• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

"Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see what is shared. Just 99 cents to join. Click here please.

Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area'.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

Have Fun!!!

fishing medic

Willmer-Spicer Area Fishing Reports

BLACKJACK

There was about 18 inches on Norway the other night. The ice is rougher than a cob where all the people were driving when the ice was slushy!!! Now its froze. Never saw it so rough!!!

gbn

which part of the lake were u on? anyone else have any better luck getting around on different areas of the lake in the past couple days? thanks

Red_Eye

I'm taking my nephew fishing today in the Spicer area.I don't have any experience in that part of the state. My thoughts are to go to Green. I'm not looking for secret fishing holes but any guidance is appreciated. I just want the kid to get some fish up the hole so it doesn't necessarily have to be walleye. Any input regarding travel on Green is also appreciated.

Thanks

fishattacker

I always had good luck fishing the weedlines in the afternoon. Last year the weedlines were pretty deep. I was fishing in that 25 foot range on and inside turn or next to a deeper hole. I found fatheads wroked the best. Jigging with a spoon and minnow head also worked well. Hope this helps a little.

slurpie

Travel got a litle worse out there today with snow melting. Try anything under 15' should be able to get perch and possible other fish.

longbeard34

How has Diamond been lately? How are the ice conditions?

onthelakeBlake

nobody have nething to say about reports since November? Wow i'd feel sorry to be the guy owning a bait store in this area!

jensens

Eyewarrior and Flooringuy-

I noticed the two of you said the mortality rate of returning eyes back to the water after catching them in the deep is quite high. I've never heard of that myself. I'm not doubting you I guess I would just like to hear more about it. What can you tell me about it?

hamrej23

Me too Blake- I am more interested at the moment to drive a little out of the way to get my bait- just my opinion. the three bait shops that are in the area haven't been great I guess. Maybe its just my opinion though.

slurpie

Jensens: look down the mouth of an eye the next time you pull it up from 20+' of water. The sack you will see is the fishes air bladder. The air bladder dont just go back in that fish is dead if you keep it or not. And it is the same with all species of fish. Thats why when a crappie bite happens in deep water the next spring there is dead crappies floating all over. Thats a start maybe someone else will chime in.

J'sBait&Sport

??????????

J'sBait&Sport

???? What no post from FM members has to do with the local bait shop. Hope you are not trying to talk bad about the Shops.

Fishprobe

I have had no problems with the bait shops in the area. I go out of my way to go to J's. He has good live bait and will get you what you want.

BLACKJACK

Jensens: look down the mouth of an eye the next time you pull it up from 20+' of water. The sack you will see is the fishes air bladder. The air bladder dont just go back in that fish is dead if you keep it or not. And it is the same with all species of fish. Thats why when a crappie bite happens in deep water the next spring there is dead crappies floating all over. Thats a start maybe someone else will chime in.

Goto the Ice Fishing topic on this site, their is a topic on deep water crappies and their survival. Opinions on both sides. My own opinion is that if you pull fish from deep water they're dead. During clear ice winters I've seen lots of dead crappies floating under the ice on Games lake, people pull them out of the deep hole, put them back, they 'look' like they swim away ok, but then float to the top dead. Respect the fishery, either keep all fish from 30+ foot deep water or move.

J'sBait&Sport

THNX FISHPROBE,

APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS.

J.

basssmasher*

J runs a good baitshop as far as I'm concerned, I have never had any trouble with him (other then his usual grief I get ) By the way J will you have shiners for me when I go to LOTW in march or are they becoming hard to get?

J'sBait&Sport

Thnx teejay,

When are you leaving for LOTW, I'm planning to make a trip by 19th March myself. Can try to save you a few shinners. Got plenty now.

J.

Eye_Hammer

How is the driving on Norway? Haven't been out since the end

of January. Just wondering after the snow 2 weeks ago.

Thanks

Flooringuy

Drove by yesterday and theres a road plowed to crappie town and two guys where plowing over to the bay west of the landing.

New2TheFly

I'm pretty sure the bait shop owner has his son keep a nicely plowed road to crappie town. Its a good way to stay in business. I got on and off last weekend with a rear wheel drive Ranger.

fishinben351

Fished Norway today very nice day out nice and warm, i graphed a few fish on the vexi. Got one to bite but lost it. Not a very good fishing day! Whats with all the green stuff floating in the water? it was everywhere... i had to scoop it out just to clear my auger hole...

jumpacablez

Anybody Fish Big Kandi?

basssmasher*

Leaving Sunday mid morning J, I will more than likely swing over and get some, do you oxygen pack them too?

J'sBait&Sport

SORRY SOLD OUT,

MAY HAVE A FEW SWIMING AROUND IN THE THE BIN.

J.

basssmasher*

I see how I rate!! lol

jentz

Does anyone fish this area?? Very seldom any posts.Are you all tight lipped or just dont go out??

eyehead

I dont think theres a whole lot going on. Panfishing should start picking up soon with the warmer temps coming though.

slurpie

Been a slow winter with all the snow. And yeah people are tight lipped around there or seems that way.

slurpie

Hey jentz try long lake and Hope lake south of litch big perch to be had there right now.

jentz

Thank You slurpie,I'll be out there Sat. Morning and try it.Wanted to try Diamond but I heard it was slow for pannies.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Eyesniper
      By Eyesniper
      Anyone know for 100% positive who has shiners in the west metro area? Apparently there is a large shortage of them again this year and I prefer them for set lining cats. 
    • Dave S
      By Dave S
      Might be heading up to Borden Lake this weekend. That is, if the ice and travel conditions are good. Is atv travel possible or hasn't there been much traffic on the lake?
    • Jason Johnston
      By Jason Johnston
      We are new to Minnesota fishing, I've read you can have 3 hooks within 9" on a tip up.  Can you have a minnow on each hook?  Or only allowed one bait, for example, a 9" smelt with all the hooks attached?  Kind of a man made lure.
    • Bucketcastle
      By Bucketcastle
      This will be my second year going.  All fish need to be released alive.  Its pretty deep water.  Has barotrauma popped up at all with fish being released at the contest?

• Wheezy Outdoors
      By Wheezy Outdoors
      Variable conditions seems to be the trend this season. This past weekend we had yet another snow storm which dumped approximately 10-12 inches in the Remer, Longville, Outing, and Walker area. Travel has been best still with sleds or track machines. Colder temps the past few weeks have firmed things up on some bodies of water which were once heavy laden with slush, however there are still several lakes that unfortunately we would not advise to travel on until things improve, and with the "January thaw" approaching that might be a while. If you are planning on traveling to the area, call the area resorts or bait shops to get current conditions prior.
      This past weekend was the Winter Inland Trout Opener. Stories of success were across the board. As some people had great success, others struggled. We ourselves definitely had noticed more lookers than takers on the Vexilar, but managed to get a few topside. Fighting the cold front that hit mid Saturday morning, being on the right body of water, and having the right presentation all factored in.
      Lake Trout: Lakers are hitting tipped tubes and spoons in 35'-70' of water. Look to the inside turns, points, and shelves. And the best advice I can give any fisherman targeting trout is STAY MOBILE. Keep moving until you get one on the graph, never spending more than 5-10 minutes in an inactive hole. And not only should you stay on the move, but keep that lure moving consistently, working the entire water column.

Stream Trout: Try searching around 4'-9' of water on the stocked trout lakes. Small spoons like the Clam Speed Spoon tipped with a Maki Plastic or waxie have produced the best.

Panfish: Hit the shallow weedlines for those big Gills, and drill out over the deep basins in 22'-35' feet of water to catch the Crappies. Tungsten jigs tipped with waxies have worked well. Again, the key to success is staying mobile.

Walleye: Still can be found on the shoreline points anywhere from 11'-26' feet of water and on the sunken humps. Jigging using spoons tipped with a minnow head have been best when they have been aggressive. If your noticing them coming in yet seemingly shy of the jig, slow down your movement, and try a simpler presentation. Toss down a set-line with a plain hook tipped with a medium Shiner or small Sucker Minnow.

Alice Wiese
      Wheezy Outdoors
      218-275-7525
      [email protected]

• Randy  Kato
      By Randy Kato
      Hi there was just wondering If there is plans for a Cool cats get together this year Thanks Randy
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      Anyone brave the snow and get out for the trout opener? Based on reports and pictures I seen, if you didn’t have a snowmobile, you weren’t getting anywhere away from the gunflint trail. 

Every time I see it snow in Grand Marais, I cringe. I’m planning on going up there in late March. It’s shaping up to be nothing but slush, slush, and more slush! 😖
    • Eyesniper
      By Eyesniper
      Has anyone been out to big swan recently? Curious how the ice is and if there are spots to avoid as I’ve not fished this lake before. Looking to target cats as my other lakes have been lacking this year. Don’t need other people’s spots just ice conditions. Would like to bring out my 3/4 ton and 17’ IC if possible. 
    • knoppers
      By knoppers
      2020 Current Fishing Reports - Click Here. Show us your pics. 

thought I should start this topic up for the up coming ice season. with the recent warm weather, it may be a another week or more for safe ice travel. please be safe out there.
    • Joe
      By Joe
      2020 Brainerd-Aitkin-McGregor Fishing Reports - Click Here. Show us your pics. 

Lot of nice fishing reports and lake information follow..

The top Brainerd area fishing guides are posting in this report as well.

Have fun and feel free to ask questions.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• nofishfisherman
      Absolutely, we were pretty bummed out the day before the trip when we officially pulled the plug but the morning we planned to leave we woke up to the roads in the twin cities covered in a solid layer of ice so just getting out of town would have been hard.  Then we saw the amount of snow falling up north and it was obvious we made the right call.  It simply wouldn't have been safe to go.
    • bnegs23
      I also had a neighbor who had the same issue with a jiffy auger. It was an older model so he didnt bother to have it repaired. He eventually replaced it with a eskimo propane auger.
    • Hookmaster
      If I fillet using option 2, I usually lose some belly meat. Option 1 I get all the belly meat but I take the ribs out a different way than most. Rick at Highbanks Resort showed me. I'll have to post a video because it's too difficult to explain. Now I'll have to go fishing!!
    • BobT
      Thought I'd post pictures of what I did. I used 1" PVC pipe and designed it so the bottom of the portable is about 7" above the bottom of the skis. I would guess the sled doesn't weigh more than 15 pounds and that might even be exaggerated a little.
    • eyeguy 54
      An example of some crappies smoked yesterday. Call me crazy but I will just eat another fish instead of the thin slice of meat 😁
    • eyeguy 54
      Few years ago I started cutting the rib totally off meat and all on panfish. Gets the tiny bone out also that I don’t like to chew up. Such a small amount of meat is wasted and mostly breading any way. 
    • leech~~
      Yeah, never implied they weren't, or suggested someone should be ashamed. I did offer a solution, I thought? 🤔
    • eyeguy 54
      Lol. 80 seconds and full of bones. I would have two done and boneless 🐟🐟🐟
    • Harmie343
      Went out to Spring Lake on Wednesday evening. Lots of trucks out on upper prior and spring. Saw a 3/4 ton coming off prior. Probably 14” of ice on spring, left my truck in the parking lot and traveled by car from the winter access. We were targeting walleyes but no cigar. Picked up some perch along the way. 
    • FishinFreak17
      Fished out by the airport  around noon til dark on Jan 20 and 21, had about 10-12' of clear ice in 9-10' FOW.  snow drifts can get about 18' deep, but no problem for a snowmobile.  Most people walked out.  Now for the bad news, lots of lookers, but only 4 bites in 9 hours of fishing.  We did get a nice 42" sturgeon on a tipup with a lite pike minnow.  that was all the excitement we had.  Any jigging motion and the fish would bolt.  Hope it improves soon, others out there had similar results.   Good luck.