• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Willmer-Spicer Area Fishing Reports

No more bloodline than any other fish I have eaten. I fried up a combo of walleye and sheepie a few years back, and everyone thought the sheepie was just as good. It's nice, white meat. Looks like a big sunnie fillet.

Try it. You've got nothing to lose other than a few minutes of filleting time.

Never tried smoking them.

It was a strong west wind the morning of the tournament so many boats were in what is typically referred to as Big Norway. The first bay as you come thru from West Norway. Anywhere in that bay that wasn't too weedy from 5 feet down to 10 feet (which is about as deep as it gets) seemed to be fine. I just put on a jig that is heavy enough to get to the bottom during the speed of the drift and thread a crawler on it. Bounce the jig off the bottom now and then and hold on. I've never eaten them, but they are a nice fighting fish and if you get into a school of big ones, they sure are fun.

TJ, how's the crowd the dilleys' doing? I don't know if you would remember back when I had my trailer at Dilley's, I would smoke up a couple sheepies, for the saturday night camp fire, with crosses and crew. Maybe your dad would remember the old bass fisherman (Paul) with the yellow boat, always fished with 2 black dogs. He was the guy that got our family into trying sheepies for the table. He was correct they are fine, yes, we all want eyes but when the chips are down get sheep a try. I can't find them around Buffalo area, carp and catfish, but have yet to catch a sheephead.

i was thinking the smoker..... think they are in the freshwater drum family and supposed to be good table fare. hard to think that something that ugly could taste good, but will probably take a shot at it.

Be sure to post your tasting results.

Not a lot of the old crew left at Dilley's. Most of the new blood is more into relaxing, playing than they are fishing. I only get out there for opener, sheephead tourney and maybe one or two other random days. Too many lakes in the Annandale area to keep my attention for fishing. Never ate a sheephead, but I'm not much into smoked fish anyway. I can usually fill a frying pan with sunfish (which is my table fare of choice) so don't stray much from that.

Looks like a great day to go fishing!!! I have not been out in over a week, so I will just go out and give it a try.

you didnt miss much the last week or so........fishing was inconsistent to say the least. would like to blame the weather, but who knows. would think the more stable pattern we are into will help to turn on the fish. i probably wont join the "circus on the lake" this weekend though. did get out and got some sheepshead....will post some pics/details of the final food product when i get some time.

not that anyone was holding their breath for this, but here is the outcome of the sheepshead excursion. jr. and i caught close to a dozen fish. kept a few 2 to 3 lbers for the smoker, and a few smaller ones for the fryer. as ralph said they really are good, i did however make fish tacos out of them. you could pretty much deep fry anything and put that sauce on and it would taste good.

for the smoked fish i basted a oyster/ soy sauce, ginger, lime marinade on these

0705002143.jpg

double breaded these in a seasoned corn flour and then in crushed up fritos

0701001731.jpg

will make a post in the cooking thread if you want the recipe for the sauce

0701001733.jpg

Hey, pushbotton ...whe is the taste party thenI'll bring beverages.....:)

J.

J, ice tea doesn't count. grin if your bring beer, I'll bring the crackers for the smoked fish. Not been able to fish for the past 2 weeks. Was lighting water heater, ended up have secound and first degree burns on face, hand and arm. Got very lucky, no major damage to my eyes, but couldn't see for some time.

Hey, pushbotton ...whe is the taste party thenI'll bring beverages.....:)

J.

glad you are ok.....next time let the wife do it....:). Just an idea smile

Hey guys just wondering if theres a good panfish bite on any of the area lakes I haven't been out for a couple weeks?

If the wife had done it, I would have to wait-on her. better me. grin

As for fishing blind? I helped on a "Let's go fishing", outting. 1 of the guys was totally blind. He caught more fish then anyone else, out fishing the closest person by 4-1. It's all in the feel.

maddog, have not seriously tried for panfish in close to a month.... going to try nest or green this weekend. will be looking for areas i can get the bait down in cabbage flats, as well as deep weed edges.

fished green today....tried half heartedly for some smallies on mid lake structure ......no such luck...got a few snotrockets though.... was really after some panfish, as i have not fished for them since prespawn. found them anywhere from 6 to 15 ft.....no real concentrations of the bigger ones yet. a lot of 6 to 7 inchers......did catch a few bulls.

0711001716.jpg

0711001716a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Made it out twice this week, it has been worthwhile. I Cleaned fish both nights!! Fish slow and follow the weed edge.

• 1 month later...

The Bass fishing slowed down after the cold front moved in. I saw water temps drop 5 degs. in a couple of days. Anyone else out there catching anything?

fall patterns are SLOWLY starting to kick in....been finding large gills out 15 to 20..... where i fish up shallow at night the really big eyes still have not showed up yet, a LOT a smaller ones.....starting to see a few larger crappies there as well, but still not turned on yet...would think another week or so for some bigger fish.

Tried a couple different lakes this last weekend could get northerns and bass but no eyes. Tried offshore tonight and caught 12 small bass was fun but not walleyes.

I'm having fun! Took the rest of the week off having fun! BUT fishing aint fun,My buddy lives on diamond and we cant get anything!!! Years before there were always enough for supper,Now nada!! I used his boat today and fished the whole east side. What am I doing wrong????

I know I'm on the wrong lake.but to go to another I'd have to borrow the truck and tow HIS boat with HIS truck.Just not my style I feel fortunate just to have the boat to use.

There was a huge perch hatch again lots of natural forage in the lake right now. good luck out there, if you find the hungry ones you'll do really good.

I went there twice in June and did good trolling the east side in 12ft with #5 shads. Good luck.

But that was June. wink

There was a huge perch hatch again lots of natural forage in the lake right now. good luck out there, if you find the hungry ones you'll do really good.

finding perch "infestations" on a lot of lakes this year. has anyone else noticed more smaller perch than normal on the lakes they fish? are these last years or do they grow 5 inches in the first year and then slow down? can't imagine they all get eaten and unless a lack of forage base stunts them, would think there will be some good perch fishing on some lakes in future years...anyone know growths rates?