop peterson or chester for that matter 3 or 4 times in a row...instead we do some moron play and get sacked...then we are forced to call another pass when we could of just punched it in to begin with.

same thing with getting knocked out of field goal range....the qb has to know not to eat a sack and knock you out of an easy 3...all a coach can really do is make a call and his qb has to execute...the qb has all the options on where the ball is gonna go....not like our playbook is just 10 plays for 3 to 5 yards...its just thats where our qb's throw it because they need to grow a pair....if berrian is covered but is 1 on 1 on the outside, boo hoo just throw the bomb now n again if it gets picked off its just like a punt...but half the time he'd catch it.

percy is gonna open things up big time....if he stays healthy i think he's gonna be the steal of the draft...he's gonna be a gamebreaker and a guy that can strike quick and turn the tables.

our defense is easily good enough to win a superbowl if we can just get some offensive spark i think we will play tough...forsure

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FISHINGURU

• Scott K

• zepman

• Jim Panfish Uran

Most of that game (Indy) the Vikes were playing with a lead. Vikes also threw very few screens all of last year as compared to years past. The checkdowns passes are all his own doing...it's what makes commentators like Steve Young and Aikman hold their breath and count to three before deciding how to properly say he sucks on national t.v.

I'm not a T-Jack hater, or a bandwagon fan...if he's our starter, I'll be rooting for him all the way...I just hope this isn't the case.

Speaking of the Indy game, had Shiancoe held on to that ball in the end-zone we would all be talking about a totally different scenario here. Vikes would have won that game and T-Jack wouldn't have been pulled in favor of Ferotte. Who knows what would have happened then.....??

Lot's of shoulda woulda coulda's in an NFL season.

9 Touchdowns 2 interceptions and a 1,000 passing yards...95.4 QB rating..... Worst ever? I think not!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=pass&season=2&year=2008

But since you guys are so open minded about things we'll just concede it for arguments sake.. grin

I don't think we can just run all the time. I would like to see more running as well, but when defenses have no respect for our passing game, it makes it hard to run well when they just stack the box.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Bunch of great football minds...Kudos to you.

It's hard not to stack for the run when an NFL team runs the highest percentage of the time. I like the run heavy offense but the Vikes are so easily predictable and it is a pass oriented league for a good reason, of course teams are going to sit 8 in the box on us on any down except the ones we have to pass on. Because we are going to run it, not pass it unless we have to. No QB will look good in that situation.

Run more for high school teams......

Rick, that's what the beauty of having Favre would have been. No way could they put 8 in the box (all game long)with him flinging the ball. No way. Our offense would have resembled the '98 season, IMO, with no way to stop both AP and Favre.

I don't know if it would have resembled the 98 year, no Carter, Reed or Moss who were all big parts of that.

Rick, that's what the beauty of having Favre would have been. No way could they put 8 in the box (all game long)with him flinging the ball. No way. Our offense would have resembled the '98 season, IMO, with no way to stop both AP and Favre.

You got that right Z. Favre would make the Vikes an instant passing threat on reputation alone.

The Vikes need to establish a legitimate passing threat and they can't do that until they pass more, whomever the QB is. Once the threat is well established then we will be able to run....run...run.

I agree 100% Rick. We need to throw more, to make our running game better. Once we accomplish that, AP will reach 2000 yds this season.

I agree too. But throwing at ankles isn't going to open up the run.

Originally Posted By: leechbait
....and NO downfield accuracy makes for a pretty bad passing attack.

Don't worry, they won't make either of you their QB. laugh

It will be T-Jack, Sage or Booty as our QB.

I don't care who it is I'll still be cheering them on, yelling at them, or whatever. I think someone is a bit sour because their team went 0-16 last year wink

I don't care who it is I'll still be cheering them on, yelling at them, or whatever. I think someone is a bit sour because their team went 0-16 last year wink

Your fantasy team went 0-16? Or are you talking about Sandmannd's and LMITOUT's Team - THE Motor City Kitty's -LIONS? wink

Hey, the leos will be much improved this year. At least we're all optimistic, drinkin the koolaid and eating the cornbread, instead of all these pessimistic vikings fans smile

And they have a good chance at that "one game" as I believe they play the Vikings early in the season. whistle

Cheering on your kitties LMITOUT smile

Originally Posted By: Sandmannd
I agree too. But throwing at ankles isn't going to open up the run.

....and NO downfield accuracy makes for a pretty bad passing attack.

Don't worry, they won't make either of you their QB. laugh

It will be T-Jack, Sage or Booty as our QB.

Farve is not out of the picture yet. I will believe he is not signing after game 1.

Harvey is right on, Favre is a total team leader in the huddle and the locker room, the essence of team, he just doesnt want to participate in team activities, team training camp, team meetings, team workouts, just show up every sunday and lead his team

Quote:

Rookie Percy Harvin stood out once again in Thursday's practice, with safety Tyrell Johnson calling him "the fastest guy I've seen on the field yet."

"He's stretching our defense so I know he's going to stretch everybody else's defense when game time comes," Johnson said. "It's tough. You have Adrian and Percy back there. If they train him to throw the ball you have to worry about Bernard [berrian] and Sid [Rice] as the receivers. It's like, how do you win against that." Harvin is poised to make the biggest impact of any rookie this season.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

percy has me drinkin the purple kool aid foresure....its all about health though...if he can stay healthy i think we might of got ourselves another superstar.

he's definatly gonna help out our QB's and even peterson the way he can open the field and stretch the D....he's another gamebreaker that the D will have to game plan for...he should be pretty bomb even for a decoy.

Your fantasy team went 0-16? Or are you talking about Sandmannd's and LMITOUT's Team - THE Motor City Kitty's -LIONS? wink

YES YES YES.. Let us assume that's his team. Why else would he be ashamed to mention them!!!!!!!

I hope this kid can live up to every ones expectations!

Quote:

SI.com's Peter King expects Percy Harvin "to have the opportunity to be the Offensive Rookie of the Year."

As do we. King believes Harvin will catch a lot of deep touchdowns because he's so quick off the line and possesses terrific deep speed. The coaches obviously want him to play a huge role this season, and defenses are going to have their hands full trying to defend both him and Adrian Peterson.

Source: SI.com

Hmmmmmm who's gonna throw the deep ball to him? Hope Sage throws less heliem bombs and gets the start.

so he can run fast, but can he catch the ball. i remember we drafted another speed receiver not too long ago that couldn't catch a cold.

Have you watched the Florida Gators play over the past two seasons...he can catch the ball!! Go Percy!!