• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

"Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see what is shared. Just 99 cents to join. Click here please.

Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area'.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

Have Fun!!!

fishing medic

Willmer-Spicer Area Fishing Reports

slurpie

Caught what i wanted on nest. Only missed one fish on green and it was a little eye and that was it. Definely slow out there

MN Shutterbug

Once this weather stabilizes should pick up again. I hope.

You might be waiting a long time. smile

fishinlouie

Hey guys, I am strongly leaning toward driving up (2 hours one way)and fishing Green on Monday for smallies, crappies and eyes. Anything going on? Looks like it will be the 3rd day of stable weather with light winds out of the west. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Flooringuy

I was on Green yesterday temp was 49-50 depending on what part of the lake you are on.

For me the fishing was slow. Maybe some others with better luck will chime in.

eyewarrior

Went to Eagle after the game. When I got to the access somebody coming off the lake said that they had heard that somebody caught 80 yesterday. I watched a guy catch & release alot of 8"-10" eyes in the deep water. What a waste, I dont think they realize the mortalitly rate at that depth. I caught 1 large SM bass. Couldn't find any good eyes.

Flooringuy

Went to Eagle after the game. When I got to the access somebody coming off the lake said that they had heard that somebody caught 80 yesterday. I watched a guy catch & release alot of 8"-10" eyes in the deep water. What a waste, I dont think they realize the mortalitly rate at that depth. I caught 1 large SM bass. Couldn't find any good eyes.

What a shame. Some people just don't understand what pulling a fish out of deep water does.

eyewarrior

Just a reminder to anybody fishing those deep walleyes,some as deep as 80+' on Green mortality is almost 100% from that depth. Even if they swim away they go to the bottom & die. Keep a few if you must but don't sit & pound on them hoping to get a 15" or better. Most of the fish at depth are usually those little guys give em a break & let them grow up until next year when they'll decent keepers.

meatfish

thanks eyewarrior,.every time I go by that mob it is every thing I can do to not say something.With the way they are biting in other spots on all the lakes around here I just don't get it,must be the annual run of the lemmings.Also from watching the CO watch boats and drive through the landings writing down lisense #'s I think some freezers may get checked, he is crafty that way.

Flooringuy

Great post Eye. Seems like the past few weeks when I've been out there that spot is loaded with boats. No sense of fishing that deep knowing that if you don't keep them fish there going to die.

Especially if there the little guys.

harvey lee

Yes many have been catching tons of smaller eyes in the water to 80ft deep. 10-13 inchers and keeoing them.

Sad part is, most will die and some will take way too many.

MN Shutterbug

Might as well go the the grocery store and buy a few cans of sardines. It would cost less and be almost as exciting. smirk

J'sBait&Sport

How can you fille that small of a fish or they get pickled..................

hookjunior

I have the boat all put away already but I have the itch to catch a few walleyes for the frying pan this weekend. Anybody know where I could try from shore? I've noticed a few people fishing ringo, anybody know if they are catching any?

gwiff100

Hows the water temps looking up there??

any chance of getting some ice on these ponds this week/weekend even with the wind?

crappys81

i don't think this weekend,but maybe next week

gr8icefishinmind

If we get a cold calm night it may happen this weekend!!! It is coming quick though!!

broken_line

frozen stiff in my parts =)

skinman

Thinking about fishing Games and Andrew more this year. Taken my 11 year old more this year and just looking for some action to get him hooked on ice fishing. Anyone hve any spots on those two lakes for me to try.

Thanks

Skinman

taylor021

Does anyone have a good spot I can try this weekend? I want the enough ice but the fish as well.

taylor021

Hey guys, i want to head out fishing this weekend. Anybody know some good lakes around Willmar/Spicer that are safe to fish on with a portable this early?

eyewarrior

By this weekend take your pick!

pushbutton

any ice reports on green?

jaymevb

just froze over yesterday or day before but you'd be nuts to think about that lake for awhile..

fishinben351

i have had the most luck on norway out of the lakes in that area. got a lot of nice crappies in front of the point across from the boat launch in about 20 fow.

pushbutton

wasnt thinking about it, just curious if ice formed yet, and how much.

eyehead

just froze over yesterday or day before but you'd be nuts to think about that lake for awhile..

I'll bet there are guys out there by tommorow....Sunday for sure.

chub

There's atleast one portable out there now.......

Next lake west has a P/U truck sitting on it a looooooonnnnnggggg ways from shore.....LOL

5crazykids

There were several houses out in front of Saulsbury/Melvins Friday evening -- plus a couple of four wheelers. Absolutely insane.

taylor021

I went out on games lake yesterday and went about 300 yards out from the access. We had a few big walleye bites that we caught on camera but did not catch anything. everywhere we went there was 7-8in of ice.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Paul Waldowski
      By Paul Waldowski
      Ice Report 1/14/2020. We are now at 15-17 inches everywhere that I have staked. At this time I will not be expanding our road system until after the latest snownommi rolls thru. CAUTION a heave has been developing off the point just to the east of us and with today's wind has pushed up and flooded. I found as few as 6 inches of ice in that area. STAY AWAY from that point.

• Eyesniper
      By Eyesniper
      Anyone know for 100% positive who has shiners in the west metro area? Apparently there is a large shortage of them again this year and I prefer them for set lining cats. 
    • Dave S
      By Dave S
      Might be heading up to Borden Lake this weekend. That is, if the ice and travel conditions are good. Is atv travel possible or hasn't there been much traffic on the lake?
    • Jason Johnston
      By Jason Johnston
      We are new to Minnesota fishing, I've read you can have 3 hooks within 9" on a tip up.  Can you have a minnow on each hook?  Or only allowed one bait, for example, a 9" smelt with all the hooks attached?  Kind of a man made lure.
    • Bucketcastle
      By Bucketcastle
      This will be my second year going.  All fish need to be released alive.  Its pretty deep water.  Has barotrauma popped up at all with fish being released at the contest?

• Wheezy Outdoors
      By Wheezy Outdoors
      Variable conditions seems to be the trend this season. This past weekend we had yet another snow storm which dumped approximately 10-12 inches in the Remer, Longville, Outing, and Walker area. Travel has been best still with sleds or track machines. Colder temps the past few weeks have firmed things up on some bodies of water which were once heavy laden with slush, however there are still several lakes that unfortunately we would not advise to travel on until things improve, and with the "January thaw" approaching that might be a while. If you are planning on traveling to the area, call the area resorts or bait shops to get current conditions prior.
      This past weekend was the Winter Inland Trout Opener. Stories of success were across the board. As some people had great success, others struggled. We ourselves definitely had noticed more lookers than takers on the Vexilar, but managed to get a few topside. Fighting the cold front that hit mid Saturday morning, being on the right body of water, and having the right presentation all factored in.
      Lake Trout: Lakers are hitting tipped tubes and spoons in 35'-70' of water. Look to the inside turns, points, and shelves. And the best advice I can give any fisherman targeting trout is STAY MOBILE. Keep moving until you get one on the graph, never spending more than 5-10 minutes in an inactive hole. And not only should you stay on the move, but keep that lure moving consistently, working the entire water column.

Stream Trout: Try searching around 4'-9' of water on the stocked trout lakes. Small spoons like the Clam Speed Spoon tipped with a Maki Plastic or waxie have produced the best.

Panfish: Hit the shallow weedlines for those big Gills, and drill out over the deep basins in 22'-35' feet of water to catch the Crappies. Tungsten jigs tipped with waxies have worked well. Again, the key to success is staying mobile.

Walleye: Still can be found on the shoreline points anywhere from 11'-26' feet of water and on the sunken humps. Jigging using spoons tipped with a minnow head have been best when they have been aggressive. If your noticing them coming in yet seemingly shy of the jig, slow down your movement, and try a simpler presentation. Toss down a set-line with a plain hook tipped with a medium Shiner or small Sucker Minnow.

Alice Wiese
      Wheezy Outdoors
      218-275-7525
      [email protected]

• Randy  Kato
      By Randy Kato
      Hi there was just wondering If there is plans for a Cool cats get together this year Thanks Randy
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      Anyone brave the snow and get out for the trout opener? Based on reports and pictures I seen, if you didn’t have a snowmobile, you weren’t getting anywhere away from the gunflint trail. 

Every time I see it snow in Grand Marais, I cringe. I’m planning on going up there in late March. It’s shaping up to be nothing but slush, slush, and more slush! 😖
    • Eyesniper
      By Eyesniper
      Has anyone been out to big swan recently? Curious how the ice is and if there are spots to avoid as I’ve not fished this lake before. Looking to target cats as my other lakes have been lacking this year. Don’t need other people’s spots just ice conditions. Would like to bring out my 3/4 ton and 17’ IC if possible. 
    • knoppers
      By knoppers
      2020 Current Fishing Reports - Click Here. Show us your pics. 

thought I should start this topic up for the up coming ice season. with the recent warm weather, it may be a another week or more for safe ice travel. please be safe out there.
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Chill62
      Saturday fished by Dunvilla on lake haven't fished since Christmas. searched all over for them and after 3 augers searching in different directions for an hour we found them hugging a sunken island. landed a big large mouth and a ton of 4-6 inch gills. Crappies were almost impossible to find.    Sunday tried around our cabin. Buried ranger AGAIN. Got out found dry path drilled grid pattern and fish were not in it. Had to drill 60+ holes to find them in a 40x40 area in 33 feet of water. few 10-11.5 inch crappies with one 14" small tungsten with Ripper plastics were ticket again. Hopefully get out this weekend and actually fish during prime time for once lol. 
    • papadarv
      New Navionics Boating app new release today. iOS version 14.8, Android 11.6.1. Biggest change is a requirement to log into your Navionics/ Garmin account before the app will open. (You needed an account to buy the $14.00 annual subscription). Your account allows you to put the Boating app  On all your phones and tablets both iOS and Android at no additional cost. i.e. if you have an Apple phone, iPad, Android phone and tablets, all devices can be loaded with your accounnt, all will contain your Markers, Routes & Tracks. When you open the update the Biating App icon will be on a contour background.  
    • dutchboyII
      😃 Whats better than buying a new boat? (nothing lol)   Congrats, I'm sure you will get many years of use out of it. 
    • Tom Sawyer
    • monstermoose78
      Out of an ice hole
    • Wanderer
      Oh young Grasshopper, some day you’ll know.  And when you do I expect a wedding invitation.   Ya gotta take care of the one who thinks hole lights give off a romantic glow. 😉
    • Rick
      @Jasopete, welcome to FM. Thanks for sharing last years experience.   The guys here are very good guys. Guessing you will get more help yet.   Don't be a stranger, stop by often and share your stories, pucs, videos or whatever. Have fun.
    • AlwaysFishing23
      Well I’m sorry to hear your relationship was interfering with your fishing abilities over the weekend! 😂
    • Wanderer
      Wait till you get married and your wife wants to go. 😂
    • Wanderer
      Congrats you lucky dog! 😁