• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Official Vikings Offseason Thread!

FISHINGURU

My guess is we won't be able to re-sign Chester after next year so it would be worth sending him packing if it were for something decent in return.

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FISHINGURU

• Scott K

• zepman

• Jim Panfish Uran

as much as i like chester and everyone knows how he can add spark to our offense it wouldn't be a bad time to trade him while his stock is kinda high...granted we get something really nice out of it...i doubt he will re-sign with us as a back up player when its time to re-sign...get something while we can...would of been nice to still have mewelde though....it would be sweet if we could get jamal lewis and braylon lol.

chester and a 1st for braylon and lewis....probably a pipe dream but it would be a RB wrecking crew out there.

We needs someone with good hands out of the backfield like Chester does, IF we get rid of him. Jamal just seems like a fat wrecking ball, we already have a power back we need someone with a little finesse if we were to give up Chester.

wouldn't need a scat back when the defense is so punished by the 4th quarter trying to tackle 2 of the meanest runners in the game lol....jamal is also a mean blocker.

finesse guys with decent hands are pretty easy to come by if your just using them for that....if the vikes actually put 2 guys on the field at the same time i'd agree fully...but we don't even use chester and AP right the way it is.

From the Ney York Daily News

Coles a goner; Browns reportedly shopping Edwards

March 4, 2009

Some quick thoughts on today's happenings:

•Old friend Laveranues Coles has found happiness in Cincinnati. Who'da thunk it? He'll get four years, $28 million. I'm not sure how much is guaranteed, but I'm told it's more than $6 million - the amount he forfeited to get out of his Jets deal. Talk about a headline-making receiving tandem, Coles and Chad Ocho Cinco. Coles will like catching passes from Carson Palmer, the best quarterback he's had.

•There's some speculation out there about the Jets being interested in Jason (Twinkle Toes) Taylor, and I can say with a high degree of confidence that the Jets have no interest in the former Redskin and Dolphin.

•I'm surprised PK Mike Nugent signed a one-year deal with the Bucs. Their incumbent, Matt Bryant, had a really good year in '08. Very curious. I don't think it'll be too long before the Jets re-sign Jay Feely.

•The Jets are talking contract with TE Billy Bajema (49ers), which I'm sure is keeping everyone on the edge of their seat.

•Hot rumor: Browns WR Braylon Edwards is on the trading block. Should the Jets be interested? Discuss.

•A confession: I watched the last couple of nights of "The Bachelor," and that dude Jason changes his mind more than Brett Favre.

I've heard that rumor a few different places but surely nothing solid. All the sources I've read are along the lines of what you just posted. When the rumor is one line above the writers confession to watching "The Bachelor" I'm not sure how much weight I will put on it just yet.

I think its more likely to happen then the Broncos trading Cutler though.

I heard it tossed around on ESPN too, but it is a nice pipedream. He could def. help us, minus the T-Will drops here and there.

If they didn't go for Housh or Coles, C'mon Vikes don't wait until it's too late. I guess it's just me and my inability to wait for them to do something. Something will happen eventually.

I would certainly have no problem if he ends up here. He's a heck of a WR when he doesn't drop the ball.

If they didn't go for Housh or Coles, C'mon Vikes don't wait until it's too late. I guess it's just me and my inability to wait for them to do something. Something will happen eventually.

exactly, the vikes have signed 1 player in the top 100 free agents----Jimmy K. thats it. they better start doing something if they want to get a good player

If they don't hurry up there won't be any top 100 free agents left, in fact I would bet that it's probably half of that field already.

There is no way Edwards is worth Chester and a first round pick. More likely Chester and a 4th rounder. Not going to happen though.

in reality braylon is worth a 1st...if they only wanted a 4th he'd of been gone yesterday...we spent our 4th round pick anyway lol.

isn't that what we got rid of Moss for??? I wouldn't give them Chester for him, that's all I was saying. To us right now I think Chester has more value to our team than Edwards would.

GURU...if Edwards goes for a 1st then someone got duped big time. He WAS big time comming out of college but hasn't done squat in the NFL. Third or fourth rounder and a bit player should get him, otherwise he can stay in Cleveland and rot.

To us right now I think Chester has more value to our team than Edwards would.

Amen Brother.

We can a find a third down back or a scat back lot of places. With BB with his turf toe, Wade with his very average to below average skill set and Sid is always banged up. Then ferguson, do not care for him at all. Aundrae...the book is still out but he will prolly work into the slot instead of Wade. So I would say we need a reliable number 1 or 2 based on the Vikes WR depth.

yeah but Chester is not your everyday 3rd down back. He can get it done any down. Ferguson was released I believe, and the rest are as you said they are. Avg at best, still wouldn't give up Chester for butterfingers.

i would have to disagree BIG TIME.

what i meant by in reality braylon is worth a 1st round pick is we aren't gonna get anyone with our 1st round pick as good as braylon if we go with WR...kinda like last year when everyone was telling me jared allen isn't worth a 1st round pick lol...actually thats to funny.

hasn't done anything in the nfl? just the season before last he put up 1300 yards and 16 tds and made it to the pro bowl...only wr in the league to score more td's that year was randy who broke the all time record...i don't know if you can call that hasn't done squat.

braylon was takin in the 1st round with the 3rd pick...he's only 26 and has only been in the league for 4 seasons.

when we traded moss he was 8 seasons in and older...people thought he lost a step and we still got ripped off.

chester is more valuable? for what this last season he's on the team? i don't see how you guys think a career back up rb that has one more season with our team is more valuable then a young wr that has mad talent that we could lock up for many years.

only downside to edwards is he led the league in drops which does suck...other then that he has the potential to be one of the best wr's in the league for another 5+ years.

everything is speculation anyway...no one knows what cleveland is asking for and no one even said we are willing to deal chester or if they would even want him or if we even want braylon....when chester hits free agency next year and signs with a team to be a starter tell me how valuable he is to us.

no one said cleveland will get a 1st but he's worth a 1st..randy was worth way more then a 4th sorry guys....if you can get braylon for a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th at his age with his skills it would be an absolute bargain.

EDIT: i was trippin....i forgot we even still got a 1st round pick for moss and nepoleon dynamite and we still got ripped off...heck yeah we got that stud williamson with the 7th overall pick since 1st round picks are so valuable lol.

even later when new england got moss for the 4th the raiders got ripped off.

might as well bring up the whole 05 draft class...we don't even have 1 player left on the team from that draft with 2 picks in the first round.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Tice is gone now. His drafts were god-awful. You can't compare normal picks with his draft picks. The only thing he knew were O-linemen & TEs.

yeah your right..except the next years draft after tice wasn't much better when we traded away picks to move up to take t-awesome and cook in the 2nd rounds lol...atleast we got greenway even though he missed that whole first season...i was hoping we'd get him or cutler that year.

our best drafts of late is the last 2 years when we got lucky with peterson and got jared last year with a 1st and two 3rds...hopefully tyrell pans out...i think he should be a pretty solid player.

we got a few good guys under tice though in the draft, kdubbs, ej,mckinney.....04, 05, 06 draft stunk it up pretty good except greenway....griffen is excellent at tackling but poor in coverage and we got the NFL single season sack record holder ray ray in 06.

I don't know about griffen being poor in coverage, look at the end of last season he was shutting people down. He's going to be good. It's a nickel we needs, sapp suks.

The vikes have been quiet until now, they finally signed another free agent crazy

Quote:
Vikings re-signed LB Heath Farwell to a three-year, $7.75 million contract with $3.25 million in guarantees.

Farwell took to the open market searching for a team willing to let him play defense, but nothing surfaced after feelers in Cleveland and New England. He figures to return in the same special teams/backup linebacker role in which he's played in the past. Farwell says his knee is 100 percent after tearing his ACL last August.

yeah griff is getting better...he was getting owned in coverage earlier in the year and stepped it up a bit...he's a tackling machine though...part of the reason our guys give up alot of catches is the zones we call...winfields the same way he'll give up some catches but he'll tackle anything in sight.

the heath signing is by no means a big splash but i think its a good signing forsure...our special teams took a big dump when we lost him...he runs the show out there on special teams...hopefully he has no more ACL issues.

I mentioned last week that we needed to sign this guy, he's our new Chris Walsh. Special teams needs him.

lol heck no!!! that was sage!!

we got spoiled last year when our team went out and signed a few of the biggest FA's on the market opening weekend and then went and also got jared.

they at least entertained the idea and made a run at TJ..just sucks they low balled a little to much when we had a chance to lock him down.

alot goes on behind the scenes that isn't talked about or you can't read about...i'm sure the vikes have their noses in trades...we could be out there trying to land cutler, braylon, boldin, some oline guy, who knows...we have the money and we aren't scared to throw some picks around...i guess i have faith in zigy to want to win....he sure beats red mcdummy.

Sage was a trade, we really havent aqcuired anyone in free agency. I agree they did great last year, but all that did is make me want more smile