• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tonka Muskies

Calvinist,

Unless I see a fish, fishy spot or not, I don't spend too much time in one area. I like to cover as much water as possible as most of my trips are limited on time. Keep that boat moving is my philosophy! I can typically work 5-6 different areas in a couple of hours.

I was out last night as well (west end) with Mark Stanley and Mr. Special. I ended up boating a 42" and a 44". The second, larger one actually came after dark while trolling a deep hump. Was cool, but tough to land and release without a flashlight! Only a few small norts this trip which was weird??

------------------
Tonka Boy

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CALVINIST

• Tonka Boy

• Trailblazin

• muskieboy46

Hello all,

Was anyone else out on Tonka last night? What a beautiful evening. I went in search of the elusive ski with JP as first mate. Managed to raise two skis and boat a third fish that went 39". I tell you what, nothing gets a guys heart pumping like seeing those monsters homing in on your lure all the way up to the boat. Fishhawker, we definitely need to get out this weekend.

----------------
HUSKIN FORA MUSK
>< )))))))'>

Some like to work an area briskly, some beat it to death, etc....I know where a 55" class fish lives and it is a matter of time before she hits. I'll need the right conditions and some luck.

Calvinist - If I am working a shoreline say 200-400 yards, I'll make a couple passes. Could be working the inside edges, outside edges, on top ofthe milfoil, etc.....

Boy - I Love this sport!

Not if I get her first TB!

I got a 54 incher last June so it may be the same fish and is 55 inches this year?

Calvanist, I'd love to throw some wood with you! I am out of town until sunday and I told my girl we'd try O'Dowd that day. What does your monday look like?

Huskin for a Musk,

I caught the nort on a smaller gold crainkbait. Not sure of the brand, but it's a deep diver with lots of rattles... it resembles a rapala down deep rattlin fat rap. I was fishing a milfoil point (windward) with a drop off into deep water. The wind had picked up and I saw baitfish everywhere on my locator. I was throwing alot of bigger muskie lures and nothing so I tried something smaller and WHAM!! second cast she hit.

Cupper,

Thanks for the info. Keep up the good posts everyone. Fishhawker, where are you?

Cup,

Monday doesn't look good for me. I'll see how things are later on in the week. Maybe Friday?

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

Calvinist:

I tie a lot of big flies--including muskie and saltwater flies--and I will happily solve your eye problem. I've got about a million of them, all sizes and colors.
You can go two ways. The 3-d eyes are adhesive, and pretty tough but they won't take much abuse before getting scratched up or knocked off altogether. I just stick another one on at that point. For flies, we usually use Goop adhesive or various epoxy preparations, but sticking them to fibers is a different story. For muskie plugs, it's probably best to just slap new ones on. Incidentally, I'm a big believer in eyes on lures and flies. I guided for years on clear smallie rivers and flies with eyes were decisively better, and in saltwater applications eyes are critical. I have little experience with muskies (probably because I stubbornly insist on fishing with a flyrod).
If you want to acquire your own replacement eyes, the best internet source is www.saltwaterflies.com. If you'd like some from me, give me dimensions and colors and an address and I'll shoot some out to you. And if any of you hardcore muskie guys want to give the flyrod a try, or just see it done, let me know. I'm told it's entertaining. I generally throw flies in the 8-12 inch range.

Ice-9
Dave

Ice-9,

Thanks for the help. I picked up some eyes at Thorne Bros, the kind you just peel off and stick on. Yes, I'm a believer too, that eyes are important to how some predator fish orientates it's strike against it's prey. Don't know about muskies though, but just fishing without the one or both eyes on a crankbait doesn't seem quite right. I guess I have more confidence knowing both eyes are on.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

Calvanist,

Friday will be fine if we go PM. I am a teacher and we have workshops all week next week starting monday. I should be done by 3:30 everyday.

I am new to muskie fishing and last week my brother and I fished tonka for muskies. We will be at it again on sunday. I was wondering if there are any tips you guys have for keeping big topwater baits free of milfoil. Thanks

Snagging weeds is just part of it. Sorry, I'd like to give you a sure fire method, but I haven't found it. It's just something you have to deal with.

You can certainly improve your chances of running clean by working the bait over open water and not directly in the weeds. Otherwise I may suggest moving to the calm side of the lake where there is less floating vegitation.

There are also a few "weedless" muskie lures on the market.

------------------
Tonka Boy

Do you change any techniques or lures when there is a lot of boat traffic. Like on a saterday or sunday.

To all,

Anyone out Friday evening or Saturday at all. Fishhawker and I weren't able to locate any skis Friday eve.

Huskin fora musk

Went out to the west end friday night, but no luck there except for a couple nice bass and a nort that my buddy caught at the s.e. corner of Wawataso island. I was out for 2 hours early sat. morning in Wayzata bay. No hook-ups, but had another follow. In fact, it was the same stretch of shoreline (and within 50 yards) I had another follow less than a week ago.

Cupper, I will see if I can make friday evening work, but if I can't make it, would saturday morning work? I usually get out 5:30-6 am, and fish till about 9 or 10. Where do you live and what launch do you usually go to?

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

I was out saterday evening with nothing. Another person in the boat was lazy and jigged a spinner bait off the side of the boat and got 3 northern. i dont understand how he did it though...

Calvanist,

Either Friday or Saturday works for me (maybe leaning a little towards saturday with the vikes playing fri night, but it really doesn't matter). I usually launch at the 3 rivers parks launch near mound. I have never fished wayzata so I am a bit unfamilliar with that area, but I am hoping to give it a go tonight. I will meet you wherever you want and I also don't care who's boat we take. As you can see I am flexible... all I care is that we go muskie hunting!!

Let me know if you want me e-mail.

Huskin,
Did ya get out this weekend at all besides friday? If ya want to hit it this evening , I'm up, otherwise it may be 'til Thursday or Friday before I can hit it again. JB's big day on Wednesday ya know.

Huskin,

I think that'd be a worthwhile investment. Come Oct., my focus will switch to jerkbaits, with the black/orange Suick being my go-to bait. I haven't gotten into many others, but think they would work as well.

Trolling/casting minnow type baits will work well in the fall also.

------------------
Tonka Boy

All of those lures are awesome. But I love the Triple D!!!!!!! Just cast out, reel in a bit to get it downand then I rip it once (jerk it) and pause....Then I start the retrieve again, etc....Most hits come on the pause after the jerk.....

Sat am report - nothing, nada, zilch.....

Fishawker,

I didn't make it out anymore, but really wanted to. Worked 9hr and 6hr Sat.and Sun., so not much time to get out there. I want to try out some new spots next time we go out. Let me know what day works.

Everyone else,

Has anyone used suicks, triple D's, or bulldawgs with any success on Tonka? I am interested in adding a few more lures to my bag, so I thought I'd ask before I purchased.

HUSKIN FORA MUSK

Cupper,

If you want to get out for a few hours on sat. am, that would be ok. I have to get off the lake by 9ish, so we should get an early start, like by 5:30. e-mail me your phone #, or I can give you mine, and we'll discuss details.

[email protected]

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

Huskin,

Hows tonight lookin for ya, I'd like to try these new spots of yours. Looks like the weather may hold for us.l Got my fingers crossed

Hawker,

Maybe tonight, I'll check with JP to make sure we don't have anything going.

Thanks for all of your tips on Tonka muskies. I got my first Muskie last night on the west end of the lake. Did not have a measuring tape. My guess was around 33". She fought hard for only wieghing 6.8 Lbs. The healthiest fish I have seen all year. After I got her safely released, I was casting like a madman thinking I was going to hook into another. There were a few swells in the weeds but no other fish. I can't wait until next time.

Congrats on your 1st! Nice to get that one out of the way huh?

I'll be back out tonight on the west end. With any luck I'll have that low 50's fish that has been bugging me for the past week! I'll report back tomorrow.

TB

Last night was pretty slow for this guy. Probably one of the low points of the past few weeks any how. I only managed 1 follow and my bud got a 30" nort. Always fun regardless...

------------------
Tonka Boy

Cupper,

I'll call you thursday night and discuss saturday morning.

Tonight I am going out solo, the multi-species plan. I'll try for a ski, but also want to wet a line for walleye, which I haven't done for awhile, and also see if I can locate some crappies and gills. Maxwell, North Arm, and possibly Stubbs will be my general area of focus.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

Should have little trouble with the crappies...they distracted me big-time last night. I was popping them on my lindy rig, including some nice ones. They just fade out of the weeds at dark.

Ice-9